A Thought for the Day

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:22 am

Crinkum-crankum n. a woman's commodity: the private parts of a modest woman, and the public parts of a prostitute.

--Francis Grose, Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue, 1784
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:57 am

Let me address that [Moral option--Ed.] specifically. There is a fundamental fallacy in the arguments about Soviet intervention as an alternative. . . . The reality is, hundreds of thousands of Japanese were captured by the Soviets, combatants and noncombatants. 1.7 million total. . . . There was a book published couple of decades ago by a Japanese scholar who said that the number of Japanese who perished in Soviet captivity was between 300,000-500,000. . . . If you presume we are going to let the Soviets to the invasion and secure the end of the war, that means a Soviet occupation zone in Japan. The math is that about one out of seven Japanese who fell into Soviet captivity were going to die. Do the math. How many more Japanese are going to die? We come to talk about moral consequences, it seems to me that we have to recognize all of it. We don't create a hierarchy of victims in which some noncombatants are entitled to compute--complete immunity and other noncombatants are not even worth discussing.

--Richard B Frank, Truman's Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb
--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:06 pm

A cynic is a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, and not as they ought to be.
-Ambrose Bierce

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:10 pm

People are entirely too disbelieving of coincidence. They are far too ready to dismiss it and to build arcane structures of extremely rickety substance in order to avoid it. I, on the other hand, see coincidence everywhere as an inevitable consequence of the laws of probability, according to which having no unusual coincidence is far more unusual than any coincidence could possibly be.
Isaac Asimov

Like, you know, maybe that rich donor guy who had two male prostitutes die at his house in the space of a year? After all, opioid overdoses are really on a sharp rise in recent years. Could it just be that?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:10 pm
People are entirely too disbelieving of coincidence. They are far too ready to dismiss it and to build arcane structures of extremely rickety substance in order to avoid it. I, on the other hand, see coincidence everywhere as an inevitable consequence of the laws of probability, according to which having no unusual coincidence is far more unusual than any coincidence could possibly be.
Isaac Asimov

Like, you know, maybe that rich donor guy who had two male prostitutes die at his house in the space of a year? After all, opioid overdoses are really on a sharp rise in recent years. Could it just be that?
Or he's a rich mother fucker with plenty of very high-quality heroin. Some guests obviously over-indulged.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:46 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:33 pm
Or he's a rich mother fucker with plenty of very high-quality heroin. Some guests obviously over-indulged.
Much stronger than street junkies are used to.

So when they take the same dose ...

Yeah. An accident.

The only real coincidence is that he just happens to be a friend of Hillary. :notsure:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:58 am

“Life—the way it really is—is a battle not between good and bad, but between bad and worse”
― Joseph Brodsky

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:34 am

When the sun of culture is low, even dwarves will cast long shadows.
Falsely attributed to Karl Kraus, origin uncertain (perhaps from a Swiss saying: "Ein kleiner Mann macht oft einen großen Schatten.").

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:09 pm

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

xouper

Post by xouper » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:37 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:54 pm
It's easier to stick your dick in it than you might think.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:29 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:05 am

Generosity is a part of my character, and I therefore hasten to assure this Government that I will never make an allegation of dishonesty against it wherever a simple explanation of stupidity will suffice.
– Leslie Baron Lever

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:25 pm

We can only guess how many cringe-worthy purple prose columns were written tying these scrappy underdogs in red, white, and blue and the literally patriotic name to the national mood, . . . . . . One that unfortunately still does exist is an NFL Films tribute to Foxboro Stadium called Farewell to Foxboro, which included ESPN's Sal Paolantonio opining that God wanted the Patriots to win to heal the nation after 9/11. I'm no theologian, but looking back at it now, I can't decide which is more bizarre, the idea that the Almighty would allow 3,000 people to be killed in the middle of a workday so He could later on cheer everyone up with a football game, or the fact that someone at ESPN once said the Patriots were a force of good for the world.

--Jerry Thorton, Five Rings: The Super Bowl History of the New England Patriots (So Far)
--J.D.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Yeah, sure, I believe that guy really drew those letters and shapes with perfect sharp precision with that piece of chalk.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi tech vs. Steampunk fallacy.

Use hi tech to create a thing that suggests something hand made. How charming. Like 3D printing amphora from the bronze age.

This is madness.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:11 am

“The whole people must take upon themselves the education of the whole people and be willing to bear the expenses of it […] There should not be a district of one mile square without a school in it, not founded by a charitable individual, but maintained at the public expense of the people themselves. They must be taught to reverence themselves instead of adoring their servants, the Generals, Admirals, Bishops, and Statesmen.”
– John Adams

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:46 am

A shemp precursor:
“It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.”
― Diogenes of Sinope

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:37 am

--J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:18 am

By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you’ll become happy; if you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.
– Socrates

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:41 am