The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Giz

Re: The UK thread

Post by Giz » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:18 pm

he must consider himself a rake

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:54 am

Former Brexit Party candidate for Yorkshire seat says she comes from far-flung star and aliens are 'working with world Governments'

Jill Hughes was the Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for the Brexit Party in the West Yorkshire constituency.

But when The Yorkshire Post contacted the Brexit Party today, a spokesman said Ms Hughes had stood down and the party would announce her replacement in due course.

However Ms Hughes was posting supportive Brexit Party messages on both Twitter and Facebook today, and a photo posted showed her at a Brexit Party meeting on Wednesday.

Ms Hughes’ unusual outlook came to light as campaign group Hope Not Hate looked into Brexit Party candidates’ backgrounds.

They questioned her employment history but also quoted from social media postings and her book, released last year, Spirit of Prophecy.

In the book it reads “the E.T’s, some of them less than Apple Pie wholesome or Positive pumpkins, are already here working with our world Governments, but that’s all hush-hush for now”.

And in information about the author listed on Amazon, it said: “To this day J.J.Hughes believes in elves/fairies/mermaids/unicorns and all things Elemental and Other Worldly…She has had numerous prophetic premonitions – usually about death, which so far despite a few close shaves she has escaped. She came to believe in reincarnation in her mid-twenties when her old horse Red made a re-appearance, this time as a palomino called Hooray Henry.”

In one post on website The Soul Matrix from 2017 Ms Hughes said: “I have just come to truly realise that my purpose is to raise consciousness here on earth - I originated from Sirius.”
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/po ... 1-10081127

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:38 am

Government review into £100k grant given to Jennifer Arcuri finds it was fair pay for shagging Boris Johnson

To the surprise of absolutely no one, a panel of civil servants whose job is to obey their political masters have decided to exonerate of all wrongdoing an extremely ruthless and powerful man who could easily sink their career.

Simon Williams, head of the Governmental Internal Audit Agency, explained that his team all agreed there was nothing suspicious about a company registered in the US getting UK government grants while their owner was boffing a completely honest chap who just happens to be their boss.

“We are satisfied that the Department of Culture Media and Sport did all the due diligence that you could expect.

“Even though it took one phone call from journalists to discover Hacker House was about as British as a grizzly bear wearing a Stetson. We can also conclusively dismiss suggestions that the money was thrown away to help a political A-lister impress the latest floozy he was using to cheat on his cancer-ridden wife.”

Mr Williams explained that his agency was adamant the funds dispersed to Ms Arcuri had delivered a clear benefit to the people of London.

He went on, “If recent events have proven anything it’s that Boris Johnson can be incredibly disruptive if not given something to do. Who knows how many more ridiculous projects like the Garden Bridge would have come to pass had she not bravely allowed Boris to do the horizontal truffle-shuffle with her?

“As for the sums involved, just how much would you need to get paid to stare into Boris Johnson’s O-face? As far as we’re concerned, she earned every last penny of that £100k.”
https://newsthump.com/2019/11/01/govern ... s-johnson/

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:20 pm

The NHS just found a great way to save money.

UK: National Health Service to Deny Treatment for ‘Racist or Sexist Language, Gestures, Behaviour’
Breitbart

The policy would cover not just “Threatening and offensive language” but also “Racist or sexist language, gestures or behaviour” more generally, as well as “malicious allegations” — a rather troubling caveat, given the NHS has in the past been entangled in large-scale malpractice scandals which hospitals and staff have initially denied.

Best argument against "medicare for all" ever!
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:14 pm

From the nhs announcement:

“ This means that any patient abusing staff will be challenged and warned, leading to a sports-style disciplinary yellow card and then final red card in which treatment would be withdrawn as soon as is safe.”

Presumably the “as soon as is safe” is probably equivalent to “when we were going to discharge you anyway”. Except now it’s a dishonorable discharge.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:20 pm

And the next time after that when you need something?

This seems mighty similar to Chinese social credit.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:52 pm

In other news:
State pension age 'should be raised to 75 by 2035' - Iain Duncan-Smith led think-tank

The state pension age should rise to 70 by 2028 and to 75 by 2035 to help boost the UK economy, according to a new report.

The Centre for Social Justice (CSJ) think-tank, headed by Tory former leader Iain Duncan-Smith, said evidence suggests the UK is "not responding to the needs and potential" of an ageing workforce - with hundreds of thousands of people aged 50-64 deemed "economically inactive".

Its latest publication recommends helping older people "access the benefits of work" by providing support to them and employers, such as increased access to flexible working and training opportunities.

The report added if such support is implemented, it proposes an increase in the state pension age (SPA).

The SPA is set to increase to 67 by 2028 and to 68 between 2044 and 2046, although in 2017 the Government announced plans to increase it to 68 between 2037 and 2039.

The CSJ wants faster increases to the pension age, adding the cost of benefits would be reduced by employing more older people while it would boost the UK's gross domestic product (GDP).
https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... -1-4986279

For their own good. :twisted:

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:39 am

"Bigger and better 'Tent Cities' for all! And don't bother jumping: We've installed safety nets, just not the kind that actually works."
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:49 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:57 am

"A load-bearing cell phone."

Indeed.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:58 am

sparks wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:39 am
"Bigger and better 'Tent Cities' for all! And don't bother jumping: We've installed safety nets, just not the kind that actually works."
Isn't AC in that age slice who will see retirement always a step away, receding forever? :twisted:

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:16 am

Not entirely, Witness. Well, not unless Donald Trump completely fucks up the world's economy with his endless trade wars.

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

sparks

Post by sparks » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:32 am

Isn't AC in that age slice who will see retirement always a step away, receding forever? :twisted:
Me too. And it really pisses me off something fierce.

I've been working and earning a wage on the books since I was fucking 16 and I'm gonna see shit out of this mess of economic pus. :x

Not that the fucking Government owes me anything, but the reverse is also true: I shouldn't owe them anything either goddamnit.

Oh. And Fuck.

Fuck. Fucking fuckitty fuckscarella fuck.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:16 pm

Well, back in the day when I was planning my finances with a view to a modestly comfortable old age, I'd have received the state pension, (now £180 per week), at 65 and Mrs. Camel at 60. Now, we've both got to wait until 67. And the fucking government does owe us something. On top of income tax at 20%, we've both payed an additional 12% "National Insurance", supposedly to pay for health care, pensions, etc. and a small fortune in vehicle excise duty, tobacco duty, alcohol duty, airport tax, insurance tax, £1,3000 a year in local taxation and 20% VAT on everything we buy other than books, food, childrens' clothes and a reduced rate of 5% VAT on household fuel. Plus additional excise duty on petrol/gasoline which accounts for most of the purchase price. It never ends.

Like sparks, I started work at sixteen but, fortunately, went into finance and, by using the expertise learned, as well as paying yet more to gain a business studies qualification at night school, while also working a part-time bar job in order to buy a house, I've just about managed to turn a small nest egg into enough to ensure we won't starve or lose our home should things go tits-up.

Oh. And Fuck.

Fuck. Fucking fuckitty fuckscarella fuck.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:27 pm

20% VAT on everything we buy other than books, food, childrens' clothes ...
I just thought of a great business to get into if I were in the UK.

Extra extra large childrens' clothes. :)

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:47 pm

Abdul, very small people already get away with doing that.

Sadly, I'm 6'2" and Mrs. Camel isn't much smaller at 5'10".

I doubt that either of us would escape with trying on clothes at Mothercare, which has just gone bust.

:D

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:58 pm

Did they have Abbot and Costello in the UK?

You could dress like Stinky. :)
OK I admit it. This is what I was leading up to.

Joe Besser, BTW. Better known as the supernumerary stooge.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:24 pm

Abbot & Costello were regularly featured on BBC One during school holiday periods when I was a nipper, Abdul. (If memory serves, we only had BBC One back then, with BBC Two introduced a little later.) My little, (now very large), brother loved them but I did not. Perhaps one of my earliest memories is having a toy building brick fight with him as a result and he bears a scar on his forehead to this day.

:)

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:52 am

I've got a scar on my hand that my older sister gave me as a baby - she pushed the pointy end of a hot clothes iron into my palm. She also threw me down the stairs. I don't remember either incident as I was too young, but my sister and mother enjoyed telling me the tale when I was older - the way that families do. My sister was angry with me because my mother made her give away her marble collection, "because the baby might swallow them." Worse, she had to give them to her rival in marble collecting - my cousin Paul who lived next door.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:05 am

From the Daily Fail:
Amy Robach is caught on hot mic telling how ABC refused to air her expose on Jeffrey Epstein's sex slave and allegations against Bill Clinton and Prince Andrew over fears royals would stop granting network interviews
  • Amy Robach was caught on hot mic saying that she filmed an interview with Jeffrey Epstein's sex slave Virginia Roberts in 2015 that ABC did not air
  • 'I was told “Who’s Jeffrey Epstein. No one knows who that is. This is a stupid story,"' says Robach at one point
  • She claims that the palace threatened to sue ABC over allegations made about Prince Andrew and that ABC feared Will and Katie might decline interviews
  • 'It was unbelievable what we had. [Bill] Clinton. We had everything. I tried for three years to get it on to no avail,' says Robach
  • Two months before the hot mic video, ABC News president James Goldston dined with Prince Charles and President Trump in London during the state visit
  • 'I was upset that an interview I had conducted with Virginia Roberts didn’t air because we could not obtain sufficient corroborating evidence,' said Robach
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -Kate.html