The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: The UK thread

Post by Witness »

Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson arrested along with four others in police probe

City leader one of five men arrested as part of an investigation into building and development contracts in Liverpool

The elected Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, has been arrested.

The city leader was arrested earlier today by Merseyside Police along with four other men in connection with offences of bribery and witness intimidation as part of an investigation into building and development contracts in Liverpool.

Detectives made arrests at addresses throughout the city as well as Ormskirk and Southport.

The arrests are part of "an ongoing investigation", police said today.
The Labour Party politician has led the city since 2010 and has been Mayor since 2012.

Last year he secured the Labour Party selection to run to be Mayor of the city for a third term at May's delayed elections.

A Liverpool City Council spokesperson said: “Liverpool City Council is co-operating with Merseyside Police in relation to its ongoing investigation. We do not comment on matters relating to individuals.”
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... d-19399231
Giz

Post by Giz »

Only one sentence is appropriate: hard labour
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Wolf whistling to become a HATE crime: Police force starts recording 'uninvited verbal engagement' from men to women in the same category as racist abuse
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... abuse.html

Read something about the uk coppers keeping records of "hate" remark's made by individuals in perpetuity and some chick suing .... gotta look but it was sorta scary.

Who do the cops answer to?
This space for let
Witness

Post by Witness »

Re. Kunts Punk, I appreciate the motivation but can't stand the noise. Could we have it in the style of Dowland or Monteverdi, pretty please? (There is a Bach cantata out there somewhere with lyrics starting with "Property is theft", &c.) :mrgreen:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Monolith discovered on Isle of Wight similar to ones found in US and Romania

https://news.sky.com/story/monolith-dis ... a-12153495

They are coming.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:00 am Re. Kunts Punk, I appreciate the motivation but can't stand the noise. Could we have it in the style of Dowland or Monteverdi, pretty please? (There is a Bach cantata out there somewhere with lyrics starting with "Property is theft", &c.) :mrgreen:
I think the Kunts Punk manage to get the ambience of an Overcast dawn, windy, last of the leaves bown off in the night's storm. Clouds moving fast, you move like a snail in contrast. You happen upon a gingerbread cottage and stumble in for something warm. It's a ramshackle pub. Inside, an avant-savant pop band weaves bittersweet melodies with untuned guitars and bassoon and saw and sandal and grass. The singer is warbling something sad, you think, he's foreign. You walk up to the bar and ask for something hot, and the drunk next to you thinks it's some sort of compliment and rests his heavy drunken arm around your shoulder. There's nothing lascivious about it, it's just a fuzzy, deep sense of camaraderie. "Those them there guys," the drunk slurs, "they pooled together their thirteen bucks and formed a band." Basking in the drunk's hot breath, everything makes sense, though you haven't deciphered a thing. Turning to watch the performance, you realize the space is so intimate the singer's been breathing down your neck the whole time. The musk is tempered by the alcohol-laden sweetness. Eventually it has to come to an end, and you leave. The wind's blown the clouds away, finally. You feel vaguely cradled. It isn't until later, much later, do you find a Watchtower stuffed in your back pocket.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:40 am
Witness wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:00 am Re. Kunts Punk, I appreciate the motivation but can't stand the noise. Could we have it in the style of Dowland or Monteverdi, pretty please? (There is a Bach cantata out there somewhere with lyrics starting with "Property is theft", &c.) :mrgreen:
I think the Kunts Punk manage to get the ambience of an Overcast dawn, windy, last of the leaves bown off in the night's storm. Clouds moving fast, you move like a snail in contrast. You happen upon a gingerbread cottage and stumble in for something warm. It's a ramshackle pub. Inside, an avant-savant pop band weaves bittersweet melodies with untuned guitars and bassoon and saw and sandal and grass. The singer is warbling something sad, you think, he's foreign. You walk up to the bar and ask for something hot, and the drunk next to you thinks it's some sort of compliment and rests his heavy drunken arm around your shoulder. There's nothing lascivious about it, it's just a fuzzy, deep sense of camaraderie. "Those them there guys," the drunk slurs, "they pooled together their thirteen bucks and formed a band." Basking in the drunk's hot breath, everything makes sense, though you haven't deciphered a thing. Turning to watch the performance, you realize the space is so intimate the singer's been breathing down your neck the whole time. The musk is tempered by the alcohol-laden sweetness. Eventually it has to come to an end, and you leave. The wind's blown the clouds away, finally. You feel vaguely cradled. It isn't until later, much later, do you find a Watchtower stuffed in your back pocket.
Ow! Stealing too, are we? :De_Bunk:
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

:mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Scottish clan chief plans to rewild his Isle of Skye estate with 370,000 native trees, red squirrels and beavers to transform island from man-made moonscape
  • Hugh MacLeod hopes to overhaul the 'lunarscape' surrounding Dunvegan Castle
  • Some 371,875 broadleaves to be planted on the MacLeod Estate on Isle of Skye
  • Project was awarded £1million grant from the Scottish Government and the EU
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... trees.html for details & pics.

