The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: The UK thread

Post by Witness »

It's a long read, but entertaining. I'll give you the head and the tail:
#TheWeekInTory returns for the second time in 4 days

The weeks grow shorter, but the days last forever

Anyway: don your athletic support, lower your visor, drink heavily, and start with some comparatively minor corruption...

1. The consultant who advised the govt to look for "alternative arrangements" on the Irish Border is in line for a £200m contract if alternative arrangements go ahead

2. But to facilitate this, the govt has to break international law with the Internal Market Bill (IMB)

3. Nobody can tell us what the "alternative arrangements" are, but the IMB passed through parliament anyway

4. The UK’s highest-ranking law officer in Scotland resigned over the IMB

5. The UK’s special envoy on media freedom, Amal Clooney (yes, that one) quit over IMB

6. The former (Tory appointed) ambassador to USA said the IMB was "hugely damaging to our international reputation"

7. Those snowflake liberal Remoaners Toby Young, Peter Hitchens and Tim Montgomerie turned on the govt over IMB. As did every living former-PM

67. In June the govt spent £500m on a GPS satellite system to replace the one we lose due to Brexit

68. In July it was reported "we bought the wrong satellites"

69. This week the govt cancelled the programme and began asking the EU if we can keep on using their GPS system

70. A cross-party committee of MPs found nurse-Ratched cosplayer Priti Patel "bases immigration policies on anecdotes and prejudice"

71. It found her dept has "no idea" what its annual spending achieves, and referred to "the wreckage that [Patel’s dept’s] ignorance caused"

72. She is one of the favourites to replace Johnson

73. This is because it was reported the PM is thinking of quitting because he’s worried about his personal finances: the poor man has to "pay tax", "buy his own food" and "support 4 of his 6 children". Oh, the humanity!

74. And Jonathan Aitken – look him up – continues to get privileged access to parliament despite a ban on MPs who have served more than a year in prison. Which he did. And it was hilarious.

75. And finally, because he always needs a guest appearance, Chris Grayling, the man who awarded a ferry contract to a company with no ships, has got a £100k appointment to advise ports
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1307 ... 23904.html
Witness

Post by Witness »

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson’s back to work message to be scrapped in latest U-turn

‘If it is possible for people to work from home, then we would encourage them to do so’, Michael Gove says - admitting to ‘shift in emphasis’

Staff will no longer be told to go back to their workplace to save the economy, in another government U-turn as coronavirus infections surge again.

Last month, workers were urged to stop working from home if they could – even amid suggestions they could be at risk of being sacked if they refused.

But Michael Gove said there would now be “shift of emphasis”, also revealing the target for 80 per cent of civil servants to be in the office had been ditched.

“If it is possible for people to work from home, then we would encourage them to do so,” the cabinet office minister said.

Mr Gove said ministers now believed they needed to “balance” the need for schools to remain open with curtailing other activity to “try to reduce the virus”.

That was why “if we can limit or appropriately restrain social contact, that is what we're trying to do”, he told Sky News.

On BBC Breakfast, Mr Gove was accused of a “complete about turn”, but replied: “No, it is a response to the spread of the virus. A stitch in time saves nine.”

He also confirmed that planned trials to allow the phased return of limited crowds to sporting events from next month had been scrapped.

Only three weeks ago, Boris Johnson was preparing to launch a major drive to persuade more staff to return to their workplaces, to save struggling retailers in town and city centres.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 26340.html
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Changing gender to get cheaper but ‘self‑identify’ scheme is off (The Times; the one read by the people who actually do run the country)
Plans to allow people to “self-identify” as a different gender will be formally dropped by the government this week.

Ministers have decided against the proposals, which were developed under Theresa May’s government, to allow transgender people to change their birth certificates without a medical diagnosis. Instead, they plan to reduce the cost of making such a change.
You'd have to subscribe to read much further, but I saw it here:

In brief: Why is scrapping GRA reform such good news for women and girls? (Fair Play for Women; an advocacy group)
The UK government has decided GRA reform is to be scrapped in England and Wales. This comes after an incredible grassroots campaign by ordinary women. But why was it so important for us to defend our rights?

Transgender rights are already protected in law, and that won’t change. But trans pressure groups took it too far, they weren’t just asking for trans rights, they were demanding women’s sex-based rights too. Women said no.

Current rules mean the number of people who are allowed to change the sex on their birth certificates is small. Just a few thousand people have done so since 2004.

But demands for Self-ID would have meant *any man* could have changed his birth certificate to say he’d been BORN female.

We were told time and again not to worry about it. This will have no impact on women’s sex-based rights. There’s no impact on privacy, safety or fairness for women and girls. They were wrong. This short article explains why.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Higher education in the humanities has been dead for a while.

