The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: The UK thread

Post by Witness »

Cabinet Office to hire photographer in effort to level up government’s image

Advert for £60,000-a-year job says role is to ‘promote the work of ministers and the wider government visually’

Downing Street’s critics might argue that making the government look good at present is a tough task as it faces a bruising time, lurching from one Covid-related crisis to another. But No 10 is seemingly attempting to remedy the situation – by hiring a £60,000-a-year photographer.

A job advert posted by the Cabinet Office, which supports the prime minister, states that the job of the photographer will be to “promote the work of ministers and the wider government visually”.

In what could be a nod to the chaotic goings-on in government, it adds: “No two days will ever be the same in this role. One day you may accompany a cabinet minister on an international visit, working closely [with] press officers across Whitehall to deliver a series of coordinated announcements, and the next you will be working in the Cabinet Office producing innovative visual content.”

A key feature of the Whitehall-based role, whose holder will be paid a salary of between £54,700 and £60,635, will apparently involve out-of-hours working, including travelling domestically and overseas with ministers.

The successful candidate will “require a high level of tenacity, confidence and determination combined with a good news sense, a high degree of political awareness and exceptional relationship management skills”. As well as being “highly motivated”, the post holder will need to be “comfortable working autonomously in a high-pressure environment”, the advert states.

The photographer, who will work across departments, will be employed in addition to Boris Johnson’s in-house one. Earlier this year it emerged that the prime minister had hired a personal photographer at taxpayers’ expense. Andrew Parsons, who had previously been employed by the then prime minister David Cameron and was taken off the public payroll in 2010 amid criticism of so-called “vanity staff”, was appointed as a media special adviser in January. Separately, Parson’s firm, Parsons Media, received four payments totalling £45,525.25 from the Conservatives for work during last year’s general election, electoral commission figures show.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ents-image

Lipstick.

Given the working conditions, £60,000-a-year seems cheapo.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Murderer Who Wielded Narwhal Tusk to Stop Terrorist Gets Royal Pardon

Queen Elizabeth II approved a rare form of clemency for an inmate who used a whale tusk to help end a deadly terrorist attack near London Bridge last year.

LONDON — Queen Elizabeth II has approved a rare royal pardon for an inmate convicted of murder who used a narwhal tusk to help stop a terrorist attack in which two people were killed before the assailant was killed by the police on London Bridge.

The decision to pardon the murderer, Steven Gallant, was in recognition of “his exceptionally brave actions,” which “helped save people’s lives despite the tremendous risk to his own,” a spokeswoman for the Ministry of Justice said in a statement on Monday. If a parole board approves, Mr. Gallant’s minimum 17-year sentence would be reduced by 10 months.

The attack in November 2019 began at a prisoner rehabilitation conference when a former inmate in attendance stabbed and killed two young rehabilitation advocates, Jack Merritt and Saskia Jones, and fled before eventually being subdued on London Bridge. Three others were also injured before the assailant, Usman Khan, 28, was fatally shot by police. Mr. Khan had served eight years for a terrorism-related offense but had been released in December 2018.

Mr. Gallant, who was imprisoned in 2005, was among a crowd of people who banded together to take the assailant down with an unconventional weapon: the narwhal tusk, which had been a wall decoration at Fishmongers’ Hall, the historic building that hosted the conference. He was in the hall for the day on a prison day-release program when he heard noises and saw injured people.

He found Mr. Khan holding two large knives and wearing a fake bomb around his waist. “He was a clear danger to all, so I didn’t hesitate,” Mr. Gallant said, in a statement in January.

He used a chair and the tusk, passed to him by a civil servant, to confront the attacker, chasing him onto London Bridge and helping restrain him before police arrived. Male narwhals, a species of whale, have a single straight tusk that can grow up to nine feet long; this one was about five feet.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/19/worl ... ardon.html
Giz

Post by Giz »

A ‘gallant‘ action.

But should we be rewarding convicted murderers for impulsively violent actions?
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Giz wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:21 am A ‘gallant‘ action.

But should we be rewarding convicted murderers for impulsively violent actions?
Holding a chair seems more of a defend/subdue action rather than going "Mr Stabby" with the tusk.

