'Murica

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: 'Murica

Post by Witness » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:38 am

xouper wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:10 am
That's one brave (or rilly rilly hungry) bird to have enough nerve to get that close (and linger that long) to a known predator species who is also wielding a lethal weapon. Kudos to the nice guy for letting the bird pilfer his meat.
I'd say it's not the first time, or the bird would have scurried away after grabbing the morsel.

https://i.imgur.com/hBxkSHq.gifv

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:58 am

'Uniquely American': Senate passes landmark bill to enlarge national parks

Bill sets aside more than 1m acres of new wilderness and conservation areas including rivers in California and Utah

Joshua Tree and Death Valley national parks are to be enlarged, and stunning river landscapes in California and Utah will be protected, under new legislation that passed the US Senate on Tuesday.

In all the public lands package sets aside more than a million acres of new wilderness and conservation areas in western states.

The Natural Resources Management Act passed 92-8 in the Republican-controlled Senate, a notable bipartisan effort in an administration marked by conservation rollbacks. Since Donald Trump took office, his administration has shrunk national monuments and put large swaths of land up for oil, gas and mining leases, including on the doorsteps of national monuments, parks and wilderness areas. The bill will go to the Democrat-controlled House next, where it’s likely to pass, and then to the president’s desk.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... s-expanded

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:30 am

Tennessee trying to re-ban gay marriage

State lawmakers in Tennessee introduced a bill that would ban same-sex marriage.

The "Tennessee Natural Marriage Defense Act" would "defend natural marriage between one man and one woman regardless of any court decision to the contrary."

The move comes nearly four years after the Supreme Court made same-sex marriage legal throughout the country. The same bill was introduced in 2016, 2017 and 2018, but has never passed. It was re-introduced Friday.

Introduced by Sen. Mark Pody and Rep. Jerry Sexton, both Republicans, the bill also prohibits government officials from facilitating same-sex marriages, and states that these officials cannot be arrested for disavowing court orders that recognize such unions.

One barrier that could prevent the bill’s passage is its projected cost. In 2017, the General Assembly estimated that the Natural Marriage Defense Act could cause approximately $9 billion in federal funding to be withheld from the state.
https://www.wthr.com/article/tennessee- ... y-marriage

Just posturing, if I understand that last line correctly? :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:39 am

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:30 pm

I like it. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:39 pm

Here's one I used to deploy a lot over by JREF. :wink:

Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:39 pm

Witness wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:30 am
Just posturing, if I understand that last line correctly? :mrgreen:
You do. 8)

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:49 pm

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:48 am

Witness wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:39 am
"Please God, give me tits like that when I grow up."
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:51 am

Witness wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:49 pm
Should be "Critical thinking and ... nothing. There is no second thing. Just critical thinking."

ETA: Thought better of this and it should be critical thinking and debating. Yes, I suck at both, that's how I know the value of them both! :)

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:55 am

Do schools really need to teach us how to use toilet paper?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:59 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:55 am
Do schools really need to teach us how to use toilet paper?

--J.D.
Huh?

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:45 am

Taliban say they are not looking to rule Afghanistan alone

ISLAMABAD (AP) — The Taliban said Wednesday they are not seeking a “monopoly on power” in a future administration in Afghanistan but are looking for ways to co-exist with Afghan institutions — the most conciliatory statement to date from the militants.

The Taliban, who now control almost half the country and carry out near-daily attacks mainly targeting Afghan security forces, issued the statement amid intensified U.S.-led talks to resolve the long-running Afghanistan war. U.S. envoy Zalmay Khalilzad reported this week that there had been “agreements in principle” toward a framework for peace with the Taliban.

The statement Wednesday by Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen appears aimed at easing fears among those worried about any agreement that includes the Taliban. Its unusually conciliatory tone also could offer Khalilzad greater leverage as he seeks to rally Afghanistan’s leadership behind his peace efforts.
https://www.apnews.com/0624283628154a48b09f31ff173e3ad9

Strains credulity.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:10 am

A Missouri Bill Would Target Atheists Who File Church/State Separation Lawsuits

Whenever a church/state separation lawsuit lists the plaintiffs, it’s not unusual to see initials in place of their real names, if not a pseudonym like “Jane Doe.” That’s for good reason: If their names ever became public, they could be stalked or bullied (or worse) in their communities, many of which are extremely religious (which is why there are church/state separation problems in the first place).

Judges understand this. They may require the plaintiffs to appear before them or use their real names in sealed documents, but they usually allow the people to remain anonymous in the public record if there’s a legitimate reason for it.

Missouri State Rep. Hardy Billington, a Republican Baptist who recently said his goal in office was to “stand up for Christian values,” wants those atheists to suffer.

Billington recently filed a bill, HB 728, that would force adult plaintiffs to use their real names in any cases involving church/state separation… and only cases involving church/state separation. Apparently, if you sue over a Ten Commandments monument outside of a public school, everyone needs to know your real name.
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/201 ... -lawsuits/ for details.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:30 pm

I was unaware atheist activists were filing suit anonymously, and also unaware that was possible.

Where are our SC lawyers?

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:55 am

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:26 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:08 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:51 am

Sex outside of marriage may soon be legal in Utah

The Utah State Legislature on Tuesday passed a bill that repealed the misdemeanor crime of fornication, making sex outside of marriage legal within the state.

The House passed Senate Bill 43 with a 41-32 vote, FOX13 Salt Lake City reported. The bill is headed to Republican Gov. Gary Herbert’s desk for his signature or veto. It was unclear if he supports the bill. The bill didn’t sit well with some conservative members of the state House.

“What is legally is often far below what is morally right,” said state Republican Rep. Kevin Stratton, who objected to the bill. “And I recognize our laws are not strong enough to rule an immoral people.” [ :lmao: ]

Sex between those unmarried was criminalized in 1973. The bill that passed Tuesday was part of the legislature’s efforts to clean up its criminal code, removing unenforceable laws from the books, state Republican Rep. Paul Ray told FOX13.

The Utah Legislature previously passed a bill removing adultery and sodomy among consenting adults as punishable crimes in the state, the station reported.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fornic ... be-illegal

All The Values© are crumbling. :shock:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:05 am

Witness wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:51 am
Sex outside of marriage may soon be legal in Utah

The Utah State Legislature on Tuesday passed a bill that repealed the misdemeanor crime of fornication, making sex outside of marriage legal within the state.

The House passed Senate Bill 43 with a 41-32 vote, FOX13 Salt Lake City reported. The bill is headed to Republican Gov. Gary Herbert’s desk for his signature or veto. It was unclear if he supports the bill. The bill didn’t sit well with some conservative members of the state House.

“What is legally is often far below what is morally right,” said state Republican Rep. Kevin Stratton, who objected to the bill. “And I recognize our laws are not strong enough to rule an immoral people.” [ :lmao: ]

Sex between those unmarried was criminalized in 1973. The bill that passed Tuesday was part of the legislature’s efforts to clean up its criminal code, removing unenforceable laws from the books, state Republican Rep. Paul Ray told FOX13.

The Utah Legislature previously passed a bill removing adultery and sodomy among consenting adults as punishable crimes in the state, the station reported.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fornic ... be-illegal

All The Values© are crumbling. :shock:
First point is, there may be a law "on the books" but the Supreme Court has basically ruled that laws like that cannot be enforced, so repealing it would just be a symbolic step in any case (unless the Supreme Court changes its mind).
Second is, if they already repealed the laws against sodomy and adultery, was "fornication" just an oversight?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare