Why Florida is an awsome place to live

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: Why Florida is an awsome place to live

Post by Witness »

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson »

It's funny because it's horrible and it's true
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

Witness

Post by Witness »

Florida identified more than 3,300 Hepatitis A cases this year, nearly triple the number in the previous five years combined

The Hepatitis A public health emergency has resulted in 3,327 cases identified by the Department of Health this year. The most recent week saw an additional 49 cases reported.

That’s according to the latest department numbers covering Jan. 2019 through Dec. 2019. But health officials hope the outbreak is on its way to being contained.

The 2019 figures represent a sharp climb from 2018, which saw just 548 Hepatitis A cases. That mark was also an increase from previous years. In 2017, just 276 cases were identified. The number of Hepatitis A reports failed to top 123 cases from 2014 to 2016.

In total, 1,175 cases were identified from the five-year period covering 2014 to 2018. That’s nearly one third of the cases from 2019 alone.

The contagious virus can attack the liver and is spread through consumption of contaminated food or water and from person to person. That can happen, for instance, if people don’t wash their hands adequately after going to the restroom.

While additional cases were identified in the past week, the rate of new cases has slowed. That’s thanks in part to efforts to increase vaccinations and public awareness about the outbreak. During his September briefing, Rivkees estimated will need to vaccinate 80 percent of the state’s high-risk population to get a handle on the outbreak.

That “high-risk” pool is made up of the homeless and drug-addicted population.
https://floridapolitics.com/archives/31 ... is-a-cases

Witness

Post by Witness »

White nationalist who ran for Senate arrested in Florida

Florida authorities say they have arrested a white nationalist who ran for the U.S. Senate in Florida and was a featured speaker during the deadly 2017 “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia

MELBOURNE, Fla. -- A white nationalist who ran for the U.S. Senate in Florida and was a featured speaker during the 2017 “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, was arrested on charges of kidnapping, domestic violence and possession of a firearm during a crime of violence.

Augustus Sol Invictus, 36, was arrested Monday at a Florida mall by Brevard County Sheriff's deputies on a warrant issued out of South Carolina, the Miami Herald reported. Jail records described him as an “out of state fugitive.”
Invictus, an Orlando-area attorney, has called for violent uprisings. During his 2016 Senate bid to unseat U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, he got widespread attention for claiming that he killed a goat and drank its blood as part of a pagan ritual. He failed, however, to win the nomination from Florida's Libertarian Party to challenge Rubio.

White nationalist Richard Spencer, who organized the deadly Charlottesville rally that refocused attention on the country's frayed race relations, had credited Invictus with drafting the core tenets behind the rally.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/whi ... a-68023615
Wikipedia wrote:Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus ("Unconquered Sun") was the official sun god of the later Roman Empire and a patron of soldiers. On 25 December AD 274, the Roman emperor Aurelian made it an official cult alongside the traditional Roman cults.[2] Scholars disagree about whether the new deity was a refoundation of the ancient Latin cult of Sol,[3] a revival of the cult of Elagabalus,[4] or completely new.[5] The god was favored by emperors after Aurelian and appeared on their coins until the last third-part of the reign of Constantine I.[6] The last inscription referring to Sol Invictus dates to AD 387,[7] and there were enough devotees in the fifth century that the Christian theologian Augustine found it necessary to preach against them.[8]
The sunshine state! :mrgreen:

ed
Title: Not gay

Post by ed »

I should have pointed this out earlier.

our coolness extends to New Years where, in Key West, we drop a high heel with a transvestite.

Does not get cooler than that.

About that stereo

ed

Post by ed »

I welcome embarrassed admissions of what gets dropped in YOUR city.
Here, a list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... ar%27s_Eve

Lots of "Balls" some fruit but only here do you find a real live fruit!!!

The coolness of florida continues to astound me.
About that stereo

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

I thought Key West is now an independent republic.

But I guess it still counts as Florida.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

WaPo:
Democracy is literally on the ballot

It’s a political truism: The candidate whose name appears first on the ballot has an advantage over the competitors listed below. That’s not just folklore — numerous studies around the country have shown that candidates who are listed first receive more votes. The advantage is so marked that in Illinois, one of several states where ballot position is based on the order of filing, candidates wait in line overnight to gain the top spot.

Elsewhere, the way ballot order is determined varies widely from state to state. In November, a federal court blocked Florida’s ballot order law, which automatically gave the top position in every race to the candidate of the party of the last-elected governor.

As a result of that law, Republican candidates have been listed first in every race on every ballot in the state for the last two decades. In 2016, Donald Trump’s name appeared before Hillary Clinton’s. In 2018, Ron DeSantis was listed above Andrew Gillum in the gubernatorial race, and Rick Scott was listed above Bill Nelson in the election for U.S. Senate.

The federal court in Florida struck down the ballot order statute because it unconstitutionally gave candidates of the governor’s party — in this case Republican candidates — an unfair advantage over their Democratic opponents. The court found the advantage to Republican candidates to be, on average, five percentage points. Trump defeated Clinton by just over one percentage point. DeSantis won his election for governor by four-tenths of a point. And Scott beat Nelson by just one-tenth of a point.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

Witness

Post by Witness »

Florida 2020 Python Bowl to offer prizes for eradicating invasive snakes

MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla.
– Forget the Super Bowl, a different kind of slithering competition is set to bring big prizes to the Sunshine State with the Florida Python Challenge.

The contest, which is open to hunters of all skill levels, is a partnership between the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the South Florida Super Bowl Host Committee and a number of public and private agencies.

The Florida 2020 Python Bowl kicks off Friday, Jan. 10, with competitors being tasked to remove Burmese pythons from specific areas of the Everglades. Those who catch the most and longest pythons in each skill category will be awarded what’s promised to be some impressive prizes.

“We need to get this snake under control so we can have a healthy environment in the Everglades,” says “Alligator Ron” Bergeron, a champion for Florida’s vast ecosystem.

Bergeron says the only way the billion-dollar Everglades restoration project can be successful is if pythons are eradicated. The non-native snakes can can grow to be 20 feet long and weigh 200 pounds.

“There’s a lot of invasive animals in the Everglades, but this one is extremely dangerous to the environment because it becomes top of the food chain.” said Bergeron.
https://www.local10.com/features/2020/0 ... ve-snakes/

Nothing about trilobites. :|

ed

Post by ed »

Trilobites maintain a low profile, <.5" generally
About that stereo

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Furthermore, trilobites are not an invasive species in Florida. Or at least most of them are not. :)

Witness

Post by Witness »

ed

Post by ed »

Southern? Shit, that's my backyard.
About that stereo

WildCat

Post by WildCat »

Iguana curry solves the iguana problem!

Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Mmm-mm! Steaks and chops on the grill tonight. :Hungry2:

ed

Post by ed »

Closer to me

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/loca ... e-counties

Had one as a pet once. Damn thing bit my nose. Still have scars.
About that stereo

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

It just dawned on me.

Big Orange ... :)

ed

Post by ed »

We have it all down here :)
About that stereo

Witness

Post by Witness »

How Miami Became a Haven for Venezuelan Jews

Since the 1980s, the population of Jews in Venezuela fell from 25,000 to 5,000

Miami is home to a large Latin American Jewish population. The first wave of Jewish immigrants from Latin America came from Cuba after Fidel Castro’s revolution in 1959. The area has since seen Jews come from a number of other countries in the region - including Venezuela, Colombia, Mexico, Argentina and Peru.

The fastest growing ethnic group within the Jewish community of Miami is Hispanic Jews, who represent the plurality of foreign-born adults, according to a 2014 population study by the Greater Miami Jewish Federation. The study also found that Venezuela was the fourth largest home country for foreign-born Jews in the region - after Israel, Cuba and Argentina.

Venezuelans have continued to move since then and many settle in North Miami Beach and nearby Aventura, a Miami suburb.
https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premiu ... -1.8375028

ed

Post by ed »

Can I take it that there is no symbolism or other hidden meaning connected to this post coming on the heals of a few posts on an invasive species?

You realize that if the story was about Africans you'd be a racist by now, right?
About that stereo