The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: The UK thread

Post by Witness »

PM Johnson makes Lords of his brother, cricketer Botham and Brexit allies

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has elevated to the House of Lords his younger brother, a cricket hero and some of his allies in the campaign to take Britain out of the European Union.

Under an arcane system whose inner workings are not exposed to public scrutiny, British political leaders are entitled on certain occasions to nominate people to the upper chamber of parliament, where they can sit for life.

Among 36 nominations announced on Friday was Jo Johnson, the prime minister’s younger brother, who quit as a junior minister last year because he disagreed with his boss and older sibling’s Brexit strategy.

Jo Johnson supported remaining in the European Union in a 2016 referendum, in sharp contrast to Boris Johnson, who led the successful campaign for Britain to quit the bloc.

In another apparent olive branch to heal Brexit divisions within his Conservative Party, the prime minister nominated former finance minister Philip Hammond, a prominent remainer who was long the target of vitriolic attacks by Brexit supporters.

Other political nominations tilted more towards the Brexit camp, with peerages bestowed on former opposition Labour lawmakers Kate Hoey and Gisela Stuart, who as ardent Brexiteers became unlikely allies of Johnson during the referendum.

He also nominated former England cricket captain Ian Botham, who in his heyday in the 1980s was regarded by many fans of the sport as one of its finest all-rounders. Botham was not recognised for his achievements on the field, however, but for his enthusiastic Brexit campaigning.

Among other eye-catching nominations was that of Evgeny Lebedev, the British-Russian owner of the Evening Standard and Independent newspapers. He is the son of Alexander Lebedev, a former KGB agent who became an oligarch.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKCN24W2K1

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Among other eye-catching nominations was that of Evgeny Lebedev, the British-Russian owner of the Evening Standard and Independent newspapers. He is the son of Alexander Lebedev, a former KGB agent who became an oligarch.
I think its worthy of mention here that ex-Chancellor George Osborne was the former editor of the (very) Standard (now editor in chief) from 2017 - 2020. Thankfully he was replaced in June as editor by someone with *no* Tory party connections whatsoever - Ms. Emily Sheffield - who is completely NOT Dave Cameron's sister-in-law.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

There is apparently something called the "Black British Militia" and Nigel Farage's old buddy Sargon does not like them because ...
Spoiler:
... too fackin American. :lmao:
I admit I only got through about 2 minutes, so maybe I'm being unfair. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

As usual, gave up on this turd after about the fourth fallacy

Which was about six seconds in.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Farm worker feared murdered found living alone in woods five years after going missing

Police discover Lithuanian Ricardas Puisys in woods near Wisbech and now believe he fled exploitation in 2015

A Lithuanian farmworker who police feared might have been killed has instead been found hiding in woodland alive and well five years later.

Ricardas Puisys was reported missing in September 2015 after he failed to turn up for work at his job picking vegetables in Cambridgeshire.

Detectives issued a public appeal, but no trace was found of the then 35-year-old and a murder inquiry into his disappearance was launched.

The case then went cold until last summer, when photos of Mr Puisys were posted to a Facebook account in his name.
“Following a search of wooded area in Harecroft Road, Ricardas was eventually found living in undergrowth, very well concealed after having deliberately hidden and having not spoken with anyone for some time.”

Detectives believe he might have been the victim of some form of exploitation and had run away secretly to escape.
Police decided not to announce he had been found earlier in July so they could first move him to a safe place. An investigation into his potential exploitation has now also been launched.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 51671.html

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

That' a lot of concern for an immigrant farm worker. Just being reported missing is a real surprise. I'm not criticizing, I'm just amazed.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Rob Lister wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:13 am
That' a lot of concern for an immigrant farm worker. Just being reported missing is a real surprise. I'm not criticizing, I'm just amazed.
Trump isn't our President.

Too soon?