Random gripe

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
gnome

Random gripe

Post by gnome »

Feel free to add your own random gripes. There just didn't seem to be a good existing topic for this.

mystiqalwolf has become addicted to "Grey's Anatomy" and its spinoff "Private Practice". The shows are tolerable enough in the background while I play Borderlands stuff, but they have one habit that keeps sticking in my craw. It seems like every episode has for background music on some scenes a classic pop hit, only rearranged and slowed down to a mournful dirge.

In every single case, the original song would have fit the scene just as well, or even better. This parade of songs with all the life and passion sucked out of them is driving me nuts. Maybe they should be called "zombie songs". Was the slow version of "Layla" the first one, perpetrated by the original performer, even?

Are these dreary covers cheaper to get the rights for than the original? Or is it a bizarre creative choice?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Random gripe

Post by sparks »

Money's the measure in this case I should think.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hard to say. Never watched either of the shows you mention, but I have noticed it in other shows. My guess is on "Bizaare Creative Choice" though, as I can't imagine its all that much cheaper to get cover of an old pop song, if its cheaper at all
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I'm sure money is a factor though. May also be a creative choice. The rights for popular songs are expensive and proportional to their popularity. Covers or less popular versions are probably cheaper.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

The use of Layla is always and without exception a vain wish to be compared to Scorsese in a positive way. As such, it's use is uniformly pathetic.
This space for let
gnome

Post by gnome »

It got really bad when they took an already slow song and made it SLOOOOWWWWER. It was like the catatonic version of the song.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

If I time travel back to about the 19th century and get the flu for no reason at all, would that be a random grippe?
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

I think my 2nd Molar is going. and Katherine Heigl never got naked on that show or any other
Last edited by Rob Lister on Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malfie Henpox

Post by Malfie Henpox »

I don't have any.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

gnome wrote: Are these dreary covers cheaper to get the rights for than the original?
I don't have a source for this handy. But I remember hearing/reading that music rights make up a huge chunk of any TV show/movie budget. I do believe that same source talked about covers being cheaper to use than originals.
Malfie Henpox

Post by Malfie Henpox »

It's very true. They cost a fortune. I've done a bit of work in the past for radio and TV.

I read an article a while back about an indie movie guy. He was talking enviously about the soundtrack to Guardians of the Galaxy, and how he wished he had the budget to include such tunes.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

For what it is worth, podcasts from "We are Important Enough to Sue" like a professional sports team will limit the music introduction to a few seconds since, otherwise, they would have to pay for the use of the song. For the rest, it is a matter of whether or not you are found.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
gnome

Post by gnome »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Is this the amusing gripes thread? No?

Carry on. :p
I've told you once.
--Soldier, TF2
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

No, you didn't.

--J.D.

Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

I really don't think the d4s roll that well.
gnome

Post by gnome »

No, they're terrible. They serve two purposes: to technically complete the set of perfect solids that make up the gaming dice (with the exception of the D10)--thus satisfying math geeks, and they make useful caltrops.

If you want actual 1-4 rolls it was probably easier to just roll the D8 and divide by two, round up.
--Soldier, TF2
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Dear outside vendor with whom I worked today,

GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!!! We figured out the document path the last two times we tried to make your software and mine play nice together. I shouldn't have to tell you again and you have to make adjustments every time we run a test.

Toodle-Pipsky,
Nyarl
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

gnome wrote:No, they're terrible. They serve two purposes: to technically complete the set of perfect solids that make up the gaming dice (with the exception of the D10)--thus satisfying math geeks, and they make useful caltrops.

If you want actual 1-4 rolls it was probably easier to just roll the D8 and divide by two, round up.
They also serve to display one of my many useless talents. I can spin them like a top on their point. I can also spin a d6 like a top on one of its corners.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

I'm bummed that the Magnificent 7 reboot is not a musical.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Rob Lister wrote:I'm bummed that the Magnificent 7 reboot is not a musical.
Me too. That would be awesome
gnome

Post by gnome »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
gnome wrote:No, they're terrible. They serve two purposes: to technically complete the set of perfect solids that make up the gaming dice (with the exception of the D10)--thus satisfying math geeks, and they make useful caltrops.

They also serve to display one of my many useless talents. I can spin them like a top on their point. I can also spin a d6 like a top on one of its corners.
That's actually.... kinda tricky. Well done.
--Soldier, TF2
Malfie Henpox

Post by Malfie Henpox »

I took my woman to a fancy hotel and spa. I intended on sitting next to the pool for 2 days, drinking. But it rained. So I had to sit inside for two days, drinking.
Malfie Henpox

Post by Malfie Henpox »

I took my woman to a fancy hotel and spa. I intended on sitting next to the pool for 2 days, drinking. But it rained. So I had to sit inside for two days, drinking.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

--J.D.