What we have now are impostors wearing a skin suit made from the corpse.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Giz

Post by Giz »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:35 pm Higher education in the humanities has been dead for a while.

What we have now are impostors wearing a skin suit made from the corpse.
It’s sad. Those who should be conserving and propagating our heritage are leading the charge to destroy it.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:38 am Back to Important News™:
Boris Johnson 'worried about money' and if he and Carrie 'can afford a nanny' on £150k salary

The Prime Minister's earnings have reportedly shrunk from £350,000 to £150,000 a year having sacrificed his newspaper column and speaking arrangements to run the country

A 'subdued' Boris Johnson is said to be worried about money and the ability to afford childcare after taking a substantial pay cut to run the country.

Those close to the Prime Minister have reportedly described him as having "misery etched on his face" as he attempts to steer the UK through a pandemic and Brexit negotiations.

And his friends allege that he now has money worries to add to his existing pressures, after he gave up his newspaper column with the Daily Telegraph, thought to be worth £275,000, plus lucrative fees for speaking arrangements for his PM's salary of £150,000.

Mr Johnson is thought to be concerned about supporting four of his six children through university, while also affording childcare costs for his youngest son, Wilfred, born on 29 April this year.

Boris and his fiancee, Carrie Symonds, get the use of the flat above No 11 Downing Street, which is taxed as benefit in kind.

He also has to pay for food sent up from Downing Street's kitchen and is presented with a bill by the Government every time he wants to host friends at his country retreat, Chequers.

One friend told The Times : "Boris, like other prime ministers, is very, very badly served. He doesn't have a housekeeper - he has a single cleaner and they're worried about being able to afford a nanny.

"He's stuck in the flat and Downing Street is not a nice place to live. It's not like the Élysée or the White House where you can get away from it all because they're so big. Even if he or Carrie want to go into the rose garden they have to go through the office."

It's also claimed that Mr Johnson detests being "at the helm in rough seas" and that his usual jovial and upbeat outlook has been replaced by darker moods.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... e-22708865

:Waaaah:
I'm guessing this article is completely made up.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Wait did someone just claim that Peter Hitchens was a Liberal?

Wow.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Maybe confusing him with his dead brother.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Nope. Just the stupid again.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:39 pm I'm guessing this article is completely made up.
Hey, it's the Mirror. :mrgreen:

More very sad news from the cash-strapped UK elites:
Queen to receive government ‘bailout’ to top up income after Crown Estate hit by economic slump

‘This royal bailout will be tough to stomach for people who love the Queen but have lost their jobs,’ says Tax Justice UK

Boris Johnson’s government has confirmed it will top up the Queen’s income following a significant slump in the Crown Estate’s revenue during the coronavirus crisis.

The royal family takes in rental receipts from shops in London’s Regent Street, alongside malls and retail parks around the country – but the value of its portfolio has fallen by more than £500m since the pandemic hit.

The Treasury said it would provide the estate with extra money to meet any shortfall in profits and make sure the Queen’s sovereign grant remains at its current level.

“In the event of a reduction in the Crown Estate’s profits, the sovereign grant is set at the same level as the previous year,” a spokesperson said told The Independent.

“The revenue from the Crown Estate helps pay for our vital public services – over the last 10 years it has returned a total of £2.8bn to the Exchequer. The sovereign grant funds the official business of the monarchy, and does not provide a private income to any member of the royal family.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 72508.html
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:24 am
Hotarubi wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:39 pm I'm guessing this article is completely made up.
Hey, it's the Mirror. :mrgreen:

More very sad news from the cash-strapped UK elites:
Queen to receive government ‘bailout’ to top up income after Crown Estate hit by economic slump

‘This royal bailout will be tough to stomach for people who love the Queen but have lost their jobs,’ says Tax Justice UK

Boris Johnson’s government has confirmed it will top up the Queen’s income following a significant slump in the Crown Estate’s revenue during the coronavirus crisis.

The royal family takes in rental receipts from shops in London’s Regent Street, alongside malls and retail parks around the country – but the value of its portfolio has fallen by more than £500m since the pandemic hit.

The Treasury said it would provide the estate with extra money to meet any shortfall in profits and make sure the Queen’s sovereign grant remains at its current level.

“In the event of a reduction in the Crown Estate’s profits, the sovereign grant is set at the same level as the previous year,” a spokesperson said told The Independent.

“The revenue from the Crown Estate helps pay for our vital public services – over the last 10 years it has returned a total of £2.8bn to the Exchequer. The sovereign grant funds the official business of the monarchy, and does not provide a private income to any member of the royal family.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 72508.html
Do not care. It's not a bailout because the vast majority of the dividends of the CRE have been going into taxpayer coffers for years. Brenda gets about 5% of something that is, essentially, hers.