Benefit of the doubt.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Foulness Island UK. 8)

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2020/10/b ... -path.html

The grandfather of the current Lord Foulness went to school with King George VI. :notsure:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:07 pm Foulness Island UK. 8)

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2020/10/b ... -path.html

The grandfather of the current Lord Foulness went to school with King George VI. :notsure:
Fugla næsse

Dipshit.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

I'm supposed to know Old Norse or whatever that language is? :lmao:

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Olde Anglic or more accurately Anglo-Frisian.

It's the mother tongue ov wot u speaksz.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... os-3010681

The Chop: why Lee Mack’s Sky History TV show has been removed as contestant Darren Lumsden is accused of having ‘Nazi tattoos’
Viewers were quick to point out that the tattoos on the contestants face could have links to Nazism
By Rhona Shennan
Wednesday, 21st October 2020, 2:27 pm

Sky History has pulled its new woodworking series, The Chop, to investigate a contestant, following claims that he had facial tattoos linked to Nazism and white supremacists.

This is everything you need to know about what happened.

What happened?

On Tuesday 20 October, Sky History released a clip from it’s new TV series called The Chop: Britain’s Top Woodworker.

The series, hosted by Lee Mack and Rick Edwards, travels around the UK looking for “Britain’s top woodworker”, and in the promotional clip released by the broadcaster, it introduced a heavily tattooed contestant called Darren Lumsden.

The clip was released on Twitter, with Sky History writing: “Meet the Woodman, the Bloke-With-All-The-Tattoos or Darren as we like to call him. #TheChop.”

However, viewers were quick to point out that many of the tattoos featured on Lumsden’s face had links to white supremacist and neo-Nazi symbolism.

Many viewers took to Twitter to raise their concerns with Sky History over Lumsden’s tattoos.

One person wrote: “Hey Sky History, I get you’re barely a history channel anymore but maybe do your homework on who you get on yeah? There’s a few red flags there…”

Another tweeted: “Are you for real? The bloke has Nazi tattoos on his face ffs. Sky ‘History’ indeed. Morons.”

Historian Elizabeth Boyle also tweeted: “WHAT THE F**K @HistoryUK? I can see at least five recognised Nazi/white power tattoos on this guy’s face. Get him off the f***ing TV right now. #antiracism.”

A spokesperson for the Campaign Against Antisemitism said: “Sky History has made a terrible mistake by including in ‘The Chop’ an individual adorned with what appear to be neo-Nazi tattoos without providing serious evidence to show that the tattoos mean something other than how they appear.

“If Sky History is indeed ‘intolerant of racism’ as it claims, then it must urgently provide a credible clarification or remove the contestant from the programme.”

What has Sky History said?

Initially, Sky History said in a statement: “Darren’s tattoos denote significant events in his life, and have no political or ideological meaning whatsoever. Amongst the various numerical tattoos on his body, 1988 is the year of his father's death.

“The production team carried out extensive background checks on all the woodworkers taking part in the show, that confirmed Darren has no affiliations or links to racist groups, views or comments.

“Sky History is intolerant of racism and all forms of hatred and any use of symbols or numbers is entirely incidental and not meant to cause harm or offence.”

This statement was initially issued via the Sky History Twitter account, however these tweets have since been removed.

The current statement that Sky History has issued, and is pinned to the top of the Twitter account, states: “While we investigate the nature & meaning of Darren’s tattoos we have removed the video featuring him from our social media, & will not be broadcasting any eps of The Chop until we have concluded that investigation.

“Sky History stands against racism & hate speech of all kinds.”

What could the tattoos mean?

While Lumsden had stated that the 88 on his face signifies 1988, the year of his father's death, various tattoos on his face coincide with symbols commonly used by neo-Nazis and white supremacists.

The Anti Defamation League (ADL) states that the number 88 is a “white supremacist numerical code for ‘Heil Hitler’” as H is the eight letter of the alphabet - therefore 88 equals HH which stands for Heil Hitler.

On the side of Lumsden’s head are a few other tattooed numbers which appear in white supremacist imagery. The numbers 23 and 16 typically stand for “White Power” using the same numerical code as before - 23 (W) and 16 (P).

