Official Fucking Asshole of the Week Thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Official Fucking Asshole of the Week Thread

Post by Doctor X » Fri May 24, 2019 5:04 am

Not knowing enough so allow me to speculate, it was a three year-old who got roached and parents cannot let go of that.

So it survives into a permanent vegetative state or, worse, "minimally conscious" and, there you go. It never gets better. It never will get better. But now the parents have to either withdraw all support or wait. The same conundrum confronted Teri Schiavo's husband. After a decade or so a physician finally asked him why they were bothering to treat her latest urinary tract infection.

Care givers see them as what they are: slabs of meat.

It is sad, disgusting, and further evidences--you are welcome--that there is no Santa Claus, Gram's Mom is only interested in your money, and who the fuck would put that sociopath Bran on the throne?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri May 24, 2019 5:14 am

shemp wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:50 am
Easy there, Anax. You start euthanizing people who can't give consent, and the next thing you know, you're gassing them in the back of a van. I'm all in on assisted suicide, but putting humans down without their consent is a much different game.
Yeah, I thought about the fact that she can't give consent. But she also can't give consent for what they're doing to her. I know what I'd want them to do if it were me. Put me out of my misery. When a horse breaks its leg, we don't ask for its consent. When a dog gets rabies, we don't ask for its consent.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri May 24, 2019 5:18 am

Who makes the definition of what is and what is not human?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri May 24, 2019 5:30 am

I'm not saying she's not human, I'm thinking it might not be relevant. She is definitely a member of the species.

Maybe, for cases where it is impossible to obtain consent from the patient themselves, there could be a "reasonable man standard". "Would a reasonable person, if given a choice, give consent in such a situation?"

Ask 1000 people, hey, if you knew in advance that you were going to be a bedridden vegetable for the rest of your life, would you choose to be euthanized? (I leave the precise wording of the question to more sensitive people). Maybe that's not enough, but it could be a starting point for thinking about the question.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri May 24, 2019 6:13 am

Here Anax, pour me some of the nigiri [He could look up the spelling but then it would reveal initiative.--Ed.], sit, and let me tell you as story.

What happens, is, when a Mummy Bird and a Daddy Bird, who love each other very much, start to feel certain urges . . .

. . .

. . . no . . . wait.

Two sad tales.

Sad Tale the First: which is sort of personal so do not take this wrong. You are a parent. You have mentioned having a son and a daughter. Imagine, as distasteful as it is to suggest and do so, that one of them suffered such a condition. How hard is it to "let go." I mention that because while you may be able to, in time, see through the emotion to understand the situation rationally, it is very, very hard for many parents.

Worse, the condition may demand it. I do not know this case, but given the results, the child suffered a cerebral disaster from a finite condition such as anoxia or trauma rather than a malignant process that tends not to "go away." The recovery period for adults from such can be in about two "peaks" of six months then another six months.

For kids?

All bets are off. Unless it is fucking obvious as in the CT scan shows one or two neurons swimming in a sea of CSF waving to one another, kids can "come back." There is a greater potential for recovery and, also, it is easier to make kids look like warmed-over shit.

There is the tragedy. There is no way of knowing the kid will recover or not until it has happened. Now you have a stable vegetable. So now you have to tell the parents it is time to give up. Very hard.

Add in a parent who also has a religion, and you can see the problem.

I will also suggest blame to the various physicians who also do not want to "give up" for various reasons such as hope, religion, incompetence with regards to the condition, all the way to unable to give bad news when it involves a child. Always easier to "punt" rather than face the grim reality.

Not asking you to agree with that, just to understand why parents get "stuck."

Sad Tale the Second: you can review the "classical" medical ethics case of "Dax" who suffered burns over 475% of his body and who wanted all care stopped so he could die. What most treatments fail to examine is the fucking white elephant rogering Gram's M[Get on with it.--Ed.].

He gave power of attorney to Gram's his mum. She, being very Christian and fearing he was not "right with the sociopath" refused and demanded "everything be done."

