'Murica

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
gnome

Re: 'Murica

Post by gnome »

They might--wouldn't adding the previously unrepresented population to Maryland possibly increase their representative count?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Harvard, MIT Sue Immigration Authorities Over Rule Barring International Students from Online-Only Universities

Harvard and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology filed a lawsuit in District Court in Boston Wednesday morning against the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, according to University President Lawrence S. Bacow.

The lawsuit seeks a temporary restraining order and preliminary and permanent injunctive relief to bar the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement from enforcing federal guidelines barring international students attending colleges and universities offering only online courses from staying in the United States.

The guidelines would mandate that they transfer to an institution offering in-person instruction or risk “immigration consequences including, but not limited to, the initiation of removal proceedings.”

“The order came down without notice—its cruelty surpassed only by its recklessness,” Bacow wrote in an email to affiliates. “We believe that the ICE order is bad public policy, and we believe that it is illegal.”

DHS and ICE did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2020 ... thorities/
gnome

Post by gnome »

Does anyone else pick up the idea that this is part of an overall tactic to pressure educational institutions to reopen to physical classes faster?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
gnome

Post by gnome »

I could be less charitable and suppose it's "Here's another chance to be unreasonably strict on immigration and residency policy, which our constituency loves.", AKA "Because fuck you guys."
--Soldier, TF2
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Did the Texas Legislature Honor the Boston Strangler?

An April Fool's lesson on the perils of vetting material you haven't read thoroughly.

Back in 1971, Rep. Tom (not “Tim”) Moore, Jr. of Waco, Texas — knowing that his fellow legislators in the Texas House of Representatives often passed bills and resolutions without fully reading or understanding them — pulled an April Fool’s joke on the House by sponsoring a resolution commending Albert de Salvo for his unselfish service to “his county, his state and his community.” That resolution read, in part:
This compassionate gentleman’s dedication and devotion to his work has enabled the weak and the lonely throughout the nation to achieve and maintain a new degree of concern for their future. He has been officially recognized by the state of Massachusetts for his noted activities and unconventional techniques involving population control and applied psychology.
The joke, of course, was that Albert de Salvo was more commonly known as the Boston Strangler, assumed to be responsible for the murders of thirteen women in the Boston area between 1962 and 1964. (Technically, de Salvo was never convicted or put on trial for any of those killings — he was sentenced to life in prison for sexual assaults on several other women and confessed to the thirteen murders as well. He was stabbed to death in prison in 1973, and whether he actually committed the murders he confessed to has been a subject of controversy ever since.)

As Rep. Moore expected, he saw his resolution passed unanimously; he then withdrew it and explained that he had offered the motion only to demonstrate a point. (A bit of sardonic humor offered at the time claimed that perhaps Moore was wrong: maybe the legislators had been paying attention.)
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/texas ... strangler/ for the rest.
Witness

Post by Witness »

BREAKING: South Carolina Supreme Court BANS No-Knock Warrants

The South Carolina Supreme Court has temporarily banned no-knock warrants, the type of warrant that was responsible for the death of Breoanna Taylor.

Police carry out 20,000 no-knock raids a year, and many of the victims are completely innocent. And according to The Justice Collaborative, 100 people have died due to no-knock raids since 2010.
The court announcement on Friday said circuit and summary judges cannot sign off on the warrants until they receive further instruction on how to issue the warrants from the state's judicial branch.

The order says that most magistrates do not understand the gravity of the warrants.

The court acknowledged the dangers executing such warrants can pose to both members of the public and to law enforcement.
Mostly, no-knock raids are a by-product of the war on drugs, where police suddenly break into a person's door in the middle of the night or during the day and completely destroy their homes. But oftentimes unconstitutional Red Flag Laws (where officers take away your legally-owned firearm because a judge thinks you're a threat based on anyone's testimony of you, regardless of whether it is factually validated or not) are responsible for them.

No-knock warrants were also used for years to plant evidence based on completely false police reports that were fabricated by police officers. They also completely violate the 4th Amendment. Hopefully other states will follow suit, as the majority of voters want no-knock warrants eliminated.
https://www.thedailyfodder.com/2020/07/ ... court.html
Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:43 pm Finally some movement on this issue.
Could be a (positive) fallout of the protests & riots, some having realized that The Police™ isn't universally perceived as "dein Freund und Helfer". Nor does it act as such.

The line I highlighted (judges being unaware of the seriousness of what they prescribe) sounds like BS to me: they just don't give a fuck about little people having their door smashed in.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:32 am Cops as friend and helper? What say it in German?
I was alluding to this:

(Posted a variant in the "Foreign country" thread some time ago. Really, you should pay attention. :P )
Witness

Post by Witness »

Federal judge rules women can get abortion pill without doctor visits

SILVER SPRING, Md. (AP) — A federal judge agreed Monday to suspend a rule that requires women during the COVID-19 pandemic to visit a hospital, clinic or medical office to obtain an abortion pill.

U.S. District Judge Theodore Chuang in Maryland concluded that the “in-person requirements” for patients seeking medication abortion care impose a “substantial obstacle” to abortion patients and are likely unconstitutional under the circumstances of the pandemic.

“Particularly in light of the limited timeframe during which a medication abortion or any abortion must occur, such infringement on the right to an abortion would constitute irreparable harm,” the judge wrote in his 80-page decision.

Chuang’s ruling will allow healthcare providers to arrange for mifepristone to be mailed or delivered to patients during the public health emergency declared by the secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved mifepristone to be used in combination with a second drug, misoprostol, to end an early pregnancy or manage a miscarriage.

