The France thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: The France thread

Post by Witness »

asthmatic camel wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:33 pm It's ed shooting the crawdads with his formidable arsenal.
I don't believe in ed's crawdads anymore. :cry:

P. – S. Still shooting your snails? :mrgreen:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Reims, 1919/5/20.
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Witness wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:40 am
asthmatic camel wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:33 pm It's ed shooting the crawdads with his formidable arsenal.

Oh yes. Up at dawn with my silenced PCP. :)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Witness

Post by Witness »

One grammar and one orthography errors in that short French sentence. :|

In other news:

In Chechnya's Urus-Martanovsky district, Abdulak Anzorov, a young man who had earlier killed a teacher in France and cut off his head, was buried with honors.
The Froggies should have applied the Bin Laden treatment.
Witness

Post by Witness »

COVID-19: French president Emmanuel Macron tests positive for coronavirus

The French president will now isolate for seven days but will continue to work and carry out his activities remotely.

The Elysee Palace in Paris said on Thursday the 42-year-old was tested after showing early symptoms.

He will now isolate for seven days but will continue to work and carry out his activities remotely.

The brief statement did not give details of the symptoms the French president was experiencing.

His wife Brigitte, 67, is also self-isolating, her office said, although she is not showing any COVID-19 symptoms.

Mr Macron was due to visit Lebanon next week on 22 December. The trip has now been cancelled, a spokeswoman said.

It was not immediately clear what contact tracing efforts were in progress, but palace officials added he was trying to assess where he may have contracted the virus.
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-fre ... s-12165240
Witness

Post by Witness »

Some terrosrist attacks come to their judicial conclusion:
Inside the Trial of the ‘Right-hand Man’ Who Aided Paris Hyper Cacher Killer

Ali Riza Polat received a 30-year sentence on Wednesday for assisting three Islamist terrorists whose killing spree left 17 dead in January 2015. Not everyone in the Jewish community is happy with the verdicts for the 14 defendants

In the dock was Ali Riza Polat, charged with aiding and abetting Amédy Coulibaly, Saïd and Chérif Kouachi – the terrorists who attacked the Charlie Hebdo satirical newspaper and Hyper Cacher supermarket, killing 17 people in January 2015.
The presiding judge, Régis de Jorna, read out the sentences for the 14 defendants, which ranged from four years to life in prison. Eleven of the defendants were in the courtroom, while three – including Hayat Boumeddiene, the widow of Coulibaly – had fled to Syria before the first attack commenced on January 7, 2015.

The verdict ended the three-month trial linked to the three days of killings across Paris claimed jointly by the Islamic State group and Al-Qaida. All three terrorists died on January 9: the Kouachi brothers as they confronted the police after being cornered north of Paris, and Coulibaly during the police raid to end the siege at the Hyper Cacher store after he took dozens of people hostage.

Polat received the stiffest sentence among those present. “Ali Riza Polat: 30 years,” Judge de Jorna declared. The 35-year-old defendant, who had often shouted during the trial, was focused and quiet as the verdict was read out. (Boumeddiene received the same sentence in absentia.)

Prosecutors presented Polat as Coulibaly’s right-hand man, the person who helped him set up a network of young offenders who gave him the money to purchase weapons and carry out his attacks.

The French-Turkish national repeatedly denied being involved. “Are you crazy? Me? I’m implicated in terrorism? I’m a scapegoat!” Polat shouted during cross-examination in October. “I didn’t even know the Kouachi brothers, my DNA is on none of the weapons. The accusation is based entirely on false testimonies. I will not go to jail for something I didn’t do!” he raged.
https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/euro ... -1.9380673 for the rest.

Ayoub El-Khazzani: Gunman jailed for life over 2015 France train attack

A French court has sentenced an Islamist militant to life in jail over an August 2015 plot to attack Americans on a high-speed train.

Ayoub El-Khazzani, a Moroccan national, opened fire on board a train travelling from Amsterdam to Paris.

Two people were wounded in the incident before El-Khazzani was overpowered by passengers.

Three other men were found guilty of helping the 31-year-old plan the attack.

The events on board the train inspired a Clint Eastwood-directed film.

Dozens of people were called as witnesses following a four-year investigation into the attack.

El-Khazzani was found guilty of attempted murder as part of a terrorist enterprise over the attack, which happened three months before the deadly militant Islamist attacks in Paris that killed 130 people.

Three others were issued sentences of between seven and 27 years as accomplices.

The main defendant, who fought alongside Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria, had already admitted his role in the attack, near the town of Oignies in northern France. He told the trial last month he had been under orders from Paris attacks mastermind Abdelhamid Abaaoud to kill Americans and members of the European Commission.

In the end, he said he had been unable to carry out the plan. When Spencer Stone came at him "it was too much....I let him grab me", he told the court.

Earlier this month, one of three Americans hailed as heroes for overcoming El-Khazzani told the court his main aim had been to survive.

Spencer Stone, a 28-year-old ex-serviceman, described via video from the US how he and his friends had seen El-Khazzani pick up a Kalashnikov rifle and prepare to open fire.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55351608
Witness

Post by Witness »

Covid-19: French bill could ban unvaccinated from public transport

People who fail to get a Covid-19 vaccination could be banned from using public transport in France, according to a draft law sparking angry protests from opposition politicians on Tuesday.

Prime Minister Jean Castex on Monday got his cabinet's backing for a bill that is designed to provide a legal framework for dealing with health crises, including the coronavirus pandemic.

According to the text, which will now be submitted to parliament, a negative Covid test or proof of a "preventative treatment, including the administration of a vaccine" could be required for people to be granted "access to transport or to some locations, as well as certain activities".

According to opinion polls, 55 percent of French people say they will not get a Covid shot, one of the highest rates in the European Union.

The government's vaccination campaign is to start on Sunday.

President Emmanuel Macron has promised that coronavirus vaccinations, though strongly recommended, will not be mandatory.

But opposition politicians condemned the draft law, with Marine Le Pen, leader of the far-right RN party, calling it an "essentially totalitarian" measure.

"In a backhanded way, this bill does not aim to make vaccinations mandatory, but will prevent anybody who doesn't comply from having a social life," she said.

RN party spokesman Sebastien Chenu said Macron's government was planning "a health dictatorship".

Guillaume Peltier, deputy leader of the centre-right LR party, said it was "inconceivable" that the government should be allowed to "get all the power to suspend our freedoms without parliamentary control."

Centrist senator Nathalie Goulet said the draft was "an attack on public freedoms", while the far-left deputy Alexis Corbiere said "we could at least have a collective discussion if the idea is to limit our public liberties."

In response, public sector minister Amelie de Montchalin said the bill was "not at all made to create exceptional powers for the government" or "create a health state."

She said there would be a debate about the bill during which "everything that needs clarification will be clarified."
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/co ... r-BB1c98ZM
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

asthmatic camel wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:59 pm

Whoa ... almost missed that ...

You silence an airgun???????????????????????????????????????????

Why?
This space for let
Giz

Post by Giz »

An air gun?

I’d assumed something like this
https://www.google.com/amp/s/wjla.com/a ... police-say

But that AC did it... quietly
asthmatic camel

ed wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:01 pm
asthmatic camel wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:59 pm

Whoa ... almost missed that ...

You silence an airgun???????????????????????????????????????????

Why?
There's a logic behind my insanity.

While I'm shooting snails at dawn, I don't want to upset my lovely neighbours.

:twisted:
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
ed

Post by ed »

You clearly do not live in florida.

o what is your nom de guerre?

ahhhh I have it ....
This space for let
asthmatic camel

ed, I generally use one of these. Unlike you Yanks, we Brits have a sense of decorum. Even when shooting snails. Witness will have to give advice if this is the generally accepted method of executing Escargots.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Execargotion, if you will...
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
asthmatic camel

gnome wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:12 pm Execargotion, if you will...
I will not.

Snallifcation is my new bullshit term, and I shall stay with it. ;)
ed

Post by ed »

Acceptable only if you make a head shot
This space for let
Giz

Post by Giz »

Then it’s...

