The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Giz

Re: The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

Post by Giz » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:21 am

Witness wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:53 am
'Remarkable' decline in fertility rates

There has been a remarkable, global decline in the number of children women are having, say researchers.

[…]
The study, published in the Lancet, followed trends in every country from 1950 to 2017.

In 1950, women were having an average of 4.7 children in their lifetime. The fertility rate all but halved to 2.4 children per woman by last year.
[…]
Prof Christopher Murray, the director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington, told the BBC: "We've reached this watershed where half of countries have fertility rates below the replacement level, so if nothing happens the populations will decline in those countries.

"It's a remarkable transition.

"It's a surprise even to people like myself, the idea that it's half the countries in the world will be a huge surprise to people."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46118103
"Which countries are affected?

More economically developed countries including most of Europe, the US, South Korea and Australia have lower fertility rates."

Oh well, I'm sure the Islamic states will step up to funding the UN, preventing world war and all that jazz.

xouper

Re: The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

Post by xouper » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:04 am

xouper wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:26 pm
Rob Lister wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:46 am
I don't know if that is spectacularly bad reporting or spectacularly bad science.
Please enlighten me about what you find to be bad about either the reporting or the science. Thanks.
bump . . .

xouper

Post by xouper » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:41 pm

xouper wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:04 am
xouper wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:26 pm
Rob Lister wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:46 am
I don't know if that is spectacularly bad reporting or spectacularly bad science.
Please enlighten me about what you find to be bad about either the reporting or the science. Thanks.
bump . . .
Apparently Rob has no intention of trying to explain his remarks.

I was willing to allow he might have had something interesting to say, but apparently not.

No matter, time to move on . . .

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:03 pm

Giz wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:21 am

More economically developed countries including most of Europe, the US, South Korea and Australia have lower fertility rates."

Oh well, I'm sure the Islamic states will step up to funding the UN, preventing world war and all that jazz.
You definitely have a point. Yet I think that's only part of the picture:
1. we have to start somewhere;
2. as somebody quipped, "A Murican family with two or three cars consumes as much resources as a Bangladeshi village";
3. "green" (sensu lato) technology can be exported, and the third world probably needs more everyday improvements than big (and often failed) projects;
4. as I wrote elsewhere, happy consumers find Allah less attractive.

Am I too optimistic?

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Witness wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:03 pm
Giz wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:21 am

You definitely have a point. Yet I think that's only part of the picture:

4. as I wrote elsewhere, happy consumers find Allah less attractive.

Am I too optimistic?
Weren't the 9/11 hijackers all middle class? Wasn't bin Laden rich? I'm not sure that we can simply rely on wealth to make people nicer or more secular - there needs to be an ideological case made to them (which being wealthier, they will have time to consider). However, the West seems to have lost its civilizational confidence and will not make the argument*.

* I mean, some bloggers will. But not politicians (at least not coherently - Maybe Trump tries, but who can decipher coherent thoughts out of that? )

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:36 am

How many Asshole Politicians who feast on the entrails of the People for their own welfare are poor?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:35 am

Giz wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:13 pm
Weren't the 9/11 hijackers all middle class? Wasn't bin Laden rich? I'm not sure that we can simply rely on wealth to make people nicer or more secular - there needs to be an ideological case made to them (which being wealthier, they will have time to consider). However, the West seems to have lost its civilizational confidence and will not make the argument*.

* I mean, some bloggers will. But not politicians (at least not coherently - Maybe Trump tries, but who can decipher coherent thoughts out of that? )
Indeed.

It seems improbable that illiterate Middle-Eastern peasants will suddenly take to flying jetliners, and the wealthy dudes prefer somehow to go on living.

In that respect bin L. is an exception, being rich (apart from his inheritance he had also a ~ 7 M$/year stipend from his family) yet enjoying "fieldwork". I posted somewhere an article lauding him for that, when he was still a Pakistan based Good Guy™ hiring mercenaries to kill Commies. (His ~ 20 children took refuge in Iran, btw.)

But basically we think on different timescales. I wrote:
So, utopian solution: turn them into average customers. After the 1 – 2 generations needed for the religious rabies to die out, they'll be happy to be more concerned about their car/wide screen TV/vacation than about saving their wretched souls.
(viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48537&start=20#p935521)

I readily concede that this can be way too optimistic, and if Western History is any guide, centuries could be needed. But ideas and customs diffuse faster nowadays.

Another (quicker) way would be to go for the head(s), e. g. using something like the Magnitsky Act. I don't see much political will in that direction. (Cf. Khashoggi.)

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:24 am

Man Postpones Retirement to Save Reefs After He Accidentally Discovers How to Make Coral Grow 40 Times Faster

One man’s happy accident has brought new hope to the recovery of coral reefs around the world.

Dr. David Vaughan stumbled upon the groundbreaking discovery as he was working with corals at the Mote Marine Laboratory in Florida. He had been trying to remove a coral from the bottom of a tank when it broke into a dozen pieces.

To his shock, all of the pieces regrew to the same size in just three short weeks, as opposed to the three years it had taken to grow the original coral.

Ordinarily, it takes coral reefs between 25 to 75 years to reach sexual maturity. This means that it can take up to 6 years just to plant 600 coral – but Vaughan’s process of breaking up corals for reproduction, which is called “micro-fragmenting”, helps them to grow 40 times faster than they do in the wild.

Furthermore, their tests showed that it works with every single species of coral found in the Florida Reef.
https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/man-pos ... es-faster/

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:32 am

Beavers return to Italy after more than 500 years

Animal was widely hunted and eaten in parts of Europe during Middle Ages

A beaver was captured on camera in northeast Italy, marking the first sighting of the animal in that country since 1471.

Scientists were observing otters last week when the male beaver was seen walking into frame.

While the beaver was valued in Canada for its pelt, the animal was widely hunted and eaten in Italy and other parts of Europe during the Middle Ages and considered white meat — the same as fish — so Catholics could eat them on Fridays.

The animal didn't make a return to Central Europe until the 1980s, when conservationists reintroduced the species with beavers from northern Russia.

Scientists believe the beaver caught on camera is likely a descendant of a group that was introduced by conservationists to the Danube river, which runs through a large swath of Eastern and Central Europe. The European beavers are a distinct species, different from Canadian beavers.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/beavers-i ... -1.4938739

shuize

Post by shuize » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:20 pm

Vermont man's application to build larger garage on his property delayed by city development review board for 10 years. He responded by erecting a 700-pound wooden middle finger sculpture mounted on a 16 foot pole equipped with floodlights.

Apparently he expected he would be ordered to take it down. So this next part made me laugh:
Pelkey said that finding out that the sculpture was considered “public art” [and thus safe] was the “most wonderful thing I’ve ever been told in my life.”
https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/ ... 7d7lDoVn4U

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:16 am

Conservationists plant a 'super grove' of redwood trees cloned from ancient stumps

The clones come from trees that were larger than any alive today.

A new "super grove" of endangered coast redwood trees has arisen in California, thanks to a nonprofit group that planted 75 saplings at a park in San Francisco.

Since their species is endangered, any new community of coast redwoods would be welcome news. Yet these 75 saplings are also newsworthy for another reason: They're all clones, born of DNA that conservationists retrieved from ancient redwood stumps. Now growing together at the Presidio of San Francisco, they carry on a valuable genetic legacy that dates back thousands of years.

The trees were planted on Dec. 14 by Archangel Ancient Tree Archive (AATA), a nonprofit group that creates "living libraries of old-growth tree genetics." Each sapling was sourced from one of five ancient stumps in Northern California, remnants of redwoods that were all larger than the largest tree standing today, a giant sequoia known as General Sherman. After discovering the stumps were still alive, AATA co-founder David Milarch and his team led an expedition to clone them.

Pictured above, for example, is the 35-foot-wide (11-meter) Fieldbrook stump, left by a coast redwood that was about 400 feet tall and more than 3,000 years old when it was cut down in 1890.
https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilde ... ree-clones

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:20 am

It just hit me.

If they can be cloned, means the stumps are still alive too.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:45 pm

Nope. Simply that there is (at a minimum) intact DNA in the cells of the stump. But watch the hell out of you replace any of those sequences with frog DNA!!!11
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Deciduous Park!

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they wood."

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:20 pm

Giz wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:31 pm
Deciduous Park!

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they wood."
Redwoods are not deciduous.

Of course, very few animals in Jurassic Park were from the Jurassic, so I’ll still allow it
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Coniferous sounds too much like cretaceous. Which is what the park should have been called.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:45 pm

But that would be a con.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:18 pm

A con, if for us, anyway.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:40 pm

You could sue, if there's a harmful sub claws.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:54 am

Giz wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:32 pm
Coniferous sounds too much like cretaceous. Which is what the park should have been called.
That's a good point. I think most of the dinosaurs in that movie were not actually Jurassic dinosaurs. The T-rex in particular is from the Cretaceous. Stegosaurus is Jurassic. And the movie velociraptors were bigger than real velociraptors, also a Cretaceous dinosaur. All these things occurred to me when the movie first came out, but Jurassic just sounds cooler, so they took some liberties. Complaining about it seemed overly pedantic.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare