'Murica

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: 'Murica

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

It's the security camera footage you need to see.
Turn off the sound.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:13 pm
It's the security camera footage you need to see.
"Need"? :notsure:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Lynching is when the whole town turns out to watch.

Not just a "hate crime" but literally a popular act.

The last one officially so noted was 1959.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

It has happened more recently in Mexico.

As far as this particular case, it sort of reminds me of the Travon Martin situation.

I did see the video of him at the construction site. It doesn't seem to prove anything, although wouldn't that be trespassing?

He came, he looked. Didn't see anything worth stealing, and went on his way. I have no idea if he was a burglar, but even if he was, that's a matter for the police, not vigilantes.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:06 pm
He came, he looked. Didn't see anything worth stealing, and went on his way.
If that is the case, he was a burglar. By definition.

Doesn't mean OK to kill him of course.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:20 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:06 pm
He came, he looked. Didn't see anything worth stealing, and went on his way.
If that is the case, he was a burglar. By definition.

Doesn't mean OK to kill him of course.
To clarify, that's one possible way to interpret the video. It doesn't prove that he intended to steal anything.

It could be that he was just curious, but the other footage of him entering at night on multiple previous occasions does suggest something more than just idle curiosity.

(The Daily Fail article Witness posted said "Ahmaud's family says it proves that he was not burglarizing homes, as the McMichaels claimed" but clearly that video "proves" nothing of the sort, and in fact suggests that it might indeed be exactly what he was doing.)
William Shakespeare

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

It's rather telling that most if not all people are more concerned with how guilty the dead black guy might or might not be, rather than the vigilante assholes who blew him away rather than engage the authorities.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:12 pm
It's rather telling that most if not all people are more concerned with how guilty the dead black guy might or might not be, rather than the vigilante assholes who blew him away rather than engage the authorities.
Nor that it took 3 months to prosecute said assholes:
Witness wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:22 pm
The case passed between three prosecutors over three months before charges were finally brought

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Uh, no. I don't support vigilantism in any way, and it is right that they be charged with homicide of some degree. I don't really buy a "self-defense" justification when they are the ones who tried to confront him with weapons and perform a "citizen's arrest" even though they aren't police officers. Self-defense (if that's what it is) never would have been necessary if they hadn't confronted him with guns in the first place. I don't think you get to claim self-defense when you initiated the confrontation and when the other guy is unarmed and simply running down a road.

At the same time, there's also a dubious narrative being put forward that he was just a jogger. It's OK to take a skeptical look at that narrative too. For context.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

It is a truism that most cases on homicide (other than either way during armed robbery) the victim and perp are already known to one another in some way. You wouldn't think so from the coverage so far, but it looks like this may be such a case.

Accused Ahmaud Arbery gunman called cops 12 days before fatal shooting
NY Post

Up to four of McMichael’s neighbors were already searching for the suspect, McMichael said. One of them, Diego Perez, said he armed himself before leaving his home to search for the man, as did McMichael’s 64-year-old father, Gregory McMichael, Perez told the newspaper.

So not a jogger, that's just something some flak made up. Nor random white supremacy as a motive.

But the business of "stalking" absolutely becomes a lot more credible.

Witness

Post by Witness »

'American Soil' Is Increasingly Foreign Owned

American soil.

Those are two words that are commonly used to stir up patriotic feelings. They are also words that can't be taken for granted, because today nearly 30 million acres of U.S. farmland are held by foreign investors. That number has doubled in the past two decades, which is raising alarm bells in farming communities.

When the stock market tanked during the past recession, foreign investors began buying up big swaths of U.S. farmland. And because there are no federal restrictions on the amount of land that can be foreign owned, it's been left up to individual states to decide on any limitations.

It's likely that even more American land will end up in foreign hands, especially in states with no restrictions on ownership. With the median age of U.S. farmers at 55, many face retirement with no prospect of family members willing to take over. The National Young Farmers Coalition anticipates that two-thirds of the nation's farmland will change hands in the next few decades.

"Texas is kind of a free-for-all, so they don't have a limit on how much land can be owned," say's Ohio Farm Bureau's Ty Higgins. "You look at Iowa and they restrict it — no land in Iowa is owned by a foreign entity."

Ohio, like Texas, also has no restrictions, and nearly half a million acres of prime farmland are held by foreign-owned entities. In the northwestern corner of the state, below Toledo, companies from the Netherlands alone have purchased 64,000 acres for wind farms.

There are two counties in this region with the highest concentration of foreign-owned farmland — more than 41,000 acres each. One of those is Paulding County, where three wind farms straddle the Ohio-Indiana line.

Higgins says that this kind of consumption of farmland by foreign entities is starting to cause concern. "One of the main reasons that we're watching this ... is because once a foreign entity buys up however many acres they want, Americans might never be able to secure that land again. So, once we lose it, we may lose it for good."

His other concern is that every acre of productive farmland that is converted over to something other than agriculture is an acre of land that no longer produces food. That loss is felt from the state level all the way down to rural communities, where one in six Ohioans has ties to agriculture.
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/27/72350179 ... eign-owned

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:09 pm
'American Soil' Is Increasingly Foreign Owned

substantial fear mongering omitted

His other concern is that every acre of productive farmland that is converted over to something other than agriculture is an acre of land that no longer produces food. That loss is felt from the state level all the way down to rural communities, where one in six Ohioans has ties to agriculture.
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/27/72350179 ... eign-owned
So a corporation, be they foreign or domestic, buys up a million acres of farmland and lets it sit fallow? The logic escapes me. The fear eludes me. The property taxes on that land will eat them alive. Besides, we're so fucking over-productive already that we're burning corn for fuel in our cars.

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Indeed, nothing to prohibit wind + agriculture:

(Hoping the canola doesn't get cancer, of course…)

I read it more as a political fear.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Pennsylvania just became the third state to ban child marriage

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf on Friday signed into law a ban on child marriage, making it the third state to fully outlaw marriage for people under the age of 18. Only Delaware and New Jersey also ban child marriage.

Pennsylvania's legislature unanimously voted to approve the ban last, and Wolf signed it into law as part of House Bill 360, which set 18 as the minimum age to obtain a marriage license. Before the ban, an applicant younger than 16 could obtain a marriage license with court approval, and those between the ages of 16 and 18 could obtain one with parental consent, CBS News Pennsylvania affiliate WKBN reports.

According to Unchained, an organization that works to end forced and child marriage in the United States, an estimated more than 2,300 children between 15 to 17 living in Pennsylvania were married under those exceptions since 2014.

According to marriage-license data from across the United States analyzed by Unchained, some 248,000 children at least as young as 12 years old were married in the U.S. between 2000 and 2010. An overwhelming majority of them were females.

"These were not 'Romeo and Juliet' situations," Unchained says on its website. "Some 77% of the children wed were minor girls married to adult men, often with significant age differences. Some children were wed at an age, or with a spousal age difference, that constitutes statutory rape under their state's laws."

The minimum marriage age in most U.S. states is 18, according to Unchained, but 47 states allow people under 18 to get married through exceptions like parental consent or judicial approval. Several states do not have any minimum age for which children cannot marry.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pennsylvan ... ird-state/

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Super.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Nearly 1 in 5 US kids are obese, according to latest data

NEW YORK (AP) — Nearly 1 in 5 U.S. kids are obese, according to the latest national data.

The news is disappointing, given that programs across the country have for years been trying to reduce childhood obesity, one expert said.

“We really were expecting and hoping to see the trends decrease,” said Dr. Tannaz Moin, a UCLA obesity researcher.

Obesity — which means not merely overweight, but seriously overweight — is one of the nation’s leading public health problems. Adult obesity also has been trending upward, but childhood obesity is especially worrisome because it can put kids on track for problems like diabetes and heart disease, she said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention findings come from a gold-standard health survey that measures participants’ height and weight. The latest data come from surveys done in 2017 and 2018, when more than 2,800 U.S. children participated.

It found 19.3% of kids ages 2 to 19 were obese. That’s up slightly from the 18.5% in the 2015-2016 national survey. The increase isn’t considered statistically significant, meaning there’s a mathematical chance the rates didn’t truly rise.

But it follows an upward trend since 2005-2006, when 15.4% of U.S. kids were obese.

The percentage of kids who are severely obese remains at about 6%, where it’s been for several years, the CDC found.

A range of factors contribute to childhood obesity, including eating a lot of processed foods and sugary beverages, and a lack of physical exercise.
https://apnews.com/45b59ad0c4c3996de75ab407ebec4c26

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:36 pm
Nearly 1 in 5 US kids are obese, according to latest data

NEW YORK (AP) — Nearly 1 in 5 U.S. kids are obese, according to the latest national data.

The news is disappointing, given that programs across the country have for years been trying to reduce childhood obesity, one expert said.

“We really were expecting and hoping to see the trends decrease,” said Dr. Tannaz Moin, a UCLA obesity researcher.
https://apnews.com/45b59ad0c4c3996de75ab407ebec4c26
Let me provide some balance to that, Witness.
Report: 1 in 5 U.S. children at risk of hunger

The number of families that struggle to get enough food has increased in recent years.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture reported that in 2010, 14.5% of households in the United States -- about 17.2 million -- lacked the resources to provide enough food for everybody. Among those, about 6.4 million households saw normal eating patterns disrupted or reduced because there wasn't enough food.
https://www.cnn.com/2011/11/23/us/cnnhe ... index.html

There. All better.
Spoiler:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Note that "at risk" of hunger does not mean they are going hungry at all.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:47 pm
Note that "at risk" of hunger does not mean they are going hungry at all.
CDC: One In Five Gay Men HIV-Positive

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a report Thursday that found one in five gay men is HIV-positive.
https://khn.org/morning-breakout/aids-gay-men/
Israel's Religiously Divided Society | Pew Research Center
When asked, “What is your present religion, if any?” virtually all Israeli Jews say they are Jewish – and almost none say they have no religion – even though roughly half describe themselves as secular and one-in-five do not believe in God.
https://www.pewforum.org/2016/03/08/isr ... d-society/
Americans cannot agree on what behaviors are anti-Semitic

One in five Jews identifies as Republicans, a slightly smaller percentage than the 25 percent overall.
https://today.yougov.com/topics/philoso ... tisemitism
Is the British Jewish community snobbish?

But despite the warped convictions of the far right and the far left, according to most estimates, around one in five Jews don’t identify as middle class.
https://www.thejc.com/lifestyle/feature ... d-1.495186

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

The only one I'd give any credibility is 1 in 5 gay men HIV positive, subject to the usual disclaimers.
It is not like the others in that it presumes to measure something precisely definable.