People tend not to research that.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Hotarubi wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:00 am
Do not care. It's not a bailout because the vast majority of the dividends of the CRE have been going into taxpayer coffers for years. Brenda gets about 5% of something that is, essentially, hers.

Hers because she inherited it. Or rather, isn't it "crown property" rather than her personal property?

I understand your point, but I also believe that most of the property owned by the crown was accumulated over centuries by the labours of others. In the past, the sovereign received taxes from the people and used the wealth received to accumulate property, including palaces and other estates, the crown jewels, works of art and so on. So it's her's in a sense but it was paid for mostly by the taxes of others in times past. In that sense, 5% may be very generous. I do understand though that being the monarch is a job that comes with some responsibilities and duties.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:37 am
Hotarubi wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:00 am

Hers because she inherited it. Or rather, isn't it "crown property" rather than her personal property?

I understand your point, but I also believe that most of the property owned by the crown was accumulated over centuries by the labours of others. In the past, the sovereign received taxes from the people and used the wealth received to accumulate property, including palaces and other estates, the crown jewels, works of art and so on. So it's her's in a sense but it was paid for mostly by the taxes of others in times past. In that sense, 5% may be very generous. I do understand though that being the monarch is a job that comes with some responsibilities and duties.
I'm no great fan of the monarchy, honestly,. I find it an archaic institution.

However, separating myself from a for/against argument it is a net benefit to UK PLC nd its populace financially, and then some. Theres no real argument on that front other than "Shes got more money than me and it's not fair."
I understand your point, but I also believe that most of the property owned by the crown was accumulated over centuries by the labours of others
Taking that argument to its logical conclusion, the entire population of the UK cannot complain as an obvious wedge of UKs wealth has been and still is accumulated by the labours and exploitation of the Empire. Which everyone benefits from.

Witness

Post by Witness »

But we can still laugh At the Crown's Expense™, right? (Would be a nice name for a pub…)
Hotarubi wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:25 am "Shes got more money than me and it's not fair."
Why do you hate Communism?

As we're at it:
Sir Jim Ratcliffe, UK's richest person, moves to tax-free Monaco

Brexiter Ineos boss, who has an estimated £17.5bn fortune, officially changes tax domicile

Sir Jim Ratcliffe, the UK’s richest person and high-profile Brexiter, has quit Britain for tax-free Monaco.

Ratcliffe, a petrochemicals magnate with an estimated £17.5bn fortune, has this week officially changed his tax domicile from Hampshire to Monaco, the sovereign city-state that is already home to many of the UK’s richest people.

It has been estimated that the move will save him £4bn in tax payments. People who live in Monaco for at least 183 days a year do not pay any income or property taxes. The highest tax rate in the UK is 45% on income above £150,000-a-year.

Before he left for Monaco, Ratcliffe was the UK’s third-highest individual taxpayer, paying £110m to the exchequer in 2017-18, according to the Sunday Times tax list.

His decision to quit Britain came soon after he was knighted by the Queen for “services to business and investment”, and the UK voted to leave the European Union.

Ratcliffe, the founder and chief executive of petrochemicals company Ineos, was an ardent supporter of the vote leave campaign, declaring that the UK would thrive without red tape from Brussels.

Ratcliffe, who owns 60% of Ineos, has seen his personal fortune increase from an estimated £9.5bn in January 2019 to £17.5bn today, according to the Bloomberg billionaires index. That estimated wealth has increased by £1.25bn so far this year alone, despite the coronavirus pandemic.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... s-domicile

Take that, destitute scum!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

17 billion!? is the richest in the UK? Peanuts.
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Witness wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:10 pm But we can still laugh At the Crown's Expense™, right? (Would be a nice name for a pub…)
Hotarubi wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:25 am "Shes got more money than me and it's not fair."
If Hotarubi is a UK taxpayer, it's Hotarubi's money.

It's not capitalism, that's for sure. :)

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Perfect occasion for a repost:

:mrgreen:
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:34 pm
Witness wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:10 pm But we can still laugh At the Crown's Expense™, right? (Would be a nice name for a pub…)
If Hotarubi is a UK taxpayer, it's Hotarubi's money.

It's not capitalism, that's for sure. :)

You are wrong, as has been detailed already.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

:roll:

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:10 pm Why do you hate Communism?
A great number of people are communist when other people are richer than them yet become capitalists when they have more than others.I just wish people would be more honest about it.

Also why lottery winners in the UK suddenly stop voting Labour.