And this went on.

Through courts and many handwringing publications.

Why did he not simply revoke the power of attorney? He was competent. As one ethicist noted, he never answered that question when asked, even years later when he would lecture everyone on what medical ethics should be.

You know the answer, or can probably guess it.

No disrespect to him. He was horribly burned and the treatment of burns would make one wish for shemp's ass cancer. It is easy to judge when one is not inflicted.

Which brings me to the WORLD CHAMPION GREATEST DYNASTY . . . no . . . wait . . . which brings me back to the practical point of how does one make this determination.

The answer is that it is not easy. One of the biggest obstacles in the Schiavo case was dealing with the St. Seans of Jesus News who could not face the fact that praying to some clown nailed to a board does not, actually, result in miracles. Or as I frequently quip, "fuck your kid with cancer BIG PAPI NEEDS A HOME RUN!"

That is rational, but we are dealing with irrational situations.

In the rain.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri May 24, 2019 6:39 am

Thinking about it as a thought experiment, I think I know what answer I would arrive at if honestly informed and not given false hope. However, I can't be certain that my wife, who also has a say in the matter would be of the same opinion. She's not religious. Still, I don't know. I suppose if we did ask 1000 people, some of them would be St. Seans, who think it's "all part of God's will" or who knows what. Bottom line is, you probably would not get a unanimous result either way, because official Catholic dogma is to always choose life until God chooses to take it away.

Anyway, I just hope she isn't suffering. I can't imagine what it's like.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri May 24, 2019 7:50 am

No one really knows until they are in the situation. It is, as you probably understand, an inherently "unfair" situation since, outside a Dickens novel where you have 8 kids expecting to lose a good four before the second interminably tedious chapter to "the croup" and "flux," parents are not "suppose" to outlive their children.

As for whether or not she is suffering, if she is vegetative, then all that which processes and understands suffering is gone. The body still reacts to pain reflexively.

To renew your faith in a "Gives Us All His Love" deity, if she is minimally conscious, she may be suffering. As I often caution, there is always a "worse" thing in life than we usually experience.

Here, this thread needs this for a moment:

https://preview.redd.it/7t90uzg6kok21.g ... 91388158f0

have a bunny.

--J.D.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Fri May 24, 2019 9:33 pm

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html
A 102-year-old woman is being evicted from her longtime residence in unincorporated Ladera Heights so the landlord’s daughter can move in instead, according to an eviction notice the woman received.

Thelma Smith was given notice on March 8 that she must vacate the single-family home where she has resided for nearly 30 years.

The woman’s situation has garnered the attention of many throughout the country, including former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger who tweeted about his friendship with her.

Thelma has been a dear friend for a long time. Imagine doing this to a 102-year-old woman who gave back to the community her whole life. It is heartless. Thelma, I’ll be reaching out to help. Landlords, you’ll hear from me too. https://t.co/IJQrclGQ6I
— Arnold (@Schwarzenegger) May 24, 2019

Smith’s landlords said they were ending her month-to-month lease because their daughter is graduating from law school.

“The dwelling is needed as her principal place of residence,” the notice said.

They gave the centenarian three months to get out.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Fri May 24, 2019 10:43 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:30 am
I'm not saying she's not human, I'm thinking it might not be relevant. She is definitely a member of the species.

Maybe, for cases where it is impossible to obtain consent from the patient themselves, there could be a "reasonable man standard". "Would a reasonable person, if given a choice, give consent in such a situation?"

Ask 1000 people, hey, if you knew in advance that you were going to be a bedridden vegetable for the rest of your life, would you choose to be euthanized? (I leave the precise wording of the question to more sensitive people). Maybe that's not enough, but it could be a starting point for thinking about the question.
And how does abortion fit into this construct?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri May 24, 2019 11:27 pm

I think abortion is a different question. I'm pro-choice, but I don't really see the two questions as the same.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri May 24, 2019 11:54 pm

ed: This answers the part of your question that isn't about abortion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_h ... iving_will
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sat May 25, 2019 12:38 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:33 pm
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html
A 102-year-old woman is being evicted from her longtime residence in unincorporated Ladera Heights so the landlord’s daughter can move in instead, according to an eviction notice the woman received.

