The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: The UK thread

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:13 am
Trans children to be banned from surgery to change their gender, the equalities minister announces

Currently, people under the age of 18 are allowed surgery but with parental consent
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... -minister/
I'll all for individual freedom but not so much in the cases of mental illness. It should go far beyond parental consent. At the very least, these two criteria...

1. A licensed psychiatrist must approve the procedure.
2. The psychiatrist must have his license revoked for giving it.

robinson
Title: Nice guy

Post by robinson »

Haha
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:13 am
Trans children to be banned from surgery to change their gender, the equalities minister announces

Currently, people under the age of 18 are allowed surgery but with parental consent
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... -minister/
Good. Brings this in line with other surgery such as breast infants Awful justification from....omg its Liz "Pork Markets" Truss. Quelle surprise

The people/person who is pissed off about this.

https://mermaidsuk.org.uk/media-statements/

Adore, just adore this turd whining about equal rights then having no issue with gender apartheid in the next sentence.

Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Revealed: 'former Vodafone executive' in 5G conspiracy video is UK pastor

Jonathon James is previously unidentified individual who reached millions with false claims about Covid-19

A recording spread around the world at the end of March, purportedly featuring a former Vodafone executive claiming to let the public in on a secret that the coronavirus pandemic is cover for a global plot to install 5G mobile phone masts, track the world’s population through vaccines, and then destroy human society as we know it.

In reality, the Guardian can reveal, the voice on the tape making the baseless claims is an evangelical pastor from Luton who recently tried to convince Zimbabweans to use cryptocurrency in their economy.

Jonathon James, who regularly preached at churches in Bedfordshire, is the previously unidentified individual who reached millions of people with his detailed but nonsense claims that Covid-19 is a fake disease covering for the impact of 5G.

“It has nothing to do with biological warfare but is our bodies reacting to radiofrequency radiation,” he told listeners to the 38-minute recording, claiming the real cause of global deaths was new mobile technology causing cell poisoning. “They are using coronavirus to try to hide the fact that people are dying from the 5G frequency.”

Although James was not the first individual to attempt to connect the pandemic and 5G, the popularity of his recording grew at the end of last month, just as people believing the conspiracy theory began to burn down phone equipment and harass telecoms engineers.

In the recording he suggests that Bill Gates is involved in a plot to produce coronavirus vaccinations that will contain computer chips to track individuals, a move he claims will ultimately herald the destruction of society.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... thon-james

Witness

Post by Witness »

Gruniad quoted in full:
Blasphemy to be decriminalised in Scottish hate crime bill

New law will also offer wider protection against race, sex, age and religious discrimination

The Scottish government has published a bill that would decriminalise blasphemy, more than 175 years after the last case was prosecuted.

The devolved administration in Edinburgh said the continued criminalisation of blasphemy, which falls under hate crime laws, “no longer reflects the kind of society in which we live”.

Justice minister Humza Yousaf said the law would be modernised and also cover discrimination against age, disability, race, religion and sexual orientation.

“Stirring up of hatred can contribute to a social atmosphere in which discrimination is accepted as normal,” he said.

“By creating robust laws for the justice system, parliament will send a strong message to victims, perpetrators, communities and to wider society that offences motivated by prejudice will be treated seriously and will not be tolerated.”

The bill was welcomed by Humanists UK, which has been campaigning against blasphemy laws since 2015.

“Humanists have been calling on governments everywhere to repeal laws like these in solidarity with the victims of oppressive blasphemy laws around the world,” its chief executive, Andrew Copson, said.

If the law is passed, Scotland will become the latest in a series of counties, including Denmark, Canada, Greece and Ireland, to decriminalise blasphemy.

The last recorded charge of blasphemy in Scotland was brought against bookseller Thomas Paterson for “exhibiting placards of a profane nature” in his shop window in 1842.

Blasphemy laws were repealed in England and Wales in 2008.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -hate-bill

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Does this mean talking shit about Muhammad is now OK in Scotland? :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ I'm sure it will still be a (secular) hate crime. :twisted:

Giz

Post by Giz »

Yeah, they just reworded to cover the current definition of blasphemy

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

What about blasphemy involving Jesus (the second greatest prophet of Islam)?

For example, demeaning God by claiming that Jesus is God, or the son of God, or something like that.

Those are almost as bad as claiming God has a mother. :MuhammadBoom:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Police in England warn rural vigilantes not to take law into own hands during lockdown

Reports of angry residents blocking roads and confronting cyclists during coronavirus lockdown cause concern

Some rural dwellers in England have turned to vigilantism by attempting to block roads, confront cyclists and erect signs in an effort to deter people from travelling to the countryside for exercise during the lockdown, the Guardian has been told.

The National Rural Crime Network has received reports of “small-scale vigilantism” by some residents growing angry at people driving long distances to the countryside, including beauty spots, for walks or cycle rides. In a worrying development, the organisation’s chair said people had even been “aggressively driving at cyclists”.

Their behaviour has caused concern with those who point out people enjoying the countryside to exercise are not necessarily breaking government rules if they maintain physical distancing, with one police leader warning vigilantes not to take the law into their own hands.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... s-lockdown

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

People looking for excuses to feel morally superior coupled with the righteous indignation attached to such.

Obviously while excusing their own behaviour. Virus or not.

Happens alot.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Never heard of this guy Sargon is gloating about, but I'm enjoying the gloating as an aesthetic experience. 8)

Witness

Post by Witness »

British Museum makes 1.9 million images available for free

The British Museum has revamped its online collections database, making over 1.9 million photos of its collection available for free online under a Creative Commons license.

Under the new agreement the majority of the 1.9 million images are being made available for anyone to use for free under a Creative Commons 4.0 license. Users no longer need to register to use these photographs, and can now download them directly from the British Museum.

Under the terms of the Creative Commons license, you are free to share and adapt the images for non-commercial use, but must include a credit to the British Museum.

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2020/0 ... -for-free/

Link to the collection: https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection

Witness

Post by Witness »

Downing Street bars Sunday Times journalists from posing questions during coronavirus briefing

Downing Street has reportedly barred the newspaper behind the most prominent criticisms of the government’s approach to coronavirus from asking questions during daily press briefings.

Sunday Times reporters were reportedly prevented from asking questions at the latest briefing after the newspaper claimed 10 Downing Street “sleepwalked” into the coronavirus epidemic, and revealing how Boris Johnson failed to attend five COBRA meetings in the lead up to the outbreak.

The Observer’s political editor Toby Helm wrote: “I am told Downing Street also barred Sunday Times from asking questions at its briefing because they dared to criticise government’s response to coronavirus. Surely not so in an advanced democracy.”

He also reported accusations that the government would prevent journalists who criticised the move from asking questions.
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-6625055

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:47 pm
Downing Street bars Sunday Times journalists from posing questions during coronavirus briefing

Downing Street has reportedly barred the newspaper behind the most prominent criticisms of the government’s approach to coronavirus from asking questions during daily press briefings.

Sunday Times reporters were reportedly prevented from asking questions at the latest briefing after the newspaper claimed 10 Downing Street “sleepwalked” into the coronavirus epidemic, and revealing how Boris Johnson failed to attend five COBRA meetings in the lead up to the outbreak.

The Observer’s political editor Toby Helm wrote: “I am told Downing Street also barred Sunday Times from asking questions at its briefing because they dared to criticise government’s response to coronavirus. Surely not so in an advanced democracy.”

He also reported accusations that the government would prevent journalists who criticised the move from asking questions.
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-6625055
https://healthmedia.blog.gov.uk/2020/04 ... t-article/

For context reasons only. I dont agree with the press being silenced unless they break the law.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:25 am
For context reasons only. I dont agree with the press being silenced unless they break the law.
French press is subjected to what they call "droit de réponse" (right to answer/reply). I don't remember the details but roughly if you have been criticized you can send a letter to the editor and he has to publish it in a form similar to the original article (i. e. not buried in small type on p. 36).
Something like that in the UK?

Witness

Post by Witness »

170 cybersecurity experts warn that British government's contact tracing app could be used to surveil people even after coronavirus has gone
  • 177 cybersecurity and privacy experts have signed an open letter to the UK government asking it to ensure the contact tracing app it's deploying to track the spread of coronavirus doesn't then get used as a mass-surveillance tool.
  • The UK announced this week it was eschewing Apple and Google's contact-tracing API to build its app, which will process users' data centrally.
  • Experts warn this could create a database that could then be used to de-anonymize users.
A group of 177 cybersecurity experts have signed a joint open letter calling on the UK government voicing concerns about the NHS' plan to roll out a contact tracing app designed to tell people when they've come into contact with suspected coronavirus patients.

NHSX, the NHS' digital experimental arm, says the app will be rolled out in Britain in the next two to three weeks. The way it works is when people sign up to the app, their phone sends out Bluetooth signals to determine what other phones are in its vicinity. If a user develops symptoms they'll be able to report themselves in the app, and their phone will then send out an alert to all the phones it's been nearby over the previous two weeks.

The UK has taken the decision to eschew the contact tracing API being built by Apple and Google for use by governments. This decision is partly down to the fact that the UK has decided it wants to centralize users' data on an external server, making it easier to analyze, rather than keeping processing limited to people's devices. Apple and Google's API stipulates that apps use the decentralized method, which is more privacy-conscious.

"It has been reported that NHSX is discussing an approach which records centrally the de-anonymized ID of someone who is infected and also the IDs of all those with whom the infected person has been in contact," the joint letter reads. The experts argue that this data hoard could facilitate "mission creep," i.e. the government could later use the data for purposes other than tracking COVID-19.

"It is vital that, when we come out of the current crisis, we have not created a tool that enables data collection on the population, or on targeted sections of society, for surveillance."
https://www.businessinsider.com/cyberse ... ?r=US&IR=T

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:41 am
Hotarubi wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:25 am
French press is subjected to what they call "droit de réponse" (right to answer/reply). I don't remember the details but roughly if you have been criticized you can send a letter to the editor and he has to publish it in a form similar to the original article (i. e. not buried in small type on p. 36).
Something like that in the UK?
Yes.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Coronavirus: Government setting scientists up ‘to be the fall guys’, former adviser says as he launches independent alternative to Sage

Sir David King says scientific advisers are not free to speak their minds

Scientists are not free to speak their minds and are deferring to ministers, a former Downing Street adviser has claimed.

Sir David King, who was the government’s chief scientific adviser between 2000 and 2007, has spoken out after launching an independent alternative to the official body advising government through the coronavirus pandemic.

Calling for greater transparency on the official group, Sir David said he was worried that ministers were also “setting the scientists up to be the fall guys” in the aftermath.

Sir David has convened a 12-strong committee to shadow the government’s scientific advisory body for emergencies (Sage), which will focus on seven key points, including how testing and tracing can work, and the the future of social distancing.

“We don’t know what advice is coming from the scientists on Sage into the government,” he told BBC’s Today programme. “There is no transparency in the process.”

“When ministers and the prime minister say that they are simply following the science advice all the time, we the public don’t have any check on that.”

“We see the scientists at the daily news briefings, but usually with a minister present as well. That is very, very different from being free to say what your advice is. In others words, there is a complete unity between what the scientists are saying and what the politicians are saying.

Pressed on whether the scientists were not free to speak and deferring to ministers, he replied: “I believe that’s the case, yes.”

“I think there’s a very big difference between the situation today and the situation as it was in 2010-11, that is quite simply the permission to speak in the public domain has been changed.

“I think the main point I’m making is that an independent science advisory group really needs to be dominated by people whose income is not determined by the fact they are working for the government.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 97236.html