The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: The UK thread

Post by Anaxagoras »

Is Boris going to be OK? I hear they moved him to the ICU.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:32 am
Is Boris going to be OK? I hear they moved him to the ICU.
Unless they are being VERY cautious, it is not a good sign. It suggests they are worried that his respiration could deteriorate emergently.

You will have the problem of Important People in hospitals, because no one wants to disturb them. That aside, a simple pulse oximeter handles following his oxygenation. A movement to an ICU implies a concern that they need to follow his oxygenation constantly, which further suggests that he is experiencing dyspnea and/or increasing levels of supplemental oxygen to combat it and keep up his oxygenation.

So it may be that they have an Important Person they do not want to suddenly crash on them. It may be over-caution. But given who he is and his personality that if it was "just a fever" he would want to keep working and "being P.M.," I suspect they are legitimately worried.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

He has made it through a day without intubation, so there is a plus.

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness »

From the gub'ment:
World's largest trial of potential coronavirus treatments rolled out across the UK

The largest randomised clinical trial of potential coronavirus (COVID-19) treatments is underway as part of the race to find a treatment.

The world’s largest randomised clinical trial of potential coronavirus treatments is well underway in the UK as part of the race to find a treatment.

A number of promising treatments are being tested and, if the science supports it, will be given to NHS patients as quickly as possible.

Definitive results on whether the treatments are safe and effective are expected within months and, if positive, they could potentially benefit hundreds of thousands of people worldwide.

Almost 1,000 patients from 132 different hospitals have been already recruited in just 15 days and thousands more are expected to join the Randomised Evaluation of COVID-19 Therapy (RECOVERY) trial in the coming weeks, making it the largest randomised controlled trial of potential COVID-19 treatments in the world.

The trial is testing a number of medicines recommended by an expert panel advising the Chief Medical Officer for England. They include:
  • Lopinavir-Ritonavir, commonly used to treat HIV
  • Dexamethasone, a type of steroid use in a range of conditions to reduce inflammation
  • Hydroxychloroquine, a treatment for malaria

The study has received £2.1 million from UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and the Department of Health and Social Care, through the NIHR. It is part of a wider £20 million rapid research response investment by the government to support looking at ways to tackle the coronavirus outbreak.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/worl ... oss-the-uk

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

He is now out of the ICU which is a very good sign.

– J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Good news. I kinda like the guy.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

Coronavirus: PC bitten while explaining virus restrictions

A police officer was bitten as she was trying to explain to a man why he should not visit other people's homes during the coronavirus pandemic.

It happened after officers were called to a disturbance at Drake Street, Rochdale, at 18:40 BST on Thursday.

As police were speaking to a man about government guidelines around Covid-19, two officers were punched and one, aged 21, was also seriously bitten.

The suspect remains in police custody after being arrested on suspicion of criminal damage, domestic violence assault, section 18 assault with intent to resist arrest and regulation 8 of the Health Protection Regulation 2020 (Coronavirus).
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-52243895

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Time to trigger all our Brits -- Hows Farage doing? :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:25 am
Time to trigger all our Brits -- Hows Farage doing? :)
Same old, same old.

Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

?

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

That sort of embodies 馬鹿に付ける薬は無い :

"There is no medicine for fools."

– J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:50 am
?
Switzerland displaying solidarity with other Covid hit nations. (At least that's the intent.)

Witness

Post by Witness »

White-tailed eagles have been spotted in England for the first time in 240 years

Thanks to a new pioneering project

White-tailed eagles — one of the largest birds of prey with a 2.5-metre wingspan — have been spotted for the first time in 240 years soaring above the North York Moors.

The incredible creatures, also known as Sea Eagles, went extinct in England in the early 20th century due to illegal killing. But thanks to a pioneering project by Forestry England and the Roy Dennis Wildlife Foundation, there is new hope for the majestic birds.

Last August, six eaglets were released in the Isle of Wight as part of a five-year plan to eventually introduce 60 birds to the coasts, cliffs, woodlands and estuaries around the Solent. The project tracks the young birds as they make their first big trips around the UK.

https://www.countryliving.com/uk/wildli ... rk-moors/? (with links at the page)

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Captain Tom Moore, 99, completes 100th lap of garden raising £12m for NHS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-52303859

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

HE COULD INFECTS OTHERS!!11!!!1!EleVENTY!

– J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:04 pm
Broadband engineers threatened due to 5G coronavirus conspiracies

Witness

Post by Witness »

Coronavirus: London bus travel now free and as [sic] passengers told to used middle-doors after 26 TfL staff die from virus
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 70161.html

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:56 am
Coronavirus: London bus travel now free and as [sic] passengers told to used middle-doors after 26 TfL staff die from virus
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 70161.html
You missed a [sic]. Why are passengers talking to used middle doors? And why the hyphen? Do they have editors?