The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: The UK thread

Post by Anaxagoras »

The best nation is urination.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Brexit is in place, Scotland isn't going to secede any time soon, the inner Irish border is a more peaceful border than US/Mexico (let alone a real hostile border).

So the beat goes on and back to normal peacetime UK problems.

Uber driver, 28, plotted to drive his car into 'evil' Gay Pride parade to kill non-Muslims, court hears
Daily Fail
  • Mohiussunnath Chowdhury, 28, also singled out Madam Tussauds as a target
  • Was part of his plan to 'unleash death and suffering on non-Muslims, court heard
  • He is now standing trial for engaging in the preparation of acts of terrorism
An Uber driver described as a 'pathetic little man' by his own barrister planned to drive a van into an 'evil' Gay Pride parade to kill non-Muslims, a court has heard.

Mohiussunnath Chowdhury, 28, also singled out Madam Tussauds and a double decker tourist bus as targets, Woolwich Crown Court heard.

It was part of his plan to 'unleash death and suffering on non-Muslim members of the public,' it is claimed.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Back to normal? OK.
Pretty Little Thing: 'Overly sexualised' advert banned

An advert for fashion retailer Pretty Little Thing which featured women wearing exposing lingerie has been banned for being "offensive".

[blah…]

A viewer complained and the regulator agreed, saying the ad was "irresponsible" and likely to cause offence.

[more blah…]

It also seems that there's also a growing generational divide. While talking to young people, who these adverts are targeted at, it seemed they were more likely to see them as positive images of women being body-confident whatever their shape. Many in older generations view the same images very differently.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51370851

They have a YT channel, if you want to gauge the offensiveness. :P
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

It's the UK.

Between the feminists and the Muslims they will be apt to have stricter standards that some California outfit like YouTube.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Not so sure about the feminists; if you clicked the article or watched on YT, the company caters to all types of women (as long as they are beautiful, of course… :mrgreen: ).

It could also be grumpy old farts, emboldened by what they perceive as a return to True British Values™ in the Brexit context.

From a more (* cough *) philosophical point of view, is an ad suggesting sexual content more "obscene" than an ad extolling the machismo of some new car or a church begging for monies?
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Witness wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:21 pm It could also be grumpy old farts, emboldened by what they perceive as a return to True British Values™ in the Brexit context.
Rum, sodomy and the lash? Not relevant I think. :P

Witness

Post by Witness »

:HoppingMad: That's not what I meant! :HoppingMad2:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Pubs in decline (apart from the High North :) ):

Interactive map: https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/d ... index.html
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Clicked on link, zoomed on Manchester.

Minus 14% :o

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:51 pm
Harry Dunn death: US says extradition request 'highly inappropriate'
https://news.sky.com/story/anne-sacoola ... h-11905753
Fugitive American wife Anne Sacoolas who is wanted over the death of Harry Dunn was a CIA spy and 'held a higher rank than her husband'
  • Anne Sacoolas crashed into Harry Dunn's motorbike outside RAF Croughton
  • British Ministers and officials are aware of Mrs Sacoolas’s career in espionage
  • US government sources said Mrs Sacoolas was ‘not active’ while in the UK
  • However, a security source told the Mail: ‘You never really leave the CIA'
  • Harry’s mother Charlotte Charles said things are 'beginning to fall into place’
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... A-spy.html
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I wonder if things would be the same if it were the other way around.

The brother of my brother's best friend died in a similar motorcycle accident. A hit and run. They never found out who did it. It happened on a back country road far from any cameras.

Diplomatic immunity seems to be a sort of get out of jail free card.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Giz

Post by Giz »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:33 am
Diplomatic immunity seems to be a sort of get out of jail free card.
It can cover a lot.

No one got prosecuted for this (they were all just expelled):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_ ... e_Fletcher
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:11 pm Clicked on link, zoomed on Manchester.

