Free kindle ebooks

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: Free kindle ebooks

Post by Witness »

xouper wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:22 am I am often skeptical of books about how to become a bazillionaire, especially trading stocks or crytocurrency, or whatever. If you're so good at trading (or investing), then why aren't you busy doing that instead of wasting your time on the few pennies you will make selling such books. Do you really imagine you can make more money per hour writing a book instead of doing what you claim to be an expert at? And if you can make more money writing a book than trading stocks, then of what value is your advice on stock trading?
Economy and finance experts should, logically, be all stinking rich.

I own this writer's manual:

Bought directly from the author (but I see that it's now available through commercial circuits), at a time when its price was indexed on the price of truffles, by weight. :)

Nice paper, nice classical typography, nice binding, perfect French and an interesting read. Some points he makes about selling one's works have stuck with me:
  • apart from two or three scores of famous authors the average income of a writer is roughly that of a cleaning lady;
  • 90 % of published texts aren't novels (but technical stuff like bank reports, manuals, &c.) yet 90 % of what publishers get in their mail are novels;
  • France didn't publish more books per year in the 20th century than it did in the 19th.
On the other hand I once met a dude living in the Parc des volcans (protected, quite wild, region in central France) who told me he started his writing career by slapping together a book from other books on a subject he knew nothing about: breeding dwarf rabbits (sic). Unexpected success and he had been doing similar stuff since then. It paid the bills and he had a cozy life.
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

Witness wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:11 am
xouper wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:22 am I am often skeptical of books about how to become a bazillionaire, especially trading stocks or crytocurrency, or whatever. If you're so good at trading (or investing), then why aren't you busy doing that instead of wasting your time on the few pennies you will make selling such books. Do you really imagine you can make more money per hour writing a book instead of doing what you claim to be an expert at? And if you can make more money writing a book than trading stocks, then of what value is your advice on stock trading?
Economy and finance experts should, logically, be all stinking rich.
To be fair, that's not an accurate translation of what I intended to say.

I wasn't referring to all such experts. I was referring primarily to those "experts" who claim that their book will teach you how to be stinking rich. I had assumed that would have been clear from the first sentence you quoted.

It's possible there are some authors who have retired from becoming stinking rich and have taken up philanthropy in the form of writing a book on how to become stinking rich.

It's also possible that there is an author or two out there who is not stinking rich but has taught someone how to become stinking rich who then actually became stinking rich by using the author's advice. Makes me wonder if it was that easy then why didn't the author use his own advice to become stinking rich himself?

But any author who has not already become stinking rich, well that seems to argue against the credibility of their written "advice" on how to become stinking rich. That was my main point. It is at least grounds for being skeptical, as I clearly stated in the first sentence quoted above.

So thanks for offering me an opportunity to clarify my intent.

Anecdote: When I was living in Chicagoland, I personally knew someone who became stinking rich in commodities futures. It was his full time job, self-employed, in his own private office within walking distance from the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. He even had his own personal jet to flit about the planet doing his research. It was not cost effective for him to take time away from that to write a book showing other people how they too can become stinking rich trading commodities futures. Also, it took a lot of hard work to do what he did on a daily basis, and there was no magic shortcut that would fit in a book. Also, he didn't want the competition.
Witness

Post by Witness »

xouper wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:22 am To be fair, that's not an accurate translation of what I intended to say.
I was not rephrasing you.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Witness wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:07 pm
xouper wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:22 am To be fair, that's not an accurate translation of what I intended to say.
I was not rephrasing you.
Thanks for clearing up that ambiguity.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Another free kindle book, posted in another thread: viewtopic.php?p=1058723#p1058723
xouper

Post by xouper »

I got this one in yesterday's pile of free kindle books from amazon:

The Science Behind Burping: A Funny Science Book For Kids About Burping
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091MM7CP1/

I got book one and two of the series last month:

Image Image

And now I have all three in the set. :WooHoo:

I added that "author" to my watch list in case they add more books to the series.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

i think it is silly for you to archive all that shit but it is nice when you find a good one and post it here. i give you a silver star for that. i might like a dead tree hardcover set of that book for my grandkids. is it good inside? good cover
xouper

Post by xouper »

Rob Lister wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:32 am i think it is silly for you to archive all that shit . . .
I think it's silly for you to belittle someone's hobby. Especially one that has an actual purpose.

Rob Lister wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:32 am . . . is it good inside? good cover
I haven't looked inside (yet).
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

xouper wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:37 am
Rob Lister wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:32 am i think it is silly for you to archive all that shit . . .
I think it's silly for you to belittle someone's hobby.
Dude! That is all that life has left me. Don't take that too.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

That reminds me, I haven't checked my free book on kindle for this month. Generally speaking I get six options a month, one free, and usually the selections are by a panel of 6 diverse white women editors.

Naturally, all of the Authors chosen are women and generally include a selection that includes:

Jayne Little of the Airy Women: A pathetic attempt to re-write something by Bronte involving magnificently beautiful and irresistible 20-something who is shackled by the male homogeneous patriarchy around her and she against all odds breaks free from the oppressive oppression of evil oppressiveness, humiliates every man she meets with her sassy brashness, flirts with evil man to piss the nice man off but she sees the error of her ways at the last minutes and opens a sewing shop or something and gets married and churns out kids like she was supposed to do in the first place.

Bitch Cop III : Return to Bitchness: A pathetic attempt to re-write something by Lynda La Plante involving magnificently beautiful and irresistible 20-something who is shackled by the male homogeneous patriarchy around her and she against all odds breaks free from the oppressive oppression of evil oppressiveness, humiliates every man she meets with her sassy brashness sand solves a murder or something, flirts with evil cop to piss the nice cop off but she sees the error of her ways at the last minute and gets married and churns out kids like she was supposed to do in the first place.

Helen Of Atroycious: A pathetic attempt to re-write something by Euripedes involving magnificently beautiful and irresistible 20-something who is shackled by the male homogeneous patriarchy around her and she against all odds breaks free from the oppressive oppression of evil oppressiveness, humiliates every man she meets with her sassy brashness, flirts with evil man to piss the nice guy off and gets loads of blokes to fawn over her and fight or something and gets married and churns out kids like she was supposed to do in the first place.

I want a Billionaire's Cock: A pathetic attempt to re-write 50 Shades involving magnificently beautiful and irresistible 20-something who is shackled by the male homogeneous patriarchy around her and she against all odds breaks free from the oppressive oppression of evil oppressiveness humiliates every man she meets with her sassy brashness and flirts with evil billionaire to piss the nice billionaire off and ends up with nice guy gets married and churns out kids like she was supposed to do in the first place.

Fucking a Werewolf. There's nothing wrong with it: A pathetic attempt to re-write 98% of all the free books on Kindle involving magnificently beautiful and irresistible 20-something who is shackled by the male homogeneous patriarchy around her and she against all odds breaks free from the oppressive oppression of evil oppressiveness, , humiliates every werewolf she meets with her sassy brashness and gets loads of werewolves running about who randomly kill people and never get arrested, flirts with evil werewolf to piss the nice werewolf off but she sees the error of her ways at the last minute and gets married and churns out little dogs like she was supposed to do in the first place.

Yessir, that's my poppadom: A pathetic attempt to re-write every single immigrant's story ever written involving magnificently beautiful and irresistible 20-something who is shackled by the male homogeneous (racist obviously) patriarchy around her and she against all odds breaks free from the oppressive oppression of evil oppressiveness , humiliates every man she meets with her sassy brashness and gets a part time job in Morrisons before getting married and churning out kids like she was supposed to do in the first place.

Bonus Novel : Tarts Wars: Intergalactic Lesbo-Bitch: Part One of A pathetic attempt to re-write every single science fiction triology ever written involving magnificently beautiful and irresistible 20-something who is shackled by the male homogeneous patriarchy around her and she against all odds breaks free from the oppressive oppression of evil oppressiveness, humiliates every man she meets with her sassy brashness and kicks the shit out of everything in Universe, becomes undefeatable Pirate Queen and who the fuck writes this shit.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness