The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Re: The UK thread

Post by Hotarubi »

Sometimes, you get what you search for:

Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Perhaps it is just that fewer of the American Vassals[Tm. – Ed.] play the "do as I say, not as I get to do" game that this clown is highlighted, but We – USA!USA!USA! – have lost count of the numbers of governors, mayors, and the like who have flaunted their own rules. Hilariously, one brain damaged political hack railed against and threatened those who would gather together for any occasion only to host a large party herself.

Her name?

Happens to be Karen.

We win!

Er . . . let me rephrase that. . . .

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness »

China threatens UK with 'countermeasures' if it eases passport rules for Hong Kong

China on Friday threatened the UK with reprisals for saying it could offer Hong Kong citizens a pathway to British citizenship if Beijing goes ahead with a new national security law in the Chinese territory.

Beijing "reserves the right to take corresponding countermeasures," foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told reporters at a press briefing, after the UK's foreign secretary said Britain may relax residency rules for holders of "British National Overseas" (BNO) passports in Hong Kong.

On May 27, UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said that the UK may extend visa rights for up to 300,000 Hong Kong BNO passport holders if China continues goes on imposing “repressive security laws” on the former British colony.

According to the pro-Beijing newspaper Global Times, about 170,000 Hong Kong residents “held valid BNOs as of 2019.”

Brutal interference

Beijing ridicules the move saying that it is a “the knee-jerk reaction and naive excitement among British politicians on Hong Kong affairs” that constitutes “brutal interference in China's internal affairs, which would eventually harm the Hong Kong people,” according to the newspaper.

The move, which may lead to granting BNO passport holders a right of abode in the UK, is a reaction to growing Conservative backbench pressure on the Foreign Office to do more to help Hong Kong citizens who are afraid that China is about to end their independence and political freedoms.

Anxiety was greatly enhanced after Beijing’s legislature adopted national security legislation for Hong Kong that would allow China to set up agencies representing public and national security organs, often associated with grave human rights violations within the mainland.
http://www.rfi.fr/en/international/2020 ... -hong-kong

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:42 pm
Perhaps it is just that fewer of the American Vassals[Tm. – Ed.] play the "do as I say, not as I get to do" game that this clown is highlighted, .
More do with Cummings generally being an odious turd at the best of times.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Cummings “Spare Cottage” Without Planning Permission and Pays No Council Tax

Dominic Cummimgs; a Special Advisor to the Prime Minister, made it clear that he had stayed at a “spare cottage” at his father’s farm when he addressed allegations that he had broken lockdown restrictions in April. In an Exclusive, I can now reveal that the cottage in question is not registered for Council Tax, nor has planning permission be sought for the cottage from Durham County Council.

I recently wrote how the “spare cottage” that Dominic Cummings stated he stayed at on his father’s farm near Durham, is in-fact jointly owned by himself and his family. This would therefore make Mr Cummings trip less of a journey for childcare, and more one to a second home, something was strictly prohibited at the time he traveled 260 miles north from London.

Whilst I was investigating the property’s ownership, I noticed something odd. Nowhere, on any database, does the cottage show up as a property in its own right. What makes it even easier is that Cummings’ father’s farm at North Lodge, is the only property in the entire postcode.
https://universalcreditsuffer.com/2020/ ... uncil-tax/ for the details.

Giz

Post by Giz »

I note that Melanie Phillips has written an article decrying the press coverage/hounding of Cummings.

She is normally:
- correct
- infuriates the bien pensants

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

I'd just like to point out that Cummings was anti EU as it was stealing the £350 million from the NHS, was a bloated corrupt vehicle of mismanaged money and loaded with legislative bigotry.

Seeing as that money was stolen from teh children with cancer, it was good to see him donate the £250,000 EU farm subsidy he received for land he joint-owned to Great Ormond Street.

Oh, wait, he didnt.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

https://historicengland.org.uk/images-b ... ion=images

A record of an extraordinary time

The call-out was the first time the public have been asked to capture photographs for the Archive since the Second World War.

It aimed to spark conversations about identity and has now created a unique and reflective record of a week across the nation, during this extraordinary moment in history.

These unique responses have formed a visual record in Historic England’s Archive, the nation’s archive for records of England’s historic buildings, archaeology and social history, which will help us shape what we remember about this time.

The public call out received an overwhelming reception from across England, with 2,984 submissions from across the country received over the course of seven days.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Should I submit the pictures I have of Your Mom?

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Not enough pixels.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

The 'glisten factor' is lost.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Brewer's Britain and Ireland, 2005

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

And finally (or not):

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/26/dominic- ... -12757843/

Denying he opposed lockdown measures at yesterday’s conference (25th May) he said: ‘Last year I wrote about the possible threat of coronaviruses and the urgent need for planning.’

In a post on his blog from March last year, Cummings makes reference to an accident at a Chinese lab which led to a cluster of cases of SARS (a type of coronavirus), resulting in the death of a researcher in 2004. Yesterday the adviser urged people to read his piece.

