Boxing

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Boxing

Post by ed » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:10 am

The only real sport, that and Curling and moose tipping

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/25/opin ... ght-region

Interesting bout tonight. MMA guy against a real boxer.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Boxing

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:47 pm

Yea, it will be interesting.

I've got no doubt McGregor would destroy Mayweather in an MMA ring. But he's never had a boxing match. I don't know if it is quite apples and oranges but their different fruits of some kind.

Current odds
Floyd Mayweather by KO TKO or Disqualification ... 4/6
Floyd Mayweather by Decision or Technical Decision ... 11/4
Conor McGregor by KO TKO or Disqualification ... 7/2
Conor McGregor by Decision or Technical Decision ... 25/1
Draw or Technical Draw ... 33/1
http://sports.coral.co.uk/boxing/upcomi ... 02698.html

[youtube][/youtube]

McGregor's record
Total 24
Wins 21
By knockout 18
By submission 1
By decision 2
Losses 3
By submission 3

Mayweather's record

Total fights 49
Wins 49
Wins by KO 26
Losses 0

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:45 am

Well that was a fight I'd like to have seen. Mayweather takes McGregor in the 10th by TKO.

It certainly wasn't the mismatch everyone was predicting.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:19 pm

I admit I watched it for free on periscope. It was interesting, there was a beautiful HD feed for the first 3 rounds, then it was shut down. Found another feed that was almost as good, it was shut down. By the end of the fight it was literally a shot of someone's TV screen and the sound of the fight was supplemented by the shouts of the people in the room with the TV who would occasionally walk in front of the screen.

But there was no way I'd pay $100 to watch a boxing match on TV. I just don't care that much about boxing, I just watched this for the boxer vs. MMA freak show. McGregor did much better than I thought, but Mayweather is 40 now so that certainly had a lot to do with it.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Didn't watch but I wouldn't have expected it to go 10 rounds.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:53 am

This just in: The New England Patriots--the World Champ[Get on with it!--Ed.]--will be playing the Los Angeles Dodgers in Super Bowl LII! :hyper:

What?

The Dodgers have the best record in the MLB! You telling me that a guy who can pick up a 98 mph fast ball cannot pick up a blitz?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:45 am

Hmmmm, is it legal to pick up a blitz with a bat?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:23 am

It has to count as holding.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:32 am

Some people made a lot of money.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:52 am

No one who deserved to.

Mayweather is a bucket of liquid shit and MacGreggor just likes to use racist terms "all in good fun." I suppose that is far better than repeatedly beating the shit out of women then claiming that since no video exists--see Ray Rice--it was all made up and "Big Daddy will judge him."

Yet they laugh all the way to the bank. Mayweather can afford all of the child support, hospital bills, and "oh officer, I'm sorry, I did not mean that and don't pay attention to my 10 year-old who witnessed and reported it all."

--J.D.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:15 am

I knew there was a reason I didn't care about this exhibition match.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:39 am

The fact that ESPN and Fox and other slathered it all over the place as if it was significant should almost merit placing this whole thread into the Nyarl was RIGHT DOOM thread.

I did find it amusing that Steven J. Smith came on a Boston station that he usually will. He previously denounced St. Tom of Brady for T#H CHE$ATINGS without having read anything about it. He has been a frequent guest in the past and present on a number of t3h sp0rtz topics.

One of the hosts frankly asked him why he has been, well, sucking Mayweather's dick. Going to his home for interviews. Those "special" interviews where he kneeled BEFORE ZOD! before Mayweather and swallowed. Why, with all of that, he has never, ever challenged Mayweather on his repeated beating of women.

Exasperated, Smith claimed he did right after Mayweather was released from, you know, prison, for, you know, pleading "no contest" for, you know, beating the shit out of a woman. Mayweather holds to the fantasy that nolo contendre means "innocent/youse can'ts proves nothings, Skwisgaar!"

There is NO evidences--thanks--of that interview. Funny thing about the Interwebz and modern media is they can find everything including said interview where, surprise, surprise, Smith asked fuck all about it.

Reportedly, at the media cluster-fucks before the fight, Smith told others he refuses to appear on that station ever again.

Oh and I forgot to mention Smith was suspended for suggesting that women should take responsibility for pushing their men to hitting them in response to Ray Rice's knocking out his fiance. You know, Smith has sisters who back-sass a lot.

But, you know, deflated balls that were not actually deflated! Colin Kapearfuck cannot get a job because he sucks! Need to fight that! Women? Man, if they just SHUT UP WHEN I DONE TOLD THEM THE FIRST TIME RIGHT?!!!!

Pathetic.

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:21 pm

Minor point of correction -- I can't believe you got me defending the Stephen A Smith -- but Smith was (and I believe still is) critical of Kaepernick particularly after Kaepernick revealed he wasn't registered to vote.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:29 pm

So, I am not a sports guy so tell me if I am misunderstanding this...

Mayweather is a professional boxer. He boxes for a living and that's what he trains for all the time. Correct?

McGregor is an MMA fighter. Which means not a boxer. He may or may not incorporate boxing into his style, I don't know. But boxing is not his main thing, it is, at best, a sideline. Correct?

And people are surprised that the professional boxer beat the not-a-boxer? I am not getting why this is such a big deal.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:So, I am not a sports guy so tell me if I am misunderstanding this...

Mayweather is a professional boxer. He boxes for a living and that's what he trains for all the time. Correct?

McGregor is an MMA fighter. Which means not a boxer. He may or may not incorporate boxing into his style, I don't know. But boxing is not his main thing, it is, at best, a sideline. Correct?

And people are surprised that the professional boxer beat the not-a-boxer? I am not getting why this is such a big deal.
When they fought according to the rules of boxing it is a ho-hum, I think. Otherwise the MMA guy would have kicked his ass.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:46 pm

Well yeah, I should have written "And people are surprised that the professional boxer beat the not-a-boxer at boxing"

If they had fought an MMA match I would likewise assume the MMA guy would beat the not-an-MMA guy

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:53 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Well yeah, I should have written "And people are surprised that the professional boxer beat the not-a-boxer at boxing"

If they had fought an MMA match I would likewise assume the MMA guy would beat the not-an-MMA guy
The Vegas odds were about 95% in favor of Mayweather, so no one is really surprised. The hype machine made it seems like there would be a chance and some people were foolish enough to buy into that hype.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:56 pm

I guess the part I am having trouble understanding is why this was a thing to begin with. Again, not a sports guy but watching a professional (whatever) beat a non-professional (whatever) at that sport wouldn't make for a very exciting match up.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:I guess the part I am having trouble understanding is why this was a thing to begin with. Again, not a sports guy but watching a professional (whatever) beat a non-professional (whatever) at that sport wouldn't make for a very exciting match up.
UFC is very popular. McGregor is very popular and good at hype. Mayweather and McGregor spent a year building the hype and brand, and then cashed in. It's that simple.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:58 pm

And it was a damn good fight, from what I hear. McGregor took the first four rounds. And had he connected--which he didn't--he'd have knocked Mayweather out. But Mayweather boxed while McGregor tried to fight. The results were predictable ... predicted.

It was a worthy fight.

And for those that bitch about promotion? N fucking FL

It's all promotion else we would not watch it.