The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: The UK thread

Post by Witness » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:34 am

Anti-sex toilets will soak users with water jets and sound alarm

The new loos in the Welsh town of Porthcawl are also designed to prevent anti-social behaviour such as vandalism and drug taking.

A seaside town is planning to install public toilets that will stop sexual activity by spraying amorous occupants with water and sounding an alarm.

The new loos in the Welsh town of Porthcawl are also designed to prevent anti-social behaviour such as vandalism and drug taking.

The toilets will have weight-sensitive floors to make sure only one person is using each cubicle at a time.

Any violent movement will set off a water jet to soak users, sound an alarm and automatically open the doors.

The water jets will also be used to prevent smoking and drug-taking, and the walls and floors will be resistant to graffiti.

Planning documents for the facilities say rough sleepers will be deterred by a time limit on how long a person can use the cubicles for.

A time lock would also open and shut the toilets every morning and evening.
https://news.sky.com/story/anti-sex-toi ... m-11786941

Murphy's law rubbing its hands… :mrgreen:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Prediction: One false positive, and The Welsh town of Porthcawl will rival San Francisco in the matter of people shitting in the streets.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:17 am

Pension age should rise to 75, Tory think tank report says

Hundreds of thousands of people aged 50 to 64 are ‘economically inactive’, according to report

The state pension age should be raised to 75 within the next 16 years to help boost the UK economy, according to a Tory think tank.

In a new report, the Centre for Social Justice (CSJ) has proposed an increase of the pension age to 70 by 2028 and 75 by 2035.

The pension age is already set to increase to 67 by 2028 and to 68 by 2046 – but the organisation, co-founded by former Conservative leader and work and pensions secretary Iain Duncan-Smith, wants to see a faster increase.

The CSJ’s latest report said evidence suggested the UK was “not responding to the needs and potential” of an ageing workforce, with hundreds of thousands of people aged 50 to 64 seen as “economically inactive”.

It recommended helping older people “access the benefits of work” by giving support to them and employers, such as increased access to flexible working and training opportunities.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 64071.html

Well-chosen name. :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:28 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:14 pm
I'm a guy that likes a nice stinky cheese. Real parmesan is far stinkier.
Hmmm… Either you're pulling our collective leg(s), or "Only in Murica".

P. – S. Aren't ya all yet tired of the repetitive mom jokes? :roll:

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:44 am

I have to confess, the cheese in the UK is much better than in America. (I would say in France too... but in the UK you get good British and French cheese. In France you get good French cheese).

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:12 am

–J. "Rogue Cheddar" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:19 am

OK to get shitposty again? :)

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:47 am

China’s super-rich embark on British spending spree as pound nosedives
  • Chinese companies have made 15 big acquisitions in Britain so far this year, spending US$8.3 billion on everything from schools to skyscrapers
  • Recent deals include US$3.3 billion purchase of pub chain Greene King by Li Ka-shing, Hong Kong’s richest man

China’s president, Xi Jinping, and David Cameron famously sealed their countries’ “golden era” friendship in 2015 over a pint of Greene King IPA at the Plough at Cadsden, a five-minute drive from the then prime minister’s Chequers country residence.

They were clearly a nice couple of pints. A year later the Chinese investment firm SinoFortone bought the 16th-century pub for £2 million (US$2.54 million), and announced plans (which have not yet materialised) to build 100 replica pubs across China.

And, this week, the family of Hong Kong’s richest person, Li Ka-shing, bought out all of Greene King including 2,700 pubs, restaurants and hotels for £2.7 billion (US$3.3 billion).

