The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:14 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:27 pm

He's lucky the cops didn't shoot him for kidnapping.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:50 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:02 am

Oh you terrible tease. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Florida headteacher removed from post for refusing to call Holocaust a fact

The headteacher of a US school has been sacked after telling a parent he would remain neutral on whether or not the Holocaust happened.

William Latson wrote in an email he could not say "the Holocaust is a factual, historical event".

His comments triggered a backlash, with more than 9,000 people signing an online petition to have him removed.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

Mr Latson's views were revealed in an email exchange with a parent last year, The Palm Beach Post reported.

The parent, who has not been identified, had wanted to ensure that the Spanish River Community High School in Boca Raton, Florida, was making Holocaust education a priority.

In an email published by the paper, Mr Latson said the school had "a variety of activities" on Holocaust education but added that lessons were "not forced upon individuals as we all have the same rights but not all the same beliefs".

The parent wrote back asking for clarification, saying: "The Holocaust is a factual, historical event. It is not a right or a belief."

Mr Latson replied: "Not everyone believes the Holocaust happened. I can't say the Holocaust is a factual, historical event because I am not in a position to do so as a school district employee. I would almost wonder if this is an extreme reaction to "Social Justice" fears of offending anyone, but even in Florida, I doubt there is a large Nazi presence.

"I do allow information about the Holocaust to be presented and allow students and parents to make decisions about it accordingly."

On Monday, the Palm Beach County school authorities said Mr Latson was being reassigned "effective immediately". In a statement it said the headteacher had "made a grave error in judgment "and that his leadership had become "a major distraction for the school community".

"In addition to being offensive, the principal's statement is not supported by either the school district administration or the school board," it said.

In a statement to The Palm Beach Post, Mr Latson apologised for his comments, saying they did not "accurately reflect my professional and personal commitment to educating all students about the atrocities of the Holocaust".

"It is critical that, as a society, we hold dear the memory of the victims and hold fast to our commitment to counter anti-Semitism," he wrote. Or is that a matter of belief?

Bugger'd by Colonists
Curious given[Stop that.--Ed.] he wrote the above in e-mails. Only NBA stars are "misquoted" in their own autobiographies. Given that this has taken a year, did he have a correspondence with his superiors that ended with, "well, I looked up this thing on the Wiki kids use and, okay, I guess it could have happened."? Nyaah, I suspect he just does not like the consequences of either his racism or willful ignorance. That is basically it: the best case scenario for him is he is willfully ignorant. One less of that, or a racist, in schools--children's schools, Mandrake!--is a "good thing."

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:04 pm

In addition, what the article failed to mention (probably because journalism is hard) is that Florida mandates (PDF warning) teaching of Holocaust. Which is confusing because the article in The Palm Beach Post, linked from BBC, fails to mention that fact and goes on about how the mother had to work with the school to teach them about Holocaust.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:52 pm

Yeah, some things do not make sense, but maybe that is because the guy is an idiot. There are "groups" that "don't like" science teaching or a particular viewpoint of history who can all get angry and screechy at a PTA or school board meeting! The Dover Decision was such a case where creationists gained control of the school board and Christian teachers--yes!--led the fight against teaching creationism.

So I can "get" a teacher or principal getting nervous about that subject right or wrong.

This?

Are there Angry Parents upset that the Holocaust is taught?

Perhaps I am overthinking, and the guy is just either a complete idiot or a racist or both.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:04 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:37 am

Renewable Energy Is Now The Cheapest Option - Even Without Subsidies
  • unsubsidized renewable energy is now most frequently the cheapest source of energy generation
  • These new statistics demonstrate that using renewable energy is increasingly cost-effective compared to other sources, even when renewables must compete with the heavily-subsidized fossil fuel industry
In recent years, the world has marched towards renewable energy. According to a new report by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), unsubsidized renewable energy is now most frequently the cheapest source of energy generation. The report finds that the cost of installation and maintenance of renewables, which was an important stumbling block to mass adoption, continues on a downward trajectory.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesellsm ... -subsidies

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:43 am

The issue isn't just "cheapest" -- it's having enough to satisfy demand.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:59 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:43 am
The issue isn't just "cheapest" -- it's having enough to satisfy demand.
Quite, but it seems to get rolling (I'll post in the "Wind turbines" thread.):
New York Awards Offshore Wind Contracts in Bid to Reduce Emissions

New York State, which last month passed an ambitious law to reduce the emissions that cause climate change, said Thursday that it had reached an agreement for two large offshore wind projects.

The wind projects, to be built off the coast of Long Island, represent a big step forward for a technology that has been slow to take off in the United States because of local opposition and high costs. Experts have said offshore turbines, which are used extensively in Northern Europe, hold great promise because the wind tends to be stronger and more consistent offshore than on land.

