The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Re: The UK thread

Post by Hotarubi »

That one has been running for a while
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Got through about two minutes. WTF?

Is there some UK show that it's parodying?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:23 pm
Got through about two minutes. WTF?

Is there some UK show that it's parodying?
It's parodying Mexican soap operas but it's set in Woking, which is, excluding the North of England and the whole of Wales, the most tediously depressing place in the Universe.

I think its absolute genius.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Mexican soap operas popular in the UK? :lmao:

Giz

Post by Giz »

Why set in woking when Dorking is literally next door?

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Three years in prison for man who set fire to phone mast after researching 5G coronavirus theories

A man who set fire to a phone mast after researching discredited theories linking 5G and coronavirus online was jailed today.

Michael Whitty, 47, carried out an arson attack inside the equipment box of a telecommunications mast owned by Vodafone on Coopers Lane in Kirkby on April 5 after researching theories falsely linking 5G to coronavirus.

The dad-of-three, who runs an independent company providing parking facilities based near Liverpool John Lennon Airport, pleaded guilty to arson over the blaze at Liverpool Crown Court on Monday, May 18.

He appeared back in court today, June 8, for sentencing via a videolink from HMP Altcourse.

Whitty has 13 convictions for 29 offences, spanning between 1991 and 2019, including for assaulting a police officer and for possession of a firearm, but none for similar offences.

Whitty was also convicted for an offence of battery last year, which he was still serving a community order for at the time of the arson.

Judge Thomas Teague, QC, said: "In my view there was here a high degree of planning and premeditation.

"There was use of firelighters and, in the sense that the aim was to put the mast out of action, there was intent to cause very serious damage to property."

Sentencing, Judge Teague said he believed Whitty had showed genuine remorse and his charitable work showed a "positive side" to his character.

Whitty was sentenced to three years in prison.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... o-18381653

Fid

Post by Fid »

I'm pretty sure in Georgia they drag out and dust off 'ole sparky for that.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan

Giz

Post by Giz »

Witness wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:30 pm
Three years in prison for man who set fire to phone mast after researching 5G coronavirus theories

A man who set fire to a phone mast after researching discredited theories linking 5G and coronavirus online was jailed today.

Michael Whitty, 47, carried out an arson attack inside the equipment box of a telecommunications mast owned by Vodafone on Coopers Lane in Kirkby on April 5 after researching theories falsely linking 5G to coronavirus.

The dad-of-three, who runs an independent company providing parking facilities based near Liverpool John Lennon Airport, pleaded guilty to arson over the blaze at Liverpool Crown Court on Monday, May 18.

He appeared back in court today, June 8, for sentencing via a videolink from HMP Altcourse.

Whitty has 13 convictions for 29 offences, spanning between 1991 and 2019, including for assaulting a police officer and for possession of a firearm, but none for similar offences.

Whitty was also convicted for an offence of battery last year, which he was still serving a community order for at the time of the arson.

Judge Thomas Teague, QC, said: "In my view there was here a high degree of planning and premeditation.

"There was use of firelighters and, in the sense that the aim was to put the mast out of action, there was intent to cause very serious damage to property."

Sentencing, Judge Teague said he believed Whitty had showed genuine remorse and his charitable work showed a "positive side" to his character.

He must have picked an unfashionable cause. In the U.K., if you commit an offense “in a good cause” there is precedent for letting you off.

From the independent:
“ A group of climate protesters who glued themselves to a train have been spared jail by a judge who acknowledged their “noble” intentions were to “protect all human life”.”

I think a couple of years before that, a similar climate protest (from memory might have been airport or power stations) also got away with it due to a magistrate thinking that in their view they saw a clear and present danger [from global warming]

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

The climate stuff has a faction of the ruling class behind it. Indeed it is a tactic for grabbing more power.

Nobody powerful (or sane) buys the 5G conspiracy business.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

They could have just let the train run.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Giz wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:04 am
Witness wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:30 pm
He must have picked an unfashionable cause. In the U.K., if you commit an offense “in a good cause” there is precedent for letting you off.

From the independent:
“ A group of climate protesters who glued themselves to a train have been spared jail by a judge who acknowledged their “noble” intentions were to “protect all human life”.”

I think a couple of years before that, a similar climate protest (from memory might have been airport or power stations) also got away with it due to a magistrate thinking that in their view they saw a clear and present danger [from global warming]
Happens here to the rich and powerful...and their kids. Amy Carter:
Carter later became known for her political activism. She participated in a number of sit-ins and protests during the 1980s and early 1990s that were aimed at changing U.S. foreign policy towards South African apartheid and Central America.[12] Along with activist Abbie Hoffman and 13 others, she was arrested during a 1986 demonstration at the University of Massachusetts Amherst for protesting CIA recruitment there. She was acquitted of all charges in a well-publicized trial in Northampton, Massachusetts. Attorney Leonard Weinglass, who defended Abbie Hoffman in the Chicago Seven trial in the 1960s, utilized the necessity defense, successfully arguing that because the CIA was involved in criminal activity in Central America and other hotspots, preventing it from recruiting on campus was equivalent to trespassing in a burning building.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Carter#Activism

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Giz wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:04 am
He also had a troubled past, as I quoted. That doesn't help… :|

Witness

Post by Witness »

Sloth-like Boris Johnson escapes capture during fleeting appearance

Prime minister can be returned to captivity for another week as Keir Starmer fails to pin him down

Wednesday is Boris Johnson’s take your inner child to work day. The day when he falls out of bed, puts on a suit, uses a brush to turn his hair into a total state and rides out of his Downing Street flat to first face prime minister’s questions in the Commons before doing his weekly coronavirus press briefing at 5pm.

Quite what he does in the intervening six days, almost no one has a clue as he is rarely spotted in the wild and there is no visible evidence of any action. Though many of us – including a large number of Tory MPs who are beginning to think they might have backed the wrong man as his approval and competency ratings plummet – would dearly love to know. Perhaps he has been taking time out to catch up with the third series of Ozark.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... appearance for the rest.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

I'm not getting that one. Being ironic maybe?

Giz

Post by Giz »

The British government are pussies