Boxing

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Boxing

Post by Doctor X » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Mayweather is a professional boxer. He boxes for a living and that's what he trains for all the time. Correct?

McGregor is an MMA fighter. Which means not a boxer. He may or may not incorporate boxing into his style, I don't know. But boxing is not his main thing, it is, at best, a sideline. Correct?

And people are surprised that the professional boxer beat the not-a-boxer? I am not getting why this is such a big deal.
Precisely.

Because Mayweather is such a bucket of shit, fools rooted against him and payed "just to see IF" he could get beaten. It is all about the money. If Vegas could dig up Pol Pot and find Hitler and make the wrestle it would make so much money that Nevada could capsize because fools will watch it, bet on it, even attend it.

The Talking Heads for Fools will spend weeks if not months talking it up.

As for Colin Krapofshit: Stephen A. Smith typically comes late to the outrage. Comments about his "pigs" socks? His stupid lauding of Castro? Please!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Doctor X wrote: As for Colin Krapofshit: Stephen A. Smith typically comes late to the outrage. Comments about his "pigs" socks? His stupid lauding of Castro? Please!

--J.D.
Oh absolutely, fuck them both. But I figured there's plenty of things to dislike about them without inventing more or ascribing things to them that they are not responsible for.

Tangentially that's why I like law as a profession. It's important that even the most guilty piece of shit is charged and tried for the crimes they committed and bare any responsibility.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:23 pm

You guys are a piece of fucking work. It was a fucking prize fight, not a political dissertation.

Mayweather, the wifebeater, beat McGregor, the racist. And it isn't like Mayweather never said Honkey! It isn't like McGregor never slapped a Hoe. Get used to it.

And it was a decent fight! What the fuck more could you want? It was a good fight between bad people. They both got hurt to the tune of half a billion dollars split between them.

The wifebeater got more. What more could you want? Damn. Get a grip.
Last edited by Rob Lister on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:35 pm

Rob Lister wrote:You guys are a piece of fucking work. It was a fucking prize fight, not a political dissertation.

Mayweather, the wifebeater, beat McGregor, the racist. And it was a decent fight! What the fuck more could you want? It was a good fight between bad people. They both got hurt to the tune of half a billion dollars split between them.

The wifebeater got more. What more could you want? Damn. Get a grip.
Fuck you! You can't tell me not to have a philosophical drift during a casual conversation about a piece of overpriced entertainment.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:12 am

Grammatron wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:Well yeah, I should have written "And people are surprised that the professional boxer beat the not-a-boxer at boxing"

If they had fought an MMA match I would likewise assume the MMA guy would beat the not-an-MMA guy
The Vegas odds were about 95% in favor of Mayweather, so no one is really surprised. The hype machine made it seems like there would be a chance and some people were foolish enough to buy into that hype.
Even though McGregor lost, I think he exceeded expectations by making it to the 10th round. If someone were to make a hypothetical argument for him, it would go something like this: sure boxing is Mayweather's sport, but he's also 40 years old and had been retired for 2 years before this, while McGregor is in his athletic prime.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:29 am

DPRK News Service‏ @DPRK_News Aug 27

Fancy Irish Dancer Conor McGregor loses to Noted Illiterate Floyd Mayflower in boxing.
Marshall Kim Jong Un undefeated in fight competition
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:16 am

Mayweather basically kept him up for ten rounds so people would not complain like they did with his Paquiosomethingforeign fight. He knew an MMA fighter could not last that many rounds. No disrespect to MMA fighters--no one can last that long unless they train to do so.

And, yeah, if it was an MMA fight the Racist would have destroyed the Serial Woman Batterer.

They both laughed all the way to the bank. 200+ million for the Batterer and a good 100 million for the Racist.

Seems appropriate:

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:31 am

Boxer Writes Emotional Letter After Punch Puts Rival in Coma
'I never meant this to happen to you, all I wanted to do was win'

Patrick Day, right, punches Elvin Ayala during the eighth round of a WBC Continental Americas super welterweight championship boxing match Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – A boxer is fighting for his life in a Chicago hospital after being knocked out in the 10th round of a bout at Wintrust Arena on Saturday. Patrick Day's management company says the 27-year-old was in a coma and was in "extremely critical condition" as of Sunday night, the Washington Post reports. Day was knocked out by a left hook from Charles Conwell in the 10th and final round of their super welterweight title bout, reports WGN. It's not clear if Day, who had been knocked down twice earlier in the fight, regained consciousness before he was rushed to the hospital.
https://www.newser.com/story/281732/box ... round.html

Here's a bad knock down then the death blow. I'm sure youtube will pull this but it's up right now.

Okay, not yet a death yet, but he may never wake up.

Some are commenting the ref should have stopped the fight after that nasty knockdown but honestly, he looked to me like he could continue. I wouldn't have stopped it and I'm pretty conservative.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:36 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:31 am
Okay, now he's dead.
Boxer Patrick Day has died four days after sustaining head injuries in a Chicago fight with Charles Conwell. Promoter Lou DiBella said Day died Wednesday at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. He was 27. "He was surrounded by his family, close friends and members of his boxing team, including his mentor, friend and trainer Joe Higgins, and Doc's mom.
https://www.newser.com/story/281824/box ... ckout.html

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:41 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:36 am
Rob Lister wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:31 am
Okay, now he's dead.
Boxer Patrick Day has died four days after sustaining head injuries in a Chicago fight with Charles Conwell. Promoter Lou DiBella said Day died Wednesday at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. He was 27. "He was surrounded by his family, close friends and members of his boxing team, including his mentor, friend and trainer Joe Higgins, and Doc's mom.
https://www.newser.com/story/281824/box ... ckout.html

Patrick Day

Pro Boxing
17 4 1
6 KOs 2 KOs
bouts 22
rounds 126
KOs 27.27%

status inactive
career 2013-2019
born 1992-08-09
nationality USA
death date 2019-10-16 / age 27
debut 2013-01-23
division super welter
stance orthodox
height 5′ 9″ / 175cm
reach 74″ / 188cm
residence Freeport, New York, USA
birth place Freeport, New York, USA

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:27 am

Pity. RIP.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:37 am

While I said that I wouldn't have stopped the fight after the first knockdown hit, I might have if I saw it in slow motion (video at 0:40).

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:46 am

Watching that video is kinda sickening. Feels like watching a snuff film.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare