The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Re: The UK thread

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:30 am
A Downing Street spokesman says children currently receiving free school meals will continue to do so following a campaign by Manchester United footballer Marcus Rashford
I saw that about 10 minutes after I posted my original.

Still apt.

Because it's pretty clear that Man United players are not being paid enough to cover the cost of school meals for 9 million children.

So where's the justice????
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

A little background (hatchet job) on Sargon by another Gamergate big name. :)

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:18 pm
No offense, Abdul, but I wonder who here will spend half an hour watching a (crappy, meseems) video about Sargon? Or even click-through…

British problems:
Paint job on Boris Johnson's plane will cost taxpayer £900,000

Cost of union jack makeover represents value for money, says PM’s spokesman

The spokesman confirmed that the RAF Voyager, previously coloured grey, is in Cambridgeshire for a makeover.

“The RAF Voyager used by the royal family and the PM is currently in Cambridgeshire for pre-planned repainting. This will mean that the plane can better represent the UK around the world with national branding, which will be in line with many other leaders’ planes,” he said. He added that it would continue to perform its other job, refuelling military jets.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... 000-pounds

solely

Post by solely »

I hate painting.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

"How long can the British people be expected to put up with my really bad comb-over?"
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

sparks wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:47 pm
"How long can the British people be expected to put up with my really bad comb-over?"
It's nothing compared to Trump's cheesy comb over. Trump's is YUGE. :)

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

True that.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Aw why you guys hating on another guy's "trademark"?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks

Post by sparks »

'Cause it sucks. :)

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... cleRelated

International Trade Secretary Liz Truss faces challenge to eat a 'set menu' of the 'Frankenfood' she wants to bring to Britain under the terms of a US trade deal

Not really a story. Everyone knows that descriptions of fine dining and the USA should not be in the same sentence, but this was a shameful opportunity to post another "Liz "

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:18 pm
No offense, Abdul, but I wonder who here will spend half an hour watching a (crappy, meseems) video about Sargon? Or even click-through…
Not me. :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Revealed: Scottish property worth billions owned by tax haven firms

Foreign companies own £4.4 billion worth of Scottish property, The Ferret can reveal, leading to calls for greater transparency to stop Scotland losing out on tax revenue.

Concerns have also been raised about the need for urgent action to stop criminals using opaque foreign companies to invest in Scottish property as a front for money laundering.

Registers of Scotland data obtained by The Ferret shows that on the last day of 2019, 3,237 Scottish properties were owned or leased by companies based outside of the UK.

The companies buying these properties paid a total of £4.42bn for them. They are likely to be worth even more than that today.

Further Ferret analysis shows that about 60 per cent of foreign owned property was bought by companies based in tax havens, allowing them to avoid paying tax. These 1,851 companies paid £2.76 billion for the properties.

Jersey, the Isle of Man, the British Virgin Islands, Guernsey and Luxembourg are the places whose companies own the most Scottish property.
https://theferret.scot/scottish-propert ... tax-haven/ for the rest.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness

Post by Witness »

China defies court order over building of wall at Belfast consulate

Embassy in London claims construction project is covered by diplomatic immunity

A row over the construction of a wall at the Chinese consulate in Belfast has escalated after China said it would ignore a legal order to temporarily halt the work.

A letter from lawyers for the Chinese embassy in London to residents objecting to the security wall said diplomatic staff did not recognise the jurisdiction of courts in Northern Ireland.

Martin McBurney, who lives facing China’s consulate in the salubrious Malone area of the city, won an injunction aimed at stopping the building work two weeks ago, but the work has continued this week.

The consulate opened five years ago, and the work to fortify the exterior wall began in February. Builders were flown in from China for the project and they have worked at the site throughout the coronavirus crisis.

Chinese diplomats did not apply for permission for the project through the normal planning procedures. Residents oppose it because they say it is in a conservation area that includes many trees that have been felled during the building programme.

In response to a warning from McBurney’s solicitor that they were going to the high court in Belfast to enforce the stop notice, a lawyer for the Chinese embassy wrote: “Our client does not accept the jurisdiction of the courts and will not participate in the proceedings.

“However, to assist the court we have set out our detailed legal points and the application is based on untrue facts. The claim in the high court is highly disrespectful to our client.”
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -consulate

:mrgreen:

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Ireland will quarantine British travellers because of the UK's 'significantly poorer' response to the coronavirus
  • Ireland is set to place a new coronavirus quarantine on British travellers due to the high levels of the virus in the UK.
  • The UK is "highly likely" to be excluded from plans for "air bridges" to countries with low infection rates.
  • Just 6 coronavirus deaths were recorded in Ireland on Wednesday compared to 154 in the UK.
  • A leaked Irish government memo said the UK would be excluded from the safe traveller list because of its "significantly poorer" response to the pandemic.
https://www.businessinsider.com/ireland ... ead-2020-6

Witness

Post by Witness »

Nicola Sturgeon condemns Boris Johnson's claim of 'no border' between England and Scotland

Nicola Sturgeon has criticised Boris Johnson’s “absurd and ridiculous political comments” claiming there is no Scottish border, and urged him to focus on the coronavirus pandemic.

The First Minister said attempts to escalate a row about people potentially having to quarantine if entering Scotland from other parts of the UK are “frankly disgraceful”.

Ms Sturgeon has repeatedly stated she will not rule out such quarantine measures if they are supported by public health evidence, a suggestion the PM said he found “absolutely astonishing”.

At Prime Minister’s Questions on Wednesday, Mr Johnson said: “There have been no such discussions with the Scottish administration about that but I would point out to [Conservative MP Andrew Bowie] what he knows very well – there is no such thing as a border between England and Scotland.”

On the possibility of people having to quarantine after entering Scotland, Ms Sturgeon said there are no such proposals at the moment.

But she added: “Given the nature of what we’re dealing with right now – just to remind the Prime Minister: an infectious virus – I would not be doing my job properly if I ruled things out that, as we see from countries around the world, are being used selectively in appropriate circumstances to try to contain a virus.

​“If I’m looking at the data and the evidence and I’m seeing that there’s a risk to Scotland of infection coming in from other parts of the UK and I think that there needs to be measures taken to contain that, then I will discuss that with other administrations as appropriate.”
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/ ... 85881.html

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Giz

Post by Giz »

Witness wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:08 pm
Nicola Sturgeon condemns Boris Johnson's claim of 'no border' between England and Scotland

Nicola Sturgeon has criticised Boris Johnson’s “absurd and ridiculous political comments” claiming there is no Scottish border, and urged him to focus on the coronavirus pandemic.

The First Minister said attempts to escalate a row about people potentially having to quarantine if entering Scotland from other parts of the UK are “frankly disgraceful”.

Ms Sturgeon has repeatedly stated she will not rule out such quarantine measures if they are supported by public health evidence, a suggestion the PM said he found “absolutely astonishing”.

At Prime Minister’s Questions on Wednesday, Mr Johnson said: “There have been no such discussions with the Scottish administration about that but I would point out to [Conservative MP Andrew Bowie] what he knows very well – there is no such thing as a border between England and Scotland.”

On the possibility of people having to quarantine after entering Scotland, Ms Sturgeon said there are no such proposals at the moment.

But she added: “Given the nature of what we’re dealing with right now – just to remind the Prime Minister: an infectious virus – I would not be doing my job properly if I ruled things out that, as we see from countries around the world, are being used selectively in appropriate circumstances to try to contain a virus.

​“If I’m looking at the data and the evidence and I’m seeing that there’s a risk to Scotland of infection coming in from other parts of the UK and I think that there needs to be measures taken to contain that, then I will discuss that with other administrations as appropriate.”
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/ ... 85881.html
Scotland has borders? That’s ridiculous.

I doubt they have a bookstore , let alone a chain.