The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The UK thread

Post by Doctor X »

That is actually accurate.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness

Post by Witness »

I blame the psychedelic carpet. :P
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Northerners indulging in a popular regional sporting event..."The two pint kickoff instigated by fat ugly red faced bird in bad clothes claiming someone was lustin' after her."

Witness wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:49 am I blame the psychedelic carpet. :P
Typical pub carpet, camouflages beer, piss, spew, brown sauce and bodily fluid stains.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pub+car ... 17&bih=673

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:57 am Typical pub carpet, camouflages beer, piss, spew, brown sauce and bodily fluid stains.
Claro, same as upholstery in public transportation. :|

Buckingham Palace banned ethnic minorities from office roles, papers reveal

Exclusive: Documents also shed light on Queen’s ongoing exemption from race and sex discrimination laws

The Queen’s courtiers banned “coloured immigrants or foreigners” from serving in clerical roles in the royal household until at least the late 1960s, according to newly discovered documents that will reignite the debate over the British royal family and race.

The documents also shed light on how Buckingham Palace negotiated controversial clauses – that remain in place to this day – exempting the Queen and her household from laws that prevent race and sex discrimination.

The papers were discovered at the National Archives as part of the Guardian’s ongoing investigation into the royal family’s use of an arcane parliamentary procedure, known as Queen’s consent, to secretly influence the content of British laws.

They reveal how in 1968, the Queen’s chief financial manager informed civil servants that “it was not, in fact, the practice to appoint coloured immigrants or foreigners” to clerical roles in the royal household, although they were permitted to work as domestic servants.

It is unclear when the practice ended. Buckingham Palace refused to answer questions about the ban and when it was revoked. It said its records showed people from ethnic minority backgrounds being employed in the 1990s. It added that before that decade, it did not keep records on the racial backgrounds of employees.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ers-reveal for the rest.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

David Mitchell summing things up perfectly:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Labour demands 'urgent investigation' into the Conservatives after Boris Johnson's party declares donations from companies that don't exist
  • EXCLUSIVE: Labour says Electoral Commission must open "urgent investigation" into potentially illegal donations.
  • Insider reported that the Conservative Party received donations from nonexistent companies.
  • The commission has the power to impose fines of £20,000 per offense.
  • Advocates say that UK political-finance law needs strengthening.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/labour-demand ... 48399.html

In completely different news:
Police order parents to clean up mess after teen party in Derbyshire

Parents were ordered to clean up a "trail of wanton destruction" from an outdoor party held by their children.

Police found empty bottles, cans and piles of vomit at the unauthorised gathering in Hilton, Derbyshire, on Saturday night.

Mercia Safer Neighbourhood Team said rubbish bags were handed to parents and children to clear up the mess.

Derbyshire Police said work was ongoing to contact other young people who were seen leaving as officers arrived.

The force said the group of teenagers had gathered on the grounds of Hilton Harriers Football Club without permission and left rubbish scattered across the fields.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-57313589 :mrgreen:
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Keeping the tradition of child labor alive.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Chimney's not going to sweep themselves!

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Sometimes I wonder if all the modern British actors trying to do American accents is just long-term revenge for Dick Van Dyke.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Probably was.

Some, like Christian Bale, do a good job of it. I suppose it depends on the accent in question.

The lead actor of your favorite series, The Americans, [Stop that! – Ed.] has a completely different accent from the one which he performed on the show. Oddly enough, an old KGB defector who reviewed such shows noted that you could not expect even these characters to have lost their Russian accents.

There is an anime Anax and I like where they introduced American characters. They were appalling, so fans substituted their voices with the American dubbs!

Cheerio and by Jove!

– J.D.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

People say that Hugh Laurie did a believable USA accent as the star of House. Being English, I'm not qualified to tell.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Being an American I can tell you that he did an excellent job
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-57363750

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

ceptimus wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:57 pm People say that Hugh Laurie did a believable USA accent as the star of House. Being English, I'm not qualified to tell.
Hugh Laurie is probably the best example of American accent. If I wasn't familiar with his work prior to House I would not have though he was from UK.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Isles of Scilly: Egyptian vulture seen in UK for first time in 150 years

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-57483562 for details.

Nice bird, seen it in North Africa & Greece.
Giz

Post by Giz »

“ We already know that numerous local authorities around the country failed to confront grooming gangs of largely Pakistani heritage because they were worried about appearing racist or stirring up racist feelings in the populace. ”

Now this:

“ The independent inquiry into the Manchester Arena bombing of May 2017, in which 22 pop fans were killed by an Islamist extremist, has published the first volume of its report. It makes for chilling reading. The inquiry has found there were numerous ‘missed opportunities’ to confront Salman Abedi, the bomber, and potentially stop him from detonating the device in his rucksack. Most chilling of all is the reason given by one of the key security guards on patrol that evening as to why he failed to question Abedi. He was worried, he said, that asking a brown-skinned man why he was hanging around the arena might be construed as racist.”

The official report (see paragraph 1.55 for the missed opportunity):
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ssible.pdf
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Doctor X wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:15 am Probably was.

Some, like Christian Bale, do a good job of it. I suppose it depends on the accent in question.

The lead actor of your favorite series, The Americans, [Stop that! – Ed.] has a completely different accent from the one which he performed on the show. Oddly enough, an old KGB defector who reviewed such shows noted that you could not expect even these characters to have lost their Russian accents.

There is an anime Anax and I like where they introduced American characters. They were appalling, so fans substituted their voices with the American dubbs!

Cheerio and by Jove!

– J.D.
Two of the leads from The Wire were Brits: Dominic West and Idris Elba
This space for let
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Giz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:17 pm “ We already know that numerous local authorities around the country failed to confront grooming gangs of largely Pakistani heritage because they were worried about appearing racist or stirring up racist feelings in the populace. ”

Now this:

“ The independent inquiry into the Manchester Arena bombing of May 2017, in which 22 pop fans were killed by an Islamist extremist, has published the first volume of its report. It makes for chilling reading. The inquiry has found there were numerous ‘missed opportunities’ to confront Salman Abedi, the bomber, and potentially stop him from detonating the device in his rucksack. Most chilling of all is the reason given by one of the key security guards on patrol that evening as to why he failed to question Abedi. He was worried, he said, that asking a brown-skinned man why he was hanging around the arena might be construed as racist.”

The official report (see paragraph 1.55 for the missed opportunity):
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ssible.pdf
There are calls, in the US, for an end to limited immunity for cops. I am beginning to think that such immunity should be eliminated for all public servants including elected officials.
This space for let
Giz

Post by Giz »

Yeah, I think the issue here is that there are good reasons for limited immunity to exist but it requires the public to believe that officials will generally behave with disinterested professionalism in the best interest of the public.

That belief is, or has, rapidly evaporated.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Link:

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Unesco report says Liverpool should lose World Heritage status

The threat of Liverpool's demotion has rumbled on for more than a decade after modern developments on the city's waterfront.

Liverpool City Council said about £1.5bn had been invested in upgrading 157 heritage assets.

A final decision will be made when Unesco confirms the sites on its World Heritage List at a meeting next month.

The new report by the World Heritage Committee said "with deep regret" new developments in the city had resulted in "serious deterioration and irreversible loss of attributes".

It cited the Liverpool Waters project and the approved plans for Everton FC's new stadium at Bramley Moore Dock.
Liverpool's heritage
  • The World Heritage Site stretches from the city's famous waterfront, through the historic commercial districts, to St George's Hall
  • The city's bid was centred on its history as a major global port in the 18th and 19th Centuries, when it played a significant role in the growth of the British Empire.
  • It was a hub for the mass movement of people, including migrants from Europe to America, and had a key role in the transatlantic slave trade
  • The Albert Dock area features more Grade I-listed buildings than anywhere else in the UK
  • Liverpool is one of 32 World Heritage Sites in the UK, along with Stonehenge and the Giant's Causeway
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-57556884
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Link:

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
solely

Post by solely »

See what you unleashed,
Breitbart headline,
Joey Chestnut sets new record at post pandemic hot dog race.
Chestnut downed 76 franks and buns in 10 minutes.
https://www.breitbart.com/news/joey-che ... -dog-race/
Giz

Post by Giz »

Pyrrho wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:58 pm
Link:

DJ

Post by DJ »

Not just a bad beat down, but relegation too! 😝
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

At least it was not 28-3. . . .

– J.D.

DJ

Post by DJ »

Doctor X wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:51 pm At least it was not 28-3. . . .

– J.D.
:freedom:

Glorious.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.

Giz

Post by Giz »

Free speech in the UK is in even more peril (yes, it’s possible).

On top of the conservatives trying to make flag burning/statue defacing a ten year sentence, now labor want the penalty extended to religious figures. Hello blasphemy law!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

They already have such laws in force in the UK.

– J.D.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Doctor X wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:49 pm They already have such laws in force in the UK.

– J.D.
Strictly speaking, only Nor'n Bogland retains blasphemy laws in the UK. Evidences
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

They have started prosecuting people for "mean tweets" and "pictures."

The Canadian and 'Murican lawyers some of us post on Politics had a hilarious interview with one victim of this:

But it is all good. An SNP MSP is being investigated for suggesting that Jacob Reese-Mogg will burn in Hell in a Tweet.

– J.D.

asthmatic camel

Oh, we have laws against incitement to religious/racial hatred which snowflakes sometimes like to use inappropriately but they're not blasphemy laws: more "Don't be an arsehole" laws. You can no longer be prosecuted for denying the existence of "God" or questioning the validity of the bible for example.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Giz

Post by Giz »

asthmatic camel wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:33 pm Oh, we have laws against incitement to religious/racial hatred which snowflakes sometimes like to use inappropriately but they're not blasphemy laws: more "Don't be an arsehole" laws. You can no longer be prosecuted for denying the existence of "God" or questioning the validity of the bible for example.
There’s a teacher in hiding who might feel differently:

“Labour’s Kim Leadbeater, when pressed on the fact that the teacher still feels that his life is under threat and therefore he cannot return to Batley, said: ‘Well… I think that’s up to him to decide.’”

- what a contemptible way to honor her murdered sister’s memory.

And that’s before we talk about naz shah trying to add it on to the statute books instead of just leaving it an effective law of the streets.
asthmatic camel

This case?

It's problematic, for sure. In Islam, blasphemy is largely considered a severe offence, with punishments up to and including death common. It's no surprise that the teacher's use of an image of Mohhamed caused offence in the local community, nor that Islamic hardliners want to impose sharia law on the rest of us.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

They have simply redefined blasphemy as "incitement to racial/religious/cultural hatred."

This was basically THERE's strategy of rule put into law. Whomever is in power decides what is an "arsehole," and, frankly "being an arsehole" should not be against the law.

– J.D.

Giz

Post by Giz »

Exactly. Being a jerk shouldn’t be illegal.

In the old days (pre 2016) I’d make a comment about “this shows how a written constitution is so useful for preventing state abuses” but I don’t have the heart anymore.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

You can see how quickly [Straw – Ed.] people are willing to toss rules when it benefits them. I consider that tendency "bi-" or even "multi-" or, perhaps, "meta-partisan." There are cases from every "party" or "group" that excuses breaking the rules for "the Greater Good."

– J.D.