The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: The UK thread

Post by Witness » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:35 am

Sir John Major joins court case to stop Parliament suspension

Sir John Major is joining forces with anti-Brexit campaigner Gina Miller to oppose the decision to suspend Parliament in the courts.

The Tory former PM believes the move by Boris Johnson is aimed at preventing MPs from opposing a no-deal Brexit.

He warned in July he would be prepared to seek a judicial review if the new PM attempted to suspend Parliament.

Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson and Labour deputy leader Tom Watson have also backed Ms Miller's campaign.

Ms Miller had already launched her own challenge, and Sir John said by joining her he would avoid "taking up the court's time".

The High Court will hold a preliminary hearing next Thursday and, if it agrees to it, a full hearing will take place the next day.

It is not possible to mount a legal challenge to the Queen's approval of the suspension - known as prorogation - which was confirmed on Wednesday.

But Sir John and Ms Miller believe they can legally challenge the advice the Queen's prime minister gives her.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49523055

Giz

Post by Giz » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:41 am

There is a worrying trend in the west.

Initially, the elite stop listening to the plebs
Then the elites bemoan the fact that they aren’t respected and that the plebs are tuning out
Then the plebs vote for trump/brexit because someone actually (pretends to?) listen
Then the elite pitch a fit and try to thwart the plebs however they can
Then the elite say that they are saving democracy

I’m not convinced that it is merely the plebs who are behaving fecklessly with our democracy

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:11 am

↑ Needs a strongman, so there's not "listening" silliness. (Nor voting, BTW.) The Queen should stage a coup. :P

Giz

Post by Giz » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:18 am

Well, a survey of 5000 brits did just show:

“People of every age group, ethnicity and social backgrounds say they would “rather live in a society that focuses on giving people more security” than one that “focuses on giving people more freedom”.
In total, 65% of respondents favoured security, compared to 35% who chose society based on freedom. “

“Younger voters are most authoritarian. Among 25-34 year olds, 36% support army rule; 66% favour strongman leaders; and 26% believe democracy is a bad way to run the country. “

https://www.ukonward.com/thepoliticsofbelonging/

:(

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:26 am

↑ We know (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47297&start=980#p967212), thanks to you. In fact I was alluding to that.

With democracy comes responsibility. :|

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:07 am

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:15 pm

More news of Prince Harry and the Duchess.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'are looking for a home in California celebrity enclave Malibu, where Kim Kardashian and Leonardo DiCaprio live, because the Duchess is 'homesick'
Dail Fail

Criticize if you will, but have you ever had to deal with a homesick duchess, Old Boy?

Details about how much it costs at link. :)

Comment seen elsewhere: She’s probably picking out her “keeper” house for after the split. :lmao:

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:47 pm

In pictures: A time capsule of Leeds' lost buildings

Breweries, racing pigeon shops, fisheries and chippies once littered the landscape of Leeds. Photographer Peter Mitchell went about photographing these "goners" before the bulldozers removed every trace of them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-48937831 for more pics.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:39 am

Postcard arrives at Grimsby home 29 years after it was originally sent

Tom Parker, of Church Lane, Bradley, received the mail at his home last week that had originally been sent to the address 29 years prior, and three years before he actually moved into his home.

The card was originally sent on August 28, 1990 from Brecon in North Wales, and was addressed to a Ms Clara Gale, who is understood to have lived in the house until 1990, before she was moved to a care home.

The postcard was sent to the woman by her niece Suzie and her partner Brian, while they were enjoying a holiday at a campsite in Wales.
https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news ... 29-3268895

:mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:26 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:31 am

:mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:21 pm

Welsh independence rally in Merthyr Tydfil draws thousands

Organisers All Under One Banner Cymru estimated 5,300 people attended the rally and said the situation in Westminster meant Wales needed to make "its voice heard".

The Welsh Government said: "We support a strong devolution settlement for Wales within a strong United Kingdom."

It is the third march, following demonstrations in Cardiff and Caernarfon earlier this year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-49619554

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:08 am

Thousands in UK born as result of ‘extreme inbreeding’, study suggests

Thousands of people in the UK are likely to be the result of “extreme inbreeding” between close relatives, a study has suggested.

An analysis of DNA stored in the UK Biobank, which stores hundreds of thousands of volunteers’ genetic material, found a fraction of those sequenced were conceived by parents who are either first or second-degree relatives.

A first-degree relative is someone who shares 50 per cent of a person’s genes, so a parent or child, while second-degree relatives are those who share 25 per cent of the same DNA, including uncles, grandparents and half-siblings.

Of a total of more than 450,000 participants, researchers from the University of Queensland found 125 whose genes suggested they were the offspring of extreme inbreeding.

The volunteers were all individuals of European descent born between 1938 and 1967.

