Why Florida is an awsome place to live

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
clarsct

Re: Why Florida is an awsome place to live

Post by clarsct » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:22 am

Florida....

Where we send the old people to die.

The nursing home of the US, that is.

Ed seems right at home....
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife

quarky

Post by quarky » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:59 am

One hilarious sight in Florida is the bill boards advertising cheap cremations. It's quite competitive.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:21 pm

There's currently a tropical depression forming off the coast of Ed's Pond.

I hope he's alright.

quarky

Post by quarky » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Like before?

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:56 am

Piffle, I rarely get depressed since I moved here.

Back to business ...

Unusually large hogfish caught off Venice
:o :o Wow :o :o
VENICE - A pair of local restaurant owners caught an unusually large hogfish this weekend, more than double in size of most local catches and only an inch short of the area record.

Sam Chavers, 62, and Jane Corliss, 65, owners of Captain Eddie's Seafood Restaurant in Nokomis, landed the 28.5-inch long fish while spearfishing shortly before noon Sunday.

Weighing exactly 11 pounds, the hogfish does not come close to the state record of 19 pounds, 8 ounces caught near Daytona Beach. But it is still one of the biggest seen in these parts.

“I've killed hogfish for years, and I've never seen one close to this size before,” Chavers said. “If you catch a 5-pounder offshore here you've caught a nice fish.”

Most of the commercially caught hogfish are the size of a football or a little larger, but Chavers' catch was the size of his chest. The fish still had its bright pink color Tuesday, with four tusk-like teeth protruding menacingly from its mouth.

Chavers said he and Corliss were spearfishing about 32 miles offshore of Venice Inlet when they caught the male hogfish. It was swimming near a ledge on the ocean floor in 104-foot-deep water when Chavers speared it.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Brandon Basino said hogfish rarely exceed 23 inches in length. The largest hogfish on record in the area was only one inch longer than this one.

Chavers and Corliss have more than 50 years of spearfishing experience combined, but prior to Sunday's catch the biggest hogfish landed by either of them was an 8.5-pounder Corliss caught in the Dry Tortugas.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20 ... picks=true

Awesome!!!
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

ed

Post by ed » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:17 pm

Pacu, piranha's larger cousin, caught in Sarasota
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20 ... picks=true

Awesome.

robinson
Title: Be good to each other

Post by robinson » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:44 pm

You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

robinson
Title: Be good to each other

Post by robinson » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:47 pm

Welcome to Florida

Want to go swimming in the river?
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Wow, even the fish in America have great teeth.

jacks
Title: double dipshit

Post by jacks » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Giz wrote:Wow, even the fish in America have great teeth.
I see what you did.

ed

Post by ed » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Man buys Fla. house, finds corpse on bedroom floor
Updated 4:18 am, Thursday, November 6, 2014

CAPE CORAL, Fla. (AP) — A southwest Florida man found a body inside a foreclosed house he purchased at an auction.

The News-Press of Fort Myers (http://newspr.es/1s8ADXq) reports Cape Coral resident William Wilson bought the light pink house for $96,000 on Tuesday. When he went to evaluate his purchase Wednesday, he found a corpse on the master bedroom floor.

Cape Coral police cordoned off the property and began a death investigation.

Neighbors told the newspaper two sisters had lived in the home but no one had seen them for a while. Police told Wilson the most recent piece of mail was from November 2011 and unpaid property taxes went back three years.
http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/articl ... 875142.php

Its those little unannounced extras that make all the difference.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:28 am

ed

Post by ed » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:01 pm

That is a definite improvement over our previous nickname "The Dangling Turd State"

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:03 pm

ed wrote:That is a definite improvement over our previous nickname "The Dangling Turd State"
For realz, "Dangling Turd"?!?Image

Some cryptozoologist wrote:THE MOST FREQUENTLY REPORTED STRANGE CREATURE IN FLORIDA, IS THE SKUNK APE. Bizarre stories of encounters with a giant, shaggy haired, man-like ape, who smells like rotted cabbage, has circulated through Florida's history and folklore for hundreds of years. In recent times, encounters with this creature have been reported in newspapers and on television news. Those who have claimed encounters with the Skunk Ape, have provided descriptions of what is called the Big Foot, or Sasquatch, of the Northwest United States. The Florida Skunk Ape, also called the Swamp Monkey, Bardin Booger, among other names, is said to stand 7 to 8 feet tall, estimated to weigh 300 to 600 pounds, with long shaggy hair and a man-like face. In virtually all cases, the strange critter is said to emit a foul odor which smells like a spoiled cabbage, or a skunk. Hench the name Skunk Ape. There are numerous Indian legends in Florida which mention giants, or what could have been a man-beast. We also find mention of the "Sand People" and the "Mangrove People", in Indian legends, which some researchers believe could have been tribes of some unknown primate.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:24 am

I knew someone from Florida who swore by the existence of the Skunk Ape.

Made fantastic espresso.

EXPLAIN THAT!!1!!!!1!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

ed

Post by ed » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:07 pm

[youtube]i-dkMhHD9K0[/youtube]

The Myakka Skunk Ape

-- Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:11 am --
Witness wrote:
ed wrote:That is a definite improvement over our previous nickname "The Dangling Turd State"
For realz, "Dangling Turd"?!?Image{/quote]

Uhhhh ... yeah ... The Dangling Turd State. Thats why we all laughed at the "Hanging Chads".

Some cryptozoologist wrote:THE MOST FREQUENTLY REPORTED STRANGE CREATURE IN FLORIDA, IS THE SKUNK APE. Bizarre stories of encounters with a giant, shaggy haired, man-like ape, who smells like rotted cabbage, has circulated through Florida's history and folklore for hundreds of years. In recent times, encounters with this creature have been reported in newspapers and on television news. Those who have claimed encounters with the Skunk Ape, have provided descriptions of what is called the Big Foot, or Sasquatch, of the Northwest United States. The Florida Skunk Ape, also called the Swamp Monkey, Bardin Booger, among other names, is said to stand 7 to 8 feet tall, estimated to weigh 300 to 600 pounds, with long shaggy hair and a man-like face. In virtually all cases, the strange critter is said to emit a foul odor which smells like a spoiled cabbage, or a skunk. Hench the name Skunk Ape. There are numerous Indian legends in Florida which mention giants, or what could have been a man-beast. We also find mention of the "Sand People" and the "Mangrove People", in Indian legends, which some researchers believe could have been tribes of some unknown primate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_ape

AKA The MYAKKA Skunk Ape
<n.b. I should do a video of my adopted city some day>

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:33 pm

What happened to Myakka Moe?

Still around, or did the alleged ape get him (or is it her)?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos. -- Abdul Alhazred

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:21 pm

Froze up.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:18 pm

It's a bit nippy hear at the beach. I turned on the fireplace. I'm working from my laptop down in the cozy den. Trying not to watch tv. Trying to focus. Working through a stack of crap. Shut up.

ed

Post by ed » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Not me :D :De_Bunk: