A Thought for the Day

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Witness » Sun May 26, 2019 1:59 am

The sins we often regret are the sins we never commit.
– Greek Proverb
I heard it in French as "On est toujours puni par là où l'on ne pèche pas." (We are always punished by where we do not sin.) There's an innuendo, of course. :mrgreen:

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 27, 2019 8:42 am

There are some things you should know how to do without reading a manual.

--DCI Gene "Gene Genie" Hunt, Ashes to Ashes
--J. "Is 'Hunt' Rhyming Slang?" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 29, 2019 5:27 am

Godless CommieRuskiesian Soldier: We make these from lead scrap. Put it on under your balls.

Russian Conscript: Now?

--Chernobyl, Episode 4: "The Happiness of All Mankind"

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed May 29, 2019 9:39 pm

Binged the first 4. Understand we have one left on Monday...

Dark and ugly. Just the way I like my drama. :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu May 30, 2019 2:48 am

That roof scene...that dude did not listen to any instructions and it went from bad to worse for him.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu May 30, 2019 3:24 am

I marvel at the depth of denial in all this.

"You couldn't possibly have seen graphite on the roof."

Fuck.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu May 30, 2019 5:40 am

It is easy to "Point-'n-Laugh" but I like how one of my favorite That Guys screams on the phone about how the KGB was able to get a WEST German robot . . . by lying about the radiation levels . . . because "Soviet reactors do not fail!"

Reminds me of the awesome The Death of Stalin's "SOVIET PLANES DON'T CRASH!"

--J. "I Need a New Phone!" D.

P.S. There is another film I think I mentioned about the infamous Kursk submarine disaster. Well done, and they got the Venerable Max "I Made Robert Redford Cry and Beat Death and Why the Fuck is Bran the King when [Get on with it!--Ed.]" Von Sydow to play the pompous admiral who basically tells families to fuck off and has a widow forcibly sedated in a press conference.

Now, for your Thought for the Day!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu May 30, 2019 5:41 am

--J. "Fuck Da Police!" D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu May 30, 2019 5:49 am

Back to Chernobyl
Grammatron wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:48 am
That roof scene...that dude did not listen to any instructions and it went from bad to worse for him.
Indeed and I will add a t3h sp01l4g3 for those who have not seen it yet:
They handle the whole shooting of dogs very nicely. They do not rush it. I like that "the Kid" rarely speaks. By the end, he is smoking, drinking, shooting until they find the puppies, and even The Guy tells him he will handle it.

Meanwhile, as this is going on, the sadness of killing dogs, at the reactor they prepare "bio-robots" or the humans you mentioned to clear the nuculer [Stop that.--Ed.] graphite from the exploded core.

Also, nice touch of the soldier killing the cow. The scene has the whole set up of "I'VE LIVED HERE SO LONG SONNY" which has some basis in reality. There was an Old Fart who lived at the base of Mt. St. Helena who refused to move. Networks interviewed him. He lived their since Sherman Fucked Atlanta but NOT AS MUCH AS THE REFS FUCKED THE BRUINS [You had multiple power plays.--Ed.] Meanie! and all of that and refused to leave.

Where he lived was obliterated and buried.

He went very quickly.

The old woman would not. The soldier may have understood that, so the, "she's old, let her die in her home" trope would have been torture.
--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu May 30, 2019 6:00 am

DI Hot Babe: Guv! I promised his parents!

Gene: I promised nothing.

DI HB: He's 12!

--J.D.

sparks

Post by sparks » Thu May 30, 2019 2:33 pm

Yea. Shooting the dogs and cats.

Fuck!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Thu May 30, 2019 11:26 pm

"Once I was at a battalion command post when we got word that sixty Germans were coming down the road in a counterattack. Everybody got excited. They called the colonel on a field phone, gave him the details and asked him what to do. He had the solution in a nutshell. He just said, 'Shoot the sonsabitches,' and hung up."

--Ernie Pyle, "Hedgerow Fighting", from the book Brave Men, 1944, Henry Holt and Company, Inc.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri May 31, 2019 4:01 am

I really think he should have called a meeting to determine a Prioritized Proactive Plan to submit for the approval of the higher brass and, of course, the advertisers.

--J.D.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Fri May 31, 2019 10:37 am

Reading this book is helping me to get my mind right. Seriously. Puts things into profound perspective. Also has a portion about this guy, Baron Rudolf Charles von Ripper:

https://www.historynet.com/von-ripper-painter-gun.htm
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

shemp
Title: stooge

Post by shemp » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:02 am

Doctor X wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:01 am
I really think he should have called a meeting to determine a Prioritized Proactive Plan to submit for the approval of the higher brass and, of course, the advertisers.

--J.D.
Of course, the proper way to handle this would have been to invite the Germans to a meeting, where they could discuss their differences over a nice chai latte.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:11 am

Well, shemp, all this condemnation about killing the Jews is just our Cultural Judgementalism. Applying OUR narrow-minded cultural elitism to others!

We need to have more Cultural Awareness and Acceptance.

--J.D.

P.S. Just as the Japs were merely trying to reduce the population of ass-rapin' Chinese!

P.P.S. Too soon?

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:49 pm

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:00 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:01 am

--J.D.
And the Bias Response Team of course.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:02 am

"In one of the outfits I noticed the boys always used the word 'Uncle' when they mean the powers that be. They said, 'You do whatever Uncle tells you" or "I wish Uncle would hurry up with those overshoes.' Another term was 'eyeballing,' which meant viewing and gandering around, such as 'eyeballing into Naples.'" --Ernie Pyle, "Mountain Fighting", from Brave Men, 1944.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:00 am

shemp wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:02 am
Of course, the proper way to handle this would have been to invite the Germans to a meeting, where they could discuss their differences over a nice chai latte.
Reminded me of this anecdote:
[Gaius Popillius Laenas] was sent as an envoy to prevent a war between Antiochus IV Epiphanes of the Seleucid Empire and Ptolemaic Egypt. On being confronted with the Roman demands that he abort his attack on Alexandria, Antiochus played for time; Popillius Laenas is supposed to have drawn a circle around the king in the sand with his cane, and ordered him not to move out of it until a firm answer had been given. The Syrians withdrew.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Popillius_Laenas