On his scalp, there appears to be a number 14 tattooed, which the ADL explains is used by white supremacists “as a shorthand reference to the so-called ‘14 Words’, which is the most popular white supremacist slogan in the world”.

The slogan, coined by David Lane, a member of the white supremancist terrorist group, The Order, says: “We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children.”

On the side of Lundem’s nose appears to be a Sig rune, which the Nazis used to symbolise victory. Neo-Nazis use these symbols to signify the SS, and they are often mistaken for lightning bolts.

Prior to his appearance on the show, carpenter Lumsden spoke to Bristol Live about his tattoos.

He said: “I had other tattoos already, but about 10 years ago I saw someone with facial tattoos and started to work with my tattooist on my look.

“I have my daughter on the back of my head, and my son on my cheek. When some people first meet me, they are a bit shocked, admittedly. But they soon warm to me after a few minutes.”

He added that he had never had a negative reaction to his tattoos.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Never outgrew drawing on himself when he was a kid, eh?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Witness

Post by Witness »

UK government refuses to assist Police Scotland investigation into US torture and rendition

The Foreign Secretary has refused to assist a Police Scotland investigation into the use of Scottish airports to facilitate rendition and torture.

Dominic Raab ruled out asking the US government to release evidence held in the unredacted version of a Senate investigation into the CIA’s torture and rendition programme, in response to requests from Justice Secretary Humza Yousaf.

Mr Raab, in July of this year, formally requested that the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office make representations to the US government over the unredacted US Senate’s torture report.

Police Scotland have been investigating the use of Scottish airports to facilitate torture and rendition in 2013, and the Lord Advocate in 2014 ordered them to examine potentially vital evidence held in the US Senate report.

Mr Yousaf’s request to Westminster follows years of campaigning by MSPs over concern about the use of Scottish airports in CIA rendition flights, including calls in February of this year from a cross-party group of MSPs to make sure police get to the bottom of what happened.

In his letter, Mr Yousaf states: “We have, in the past, sought confirmation that UK airports were not used for extraordinary rendition flights, and that assurance was found to be inaccurate when the US government finally disclosed the use of Diego Garcia for one such flight. I am therefore inclined to seek the report itself, which should be a true and accurate picture, than to seek verbal assurances.”
https://www.scottishlegal.com/article/u ... endition?=
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

The British army are being drafted in to Tier Three areas to enforce coronavirus restrictions
Daily Fail
  • Army and Navy environmental health officers deployed in Liverpool on Friday
  • Tasked with identifying clusters of local infections and helping control outbreaks
  • Further teams will be moved into other high-risk areas within the coming weeks
The British Army are being drafted in to help enforce coronavirus restrictions in Tier 3 areas as the UK continues to battle the second wave of the pandemic.

Five Army and Navy environmental health officers trained in 'outbreak management' were deployed in Liverpool on Friday.

They have been tasked with identifying clusters of local infections, helping control outbreaks and taking action against businesses failing to comply with the Covid-19 rules.

It is thought that further teams will be moved into other high-risk areas within the coming weeks.

The move comes after the UK recorded 23,012 new infections and 174 more deaths in the past 24 hours.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Falklands celebrates completion of demining with a symbolic “Reclaim the Beach”

On Saturday 14 November 2020, the Falkland Islands community will be taking part in celebrations to mark the completion of the Islands-wide demining program after 38 years since the end of the 1982 conflict. The Falklands' Government has announced that activities will begin with an event to officially reopen Gypsy Cove/Yorke Bay, the final area of the Falklands to officially be declared mine-free.
https://en.mercopress.com/2020/10/24/fa ... -the-beach

I hope they've done a good job: the brother of one of my friends lost a leg to one of these things on a French beach. :|

In other news:
Free school meals: Rashford praises local communities as petition for government support nears one million

England footballer Marcus Rashford has praised local communities for stepping in to provide free meals to children during the school holidays, as hundreds of thousands of people signed petitions in favour of government paying for meals and against using public money to subsidise MPs’ food and drink.

Councils, including Conservative-run bodies, announced half-term stop-gap measures, and at least 750 restaurants and other food businesses rallied to support the viral campaign against child hunger.

Among the local authorities pledging help was Conservative-controlled Hillingdon council, in Boris Johnson’s constituency of Uxbridge and South Ruislip.

A petition against using public money to support MPs’ food costs had received 740,000 signatures by Saturday night.

And Rashford’s government petition had received more than 750,000. Chef-turned-anti-waste campaigner Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall urged people to sign to get the number of names past a million.

Councils, tea rooms, churches, farms and takeaways all publicly offered to help provide children with food during half-term. Rashford, 22, said he was "truly overwhelmed" by the support his campaign has received.

MPs voted this week against extending the free school meals scheme over the Christmas holidays, prompting uproar among much of the public. Ministers say they have given councils £63m for families facing financial difficulties caused by pandemic restrictions.

The petition against public money for MPs' meals calls for “an end to the practice of paying expenses to MPs for food and drink”, and for parliamentary establishments to sell food and drink “at market rates”.

Under current rules, MPs can claim up for food and non-alcoholic drinks when staying outside of London and their constituency, with a limit of up to £25 per night.

Catering services across the House of Commons are not directly subsidised, but do operate at a loss in total, with figures showing they cost the Commons £2.6m in the 2018-2019 financial year.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 60071.html

Hope it bites them in the ass. :mrgreen:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Halloween drive-in cinema event in chaos as screen is in England but toilets are locked-down over the border in Wales

Chester arts centre, The Storyhouse, is desperately trying to find a new venue for the Halloween movie night

The Storyhouse's Moonlight Drive-In is planning to show Halloween films like Hocus Pocus, Halloween and Beetlejuice, but it turns out that the Welsh border runs right through the middle of the stadium car park.

While both the screen and loos were intended to be on the Welsh side, after the fire-break lockdown was announced for Wales - from Friday, October 23 to Monday, November 9 - organisers decided to move the cinema screen to the English half of the car park.

However, this still leaves the toilet facilities on the locked down Welsh side of the site - and organisers now fear they may have to cancel the event.

But if it does go ahead, police will be in attendance to ensure film-goers don't stray over the border.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/ ... d-19148223
Giz

Post by Giz »

Witness wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:12 am
Halloween drive-in cinema event in chaos as screen is in England but toilets are locked-down over the border in Wales

Chester arts centre, The Storyhouse, is desperately trying to find a new venue for the Halloween movie night

The Storyhouse's Moonlight Drive-In is planning to show Halloween films like Hocus Pocus, Halloween and Beetlejuice, but it turns out that the Welsh border runs right through the middle of the stadium car park.

While both the screen and loos were intended to be on the Welsh side, after the fire-break lockdown was announced for Wales - from Friday, October 23 to Monday, November 9 - organisers decided to move the cinema screen to the English half of the car park.

However, this still leaves the toilet facilities on the locked down Welsh side of the site - and organisers now fear they may have to cancel the event.

But if it does go ahead, police will be in attendance to ensure film-goers don't stray over the border.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/ ... d-19148223
The old joke “ Heaven Is Where The Police Are British, The Cooks Are French, The Mechanics German, The Lovers Italian And It's All Organised By The Swiss ” is definitely kaput (at least as far as the British police)
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Nice to see Our Colonies have persisted in their failure to achieve toilet functions that were state-of-the-art . . . in 1973.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Witness

Post by Witness »

Giz wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:17 am The old joke “ Heaven Is Where The Police Are British, The Cooks Are French, The Mechanics German, The Lovers Italian And It's All Organised By The Swiss ” is definitely kaput (at least as far as the British police)
There's a similar joke about Alsatians (who were alternatively under French or German rule):
An Alsatian dies and is sent to hell. The demon at the front desk asks:
– German hell or French hell?
– What's the difference?
– German hell, you get pierced with pikes, dragged over burning coals and then boiled in tar.
– Gasp! And the French one?
– Same, pikes, coals, tar.
– So what should I choose?
– Between you and me, take the French.
– Why's that?
– Well, one day they will have misplaced the pikes, another forgot to light the coals, or the tar demons will be on strike for better working conditions.
Witness

Post by Witness »