Not Suitable for Kitten Pics Thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Not Suitable for Kitten Pics Thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:31 pm

The correction was retaliation for not calling them the next day. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:43 pm

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:23 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:30 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:59 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:53 am

Kangaroo making its way to the pouch:

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:20 pm

Sent from Gram's Me Mum:
Thomas (Tomm) WJ Mulligan of Nashua has passed away at home in his recliner as he had threatened to for years.

He was a kid from Brooklyn who grew up to live the American Dream of marriage, a career, a house in the suburbs and two pain in the ass kids. He attended Bishop Ford High School.

He was a DIYer with no less than five unfinished projects at any time.

Tomm worked in technology at Lahey Clinic for over 20 years where he was clearly indispensable but his exact position remains a mystery. He never missed the opportunity to make an inappropriate joke or take a cigarette break. He was an exceptional office Santa.

His passions included comic books, playing the lotto and making his children uncomfortable. He also really loved cheese.

His love of Doctor Who was only surpassed by his love of not wearing pants at home. He often combined these two interests.

Tomm had spent the last few years lovingly caring for his wife, Iris, who has advanced dementia. He will be remembered by all who knew him, Except Iris of course. Everyone else though.

He is survived by his wife, Iris Mulligan; his favorite daughter Kim Mulligan of L.A.; his other daughter Amy Schiripo and her husband Alex of Dracut; his grandchildren Xander and Alana Schiripo to whom Tomm was devoted; his brother Keith Mulligan and niece Mariah Borthwick of Brooklyn.

Services will be held at 10 a.m. on Saturday, July 27th at St. Louis de Gonzague Church, 48 West Hollis St., Nashua. Burial will follow in St. Louis Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to childsplaycharity.org. To leave an online condolence, story, or message please visit www.ANCTIL-ROCHETTE.com.

The Telegraph Not Read by the People Who Think the Country is Run by Another Country
–J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:11 pm

St. Louis de Gonzague used to be the French Catholic church in Nashua. When she was a girl my mother went in there to say confession and got thrown out because she spoke English. They now do masses in English and Spanish, no French.

Also, my first full-time job was at the Nashua Telegraph. I'm amazed they're still in business.

Edited to add: I just went through the websites of all five Roman Catholic churches in Nashua. None of them do French anymore. When I was a boy growing up in Nashua, St. Louis de Gonzague was all French, St. Stanislaus did masses in Polish, and of course there were several English and Latin masses at the others as well. Now it's mostly English, but you can get Spanish, Latin or Vietnamese mass.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:05 pm

shemp wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:11 pm
St. Louis de Gonzague
His portrait by Goya, no less:

And his (lapis lazuli) shrine in Rome:

:mrgreen:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:19 pm

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Bringing home the -- so to speak -- bacon. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:36 pm

↑↑ The picture is of course upside down. Here's another from the same photographer:

But this one is also fake:
A Fake Makes it to the Smithsonian's Photo Contest Finalists

[various snips]

The fakery does not involve photoshop. Given what I know of this species, I suspect the insects were posed as follows.

Oecophylla smaragdina, the Asian weaver ant, is not shy about attacking intruders to its treetop territories. The scene can be set by taunting guard ants, who stand to attention and look around for something to bite. If you hand an ant something into which she can sink her toothy jaws, she will grab and hold; this species is unusually tenacious and the guards will cling to offending items for some time.

update (3/13/2013): The Smithsonian has contacted the photographer, who admits to staging the photographs exactly as I describe above:
Adiyato explains that he fed seeds from different plants to the ants and lifted, placed, and stacked the ants on the branch himself. Once the ants were in these positions, he took the photograph. He writes, in an email, that he has been observing and studying ants because of their outsized power.

We also asked Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History entomologist Ted Schultz about the scene. "Like Alex Wild says, they wouldn’t really be carrying these things for any reason. On top of that, they wouldn’t really be hanging upside down holding them like that. It is not like they are going to eat those things, those [seeds] are not food for them."
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/co ... finalists/

Be weary of any picture like this one:

Not necessarily but probably at least staged.

Another often used trick is to capture some insects/arthropods and put them in a fridge. After that they are sluggish (or even dying), will grab to anything, and you can compose a "scene" without them scurrying away. :|

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:19 am

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:27 am

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:33 am

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:44 am

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:49 am

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:12 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:14 am

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:45 pm

AC is on a roll!
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.