The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: The UK thread

Post by Witness »

↑ & ↑↑: A pity the UK hasn't an empire anymore. :mrgreen:

But important measures are taken:
Boris Johnson to launch ‘Union task force’ to ’emblazon a Union Jack’ on every policy

The Prime Minister Boris Johnson will launch a new ‘Union task force’ to make the ’emotional’ case for the UK.

The new task force will consist of Conservative MPs from England, Wales and Scotland, according to the Financial Times.

One senior Scottish Tory MP told the newspaper: “We have to make sure the union is at the heart of everything we do, every policy needs to have a Union Jack emblazoned on it.”

While the main ail will be to encourage Scotland to stay in the union – where recent polls show a majority for independence – it will also focus on Wales too.

The plan will include new No 10 press secretary Allegra Stratton broadcasting from the devolved nations.
https://nation.cymru/news/boris-johnson ... ry-policy/
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:40 am ↑ & ↑↑: A pity the UK hasn't an empire anymore. :mrgreen:

Actually it does. It's just not called "Empire" which is too non-PC.

"British Overseas Territories" my boy. Which consists of small, pointless insignificant rocks miles from anywhere in the middle of oceans e.g. Tristan da Cuhna, Falklands, Pitcairn Island and New Zealand.

Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Witness

Post by Witness »

:mean:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Windrush victim refused British citizenship despite wrongful passport confiscation

Former teacher Ken Morgan’s passport was confiscated as he travelled back from funeral in Jamaica in 1994

A former English teacher who was blocked for 25 years from returning to his home in Britain after his passport was wrongly confiscated has been ruled ineligible for British citizenship due to the length of his absence from the UK.

Ken Morgan, 70, described the decision as a “ridiculous catch-22”, and said the sole reason he was absent for such a protracted period was because he was barred by British officials from travelling to the UK. He has requested a review.

Morgan moved aged 10 from Jamaica to the UK in 1960, before Jamaican independence, travelling on a British passport. He attended school in London and lived and worked in the UK for more than 30 years until 1994 when he travelled to a relative’s funeral in Jamaica. On his way back to London he was stopped at check-in and his passport confiscated.

He was unable to persuade officials at the British high commission that they had made a mistake, and he remained stuck in Jamaica for a quarter of a century until the Windrush scandal broke, when British diplomats called him out of the blue to offer him a temporary visa to allow him to travel back to the UK. He applied for British citizenship in 2018, during his first visit home.

His application was rejected, after a delay of almost two years, on the grounds that he had been out of the country on a date five years before he made the application (at a time when he was barred from being in the UK because of the decision to confiscate his passport), and that he had spent more than 450 days out of the country during the application period (a period when he was not allowed to be in the UK).
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... nfiscation
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:27 pm
Windrush victim refused British citizenship despite wrongful passport confiscation

Former teacher Ken Morgan’s passport was confiscated as he travelled back from funeral in Jamaica in 1994

A former English teacher who was blocked for 25 years from returning to his home in Britain after his passport was wrongly confiscated has been ruled ineligible for British citizenship due to the length of his absence from the UK.

Ken Morgan, 70, described the decision as a “ridiculous catch-22”, and said the sole reason he was absent for such a protracted period was because he was barred by British officials from travelling to the UK. He has requested a review.

Morgan moved aged 10 from Jamaica to the UK in 1960, before Jamaican independence, travelling on a British passport. He attended school in London and lived and worked in the UK for more than 30 years until 1994 when he travelled to a relative’s funeral in Jamaica. On his way back to London he was stopped at check-in and his passport confiscated.

He was unable to persuade officials at the British high commission that they had made a mistake, and he remained stuck in Jamaica for a quarter of a century until the Windrush scandal broke, when British diplomats called him out of the blue to offer him a temporary visa to allow him to travel back to the UK. He applied for British citizenship in 2018, during his first visit home.

His application was rejected, after a delay of almost two years, on the grounds that he had been out of the country on a date five years before he made the application (at a time when he was barred from being in the UK because of the decision to confiscate his passport), and that he had spent more than 450 days out of the country during the application period (a period when he was not allowed to be in the UK).
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... nfiscation
I get the feeling the full story is not contained in this article. The passport would not have been confiscated in 1994 without good reason. Pre 9/11 he would have had to have a picture of a white blonde geriatric dwarf on the ID page to be flagged at customs.

Edit: The passport was confiscated for "not being real." Morgan's words in 2018.

If UK Border Control says the the passport isnt real. You bet your goddam life It isnt real. I have Sympathy for Mr Morgan. I'm guessing he wanted a passport in a hurry and it backfired.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Ah, so he tried to be uber-smart, and failed. :roll:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Charles Darwin's notebooks reported stolen from Cambridge University

Library staff believed manuscripts were ‘mis-shelved’ in 2000 but now think theft likely

Two Charles Darwin manuscripts have been reported as stolen from Cambridge University library two decades after they were last seen.

Staff believed the precious items had been “mis-shelved” within the vast archives late in 2000 and the matter was not reported to Cambridgeshire police until 20 October this year. The force said it has launched an investigation and notified Interpol.

It is difficult to estimate the value of the notebooks, given their unique nature, but it would probably run into many millions of pounds, the library said.

The two notebooks, including Darwin’s seminal 1837 Tree of Life sketch, were removed from storage to be photographed at the library’s photographic unit, where the work was recorded as completed in November 2000.

During a subsequent routine check in January 2001 it was found that the small blue box containing the notebooks had not been returned to its proper place.

Dr Jessica Gardner, university librarian and director of library services since 2017, said: “My predecessors genuinely believed that what had happened was that these had been mis-shelved or misfiled and they took forward extensive searches over the years in that genuine belief.

“Now we have completely reviewed as a new team what happened and come to a conclusion that that’s not a sufficient position or set of actions to take.”

She said that “extensive building work” was taking place at the library at the time that the items were found to be missing.

There have been continuous searches since the notebooks went missing, she said, and it is now thought “likely that theft occurred”. Gardner reported the matter to the police.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... university

Took them long enough! :mrgreen:
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Yeah, not like they were worth anything.

Anyway he nicked all his ideas from his dad.

Giz

Post by Giz »

Witness wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:32 am
Charles Darwin's notebooks reported stolen from Cambridge University

Library staff believed manuscripts were ‘mis-shelved’ in 2000 but now think theft likely

Two Charles Darwin manuscripts have been reported as stolen from Cambridge University library two decades after they were last seen..

“Now we have completely reviewed as a new team what happened and come to a conclusion that that’s not a sufficient position or set of actions to take.”
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... university

Took them long enough! :mrgreen:
I have to be a copy editor again. Obviously she meant to say:

“Now we have completely reviewed as a new team what happened and our conclusions have evolved”
Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:30 am Anyway he nicked all his ideas from his dad.
Ah? Thought it was from Erasmus. (Who created the Lunar society so the members could get back home safely by the light of the full moon. :) )
Witness

Post by Witness »

Giz wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:28 pm I have to be a copy editor again.
It's hopeless (like orthography); at least I have given up. One of my friends who taught mathematics at Dijon University told me he didn't read the French in students' papers anymore, only the equations, as it was too painful.

There is the expression "langue de bois" (literally "wooden tongue") for the art of saying nothing but with buzzwords, which also applies here.

Oh well, we are dinosaurs.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image