Minus 14% :o
It's twenty years since I got out of the pub game and I'm glad I did!
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

You might be amused that Former Speaker Berclow . . . Bearclaw . . . That Guy is bitching about a conspiracy to prevent him from becoming a lord like all the other ex-speakers who were not executed and/or raped by Henry VIII.

Now, I "liked" watching him, but I believe you voiced negative opinions and his reputation for being a temper-tantrum throwing bully is rather extensive. This includes a former Black Rod who is a retired Lt. General.

I enjoyed watching the New Guy for sometime as he served as Deputy Speaker. Seems to be doing well.

Which probably means he will be found with a dead girl and a live boy soon. . . .

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Meanwhile . . . in the Dementia Unit Lords:

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:51 pm
Harry Dunn death: US says extradition request 'highly inappropriate'
https://news.sky.com/story/anne-sacoola ... h-11905753
The relations seem to cool down:
Boris Johnson threatens to rip up 'unbalanced' extradition treaty with the US after Trump refuses to extradite a diplomat's wife accused of killing a British teenager
  • UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson attacks the country's "unbalanced" extradition arrangements with the US after the Trump administration refused to extradite the wife of a US diplomat who is accused of being involved in a car crash with a British teenager last year.
  • Johnson told the UK Parliament on Wednesday that: "I do think there are elements of that relationship that are imbalanced and I certainly think that it is worth looking at."
  • Diplomatic relations between Donald Trump and Boris Johnson have significantly cooled in recent weeks, with the president reportedly slamming down the phone on the prime minister after he defied US requests to ban Huawei from developing the country's 5G network.
https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-j ... unn-2020-2
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:52 pm Meanwhile . . . in the Dementia Unit Lords:

– J.D.
"Squirrel is commonly eaten in the rural South, in the U.S., particularly in (no stereotypes puhleeze) central/north Florida, Georgia, and Alabama . Since they're both nuisance critters, and easily killed without damaging the meat by either a hunting pellet/air gun, or if you prefer instant mince and scraping bits of carrion off trees with a trowel, a shotgun."

Ok. One bit of that isnt real, but glass houses and all that...

The real reveal here is that Lord Dave is advocating squirrel as a viable alternative without partaking himself - meaning he thinks that the great unwashed should gorge themselves on them whilst cleaning squirrel shit off his stout leather brogues, then thank him for it.

Probably a healthier alternative to chicken nuggets, mind, so you can count the Welsh out.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

I have been informed we have a N00B and not just a hit and run one shot either.

Time for the official welcome. 8)

Carry on. :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Police compared to Stasi and Gestapo by judge as he rules they interfered in freedom of speech by investigating 'non crime' trans tweet

Judge says that the effect of police turning up at Mr Miller's workplace "because of his political opinions must not be underestimated".

Humberside Police unlawfully interfered with a man's right to freedom of expression by turning up at his place of work over his allegedly "transphobic" tweets, the High Court has ruled.

Former police officer Harry Miller, 54, who founded the campaign group Fair Cop, said the police's actions had a "substantial chilling effect" on his right to free speech.

Mr Miller, who is from Lincolnshire, claims an officer told him that he had not committed a crime, but that his tweeting was being recorded as a "hate incident".

The College of Policing's guidance defines a hate incident as "any non-crime incident which is perceived, by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by a hostility or prejudice against a person who is transgender or perceived to be transgender".

In a ruling on Friday, the High Court in London found Humberside Police's actions were a "disproportionate interference" with Mr Miller's right to freedom of expression.

But Mr Justice Julian Knowles rejected a wider challenge to the lawfulness of the College of Police guidance, ruling that it "serves legitimate purposes and is not disproportionate".
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... d-freedom/
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:01 am I have been informed we have a N00B and not just a hit and run one shot either.

Time for the official welcome. 8)

Carry on. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the welcome. I've been poking around for a few years under the username "guest", and some of you might recognise my presence from several of the sports threads. Cryptic huh? Those "in the know" will know.

Just decided to throw my hat in the ring, so to speak.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2: