The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Re: The UK thread

Post by Hotarubi »

Should you stay at home and when can you go out?

UK version.

https://jimmeruk.com/stayathome
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Airline Pilots ‘Furious’ That U.K. Government Backs Cycling And Walking During Lockdown

The professional association for British airline pilots has released a combative statement attacking the U.K. government’s £2 billion plan for cycling and walking during the lockdown.

“British pilots will be absolutely aghast and frankly furious at £2 billion being found for walking and cycling when the airline industry, which is so vital to the U.K. economy, is dying before our eyes,” said Brian Strutton, general secretary of the British Airline Pilots Association, or BALPA.

Transport secretary Grant Shapps announced what he called a “once in a generation” plan to boost cycling and walking during the daily coronavirus briefing on May 9.

The £2 billion plan starts with £250 million to enable local authorities to pay for “pop-up” cycling and walking infrastructure to cater for physical distancing during lockdown.

The £2 billion is not new funding; it is part of a £5 billion package for cycling and buses announced in February.

The U.K. aviation industry receives an annual subsidy from taxpayers through an exemption from tax on aviation fuel and sales tax on tickets.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonrei ... -lockdown/

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

"Nicola Sturgeon does not agree. With someone about something."

:notsure:

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:22 pm
"Nicola Sturgeon does not agree. With someone about something."

– J.D.
Following this would make AA spontaneously combust under the weight of its own reversed gravity. Or something.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Parents trying to buy beer with school meal vouchers 'abuse Asda staff'

The vouchers were designed to replace lunches kids were missing out on while schools were closed, parents don't seem to always understand that
https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/parents- ... l-22021673

How surprising. :mrgreen:

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:56 am
Parents trying to buy beer with school meal vouchers 'abuse Asda staff'

The vouchers were designed to replace lunches kids were missing out on while schools were closed, parents don't seem to always understand that
https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/parents- ... l-22021673

How surprising. :mrgreen:
You and I both know the parents knew *exactly* what the vouchers were for.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

"He said to me, 'I spend enough on them t***ing kids as it is'.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

"The kids drive me to drink so. . . ."

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 am
"The kids drive me to drink so. . . ."

– J.D.
..the kids have to drive us to Asda."

Fid

Post by Fid »

Yeah, people are shits. Whilst working in a grocery store guys would honestly ask me to charge their WIC (women, infants, children) account for alcohol and tobacco. I was rather proud to be considered an utter dick.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan

Witness

Post by Witness »

Boris declares war on fat: PM ditches his 'nanny state' worries and demands action plan to tackle Britain's obesity crisis after blaming his severe bout of coronavirus on being overweight
  • Being obese doubles risk of needing hospital treatment if you get coronavirus
  • Boris Johnson has been left 'obsessed' with getting the nation on bicycles
  • One in three British adults are now classed as clinically obese
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ts-8321793

Does that mean a new wave of Austerity™? :notsure:

Witness

Post by Witness »

UK is the largest consumer of cocaine in Europe, National Crime Agency says

Head of drugs threat Lawrence Gibbon estimated that the amount being trafficked into the UK has risen three-fold

Head of drugs threat Lawrence Gibbon estimated that the amount of the Class A substance being trafficked into the country has risen three-fold since 2011 to 117 tonnes.

"A lot of the consignments we see coming into Europe - through Spain, Belgium or the Netherlands mainly - a significant proportion is destined for the UK,” Mr Gibbon told The Times.

"The UK is the biggest user of powder cocaine in Europe."

Reality of the trade

He said he does not believe that heavier policing would solve the issue of demand for the drug, but added that users should be aware of the "reality of a trade that is run by criminal gangs who use guns, violence, trafficking and debt bondage".

Between the years 2018 and 2019, law enforcement seized 9.6 tonnes of cocaine, which, according to the Home Office, is the largest amount since records began in 1973. This was up 12 per cent from cocaine seized in the previous period.
https://inews.co.uk/news/uk-largest-con ... cy-2855544

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Coronavirus: Jeremy Corbyn's brother arrested at anti-lockdown protest in London
Jeremy Corbyn's brother Piers was among 19 people arrested at an anti-lockdown demonstration in London's Hyde Park on Saturday afternoon.
Hundreds of people gathered to object to their rights of free speech and movement being curtailed, with some holding several placards and banners including slogans like "freedom over fear".
Video at the link. One of the signs complaining about "forced vaccines" and being "tracked and chipped".
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Giz

Post by Giz »

15C49B45-AD9B-4135-8044-6860B573FBEB.jpeg
It does seem to be harrowing out there. I went on their twitter and found this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Witness

Post by Witness »

HS2 ‘badly off course’ as damning report accuses government of hiding soaring costs

Senior official may have breached civil service rules by failing to inform Commons spending watchdog of troubled project’s woes

A damning report on the troubled HS2 high-speed rail programme has accused the government and the company running the project of hiding massive cost and time overruns from parliament and taxpayers.

The report by an influential Commons spending watchdog found the programme has gone “badly off course” and said the Department for Transport and HS2 Ltd had been “blindsided by contact with reality” as the bill almost doubled to £100bn in today’s prices.

The DfT’s top mandarin, permanent secretary Bernadette Kelly, may have breached the civil service code and the rules of parliamentary privilege by failing to inform MPs on the Public Accounts Committee of the project’s woes, it said.

The cross-party PAC said it was “not convinced” that the DfT and HS2 Ltd have the skills and capability they need to complete the line linking London with the Midlands and the north of England, which is the government’s largest infrastructure project.

The committee questioned a £46,000 bonus paid last year to HS2 chief executive Mark Thurston on top of his £605,350 salary – the highest of any government official. The bonus was based in part on success in controlling the scheme’s finances.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 18261.html for the rest.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Alcohol-fuelled crime offenders may have to wear ‘sobriety tags’

Hopes that new legislation for England and Wales will cut reoffending and protect public

Offenders who commit “alcohol-fuelled” crimes can be required to wear “sobriety tags” and banned from drinking under legislation that comes into force in England and Wales on Tuesday.

Courts will have the power to order those convicted of drink-related crimes to wear an ankle monitor for up to 120 days. It assesses whether there is any alcohol in their sweat.

The first tags are expected to be fitted this year once probation staff have been trained and the monitoring contract agreed. When up and running, as many as 2,300 are likely to be fitted on offenders every year.

The initiative follows successful pilot projects including one carried out in London when Boris Johnson was mayor. People who are found to be breaching an alcohol abstinence order can be brought back before the courts to face further punishment, which could include imprisonment.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... riety-tags

Witness

Post by Witness »

Organ donation law in England has changed

Organ donation in England has moved to an 'opt out' system. You may also hear it referred to as 'Max and Keira's Law'.

This means that all adults in England will be considered to have agreed to be an organ donor when they die unless they have recorded a decision not to donate or are in one of the excluded groups.

Your family will still be approached and your faith, beliefs and culture will continue to be respected.

You still have a choice whether or not you wish to become a donor.
https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/uk-law ... n-england/