Wind farms are a major energy source in the United States, providing about 7 percent of all electricity last year, up from about 2 percent in 2010. But almost all of those turbines are on land. By comparison, Britain expects to get 10 percent of its electricity from offshore wind next year, up from less than 1 percent in 2010.

The New York projects will start operation within the next five years and have the capacity to produce 1,700 megawatts of electricity, accounting for about 20 percent of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s overall goal for offshore wind.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/18/busi ... -york.html

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:05 am

I'm very suspicious of that one.

On the one hand it sounds like a seriously great idea. On the other hand, I'll believe it when I see it.

The only certainty is someone being paid for it.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:47 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:06 am

River Thames home to 138 seal pups, finds annual count

English river’s ecosystem is thriving, 62 years after being declared biologically dead

It has been a highway, a sewer and was declared biologically dead in the 1950s but the River Thames is now a nursery for 138 baby seals, according to the first comprehensive count of pups.

Scientists from ZSL analysed photographs taken from a specially-chartered light aircraft to identify and count harbour seal pups, which rest on sandbanks and creeks around the Thames estuary, downstream from London, during the summer, shortly after they are born.

“We were thrilled to count 138 pups born in a single season,” said conservation biologist Thea Cox. “The seals would not be able to pup here at all without a reliable food source, so this demonstrates that the Thames ecosystem is thriving and shows just how far we have come since the river was declared biologically dead in the 1950s.”

The Thames is home to both grey seals and harbour seals, although only the latter breed there. The seals can feed on more than 120 species of fish in the river, including two species of shark, short-snouted seahorses and the European eel, which is critically endangered. Marine mammals spotted in the Thames include porpoises, dolphins and “Benny” the beluga whale.

The river’s seal population has risen steadily since ZSL began its annual count in 2013. The most recent results, from 2017, recorded 1,104 harbour seals and 2,406 grey seals across the estuary.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ount-finds

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:16 am

Infowars Loses Appeal in Sandy Hook Defamation Lawsuit
Love the photo they picked to run with the story. :)
Alex Jones, the conspiracy theorist proprietor of Infowars, and his attorneys were denied an appeal regarding a lawsuit that alleges Infowars broadcast defamatory comments regarding the father of a child murdered in the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. The Texas Court of Appeals has ordered Infowars to “pay all costs” related to the botched appeal.

Infowars filed its now-dismissed appeal one day after Sandy Hook parent Neil Heslin filed a motion for contempt against Infowars as part of an ongoing legal battle against the outlet, which in 2017 broadcast claims that Heslin argued were meant to insinuate that he lied about holding his murdered son’s body and to subject him to harassment and emotional damage by those who believe Sandy Hook was a “false flag” conspiracy—a conspiracy theory advanced by the host of an Infowars program and amplified by Jones himself.

Heslin had filed a motion for expedited discovery and a motion for sanctions against defendants Jones, Infowars employee Owen Shroyer, Free Speech Systems LLC, and Infowars LLC, after it was revealed that Jones had ordered Infowars employees to remove “social media pages and video content relating to the Sandy Hook shooting” from the internet. Jones and his lawyers had previously filed a motion to have Heslin’s lawsuit dismissed under the Texas Citizens Participation Act, a 2011 Texas law meant to aid individuals facing a frivolous lawsuits, but the judge hearing the case agreed with Heslin’s argument that Infowars’ efforts to delete content relevant to his case had hampered his ability to respond to Infowars’ motion to dismiss.

A judge extended the hearing date on Infowars’ TCPA motion and ordered Infowars to respond to discovery requests. But when the deadline for discovery approached, Infowars made clear it did not intend to cooperate. Heslin filed a motion for contempt of court.

Lawyers for Infowars argued that because defendants had appeared in court regarding their motion to dismiss, they were not required to comply with the discovery process. The Texas Court of Appeals disagreed with Infowars’ interpretation of Texas law and tossed the appeal.

In a ruling rendered August 30, 2019, Jones’ appeal to the Texas Court of Appeals from the District Court of Travis County was dismissed. Jones was ordered to “pay all costs relating to this appeal, both in this Court and in the court below.”

“We agree with Heslin that the district court has not yet ruled on Appellants’ motion to dismiss, nor has the motion been overruled by operation of law. Accordingly, we dismiss the appeal for lack of jurisdiction,” Justice Gisela Triana wrote in the opinion.

Infowars’ failed appeal wasted nearly a year of time in Heslin’s lawsuit against Infowars. Mark Bankston, an attorney representing Heslin, said the next steps in the case won’t be clear until parties meet with the court.
Wow. So it's not over yet by any stretch. The headline made me think that it had reached a final outcome. I don't know if this appeal was just a delaying tactic or what, but I take it that it's been booted back down to the lower court to continue wherever it left off.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare