The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
solely

Re: The UK thread

Post by solely » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:28 am

ceptimus wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:52 am
I've got a scar on my hand that my older sister gave me as a baby - she pushed the pointy end of a hot clothes iron into my palm. She also threw me down the stairs. I don't remember either incident as I was too young, but my sister and mother enjoyed telling me the tale when I was older - the way that families do. My sister was angry with me because my mother made her give away her marble collection, "because the baby might swallow them." Worse, she had to give them to her rival in marble collecting - my cousin Paul who lived next door.

I don't want you to not love your mother and sister but you may want to keep a sharp eye on them.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:29 pm

ceptimus wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:52 am
I've got a scar on my hand that my older sister gave me as a baby - she pushed the pointy end of a hot clothes iron into my palm. She also threw me down the stairs. I don't remember either incident as I was too young, but my sister and mother enjoyed telling me the tale when I was older - the way that families do. My sister was angry with me because my mother made her give away her marble collection, "because the baby might swallow them." Worse, she had to give them to her rival in marble collecting - my cousin Paul who lived next door.
Yikes!

My not-so-little brother got his revenge. Knowing that I'm an extreme claustrophobic, he and his school friends stuffed me in a sleeping bag and jumped on me repeatedly, making me scream in terror and cracking my sternum in the process.

Nearly fifty years later, it still hurts.

:)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:54 pm

Cuts, as it's a bit long:
Wave of scandal: The Tory party is becoming a sewer

As far as elections go, the Tories are not having the best of starts. They're launching their formal campaign today, while being buffeted by multiple scandals.
"The tragedy of the modern Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn is that they detest the profit motive so viscerally... they point their fingers at individuals with a relish and a vindictiveness not seen since Stalin persecuted the kulaks," Boris Johnson wrote for the launch of his campaign. He delivered it, in that incredibly weird semi-privatised way he has, to the Telegraph, his former employer.
Jacob Rees-Mogg claimed people with "common sense" would not have followed official instructions to stay in their home during the Grenfell fire. He looked at LBC presenter Nick Ferrari and noted: "I think if either of us were in a fire, whatever the fire brigade said, we would leave the burning building." In other words: People like us wouldn't be so stupid. Only the poor are that stupid.
The shadow Brexit secretary had a rough time on Good Morning Britain yesterday, trying to explain Labour's Brexit policy. The Conservatives then put out a video in which the final answer had been changed. In reality, he had been asked a question and answered it immediately. In the edited video, the answer had been replaced by a clip of Starmer sitting in baffled silence.
And even this doesn't cover what the party has been up to in the last 24 hours. There's also Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns, who is facing calls to resign after his aide collpased a trial by making claims of a rape victim's sexual history. There's chancellor Sajid Javid, raging away because the civil service is refusing to be co-opted into the Conservative party's election operation by publishing a cost analysis of Labour's spending plans. And there's the extraordinary sight of the prime minister stopping publication of an intelligence and security committee report on Russian interference in British democracy right before an election.
Yesterday, a series of departing MPs made their valedictory speeches in the Commons. One after another, moderate Tories rose to announce their retirement. Many had already gone - either purged in the no-deal battle, or drifting off to support the Liberal Democrats. The rest simply don't want a part of it anymore.

One of them, David Lidington, made a last minute appeal to those who would come after him. "I hope the next parliament will make a deliberate effort to avoid the language of traitors, of betrayal, of vermin, of enemies of the people," he asked.
This is just the start. The campaign will get worse from here.
https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/1 ... ng-a-sewer

:BigGrin3:

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:08 pm

And the tragedy is... Corbyn is still worse (whether assessed morally or practically)

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:37 am

Harry Dunn: 'Informal' talks begin over possible extradition of Anne Sacoolas

Suspect in teenager’s death has been in US since leaving UK under diplomatic immunity

British and American officials have begun talks to explore the possible extradition of the suspect in the death of Harry Dunn, the Guardian has learned.

The suspect, Anne Sacoolas, went to the US while under investigation after a car she was driving struck a motorcycle ridden by the 19-year-old outside RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire in August.

British police travelled to the US last week and interviewed Sacoolas.

The final part of the evidence detectives from Northamptonshire police were compiling was the transcripts of the interview with Sacoolas.

They have now submitted evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), which is expected soon to make a decision about charging the suspect.

One charge under consideration is death by dangerous driving and Dunn’s family want Sacoolas to face justice.

The discussions about extradition so far have been informal, a source said, and exploratory.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... e-sacoolas

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:51 am

A comment:
Did the BBC deliberately use the wrong footage of Johnson?

PRIME MINISTER Boris Johnson made several minor gaffes during yesterday’s Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph in Whitehall, such as stepping out of line too early, looking somewhat hungover and laying his poppy wreath upside down.

Instead of using yesterday’s footage as part of BBC Breakfast’s news bulletin, the show pulled from its archive a clip of Johnson from 2016 — in which the PM looked younger, slightly pudgier, better dressed and laying down a much bigger green floral wreath the right way up.
https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article ... ge-johnson