'Murica

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: 'Murica

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Stereotypes only exist because people try their hardest to live up to them.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Perhaps you'll be interested:

gnome

Post by gnome »

Decided to enjoy neighborhood fireworks today. Just sorta walked around a loop my house is on. Saw at least three displays of people who had obviously put significant money into it. In the background was a constant crackle and boom that is still going on an hour later. It makes sense, since many community displays have been canceled to avoid drawing crowds.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Witness

Post by Witness »

House passes bill to make Washington DC the 51st state
  • The House passes a bill to make Washington, D.C., the 51st U.S. state.
  • Republicans oppose the legislation and are unlikely to pass it in the Senate.
  • Washington, D.C., which has long decried having to pay taxes without voting representation in Congress, would get one representative and two senators.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/26/house-p ... state.html

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Let DC revert to the state of Maryland, with the exception of the White House, Capitol building, and Supreme Court.

Problem solved.

And there's already precedent for DC territory reverting, because the original District of Columbia also contained a chunk of Virginia which later reverted.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:54 am
Let DC revert to the state of Maryland, with the exception of the White House, Capitol building, and Supreme Court.

Problem solved.

And there's already precedent for DC territory reverting, because the original District of Columbia also contained a chunk of Virginia which later reverted.
You know, that actually sounds like a decent idea. It would solve the democracy problem without particularly favoring one party.

You might add a few more federal buildings and areas like the mall, the monuments, but let all the residential areas become part of Maryland state.

Why not? :notsure:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:29 am
Why not? :notsure:
Because then it would not fit in with the Democrat power grab.

Which is all it is. Otherwise why didn't they do it when Obama was in office?

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Maryland volunteered to take them years ago but the Dems wouldn't get more congress members so it was a non-starter.

gnome

Post by gnome »

They might--wouldn't adding the previously unrepresented population to Maryland possibly increase their representative count?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Harvard, MIT Sue Immigration Authorities Over Rule Barring International Students from Online-Only Universities

Harvard and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology filed a lawsuit in District Court in Boston Wednesday morning against the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, according to University President Lawrence S. Bacow.

The lawsuit seeks a temporary restraining order and preliminary and permanent injunctive relief to bar the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement from enforcing federal guidelines barring international students attending colleges and universities offering only online courses from staying in the United States.

The guidelines would mandate that they transfer to an institution offering in-person instruction or risk “immigration consequences including, but not limited to, the initiation of removal proceedings.”

“The order came down without notice—its cruelty surpassed only by its recklessness,” Bacow wrote in an email to affiliates. “We believe that the ICE order is bad public policy, and we believe that it is illegal.”

DHS and ICE did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2020 ... thorities/

gnome

Post by gnome »

Does anyone else pick up the idea that this is part of an overall tactic to pressure educational institutions to reopen to physical classes faster?
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

What else would it be?

gnome

Post by gnome »

I could be less charitable and suppose it's "Here's another chance to be unreasonably strict on immigration and residency policy, which our constituency loves.", AKA "Because fuck you guys."
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

gnome wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:26 pm
"Because fuck you guys."
One way or another, always an element of that. :)

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Did the Texas Legislature Honor the Boston Strangler?

An April Fool's lesson on the perils of vetting material you haven't read thoroughly.

Back in 1971, Rep. Tom (not “Tim”) Moore, Jr. of Waco, Texas — knowing that his fellow legislators in the Texas House of Representatives often passed bills and resolutions without fully reading or understanding them — pulled an April Fool’s joke on the House by sponsoring a resolution commending Albert de Salvo for his unselfish service to “his county, his state and his community.” That resolution read, in part:
This compassionate gentleman’s dedication and devotion to his work has enabled the weak and the lonely throughout the nation to achieve and maintain a new degree of concern for their future. He has been officially recognized by the state of Massachusetts for his noted activities and unconventional techniques involving population control and applied psychology.
The joke, of course, was that Albert de Salvo was more commonly known as the Boston Strangler, assumed to be responsible for the murders of thirteen women in the Boston area between 1962 and 1964. (Technically, de Salvo was never convicted or put on trial for any of those killings — he was sentenced to life in prison for sexual assaults on several other women and confessed to the thirteen murders as well. He was stabbed to death in prison in 1973, and whether he actually committed the murders he confessed to has been a subject of controversy ever since.)

As Rep. Moore expected, he saw his resolution passed unanimously; he then withdrew it and explained that he had offered the motion only to demonstrate a point. (A bit of sardonic humor offered at the time claimed that perhaps Moore was wrong: maybe the legislators had been paying attention.)
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/texas ... strangler/ for the rest.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Damn I'm old. I remember laughing about it at the time. :oldman:

Witness

Post by Witness »

BREAKING: South Carolina Supreme Court BANS No-Knock Warrants

The South Carolina Supreme Court has temporarily banned no-knock warrants, the type of warrant that was responsible for the death of Breoanna Taylor.

Police carry out 20,000 no-knock raids a year, and many of the victims are completely innocent. And according to The Justice Collaborative, 100 people have died due to no-knock raids since 2010.
The court announcement on Friday said circuit and summary judges cannot sign off on the warrants until they receive further instruction on how to issue the warrants from the state's judicial branch.

The order says that most magistrates do not understand the gravity of the warrants.

The court acknowledged the dangers executing such warrants can pose to both members of the public and to law enforcement.
Mostly, no-knock raids are a by-product of the war on drugs, where police suddenly break into a person's door in the middle of the night or during the day and completely destroy their homes. But oftentimes unconstitutional Red Flag Laws (where officers take away your legally-owned firearm because a judge thinks you're a threat based on anyone's testimony of you, regardless of whether it is factually validated or not) are responsible for them.

No-knock warrants were also used for years to plant evidence based on completely false police reports that were fabricated by police officers. They also completely violate the 4th Amendment. Hopefully other states will follow suit, as the majority of voters want no-knock warrants eliminated.
https://www.thedailyfodder.com/2020/07/ ... court.html