Extrapolating the sample data across England and Wales results in an estimate of 13,200 people born to inbreeding, but the study’s authors warned the figure could be even higher.

“The extent to which our estimate reflects the true prevalence of [extreme inbreeding] in the entire UK population is a difficult question,” the researchers said in a statement to the Daily Mail.

“The UK Biobank is known to have over-representation from healthy and highly educated individuals, which likely biases our estimates.

“Highly inbred individuals who suffer severe health consequences may be less likely to participate in a study such as the UK Biobank.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scie ... 91561.html

"Extreme inbreeding", uh? :mrgreen:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Historical question: Did Britannia really rule the waves, or was it ... :mrgreen:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Witness wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:08 am
Thousands in UK born as result of ‘extreme inbreeding’, study suggests

Thousands of people in the UK are likely to be the result of “extreme inbreeding” between close relatives, a study has suggested.

An analysis of DNA stored in the UK Biobank, which stores hundreds of thousands of volunteers’ genetic material, found a fraction of those sequenced were conceived by parents who are either first or second-degree relatives.

A first-degree relative is someone who shares 50 per cent of a person’s genes, so a parent or child, while second-degree relatives are those who share 25 per cent of the same DNA, including uncles, grandparents and half-siblings.

Of a total of more than 450,000 participants, researchers from the University of Queensland found 125 whose genes suggested they were the offspring of extreme inbreeding.

The volunteers were all individuals of European descent born between 1938 and 1967.

Extrapolating the sample data across England and Wales results in an estimate of 13,200 people born to inbreeding, but the study’s authors warned the figure could be even higher.

“The extent to which our estimate reflects the true prevalence of [extreme inbreeding] in the entire UK population is a difficult question,” the researchers said in a statement to the Daily Mail.

“The UK Biobank is known to have over-representation from healthy and highly educated individuals, which likely biases our estimates.

“Highly inbred individuals who suffer severe health consequences may be less likely to participate in a study such as the UK Biobank.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scie ... 91561.html

"Extreme inbreeding", uh? :mrgreen:
125 out of 450,000 doesn't seem like very many. That's one in 3,600. I'm also wondering what they mean by "their genes suggested". Are false positives possible? True, however, that one in 3,600 would mean thousands in a country of 60 million.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:27 pm

Google bans family cafe for “offensive content” for posting photo of British dish, faggots and peas
https://reclaimthenet.org/google-bans-f ... gots-peas/

What the title says. :mrgreen:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:11 am

In case anyone else was wondering:
Faggots is a traditional British dish and has long been popular in the Midlands of England as well as the Mid and South Wales. It’s made from minced off-cuts and offal and is often served with gravy and peas.
I've never partaken of that myself. I try to avoid anything with "offal" in it.

Ultimately it's not much of a news story. It's just a dumb algorithm that couldn't parse the context correctly.
Evans-Pring said that she was “absolutely startled by what's happened” and claims “the world's gone totally mad if people are getting worked up over that”.
. . .
“We're just asking – what's the world coming to?”
Ah, the age-old question: What is the world coming to?
I see no evidence that any "people" were "getting worked up" about it though.
Contact Google, explain the situation.
William Shakespeare

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:57 am

Faggots were a staple when I was a nipper up int' Grim North, kinda like an English haggis. They're not as bad as they sound; quite tasty really. I can't say I've seen them for sale locally for a while but I haven't been looking.

Seems an odd word to have homosexual connotations.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:50 am

asthmatic camel wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:57 am
Faggots were a staple when I was a nipper up int' Grim North, kinda like an English haggis. They're not as bad as they sound; quite tasty really. I can't say I've seen them for sale locally for a while but I haven't been looking.

Seems an odd word to have homosexual connotations.
Then again, I suppose that what we Americans call "hot dogs" probably contain offal too. (I'm just guessing here). I try not to think about it though. :mrgreen:
William Shakespeare

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:13 pm

From the Wiki entry, and just for you... :D
Etymology

The term dog has been used as a synonym for sausage since the 1800s, possibly from accusations that sausage makers used dog meat in their sausages.[20] In the early 20th century, consumption of dog meat in Germany was common.[21][22] The suspicion that sausages contained dog meat was "occasionally justified".
General description
Grilled hot dogs
Ingredients

Common hot dog sausage ingredients include:

Meat trimmings and fat, e.g. mechanically separated meat, pink slime, meat slurry
Flavorings, such as salt, garlic, and paprika
Preservatives (cure) – typically sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite

Pork and beef are the traditional meats used in hot dogs. Less expensive hot dogs are often made from chicken or turkey, using low-cost mechanically separated poultry. Typical hot dogs contain sodium, saturated fat and nitrite, which when consumed in excess have been linked to health problems. Changes in meat technology and dietary preferences have led manufacturers to use turkey, chicken, vegetarian meat substitutes, and to lower the salt content.
:weirdeyes:
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.