Thelma Smith was given notice on March 8 that she must vacate the single-family home where she has resided for nearly 30 years.

The woman’s situation has garnered the attention of many throughout the country, including former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger who tweeted about his friendship with her.

Thelma has been a dear friend for a long time. Imagine doing this to a 102-year-old woman who gave back to the community her whole life. It is heartless. Thelma, I’ll be reaching out to help. Landlords, you’ll hear from me too. https://t.co/IJQrclGQ6I
— Arnold (@Schwarzenegger) May 24, 2019

Smith’s landlords said they were ending her month-to-month lease because their daughter is graduating from law school.

“The dwelling is needed as her principal place of residence,” the notice said.

They gave the centenarian three months to get out.
two words: ice flow.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat May 25, 2019 12:48 am

My own elderly parents got kicked out of their apartment for a similar reason. Landlord said he needed it for himself. I don't know if he actually moved into it or not after they moved out, but that was the reason given.
William Shakespeare

ed

Post by ed » Sat May 25, 2019 1:11 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:27 pm
I think abortion is a different question. I'm pro-choice, but I don't really see the two questions as the same.
Life is life, no?

ed

Post by ed » Sat May 25, 2019 1:16 am

I think I mentioned the situation with my father. Massive heart attack. EMT called, came after his heart stopped. Pumped him, got a heartbeat. By that time dad was a veg.

No living will. We forged one. Lied. I told the Dr to pull the plug, no discussion about wishes. There was nothing there. That thing that makes us human was gone so what was the point?

Rule 1: Calling EMT is not always the best course.
Rule 2: make sure your closest family members know exactly what you want and are on board. My brother was a wreck so I got him out during the discussions with the doctors.

Not the most wonderful experience but I believe that my dad would have thanked me.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat May 25, 2019 2:49 am

↑ Sorry to hear that, ed. Having had to take a similar decision, I know it's hard.

As for the "being on board" part, small personal anecdote. A (not so close) friend of mine, let's call him Bob, died unexpectedly – while putting on his coat to go see someone. He had an agreement with a close friend who would manage things after his death. A verbal agreement, they never put anything on paper, still apparently feeling too young to die.
Enter the deceased's sister, who came back from the US to wreck total havoc as next of kin. Bob wasn't very rich, but he was a Surrealist writer and had befriended, or at least met, most of the people of that group. His library of rare autographed books went to a junk shop. And his notebooks disappeared.

:|

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun May 26, 2019 12:43 am

Same thing with my own dad. He did have a living trust set up and a signed DNR. Easy peasy.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun May 26, 2019 3:50 pm

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other- ... 44109.html
Lance Armstrong has insisted he "wouldn't change a thing" about the doping that helped him win seven editions of the Tour de France before he was subsequently stripped of the titles.

Armstrong returned from cancer to dominate the Tour between 1999 and 2005 but fiercely denied allegations of doping until coming clean in an interview with Oprah Winfrey in January 2013, five months after he had been handed a life ban from cycling.

In a new interview with NBC Sports, the 47-year-old American said he was grateful for the lessons he had learned.

"We did what we had to do to win," Armstrong said. "It wasn't legal, but I wouldn't change a thing - whether it's losing a bunch of money, or going from hero to zero.

"It was a mistake, it led to a lot of other mistakes. It led to the most colossal meltdown in the history of sport. But I learned a lot."
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun May 26, 2019 4:33 pm

Asshole in a Radio Shack hat.

"Wouldn't change a thing..." In that case, he didn't really learn anything. Hey, shitsmear? How about playing by the rules? Keep thinking Zero, fuckwad and act accordingly. Numb nut(s) like this one shouldn't be seen or heard. Ever again.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 27, 2019 8:55 am

--J. "Look at You Now!" D.

P.S. Because, why not: