Do you realize...

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

Do you realize...

Post by Nyarlathotep »

That when you watch the famous "Huey Lewis and the News" scene in American Psycho, you are watching Batman kill The Joker?

Just realized that watching it this weekend

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Do you realize...

Post by Doctor X »

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Jared Leto played The Joker in Suicide Squad. Not as adeptly as Ledger, but that wasn't the point.

Also, you could also say that you saw Bateman kill the Joker. Equally true.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Christian Bale's early work was a little too art house for my taste. But when Batman Begins came out in '83, I think he really came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole movie is a fress, new take on the superhero genre, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the movie a big boost. He's been compared to Micheal Keaton, but I think Christian has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Never heard of that film.

I believe you are imagining things again.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

The Joker
Title: Clown Prince of Crime

Post by The Joker »

Relax! I'm only gonna burn my half.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Despite being executed quite well, Batman Begins has at this point become yet another in an ever escalating series of "Batman, only dark" movie premises. As time passes will it be remembered? Maybe Returns will, if only in meme form :)
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

The Joker wrote:Image
Cesar Romero was the best Joker.

Adam West was the best Batman.

Batman, only NOT dark. :BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

gnome wrote:Despite being executed quite well, Batman Begins has at this point become yet another in an ever escalating series of "Batman, only dark" movie premises. As time passes will it be remembered? Maybe Returns will, if only in meme form :)
Batman is dark. He's one step from Punisher, who is another excellent super hero.
Last edited by Grammatron on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

gnome wrote:Despite being executed quite well, Batman Begins has at this point become yet another in an ever escalating series of "Batman, only dark" movie premises. As time passes will it be remembered? Maybe Returns will, if only in meme form :)
Yes, it is. In '87, Bale released this; The Dark Knight, his most accomplished film. I think his undisputed masterpiece is the scene where The Joker is hanging upside down after being captured. A scene so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the dialogue. But they should, because it's not just about the good vs evil and the importance of a hero having a nemesis. It's also a personal statement about the movie itself. Hey, gnome!

AAAAAAAGH!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Grammatron wrote:
Batman is b]dark[/b]. He's one step from Punisher, who is another excellent super hero.
He started dark. He only got less dark when the Comics Code Authority made him do so. And as the tightasses in the CCA were forced to loosen up, he returned to being dark. A guy dressing up like a bat to beat up mentally ill clowns to get catharsis for the death of his parents can't HELP but be dark, really.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
Batman is b]dark[/b]. He's one step from Punisher, who is another excellent super hero.
He started dark. He only got less dark when the Comics Code Authority made him do so. And as the tightasses in the CCA were forced to loosen up, he returned to being dark. A guy dressing up like a bat to beat up mentally ill clowns to get catharsis for the death of his parents can't HELP but be dark, really.
Exactly.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Nyarlathotep wrote:A guy dressing up like a bat to beat up mentally ill clowns to get catharsis for the death of his parents can't HELP but be dark, really.
Adam West managed to keep it light.

And showed that was the right way to play it.

It takes a great actor to do that. 8)

gnome

Post by gnome »

Grammatron wrote:
Batman is dark. He's one step from Punisher, who is another excellent super hero.
Which is why some of the Hollywood approach to it is getting silly.

A video game example from Old Man Murray: It's like they said, "Let's make a version of Crazy Taxi, only this one's CRAZY"
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

As a Wee Spud, the local library--the place you walked to . . . uphill . . . both ways . . . to obtain these things called "books"--had a collected history of Batman comics.

Batman killed indiscriminately. All captured criminals "got the chair" on a big headline.

Why I always found the "vow not to kill"--ironically perpetuated by Frank Miller--as stupid as the claim Vulcans cannot lie. As silly as the belief that Mr. Mom was Batman.

--J.D.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

That "Vow not to kill" thing is a relic of the CCA days.

1930's Batman would straight up kill a man. He didn't give any fucks

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Nyarlathotep wrote:That "Vow not to kill" thing is a relic of the CCA days.

1930's Batman would straight up kill a man. He didn't give any fucks
Those were simpler times.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Thanks Obama!

--J.D.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Doctor X wrote:Thanks Obama! Herbert Hoover!

--J.D.
FTFY