A Thought for the Day

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Anaxagoras »

Yes. That's not a strawman at all.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:53 pm
Rob Lister wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:16 pm
The only thing sillier than imperial is measuring an LED bulb's brightness in 'equivalent' incandescent watts. It's okay for now but even now there are kids that never met an incandescent bulb. We've pretty much fucked them for life!
Why were incandescent light bulbs measured in watts in the first place instead of lumens?

I think the only answer is that people prefer to use smaller numbers. With lumens you need to add an extra zero on the end.
You're over thinking the customer service angle.

At least in the early days, it was easier to measure watts and then build to spec.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:36 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:
The only thing sillier than imperial is measuring an LED bulb's brightness in 'equivalent' incandescent watts. It's okay for now but even now there are kids that never met an incandescent bulb. We've pretty much fucked them for life!
Why were incandescent light bulbs measured in watts in the first place instead of lumens?

I think the only answer is that people prefer to use smaller numbers. With lumens you need to add an extra zero on the end.

At least in the early days, it was easier to measure watts and then build to spec.
Funny story about light bulbs. Maybe you know this already.

They're made to fail on purpose. They knew even over 100 years ago how to make light bulbs that could last, well, at least over 100 years without needing to be replaced. But of course, if you make a light bulb that lasts forever, well they were worried of course that they couldn't sell as many light bulbs. So they made a rule that light bulbs couldn't last more than 1,000 hours or something like that (the exact amount I forget). And all the companies that made them agreed to abide by this, and if anyone broke to rule by making a better light bulb, they could be fined.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

robinson
Title: Nice guy

Post by robinson »

They still make light bulbs that last a long time.
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:17 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:36 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:

Funny story about light bulbs. Maybe you know this already.

They're made to fail on purpose. They knew even over 100 years ago how to make light bulbs that could last, well, at least over 100 years without needing to be replaced. But of course, if you make a light bulb that lasts forever, well they were worried of course that they couldn't sell as many light bulbs. So they made a rule that light bulbs couldn't last more than 1,000 hours or something like that (the exact amount I forget). And all the companies that made them agreed to abide by this, and if anyone broke to rule by making a better light bulb, they could be fined.
True, you can make a bulb that lasts forever, just don't expect much light from it. I suspect that, for any given watt, you'll get the same number of total lumen hours from a 1000 hour bulb as you would a 2000 hour bulb. That's not to say there wasn't some collusion going on; I know there was.

Witness

Post by Witness »

ed wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:38 am
I thought that <desole> was more bereft, elementally saddened, more an absence of feeling with an overtone of sadness. I always liked that word.
18th c. French, "désoler" was still very strong. (Etymologically something like "make a desert of", e. g. an army could be said to "désoler" the countryside.)

Nowadays it's trite, you'll say "(Je suis) désolé !" when you bump into somebody, meaning "(I am) sorry!", or you're slightly late to a meeting, &c.

Witness

Post by Witness »

"His age was indeterminate. But in cynicism and general world weariness, which is a sort of carbon dating of the personality, he was about seven thousand years old."
― Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Now I know what a statesman is; he's a dead politician. We need more statesmen.
– Bob Edwards

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

"To straighten out the crooked, you first do a more difficult thing - you must straighten yourself."
~ Anon
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Witness

Post by Witness »

“So basically you're sticking around to watch us all fuck up ?"
"Yes. It's one of life's few guaranteed constants.”
― Iain M. Banks, The Hydrogen Sonata

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Paulie Cicero
Title: Legitimate Businessman

Post by Paulie Cicero »

Witness

Post by Witness »

"The theory that you should always treat the religious convictions of other people with respect finds no support in the Gospels."
– Arnold Lunn (1888-1974), British author

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I will not bother linking it, but a commentary from the The New York Sun on yesterday’s SCOTUS 6-3 ruling that find discrimination against LGBT violates Title VII offers the handwringing that “a man should not fear the law because he fears God.”

“Well, allow me to retort.”
A man should not fear the law because you fear a god.
– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
– George Bernard Shaw

robinson

Post by robinson »

That actually makes no sense
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

robinson

Post by robinson »

The silent majority may not stay silent forever
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