Bye-bye EU grants. :twisted:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Peer who thinks being gay is a ‘disease’ suspended from House of Lords after shocking tirades about ‘queers’ and ‘homos’

Lord Maginnis, the peer accused of bullying gay MPs and ranting about “homos”, has been officially suspended from the House of Lords after his colleagues voted to eject him.

The politician, a form MP for Northern Ireland's Unionist Party, was suspended from the unelected upper chamber on Monday (7 December) as peers voted by 408 to 24 to back a report concluding his abusive conduct and use of homophobic language breached rules on bullying and harassment.

The 24 peers who voted against the suspension include the avowedly anti-LGBT+ former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey, hereditary peer The Earl of Sandwich, and former Telegraph editor Charles Moore, who was handed a peerage by Boris Johnson earlier this year.

The suspension from the chamber is specified as for a “minimum of 18 months”. However, Maginnis is unlikely to ever return to the chamber, as he has said he will not take undertake “a designated course of bespoke behaviour change training and coaching” as specified by Lords conduct authorities.
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/12/07/h ... ers-homos/
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:16 am
Piers' GMTV slot earns 8 x what Matt Hancock earns and twice as much as his female co host.

Just for Perspective.

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Still fun to watch him squirm.

DWP: Tories to reduce benefits of NHS staff who accept Scottish £500 payment

THE Tories will take back benefits from low-paid health workers if they receive the Scottish Government’s £500 thank-you payment, it has emerged.

Nicola Sturgeon announced NHS and care staff would receive the one-off payment to thank them for their efforts during the Covid-19 pandemic.

It has now emerged that for workers who receive Universal Credit, their benefit amount will be reduced if they accept the Scottish Government cash.

The decision has been described as “cruel” and “Scrooge-like”.

Responding to SNP MP Neil Gray, DWP minister Will Quince confirmed the thank-you cash would be classed as “earnings” – so Universal Credit payments would be “tapered”.

It comes after the UK Government refused to make the £500 payment tax-free.

The First Minister had urged Chancellor Rishi Sunak to let “our health and care heroes keep every penny of Scotland’s thank you to them”.

Reacting to the latest Universal Credit decision, Gray said: "The Tory Government should be ashamed.

“Instead of taking money away from our NHS and care workers, the Tory Government should follow Scotland's lead and ensure workers across the UK get the recognition they deserve."
https://www.thenational.scot/news/18934 ... 0-payment/
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Hotarubi wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:12 pm
Witness wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:16 am
Piers' GMTV slot earns 8 x what Matt Hancock earns and twice as much as his female co host.

Just for Perspective.
What a twat. Will Piers volunteer to have his pay cut?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

BRITAIN'S GOT RACISTS

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/amphtml/vica ... 29915.html

OFCOM receives 100+ complaints about a reference in the episode to George Floyd and BLM...before it has even aired.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Still ever understood the animosity towards the first woman PM of GB and NI.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Hotarubi wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:43 am BRITAIN'S GOT RACISTS

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/amphtml/vica ... 29915.html

OFCOM receives 100+ complaints about a reference in the episode to George Floyd and BLM...before it has even aired.
And more:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... scene.html

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

More:
https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/12/ ... acism/amp/

Millwall Fans Boo The Taking Of A Knee As Fans Return To Stadiums But So Does Racism

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Followed a week later by the most awesome of trollings:

https://talksport.com/football/801482/q ... s-den/amp/

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

I tell you, she's fucking immortal.

She's carrying a fuck off sword behind her to decapitate Keith Richards.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Something to delight Hotarubi:
Welsh is the fastest growing language being learned in the UK, says Duolingo

Language-learning platform Duolingo found that Welsh attracted a higher rate of new learners than any other language among users in 2020

Ardderchog - Welsh is the fastest growing language being learned in the UK.

According to language learning website and app Duolingo, the number of people wanting to "siarad Cymraeg" has shot up by 44% in 2020 in the past year.

It ranks above Hindi in second, Japanese in third, Turkish in fourth and French in fifth.

And its not just in the UK that where people's curiosity has been sparked either. There are currently 1.5 million users worldwide using Duolingo to learn Welsh as well.

That means, overall, Wales' mother tongue ranks in ninth place - ahead of Portuguese in tenth and behind Chinese in eighth.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... h-19472264
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Actually I'm pleased because what actually annoyed me is that my tv license fee goes on giving that grot their own channel in their own language, when only 11% of the fetid population speaks the fucking thing fluently.

Anyway, they all smell of chicken nugget batter.

ed

Post by ed »

Hotarubi wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:38 am I tell you, she's fucking immortal.

She's carrying a fuck off sword behind her to decapitate Keith Richards.
Actually Keith is her portrait of Dorian Grey
This space for let
ed

Post by ed »

Witness wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:17 am Something to delight Hotarubi:
Welsh is the fastest growing language being learned in the UK, says Duolingo

Language-learning platform Duolingo found that Welsh attracted a higher rate of new learners than any other language among users in 2020

Ardderchog - Welsh is the fastest growing language being learned in the UK.

According to language learning website and app Duolingo, the number of people wanting to "siarad Cymraeg" has shot up by 44% in 2020 in the past year.

It ranks above Hindi in second, Japanese in third, Turkish in fourth and French in fifth.

And its not just in the UK that where people's curiosity has been sparked either. There are currently 1.5 million users worldwide using Duolingo to learn Welsh as well.

That means, overall, Wales' mother tongue ranks in ninth place - ahead of Portuguese in tenth and behind Chinese in eighth.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... h-19472264
shot up by 44%

So that makes, what, 23 users now?
This space for let
Witness

Post by Witness »

ed wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:05 pm So that makes, what, 23 users now?
If you had the Internet you could easily have checked that there are 1.5M registered Duolingo/Welsh users, 0.5M being active.

There are a tad over 0.5M speakers of the language. :mrgreen:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Jacob Rees-Mogg informs UNICEF that English kids don’t need help because they’re being so well fed by the food banks

Jacob Rees-Mogg has informed the pesky do-gooders at UNICEF that children in Plymouth don’t need their help as they’re all being so well-fed at the food banks.

Tory advisor and human empathy vacuum Simon Williams, said, “Don’t worry, UNICEF, we’ve completely thought this through. We were sat around in Cabinet a while back now and brainstormed a few ideas about what to put in our original manifesto when – and I’m very proud of this creativity – I myself suggested that we take away free school meals.

“At first there was quiet. But then I told them: ‘Don’t worry, none of them can vote!’

“At which point, every single minister – bar none – jumped to their feet shouting ‘YES!’ and applauded.

“Jacob Rees-Mogg even screamed ‘YUUURRRRR!’ really gutturally and fist-pumped as though he’d just watched Hasselhoff in Baywatch. I’ve literally never seen him so happy.

“Free school meals have disgracefully undermined the Conservative’s stance on poverty for the last few years. Which is, that we quite like it.

“We also very much like the ability to control those masses now that no-one believes in religion anymore, and this is critical in that respect.

“Our, and I use the term with the greatest of affection, ‘scumbag voters’ say that people who can afford to pay for school meals should do so, not realising that the Thatcher-era parents of today’s children are already lacking not only knowledge and experience of nutritious food but also massive amounts of calcium. Meaning they simply don’t have the strength to get to a Polling Station to protest.

“Don’t forget, poverty and ill-health attract disease and rats, which at least means it stays within those areas and doesn’t spread to my estate, which is the important thing in a Britain that’s fairer for everyone.

“Under the Tories, there is literally no such thing as a free lunch.”
https://newsthump.com/2020/12/17/jacob- ... ood-banks/

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Based on your profile, there are between 23,842,145 and 27,132,105 people in front of you in the queue for a COVID vaccine across the UK. Given a vaccination rate of 1,000,000 a week and an uptake of 70.6%, you should expect to receive your vaccine between 04/06/2021 and 27/06/2021.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ I'm an old fart, so the calculator scheduled me for February. Not bad (and take that, you young whippersnapper!).
Witness

Post by Witness »

Covid-19: Fake 'immunity booster' found on sale in London shops

Coronil, a herbal remedy from India, was found on sale in shops in predominantly Asian areas across the capital.

Manufacturers Patanjali Ayurved claim the pills protect against "respiratory tract infections".

Tests carried out for the BBC show the pills offer no protection from coronavirus.

A lab test of the drug carried out by Birmingham University for the BBC showed the pills contained plant-based ingredients which cannot protect against Covid-19.

Virologist Dr Maitreyi Shivkumar said the idea of "boosting" immunity makes no sense in terms of treating coronavirus.

"There are lots of nuances in how our immune system responds to the virus. We do not even know that heightening immunity helps," she said.