But the Wayback Machine – a digital archive showing what webpages looked like at specific dates – shows this quote was added between April and May this year. As recently as April 9, no mention of coronavirus is made.

Witness

Post by Witness »

As we're at it:
Have I Got News For You: BBC dismisses complaints about Ian Hislop ‘absolutely lacerating’ Dominic Cummings

‘No one is exempt from satire,’ said the corporation in a statement

The BBC has dismissed complaints from viewers about a recent episode of Have I Got News For You, in which Ian Hislop strongly criticised Dominic Cummings.

The latest instalment of the comedy quiz show included a monologue from Hislop about Boris Johnson’s chief advisor and his rather loose interpretation of lockdown rules.

Hislop called Cummings’s press conference about the issue “utter twoddle” and “absolute nonsense”, adding: “I cannot understand why he hasn’t resigned.”

While many took to Twitter to praise Hislop for “absolutely lacerating” Cummings, the BBC also received complaints from viewers who felt that the programme was biased against him.

In response to complainants, the BBC released a statement arguing the story did not receive “disproportionate” coverage on the programme and that “no one in the public eye is exempt” from satire.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 47596.html for the rest.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:41 am
As we're at it:

The BBC has dismissed complaints from viewers about a recent episode of Have I Got News For You, in which Ian Hislop strongly criticised Dominic Cummings.
I watched it and Hislop was hilarious, so much so that his ire became a running joke throughout the show.

People are upset on twitter? Point me in the direction of shit that I care about.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Homelessness minister tells rough sleepers to ‘move in with family and friends’ during coronavirus pandemic

Mr Hall has pressed councils to find alternative accommodation for 15,000 rough sleepers given a place to stay under the 'Everyone In' plan

Rough sleepers given emergency accommodation during the coronavirus crisis should move in with family and friends, the Government's homeless minister has suggested, as pressure to find alternative accommodation for rough sleepers mounts.

Minister for Rough Sleeping and Housing Luke Hall has told councils in England to “seek to encourage people, where appropriate and possible, to return to friends and family," in a letter addressing the next phrase of plans for homeless people, Inside Housing reported.

Polly Neate, chief executive of Shelter said Mr Hall's suggestion is "a non-starter".

“The government has set out very welcome aims to end rough sleeping and to tackle homelessness, both during the pandemic and afterwards. However, these suggestions point towards a worrying lack of understanding as to how and why people become homeless and have to sleep rough in the first place.

“As we see in our services day in and day out, most people are tipped into homelessness because they cannot find anywhere they can afford to live. People do not sleep rough if they have another option, so asking them to stay with friends and family is a non starter.

“If the government is really serious about ending homelessness, then it must tackle the reasons why people become homeless, by investing in a new generation of genuinely affordable social homes.”
https://inews.co.uk/news/homelessness-u ... ic-2873052

They should just stop being poor.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

What, the Tories not giving a shit about the homeless? Fancy That!

I think they genuinely believe the homeless have got second homes to go to.

The Anti_Semit Labour party arent much better.

"Both the main parties believe the poor should be tied up in a bin bag and thrown into a canal. The Conservatives, to be fair to them, at least have the guts to look as though they believe that. When the Labour party announced their support for welfare cuts, they did so with all the confidence of a dog running away from its own farts."

~ Stewart Lee

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

All the homeless people should move in together. Well, not in. They should just 'move together'. Kind of form a swarm. And make buzzing noises.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

The Murder Homeless.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Brit MP demands answers from Fujitsu about Horizon IT system after Post Office staff jailed over accounting errors

Biz committee chairman asks whether firm accepts software had issues

A senior Brit MP has written to Fujitsu demanding answers from the company over its role in the Horizon IT system scandal that has rocked the nation's Post Office.

Darren Jones, Labour MP and chairman of Parliament's Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee, wrote to Fujitsu and the Post Office on Wednesday to raise the issue of the strife sub-postmasters have been put through at the hands of the software.

In the early 2000s, the Post Office commissioned the new IT system, with the technical responsibility for it resting with Fujitsu. Horizon, an accounting system deployed in post offices across the UK, contained fatal flaws that generated false records; the system would wrongly record huge deficits in sub-postmasters' takings that did not exist.

Under the well-known principle of "computer says no," the Post Office and Fujitsu ignored problems with the system and lashed out at sub-postmasters who complained when the Post Office ordered them to make up these fictitious shortfalls out of their own pockets. Some were lucky; Fujitsu and Post Office technicians remotely accessed accounts to correct the balances, unknown to the sub-postmasters.

Others who refused to accept the Fujitsu and Post Office version of events were privately prosecuted by the Post Office, using evidence provided by Fujitsu, and jailed. In 2015 a Post Office spokesman flatly denied the problems to The Register, claiming "there have been exhaustive investigations which have not found any evidence of systemic problems with the Horizon system."
https://www.theregister.com/2020/06/04/ ... questions/ for the rest.