'Murica

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: 'Murica

Post by Rob Lister »

One in five reporters hyphenate one-in-five.
Witness

Post by Witness »

High Court to decide if police can enter your home and steal from you

Everyone knows stealing is wrong. It’s one of the few moral principles observed across cultures and history. It’s so deeply ingrained that our children often know not to steal by the time they enter kindergarten.

So, you’d think police would know too. But according to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, you’d be wrong. Applying a judge-made doctrine called “qualified immunity,” the court held that California police who stand accused of stealing $225,000 cannot be sued because they never were told specifically that stealing money from people’s homes violates the Constitution.

Such an opinion is outrageous. The nonprofit Institute for Justice recently filed a brief urging the U.S. Supreme Court to weigh in and do away with qualified immunity. The high court will decide whether to take the case on May 15.

The theft case is Jessop v. City of Fresno. It involves two business partners, Micah Jessop and Brittan Ashjian, who operated and serviced ATMs. Suspecting that the men were operating an illegal gambling business, Fresno police searched their homes and other property.

The officers did not discover any criminal activity, and neither man was charged with a crime. But after the police left, Micah and Brittan discovered criminal activity by the officers. They had taken more than $200,000 in rare coins and cash, including currency kept on hand to restock ATMs.

Micah and Brittan filed a lawsuit, arguing that police had violated the Fourth Amendment by stealing their money. But the trial court held that police were immune from liability. The Ninth Circuit agreed, holding that even if stealing money from a person’s home violates the Constitution—an issue the court declined to decide—qualified immunity shields the officers from accountability.

Created by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1982, qualified immunity was a drastic departure from the historical standards of government accountability. Starting at the founding of the United States, courts held government officials strictly liable for their unlawful acts.
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/05/14/h ... -from-you/
Witness

Post by Witness »

John Jovino, Oldest Gun Shop in NYC Closes Permanently

https://untappedcities.com/2020/05/20/j ... rmanently/ for the details.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Tht's a shame. It looks like one-stop-shopping for cops. Look next door.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Very nice, but the nurses and doctors were working pro bono.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:54 am Image
Have they spotted a black three year old with a white doll?
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Hotarubi wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:58 am
Witness wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:54 am Image
Have they spotted a black three year old with a white doll?
No, they're pretty nice generally, unless you're a hard working Mexican drug dealer. That piece of war machinery is an example of what they spend their massive amounts of drug seizure money on.
https://www.newswest9.com/article/text/ ... fb18ad2cee

That particular photo shows their SWAT team responding to a local bar protesting the Covid closure.
https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/ ... to-reopen/
solely

Post by solely »

The two guys with guns are way too fat! for such young men.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Here's how George Washington ran up a $17,253 bar tab two days before signing the Constitution

Washington's Farewell to His Officers by Alonzo Chappel
  • George Washington and his soldiers celebrated the signing of the Constitution by racking up a $17,253 tab.
  • The soldiers were also celebrating Washington being elected as the first president of the newly-independent country.
  • The exact details of the night are hazy but the receipt for the night was saved in the First Troop Cavalry archives.
America was built on alcohol. Many of the founding fathers distilled or brewed their own booze because the ingredients needed to make it flourished perfectly in the soil of the newly formed United States. Remember, Samuel Adams isn't just some fictional mascot made up to publicize a brewing company and Budweiser's "George Washington recipe" is actually historically accurate.

The party had roughly 55 guests, which included troops, politicians, friends, and family — along with 16 more people who were working that night, including musicians, servers, and hosts. The details of the night are hazy but the receipt for the night was saved in the First Troop Cavalry archives.

By the end of the night, Washington's party drank: 54 bottle of Madeira wine, 60 bottle of Bordeaux wine, 8 bottles of old stock whiskey, 22 bottles of porter ale, 8 bottles of hard cider, 12 jugs of beer, and 7 large bowls of punch. The staff and musicians also drank 16 bottles of Bordeaux wine, 5 bottles of Madeira wine, and seven bowls of punch.

The bill also includes a tab for many broken glasses, which, adjusted for inflation, equals about $300 worth of reimbursements. The final bill came out to £89 and 4 schillings — or roughly $17,253 in 2018 dollars.

The impressive part of this story isn't that they drank it all — or the fact that drinks back then tended to be more potent than their modern counterparts — but the fact that Washington was functional enough just two days later to see the Constitution signed.
https://www.businessinsider.com/george- ... ion-2018-9
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Doesn't matter anymore.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Majority of African Americans mostly satisfied with local police department: Poll
Washington Examiner

The headline is the story.

Analysis:
1) Not surprising really. Who do you think calls the cops on crimes in black neighborhoods?
2) OTOH, it's a "poll" so nothing proven.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Mongolia provides USD 1 million aid to USA

The Mongolian Cabinet has decided to provide humanitarian assistance worth USD 1 million to the United States of America to help the country cope with COVID-19 pandemic. The money will be allocated from the government’s Reserve Fund. According to figures from the Johns Hopkins University in Maryland, the U.S. has seen nearly 1.8m infections and surpassed 105,000 deaths in the Covid-19 pandemic.

The United States established diplomatic relations with Mongolia in 1987. Since then, the U.S. has been firmly regarded as Mongolia’s most important “third neighbour”—a country that does not border Mongolia, but has strategic relations with it.

Previously, Mongolia has pledged to give meat aid worth USD 1 million to Russia and a donation of 30,000 sheep to China.
https://news.mn/en/792737/

:mrgreen:
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Not New Zealand?

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness

Post by Witness »

:mrgreen: