The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:14 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:27 pm

He's lucky the cops didn't shoot him for kidnapping.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:50 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:02 am

Oh you terrible tease. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Florida headteacher removed from post for refusing to call Holocaust a fact

The headteacher of a US school has been sacked after telling a parent he would remain neutral on whether or not the Holocaust happened.

William Latson wrote in an email he could not say "the Holocaust is a factual, historical event".

His comments triggered a backlash, with more than 9,000 people signing an online petition to have him removed.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

Mr Latson's views were revealed in an email exchange with a parent last year, The Palm Beach Post reported.

The parent, who has not been identified, had wanted to ensure that the Spanish River Community High School in Boca Raton, Florida, was making Holocaust education a priority.

In an email published by the paper, Mr Latson said the school had "a variety of activities" on Holocaust education but added that lessons were "not forced upon individuals as we all have the same rights but not all the same beliefs".

The parent wrote back asking for clarification, saying: "The Holocaust is a factual, historical event. It is not a right or a belief."

Mr Latson replied: "Not everyone believes the Holocaust happened. I can't say the Holocaust is a factual, historical event because I am not in a position to do so as a school district employee. I would almost wonder if this is an extreme reaction to "Social Justice" fears of offending anyone, but even in Florida, I doubt there is a large Nazi presence.

"I do allow information about the Holocaust to be presented and allow students and parents to make decisions about it accordingly."

On Monday, the Palm Beach County school authorities said Mr Latson was being reassigned "effective immediately". In a statement it said the headteacher had "made a grave error in judgment "and that his leadership had become "a major distraction for the school community".

"In addition to being offensive, the principal's statement is not supported by either the school district administration or the school board," it said.

In a statement to The Palm Beach Post, Mr Latson apologised for his comments, saying they did not "accurately reflect my professional and personal commitment to educating all students about the atrocities of the Holocaust".

"It is critical that, as a society, we hold dear the memory of the victims and hold fast to our commitment to counter anti-Semitism," he wrote. Or is that a matter of belief?

Bugger'd by Colonists
Curious given[Stop that.--Ed.] he wrote the above in e-mails. Only NBA stars are "misquoted" in their own autobiographies. Given that this has taken a year, did he have a correspondence with his superiors that ended with, "well, I looked up this thing on the Wiki kids use and, okay, I guess it could have happened."? Nyaah, I suspect he just does not like the consequences of either his racism or willful ignorance. That is basically it: the best case scenario for him is he is willfully ignorant. One less of that, or a racist, in schools--children's schools, Mandrake!--is a "good thing."

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:04 pm

In addition, what the article failed to mention (probably because journalism is hard) is that Florida mandates (PDF warning) teaching of Holocaust. Which is confusing because the article in The Palm Beach Post, linked from BBC, fails to mention that fact and goes on about how the mother had to work with the school to teach them about Holocaust.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:52 pm

Yeah, some things do not make sense, but maybe that is because the guy is an idiot. There are "groups" that "don't like" science teaching or a particular viewpoint of history who can all get angry and screechy at a PTA or school board meeting! The Dover Decision was such a case where creationists gained control of the school board and Christian teachers--yes!--led the fight against teaching creationism.

So I can "get" a teacher or principal getting nervous about that subject right or wrong.

This?

Are there Angry Parents upset that the Holocaust is taught?

Perhaps I am overthinking, and the guy is just either a complete idiot or a racist or both.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image