Wait for it

ex-cargot
asthmatic camel

ed wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:26 pm Acceptable only if you make a head shot
I only miss a head shot if Mrs. Camel yells at me unexpectedly.
Witness

Post by Witness »

asthmatic camel wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:28 pmWitness will have to give advice if this is the generally accepted method of executing Escargots.
asthmatic camel

I'd kind of like that as my kitchen table, Witness. It'd take too much effort to talk Mrs. Camel into accepting the concept, I fear. :)
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Nearly two months ahead of schedule for the removal of the great organ of Notre-Dame by the Atelier vauclusien Quoirin

The delicate operation carried out by the Quoirin organ workshop and its partners in Saint-Didier was completed in record time. The work began on August 3 and required scaffolding nearly 30 meters high. Meticulous preparation saved time.

A gigantic work because this great gothic [sic] organ built in 1733, is composed of 8,000 pipes divided into 115 stops, which makes it the largest instrument in France by the number of stops. The team of the Atelier Vauclusien had so precisely planned this dismantling of an organ that they know it very well that everything has just been completed two months ahead of schedule: "We had to prepare a lot of things beforehand to make sure that it went well," explains Pascal Quoirin, because the working conditions on site are difficult. And it was so well prepared that we were much faster than expected.

We had to remove all the pipes from the organ. There are still 8,000 pipes. They were placed in special insulating boxes because they cannot be placed just any way. They have to be standing upright, otherwise they can collapse. There are a lot of precautions to be taken, just as with an object of art".

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/societe ... 1607966554

Witness

Post by Witness »

French QAnon:

The Christmas tree symbolizes the Illuminati pyramid
– Star of the Ancient Gods
– Illuminati pyramid of power

:mrgreen:
Witness

Post by Witness »

:mrgreen:
Giz

Post by Giz »

“ survey reveals a huge 49 per cent of secondary-school teachers have self-censored on issues including sexuality and the Holocaust. This is a 13 per cent increase compared with a similar poll two years ago.

This is worrying news, but it comes as no surprise. The brutal and disgusting murder of Samuel Paty was a blatant attempt to crush dissent on religious issues. Many teachers are now terrified to speak out in case they become the next victims of this violent, totalitarian Islamism .”

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/01/0 ... o-silence/
Witness

Post by Witness »

Giz wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:12 pm The brutal and disgusting murder of Samuel Paty was a blatant attempt to crush dissent on religious issues. Many teachers are now terrified to speak out in case they become the next victims of this violent, totalitarian Islamism .”
19 Nivôse CCXXIX
From what I heard & read, it's not "now": there have always been problems, be it with (non halal or kosher) food at the cafeteria, school travel, sports (swimming notably), history courses (which are very France-centric there), biology (damned evolution)…

As for "terrified" I doubt it is generalized, but being a militant secularist can only bring you problems with pupils and parents – but no pay raise. And aggressive pop-Islam certainly compounds school problems in the derelict zones, being a convenient tool for sowing disorder.

I remind you of this post concerning the historical reasons and the utter failure of the successive French governments.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Paris agrees to turn Champs-Élysées into 'extraordinary garden'

Mayor Anne Hidalgo gives green light to £225m-scheme to transform French capital’s most famous avenue

The mayor of Paris has said a €250m (£225m) makeover of the Champs-Élysées will go ahead, though the ambitious transformation will not happen before the French capital hosts the 2024 Summer Olympics.

Anne Hidalgo said the planned work, unveiled in 2019 by local community leaders and businesses, would turn the 1.9 km (1.2 mile) stretch of central Paris into “an extraordinary garden”.

The Champs-Élysées committee has been campaigning for a major redesign of the avenue and its surroundings since 2018.

“The legendary avenue has lost its splendour during the last 30 years. It has been progressively abandoned by Parisians and has been hit by several successive crises: the gilets jaunes, strikes, health and economic,” the committee said in a statement welcoming Hidalgo’s announcement.

“It’s often called the world’s most beautiful avenue, but those of us who work here every day are not at all sure about that,” Jean-Noël Reinhardt, the committee president said in 2019.

“The Champs-Élysées has more and more visitors and big-name businesses battle to be on it, but to French people it’s looking worn out.”

The committee held a public consultation over what should be done with the avenue. The plans include reducing space for vehicles by half, turning roads into pedestrian and green areas, and creating tunnels of trees to improve air quality.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ne-hidalgo

From what I heard, once the shops close it's a good place to get mugged.