A Thought for the Day

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 26509
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:19 pm

xouper wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:18 am
That springs forth a multitude of thoughts:
  • They start out saying "Any odd prime" and then later say, wait, no, it only applies to certain odd primes.
  • There are only two kinds of odd prime numbers, those that are "congruent to 1 modulo 4", and those that are "congruent to 3 modulo 4".
  • Abdul will appreciate the use of the word "modulo" and ed will be confused by it.
  • There are no even prime numbers that are "congruent to 1 modulo 4", therefore the theorem is true for any prime number, not just odd prime numbers.
  • Mathematicians sometimes have a funny way of expressing theorems.
  • For the non-mathematician, the phrase "congruent to 1 modulo 4" means if you divide a number by 4 the remainder is 1. Example: 13 divided by 4 has a remainder of 1.
  • For any whole number, if you divide it by 4, the remainder will be either 0, 1, 2, or 3. Those are the only possibilities.
  • There is only one prime number that is "congruent to 2 modulo 4", and that is 2. That is to say, 2 divided by 4 has a remainder of 2.
  • There are no prime numbers that are "congruent to 0 modulo 4". That is to say, there are no prime numbers that are divisible by 4 with no remainder.
  • The phrase "congruent to 1 modulo 4" also implies there exists a number x such that p = 4x + 1. This should be obvious because if you divide 4 into (4x +1) then you get a remainder of 1.
  • Shemp has absolutely no choice but to live the rest of his life by those words, irregardless what he might want to do instead.

and

https://fermatslibrary.com/s/a-one-sent ... newsletter
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 34166
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by ed » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:36 pm

preview.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 9340
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: just passing through

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by xouper » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:19 pm
xouper wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:18 am
That springs forth a multitude of thoughts:
  • They start out saying "Any odd prime" and then later say, wait, no, it only applies to certain odd primes.
  • There are only two kinds of odd prime numbers, those that are "congruent to 1 modulo 4", and those that are "congruent to 3 modulo 4".
  • Abdul will appreciate the use of the word "modulo" and ed will be confused by it.
  • There are no even prime numbers that are "congruent to 1 modulo 4", therefore the theorem is true for any prime number, not just odd prime numbers.
  • Mathematicians sometimes have a funny way of expressing theorems.
  • For the non-mathematician, the phrase "congruent to 1 modulo 4" means if you divide a number by 4 the remainder is 1. Example: 13 divided by 4 has a remainder of 1.
  • For any whole number, if you divide it by 4, the remainder will be either 0, 1, 2, or 3. Those are the only possibilities.
  • There is only one prime number that is "congruent to 2 modulo 4", and that is 2. That is to say, 2 divided by 4 has a remainder of 2.
  • There are no prime numbers that are "congruent to 0 modulo 4". That is to say, there are no prime numbers that are divisible by 4 with no remainder.
  • The phrase "congruent to 1 modulo 4" also implies there exists a number x such that p = 4x + 1. This should be obvious because if you divide 4 into (4x +1) then you get a remainder of 1.
  • Shemp has absolutely no choice but to live the rest of his life by those words, irregardless what he might want to do instead.

and

https://fermatslibrary.com/s/a-one-sent ... newsletter
Thanks for adding that, but I'm confused why you are bringing attention to Zagier's "one-sentence proof" which was already included in the link I gave (at wikipedia). Did you have some additional comment you wanted to add?

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 26509
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:16 pm

No, and I have no idea why you're making an issue of it. Do you think I am somehow criticizing you? Because I'm not. Chalk it up to my own failure to click on the link you posted. All I was doing was providing the source of the image I originally posted.

The mathematics is far beyond my intellectual capacity. Compared to yours, I'm a moron. I can't even pass a MENSA test.

The only reason I posted in the first place was because the word "modulo" was in the image and that word has become a sort of forum joke.

I am now asking myself why I am explaining myself.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 9340
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: just passing through

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by xouper » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:59 pm

xouper wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:03 pm
Did you have some additional comment you wanted to add?
Pyrrho wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:16 pm
No, and I have no idea why you're making an issue of it.
Well, this is embarrassing. :oops:

I asked for an explanation because I am sometimes too stupid to figure out what someone's point is when they make a post without also including some comment that tells us what their point is.

xouper wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:03 pm
Do you think I am somehow criticizing you?
No, I did not think that. Not even a little bit. I apologize for giving the wrong impression.

Pyrrho wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:16 pm
Because I'm not. Chalk it up to my own failure to click on the link you posted. All I was doing was providing the source of the image I originally posted.

The mathematics is far beyond my intellectual capacity. Compared to yours, I'm a moron. I can't even pass a MENSA test.
Mensa tests are overrated. IQ is overrated. Other skills are usually far more important. Especially some of your skills, which I am highly envious of. I mean that sincerely. Ever go to a dinner party with a bunch of Mensans? Boring.

Pyrrho wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:16 pm
The only reason I posted in the first place was because the word "modulo" was in the image and that word has become a sort of forum joke.
Yeah, I saw that part and commented, although apparently my contribution to the running gag didn't come across as amusing as I had intended it to be.

Pyrrho wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:16 pm
I am now asking myself why I am explaining myself.
I assume you are explaining because I invited you to explain. I apologize for not explaining my request better. I was merely curious what your point was, is all. And now you've explained and all is well.

Image

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 73349
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:37 pm

Hey ed!

You wear that in public? :p
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 18794
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Witness » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:06 am

"Christians, it is needless to say, utterly detest each other. They slander each other constantly with the vilest forms of abuse and cannot come to any sort of agreement in their teaching. Each sect brands its own, fills the head of its own with deceitful nonsense, and makes perfect little pigs of those it wins over to its side."
– Celsus (2nd Century C.E.)

User avatar
shemp
Posts: 5367
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:16 pm
Title: stooge

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by shemp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:00 pm

"People are equally horrified at hearing the Christian religion doubted, and at seeing it practiced." -- Samuel Butler
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

User avatar
Carr
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:01 am
Title: Floor Walker
Location: Road Prison 36

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Carr » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:52 pm

There's no butt-hurt in A Thought for the Day thread!

If you must have butt-hurt, you will have your butt-hurt Saturday afternoon!

Any man who has butt-hurt in A Thought for the Day thread spends a night in the box!
Any man who don't keep order spends a night in the box!

User avatar
shemp
Posts: 5367
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:16 pm
Title: stooge

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by shemp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:56 pm

Carr wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:52 pm
There's no butt-hurt in A Thought for the Day thread!

If you must have butt-hurt, you will have your butt-hurt Saturday afternoon!

Any man who has butt-hurt in A Thought for the Day thread spends a night in the box!
You ought to know about butt-hurt, you backwoods fag! Yours must look like the Grand Canyon.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

User avatar
ed
Posts: 34166
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by ed » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:18 pm

shemp wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:56 pm
Carr wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:52 pm
There's no butt-hurt in A Thought for the Day thread!

If you must have butt-hurt, you will have your butt-hurt Saturday afternoon!

Any man who has butt-hurt in A Thought for the Day thread spends a night in the box!
You ought to know about butt-hurt, you backwoods fag! Yours must look like the Grand Canyon modulo erosion.
fify
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
shemp
Posts: 5367
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:16 pm
Title: stooge

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by shemp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:09 pm

bite me
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

User avatar
ed
Posts: 34166
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by ed » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:23 pm

yo mama

modulo yo mama
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 18794
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Witness » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:35 am

If Presidents don't do it to their wives, they do it to the country.
– Mel Brooks

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 26509
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:26 pm

Image
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 69160
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:57 pm

I know that guy.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 23249
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:36 am

Image
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 18794
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Witness » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:00 am

Image

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 69160
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:31 am

I suspect that therein lies the problem here. Most of you gentlemen have written your memoirs. I've read them. The past tense is a very sturdy thing. It's earned, but it does take for granted that one has survived. Present is a different case entirely, and so I've come here to ask you what is your plan?

And when will it begin?

--Lady Jane, The Terror
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 18794
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Witness » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:54 am

Image