The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: The UK thread

Post by Witness »

You made me laugh.
Hotarubi wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:24 am
It's not very well written.
Welcome to the present.

Hotarubi wrote:
Still, my post was vaguely relevant.
:figamagee:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Hotarubi wrote:
Witness wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:49 am
↑ I understand it as "with that extra cash a total of 196,000…" Ambiguous wording.
Hmm. Rereading, it can be interpreted both ways. It's not very well written.

Still, my post was vaguely relevant.
Agreed. And why did they use the dollar sign instead of the pound symbol? Was it $1 billion each year or $2 billion each year?
In 2017 and 2018, the government allocated the armed forces an extra $2 billion, combined

The word "combined" suggests a total of $2 billion, or $1 billion per year. The extra money was probably for unplanned contingencies, not to hire additional personnel.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

"In July, I made a statement setting out headline conclusions from six months of work on the Modernising Defence Programme (MDP). Since then, work has continued apace. Firstly, I would like to welcome the extra £1.8 billion of funding for Defence, including the additional £1 billion that was in last month’s Budget."

~ December 2018

2.8 Billion.

I think we can ignore this fool, David *Axe.*. Writes war graphic novels.

Now I understand.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Huge moth that went 'extinct' 50 years ago is back in Britain

‘The Clifden nonpareil is a fantastic addition to our wildlife and it is great to know it is resident again in the UK’

A striking blue moth that was thought to have gone extinct in Britain 50 years ago has now recolonised and is breeding, conservationists have revealed.

The Clifden nonpareil – whose name means “beyond compare” – is one of the largest and most spectacular moths native to the UK.

It has a wingspan that can reach almost 12cm and a bright blue stripe across its black hindwings, which gives rise to an alternative name of the blue underwing.

These moths have always been rare in the UK.

Historically they were established in Orlestone forest in Kent during the 1930s before declining significantly after 1956. There was also a colony established in Norfolk but there is little information on it.

Mark Tunmore, editor of Atropos journal told The Independent: “We’re not completely clear as why it declined after 1956. It may have been climatic or it may have been due to woodland management. Those are probably the main factors, but at the time there wasn’t the same knowledge and scientific research.

“After it disappeared in the 60s it went back to being a very rare migrant and certainly it was not spotted every year. Since 2000 it’s been turning up in increasing numbers,” said Mr Tunmore who says it might be getting less picky about its habitat choice.

It has long been regarded as a holy grail among moth enthusiasts and there have been numerous sightings across the south of England and Wales this year. That suggests they are now colonising Britain, as opposed to just being a migrant.
https://www.independent.co.uk/environme ... 21226.html

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Now that the dalek threat has been nullified, are the bees coming back yet?

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:49 pm
Dubai ruler trying to keep two judgments secret, UK court hears
Dubai's Sheikh Mohammed abducted daughters and threatened wife - UK court

[Another man who oozes happiness.]

Abduction, forced return, torture and a campaign of intimidation. On Thursday the damning allegations made against the billionaire ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al-Maktoum, by his former wife, Princess Haya Bint Al-Hussain, became established fact, published in a series of judgements by the High Court in London.

Following a high-profile case that began eight months ago, the court has published a Fact Finding Judgement (FFJ) in favour of Princess Haya who fled Dubai last year, along with her two children, telling friends she was in fear of her life.

Sheikh Mohammed had tried, unsuccessfully, to keep the judgement out of the public domain but his appeal was rejected after the case was ruled to be in the public interest. The ruler of Dubai was found to have "not been open and honest with the court".

In a statement issued after the judgements were published, Sheikh Mohammed said: "As a head of government, I was not able to participate in the court's fact-finding process. This has resulted in the release of a 'fact-finding' judgment which inevitably only tells one side of the story."

He insisted the case was a private matter. "I ask that the media respect the privacy of our children and do not intrude into their lives in the UK," he said.

After hearing extensive witness statements over a period of time, the court found Sheikh Mohammed to have been responsible for the abduction and forced return of two of his daughters from another marriage.
  • Sheikha Shamsa fled the family's UK estate in Surrey in 2000 but was later abducted in Cambridgeshire by agents of the sheikh and forcibly returned to Dubai where she remains in captivity. A request by Cambridgeshire Police to visit Dubai to investigate her abduction was refused.
  • Sheikha Latifa made two unsuccessful attempts to flee her father's family, in 2002 and 2018. After the first she was imprisoned by her father in Dubai for over three years. In the second attempt she was abducted at sea off the Indian coast and forcibly returned to Dubai, where she remains under house arrest. The judge found her allegations of serious physical abuse amounting to torture, made by Latifa in a public video, to be credible.
The judge found that Sheikh Mohammed "continues to maintain a regime whereby both these two young women are deprived of their liberty".
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51756984

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Sheikh Ali-l'azz has always been an obnoxious turd.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

Do the ever-impressive speedy nature of British Justice, this has only taken twenty years to come to public attention. There is now some slight prospect of the situation being resolved before everyone involved is dead - providing they all live to an advanced age.

Meanwhile, other things that should have been resolved by now, such as punishing those responsible for the Grenfell Tower Fire, haven't even begun.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Daily Mail sales soar as coronavirus panic buying wipes out toilet roll stock

Sales of the Daily Mail are soaring – but not because of any new-found fondness for its journalism.

Instead, British shoppers are snapping up the rag because toilet roll is running out in the shops.

Panic buying over the coronavirus is leading to bog roll shortages – but enterprising Brits know the Daily Mail is the ideal replacement.

Shopper Lorraine Fisher, 34, said: “My usual brand of soft, strong and very long lavatory paper has been cleared off the shelves by overly-worried shoppers.

“But like many others, I instead purchased a copy of the Daily Mail, which is good for nothing except wiping your arse.”

Daily Mail executives were delighted with the unexpected sales rise after suffering for years with their circulation going down the toilet.

Circulation boss Alex Howard said: “The coronavirus has been great for business.

“We’ll wipe the floor at the British Newspaper Sales Awards now.”
https://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/dai ... ronavirus/

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

What's the deal with stocking up on toilet paper? Is it imported from China to the UK or something?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Basically, UK Govt. has recommended to the masses a 2 week self-isolation if coming into contact with someone with the corona virus. Or even working with someone who has it. So there's fuck all on the shelves and dumb people are fighting in the aisles because the cheap cider has run out. Still, they're being forced to buy craft beers so they can tell their friends in six months that they are middle class. No one is buying Corona.

Mana to supermarkets and pharma. And small breweries.

One of those is a good thing.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Honestly, I was in the ASDA on Friday night getting the weekly shop and a couple of indulgent Hobgoblins (still stocked) and the toilet paper aisle was empty.

Over the store intercom came the announcement "WE HAVE KITCHEN ROLL!" like some authoratitive announcement of the four minute warning - when you hear the kitchen roll warning, you and your family must take cover- and, I kid you not, it was like the Oklahoma land run.

To get to the flappy plastic door thing that lead to the warehouse where they wheel out stock, Kids were being mown down, there was an impromptu trolley demolition derby and old ladies were scratching the eyes out of the disabled to gain two yards advantage.

I got out of the way. Truly miserable spectacle.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Which is why you got no kitchen roll.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

I've NOT been shopping at all for the last week - though I normally would have done. I figure I'll let all the morons have their panic shopping blowout and then go shopping once they've all exhausted themselves, or their funds, and the supermarkets have had chance to restock.

Just how much pasta, tins of baked beans, long-life milk, and bog roll do these cretins want? And why the bog roll fixation anyway? Running out of toilet paper is hardly the end of the world - I won't go into details though in case people are eating while reading the thread: use your imaginations.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:33 am
Which is why you got no kitchen roll.

– J.D.
I have people who take care of such matters.

ed
Title: Not gay

Post by ed »

I have friends who are going to the UK for vaca this week. Is that a good idea?

I am hunkering down.
About that stereo

Giz

Post by Giz »

ed wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:22 pm

I am hunkering down.
Get them to smuggle in toilet paper- make a fortune in the black market

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

ed wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:22 pm

I am hunkering down.
As long as they avoid anywhere north of Watford and West of Newbury they will avoid coming into contact with afflicted people.

ed
Title: Not gay

Post by ed »

What does that leave? What is "Watford"? And Newbury???? is that a place?
About that stereo

Witness

Post by Witness »

Wartime Golf Rules

As the Battle of Britain began to take hold in 1940, a bomb fell on an outbuilding belonging to Richmond Golf Club in Surrey, England. As a result, the club — rather than halt future rounds of golf — issued an incredible list of temporary golf rules to all members that took into account the potentially life-threatening conditions on the course.

The list read as follows.
  • Players are asked to collect Bomb and Shrapnel splinters to save these causing damage to the mowing machines.
  • In competitions, during gunfire, or while bombs are falling, players may take cover without penalty for ceasing play.
  • The positions of known delayed-action bombs are marked by red flags placed at reasonably, but not guaranteed safe distance therefrom.
  • Shrapnel/and/or bomb splinters on the Fairways, or in Bunkers within a club’s length of a ball may be moved without penalty, and no penalty shall be incurred if a ball is thereby caused to move accidentally.
  • A ball moved by enemy action may be replaced, or if lost or destroyed, a ball may be dropped not nearer the hole without penalty.
  • A ball lying in a crater may be lifted and dropped not nearer the hole, preserving the line to the hole without penalty.
  • A player whose stroke is affected by the simultaneous explosion of a bomb may play another ball from the same place. Penalty, one stroke.
http://www.listsofnote.com/2012/02/wart ... rules.html