A Thought for the Day

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Julie: Well, maybe there's some sort of random explanation, and it's not as bad as it seems.

Tyra: Julie, a woman came to my house, telling me that my boyfriend owes her child support. Now how much worse can that get?

Julie: She could be his sister?

--Friday Night Lights
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:09 pm

@MumblingNerd

If at first you don’t succeed, try at least two more times, so that your failure is statistically significant.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:03 am

Cats are the runes of beauty, invincibility, wonder, pride, freedom, coldness, self-sufficiency, and dainty individuality - the qualities of sensitive, enlightened, mentally developed, pagan, cynical, poetic, philosophic, dispassionate, reserved, independent, Nietzschean, unbroken, civilized, master-class men.

– H. P. Lovecraft

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:41 pm

Such potential!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:04 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:38 pm

Thanks for posting that Pyrrho. That said, I think it's bullshit twatter would allow that sort of thing. Let the dead rest for fucks sake. I think many of us here miss Hitch. And Dr. Sagan. And others.

But this is a little too close to twatting as them and that's bloody offensive to me.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:41 pm

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:05 am

Initially, I would take sparks to task for what is a fun, and maybe even legitimate, quote, but I see his point. Imagine Rebecca Watson or, I do not know, That Conservative Religious Kid Faux Trots About but Not Too Much Since, You Know, "Jewish" writing their political/religious screed under his name.

Though, "if Hitch were Alive," his comments regarding Her Turn and The Donald would have been epic, provided his brain did not just give up and collapse into a singularity right there. Hitchens was, "AOC? Child Please!" Level Liberal. Some thought him more conservative because he agreed with removing Saddam and trying to bring some logic to the Middle East. He hated the Clintons for being . . . wait for it . . . conservative. He initially supported the Cunt David Irving since Cunt Irving tried to pretend Churchill was a drunken failure. That "fit" his sensibilities when he was creating a documentary demanding that Kissinger be arrested and tried for various war crimes.

Over time, he came to understand what Irving was. I will give this credit to Hitchens: he admitted it and discussed why it happened to him.

As a Humble, Yet MagNIfIcent, Poster would have advised him: "it is a process, not an attribute."

Anyways, at least his brother does not have control over it with "dying bed" declarations of him "accepting Big Daddy." Though that may be unfair to his brother. As far as I know, he disagreed with Chris' view strenuously, but he respected him and did not mischaracterize them.

In the rain.

Meanwhile . . . in Hawkins:
I'm sorry! I'm so sorry. It's just . . . I can't believe . . . I'm gonna die in a secret Russian base. . . .

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:07 am

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:23 am

--J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:13 am

"The biblical concepts of sin and salvation are an integral part of Christian doctrine. Christianity first creates a problem (sin) and then offers a "solution" (salvation). This is not unlike the protection racket; you either buy "protection"--or else!"

– Don Morgan

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:56 am

Beg to differ.

Having to appease angry deities is as old as the invention of writing, and found in all cultures though some grow out of it earlier than others.

Relatively speaking, Christianity makes it easy.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:53 pm

I can clearly remember pouring over a globe in the 6th grade, trying to find the country of Lesbia, you know, where Lesbians come from. I found Liberia, Lebanon, Libya, but no Lesbia. To this day, I haven't found it. I'm starting to think it's just a mythical land, much like Pedestria.
Such potential!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Bruce wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:53 pm
I can clearly remember pouring over a globe in the 6th grade, trying to find the country of Lesbia, you know, where Lesbians come from. I found Liberia, Lebanon, Libya, but no Lesbia. To this day, I haven't found it. I'm starting to think it's just a mythical land, much like Pedestria.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesbos

... and yes the inhabitants are "Lesbians". :P
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:03 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:56 am
Having to appease angry deities is as old as the invention of writing
Much, much older. And you know it.
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
and found in all cultures though some grow out of it earlier than others.
Debatable. E. g. the concept of karma is more akin to a fantasized natural law – being distributed automatically – than the result of divine action. (In some branches of Hinduism, at least.)
More to the point, Morgan doesn't argue that sin/salvation is exclusively Christian.
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Relatively speaking, Christianity makes it easy.
Depends on the sect.
And "others have it worse", we know how that works.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:20 am

Bruce wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:53 pm
The relevant reference is Sappho, who was from Lesbos/Mytilene.

The French have "amours saphiques" for "lesbian love".

Been there. Nice place, home to the Athenian chattering classes in Summer, so very different from a hellhole tourist trap like Mykonos, and good Greek food & wine. (At least in the 90ies.) Literal forests of olive trees for long cool hikes during the heat, interesting swamps for birdwatchers:

:coolspecs:

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:29 am

Thanks, guys. Now if you can just help me find the remote island of Pedestros, I shall be fully vindicated.
Such potential!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:57 am

It's in the Caribbean and currently owned by... wait for it... Epstein.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:22 am

sparks wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:57 am
It's in the Caribbean and currently owned by... wait for it... Epstein.
Really? You sure it is not

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:29 am

Well, because see, see,Tyler and I were sitting outside, just hanging out right, just, and then we both stood up because we thought it was the National Anthem. So we stood up, and I was like, "Oh? This is Canada's! Who gives a crap?!" We sat back down!

--Christian "Squirrel!" Fauria
--J.D.