“By causing certain patients to decide between forgoing or substantially delaying abortion care, or risking exposure to COVID-19 for themselves, their children, and family members, the In-Person Requirements present a serious burden to many abortion patients,” Chuang wrote.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/fed ... tor-visits

We'll see if it lasts.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:31 am
U.S. District Judge Theodore Chuang in Maryland concluded that the “in-person requirements” for patients seeking medication abortion care impose a “substantial obstacle” to abortion patients and are likely unconstitutional under the circumstances of the pandemic.
I'm not gonna say you're off-topic, but ...

judge theodore chuang

...you're really stretching it.
solely

Post by solely »

Theodore, that's a good sturdy name for a judge.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Rob Lister wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:06 am ...you're really stretching it.
Not Murican enough to your taste, I gather?

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Appropriate. Bomb the fuck out of them, use their oil to feed the Umercan dream. Because Freedomz!!!
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The images are from the Library of Congress. There are some real gems in that collection.

Clara's Beauty Salon, Jensen Drive, Houston, Texas (LOC)
Margolies, John,, photographer.
Clara's Beauty Salon, Jensen Drive, Houston, Texas
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Dunno where to put that, so here it goes:

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:07 pm Dunno where to put that, so here it goes:
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Witness

Post by Witness »

Ooooooooh, how cute! I managed to trigger both of them! I'll award myself a :figamagee:

:lmao:

But now I have to leave as my pasta requires some delicate operations…
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:09 pm But now I have to leave as my pasta requires some delicate operations…
A success. Delicious farfalle with a cheese sauce based on lovingly ripened roquefort and ground dried hot pepper bells. Yum! :)
robinson

Post by robinson »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:43 pm I've done similar recently, except a less snooty variety of cheese [*].
Mozzarella1 makes for a nice refreshing entremets; once heated you're left with just a bland blob of fat (some salt added). No wonder Italians use grana padano or parmigiano on their pasta. If you don't like the pungency of roquefort you can try gorgonzola. And on pizza even Swiss cheeses like gruyère (but a good one) or sbrinz:

1 The somewhat similar scamorza affumicata is much more interesting:

Witness

Post by Witness »

This one's for ed:

:mrgreen:
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:08 am I happen to have some Bel Gioioso brand Wisconsin Gorgonzola on hand right now, but I didn't think to put it on pasta. 8)

I suppose Wisconsin Gorgonzola is illegal in Italy (or maybe the whole EU), but not worth smuggling (unlike some illegal substances). :BigGrin3:
You cannot have Wisconsin Gorgonzola. Pandering to European culture as usual. Cut those apron strings.

Invent your own stuff. Come on. You can do it. :mrgreen:
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Witness

Post by Witness »

Slightly color minced onions in a dab of olive oil in a non-stick pan. (I'd add garlic at that point…) Put to one side, replace with the gorgonzola cut in pieces, heat till melted (low heat!). Add ad lib. black pepper, chives, parsley (some grains of cumin if you like that). Add cream if you want a more fluid sauce. Return the onions to the pan, let simmer for 1 – 2 minutes while stirring, pour over the pasta. (Or add the pasta to the gorgonzola if you're the lazy type.)

Bon appétit! Of course it will destroy your diet. :mrgreen:
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:43 am Just because the cheesemakers' ancestors came to America doesn't mean they can no longer make cheese the way they did on the old country.
EH. Different feed, different animals. Not difficult. Not the same product.
It's just economic protectionism. So fuk'm.
Not really. Its its name, and it's from the region where it's made
After Europe goes Muslim it will only be in America that one will find these things. :p
Fucking held Abdul. That's a level of cynical hatred. Of both Europe and Muslims. Wow. Didnt expect that.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Hotarubi wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:38 am
After Europe goes Muslim it will only be in America that one will find these things. :p
Fucking held Abdul. That's a level of cynical hatred. Of both Europe and Muslims. Wow. Didnt expect that.
I see the cynicism, the hatred; not so much. You guys share a hottube of hyperbole. Stop making bubbles.
robinson

Post by robinson »

robinson

Post by robinson »

Anaxagoras wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:51 am In the spirit of the Japan thread and the Russia thread, I think we need a 'Murica thread.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:26 pm Thanks Witness.

Just slapped a slab of that gorgonzola on top of some otherwise cheeseless baked macaroni. :Hungry2:
I live to serve. Even so I have some trouble exactly picturing that: a kind of gratin? :?

robinson

Post by robinson »

Murica is an awful country

Why do so many people from other countries want to get in?

Because other countries are much much worse
Witness

Post by Witness »

robinson

Post by robinson »

To save time

Just make every denomination have a black transgender drag queen on it

Problems solved
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

U.S. gunmaker Remington files for bankruptcy again

(Reuters) - Remington Arms Co on Monday filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for the second time in two years as the U.S. gunmaker faced financial troubles partly because some retailers placed restrictions on gun sales after school shootings.

The gunmaker has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in U.S. Bankruptcy court for Northern District of Alabama, according to the court filing.

In the filing, the company listed its assets and liabilities both in the range of $100 million to $500 million.

The gunmaker has filed for bankruptcy before in 2018 after sales faltered and the company had trouble meeting requirements of its lenders. It exited bankruptcy protection the same year under the ownership of its creditors.

U.S. retailers have placed restrictions on gun sales after school shootings, hurting manufacturers such as Remington. A Remington Bushmaster rifle was used in the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting in Connecticut in 2012 that killed 20 children and six adults, making it central to debates over gun policy.

Remington has been trying to dismiss a lawsuit filed by the families of the victims related to the marketing of the company’s guns. It is scheduled to go on trial next year.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-remi ... SKCN24T0CL
Witness

Post by Witness »