Pubs are just a tiny part of a wave of cash flooding to Britain from China and Hong Kong, as the Chinese state and the region’s super-rich take advantage of the collapse in the value of pound to buy up everything from luxury homes, skyscrapers such as London’s Walkie Talkie and Cheesegrater, a third of Hinkley Point C nuclear power station, private schools and Pizza Express.
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/money-w ... pree-pound

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:10 pm

But have ever heard it in the original German? ;)

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:20 am

Made a mortal enemy:
'It's ruined': Queen Elizabeth complained that Trump's helicopter left 'scorch marks' on the lawn of Buckingham Palace
  • Queen Elizabeth II complained that President Donald Trump's helicopter left scorch marks on the lawn at Buckingham Palace in June, according to a new report in The Sunday Times.
  • Trump's presidential helicopter, Marine One, reportedly burned the grass upon landing at Buckingham Palace two times in the same day during his visit to the UK.
  • The Queen complained about the grass damage to another state leader, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison, a source close to Morrison told The Times.
  • The source said that Morrison "went straight to the palace to see the Queen, who led him out to the gardens and said: "Come and look at my lawn. It's ruined."
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-h ... ort-2019-8

:BigGrin3:

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:25 am

She grassed on Trump?

solely

Post by solely » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:51 am

That was just a warning, next time it'll be the Palace.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:08 am

Our lawns are much hardier.

Really, there's no reason Marine One should scorch the lawn. The turbo exhaust is at the top, pointing aft. It might leave three ruts on a very soggy day.

P.S. I've flown on this type of helo many times as it is (or was) basically the same type deployed on all navy carriers. It doesn't heat up anything below it other than the Air Boss.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:48 am

Does Marine One have a minigun?

That would be cool. Imagine Trump strafing Democrats running down Pennsylvania Avenue.

He'd like that.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:21 pm

When one's lawn is absolutely perfect due to regular rolling ever since 1066, the least little scuff might reasonably be termed a scorch.

The White House lawn is a recently cleared wilderness by comparison, m'deah.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:39 pm

ed wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:48 am
Does Marine One have a minigun?

That would be cool. Imagine Trump strafing Democrats running down Pennsylvania Avenue.

He'd like that.
The older ones are easy targets but you may have to lead the younger ones a little.

On a serious note: I can't find mention of any offensive weaponry but I feel certain it is highly ECM capable along with plenty of chaff and flare pods.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:17 pm

Twenty minute video, heavy on the maths.

But the reason I post it here is in the first 12 seconds. 8)

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:00 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:21 pm
When one's lawn is absolutely perfect due to regular rolling ever since 1066, the least little scuff might reasonably be termed a scorch.

The White House lawn is a recently cleared wilderness by comparison, m'deah.
Wanted to make roughly the same comment, but the term "rolling" escaped me – learned something. :)

Prehistoric plants reproduce in UK for first time in 60m years because of climate change

A prehistoric palm living on the Isle of Wight has produced male and female cones for the first time in 60 million years, botanists say.

The exotic palm – which dominated the planet 280 million years ago – is believed to be thriving on the cliffs of Ventnor Botanic Gardens because of climate change.

The garden is on average five degrees warmer than the rest of the mainland, making it the second warmest part of the UK after the Isles of Scilly.

“This presents us with an exciting opportunity to transfer pollen and generate seeds for the first time in the UK for 60 million years,” said Liz Walker from Ventnor Botanic Garden.

“This can be seen as further evidence from the plant kingdom of climate change in action. Certainly this sort of plant could formerly not be considered hardy in the UK; the recent heatwave has contributed to the individual cone growth,” said Ms Walker.
https://www.independent.co.uk/environme ... 77546.html

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:47 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:51 am

Lip-reading CCTV will have people 'cupping hands over their mouths' in street, warns surveillance watchdog

People will be left "cupping their hands over their mouths" in the street if new lip-reading CCTV is not reined in, the Government’s surveillance watchdog has warned.

Tony Porter, the Surveillance Camera Commissioner, said in future people would have to guard their conversations from prying cameras in the same manner as football managers on live TV, unless ministers act to regulate emerging intrusive technologies.

The commissioner, who has been in place since 2014, also warned that doing nothing could see Britain become a Big Brother-style state that went beyond anything envisioned by George Orwell in his dystopian novel 1984.

Among the new technologies Mr Porter expressed concern about were lip-syncing programs that can decipher what people are saying at distance as well as gait-analysis software, which can identify an individual just by the manner of their walk.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... hs-street/