Malfie Henpox

Post by Malfie Henpox »

I did a double post.
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

I felt something cutting into the back of my head the other day and reached back to pull it out.

It was a tiny razor-sharp chunk of broken glass, and even though I was being very careful, it had already sliced into the tip of my finger. After plucking it out, the tip of my finger began to bleed like crazy. I was lying on a hospital bed and there were no tissues within reach. Would have been ridiculous to call a nurse for this. Figured, heck it was a hospital bed and the sheets were intended to be bled upon, so I dabbed it on the white sheet until the bleeding stopped. After walking away from a 60 mph roll-over collision, this injury that I just inflicted on myself was worse than any of the cuts I had received just two hours prior. Damn my shitty luck. :|

Oh, and we get it, Doctor X. Yes, it can always be worse, and yes, any of us could have easily died, at any moment, from any of a multitude of unfortunate events. It's not that we gripe because we don't understand that.

We gripe because we can.

Gripe with us, Doctor X. It's ok. Bitch about a hang-nail while the world burns. It releases a tiny squirt of dopamine in your brain and makes you feel a little better. Just a tiny fix of dopamine to take the edge off, and the best part is it's free. We won't think less of you.
Such potential!
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Malfie Henpox wrote:I did a double post.
I figured you just did it twice.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

He claimed they deserved it.
--J.D.

Malfie Henpox

Post by Malfie Henpox »

Rob Lister wrote:
Malfie Henpox wrote:I did a double post.
I figured you just did it twice.
That's what I thought at first.
no one in particular
Title: Incredulous Bastard

Post by no one in particular »

Doctor X wrote: He claimed they deserved it.
What? I'm pretty sure this is the "offending" thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36355

Where the fuck did he make that claim? Or am I missing another important thread?
Killing me with humorous lines will not Clark Kent the egg salad. ~Skeptoid

It seems that our RIVER has run dry.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

He didn't in that thread nor any other post I've seen. I can't even infer it from anything he's written thus far. Not even by squinting.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Maybe we're just jaded over here after all the IRA bombings (thanks for funding them, by the way).

Particularly that one on the bottom right! She has shifty eyes like those damn Irish!
Yeah, I am sure it sucks when ones racist and Cuntish history will not be forgotten.

--J.D.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

That in no way equates to a claim that they deserved it. but you knew that.
no one in particular
Title: Incredulous Bastard

Post by no one in particular »

Maybe I had Doctor X confused with someone else. I thought he prided himself as an honest man. No honest reading could conflate such a thing.
Killing me with humorous lines will not Clark Kent the egg salad. ~Skeptoid

It seems that our RIVER has run dry.
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Rob Lister wrote:That in no way equates to a claim that they deserved it. but you knew that.
Not feeling bad about my corn fielding choice anymore.

Seems to reduced many MANY threads to alternating stripes of DocX/Hammy.

You have to admit, the tenacity of their holy war is epic. Where to they get the time and energy? How many Tinkerbell pics are on the internet? Does DocX have an App that automatically locates one and posts it as soon as Hammy makes a post? Who do they think is going to be the winner in this never-ending insane game? Why bother at all?

Let's see here. That's 5 questions in a row that I don't really care to know that answers to. I need to get off my ass and find something better to do with my time off. Maybe some spring cleaning or something.
Such potential!
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I will add, en passant, that Gentlemen who write things which they regret apologize. Granted, they would have to be Gentlemen, and Gentlemen do not make racist statements generally, and they have to actually regret making racist statements that "feast upon the entrails of the dead and exploit their suffering and the suffering of survivors for personal advantage," et cetera.

Cunts never do that, of course.

Since this simple principle proves too taxing for some allow me to provide an analogy:

I would consider this statement:
Maybe we're just jaded over here in Ireland after all the Ulster bombings/RUC/SAS murders (thanks for funding them, by the way).
equivalent.

Yet, I do not expect fools to understand to which I would remind said fool to take the advice I kindly gave some time ago or grow up.

But then . . . you cannot help fools.

--J. "A 'MOMENT OF PASSION?!!'" D.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Bruce wrote: Who do they think is going to be the winner in this never-ending insane game?
I have no idea. I'm guessing Hammy thinks it is hilarious. Used to be everyone would just ignore his inanity but now he can kill a whole thread simply by posting, 'Boo!'.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

--J. "I Am Very Good . . . with Pain!" D.

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Hilarious.
This space for let