"It is unclear what Coronil is trying to do to the immune system."
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-55318095
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

I'm sure pleased its xmas, because we in Truedemocracynofiddlinginourelectionsplease Britland get to see the "Morecambe and Wise" breakfast sketch 17,943 times in the space of two weeks. Which, considering it wasnt all that funny to begin with, is always a pleasure.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Official Christmas Number 1 update: LadBaby retains strong lead with Don't Stop Me Eatin', while Boris Johnson protest song climbs into Top 10

Essex synthpop outfit The K**ts have been scaling the Official Singles Chart this week with their track about the prime minister, titled Boris Johnson is a F***ing C***. The 56-second song, backed by Charlie Brooker and original Sex Pistol Glen Matlock, has climbed to Number 6 and is currently the UK's second most-downloaded song of the week.
https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-ne ... 10__31917/
Witness

Post by Witness »

Hundreds of UK tourists flee Covid quarantine in Swiss ski resort

About half of the 420 visitors ordered to self-isolate left Verbier in ‘cloak and dagger’ operation

Hundreds of British tourists fled the upmarket Swiss ski resort of Verbier in a “cloak-and-dagger operation” this week, breaking quarantine rules retroactively put in place to contain the spread of the coronavirus variant first discovered in the UK.

Following the detection of the new mutation of Covid-19 in Britain, Swiss authorities announced on 21 December that all people who had arrived from the UK since 14 December would need to self-isolate for 10 days from their date of arrival.

The new quarantine rules also applied to hundreds of British tourists who had planned to spend the Christmas break in Verbier, an alpine village located in the municipality of Bagnes in Canton du Valais, nicknamed “Little London” by locals for the British visitors who make up 20% of tourists during a typical winter season.

Swiss authorities managed to track down 420 visitors from the UK, who were told go into quarantine.

However, according to a report in the Swiss newspaper SonntagsZeitung, at least half of these tourists fled the resort in “clandestine” fashion, with some later reporting back to their hotels from France.

“Many of them stayed in quarantine for a day before setting off under the cover of darkness,” said Jean-Marc Sandoz, communications officer for the Bagnes municipality.

Many hoteliers had only noticed their British guests’ departure after they failed to answer calls to their rooms or left meals deposited outside their rooms untouched.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... rt-verbier

:mrgreen:
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

We are British. The funny rules of the natives don't apply to us.

Witness

Post by Witness »

The British state confirms it is too weak and cowardly to stand up for its own

By TruePublica: The British state via the Foreign Office, headed up by Dominic Raab has confirmed that British citizens arrested overseas through no fault of their own have no right to the government’s assistance or protection, even if they are tortured or held as diplomatic leverage against their country.

In 2016, just before the EU referendum that led to Brexit, the British passport was the most powerful passport in the world according to the Global Passport Power Index. Today, it is ranked 18th behind countries such as Portugal and Greece with Germany, Sweden and Finland taking the top three positions for the first time in history.

Worse still, British citizens now find themselves in the unnerving position of knowing that the British passport, is in fact, now just a travel document but otherwise completely worthless.

The government also states that as a British passport holder you – “get consular assistance and protection from UK diplomatic posts.”

However, that status no longer exists. As at 28th December 2020, the government has now confirmed that British citizens overseas have “no legal right to consular assistance”, Sarah Broughton, the head of consular affairs at the Foreign Office, wrote in a letter obtained by The Times.

Under international law, Britain is entitled, at the very least, to consular access and ultimately to seek redress through the international legal system should a British subject be, for instance, falsely accused of a crime. But in a further admission, the government has also confirmed that where trumped-up charges imposed by a hostile state that then tortures a British subject – it no longer has any obligation to act at all. The government has confirmed that it will “no longer investigate mistreatment allegations.”

The question must now be asked – what is the purpose of any government if it fails in its primary duty to protect its own citizens? And this also leads on to Brexit – because the government pushed it as a question of sovereignty over the economics or even constitutional law.
https://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingd ... r-its-own/

The original Times article is behind paywall.
Witness

Post by Witness »

World’s first ‘human challenge COVID trials’ will see 2500 Brits deliberately catch virus

In a world first, 2500 brave Britons will be deliberately injected with COVID-19 as part of groundbreaking research into the killer virus.

The world’s first “human challenge COVID trials” will see 2500 hero Brits deliberately being infected with coronavirus for research.

The trial comes as new evidence shows that COVID-19 immunity for those suffering a mild version of the disease lasts at least four months, say experts.

Imperial College said its joint human challenge study involves volunteers aged 18 to 30, with the project starting in January – and results expected in May.

Initially, 90 volunteers will be given a dose of an experimental nasal vaccine.

They’ll then be deliberately infected with COVID-19.

Participants will be deliberately given the bug “in a secure bio-containment suite”, according to The Times.

The so-called human challenge study is used infrequently because of questions over the ethics of infecting otherwise healthy people.

However, the government announced the project back in October, saying, “the aim will be to discover the smallest amount of virus it takes to cause a person to develop COVID-19 infection.

“This is known as a virus characterisation study and will be backed by £33.6 million ($A59 million) of government investment.”

But it has taken a few months to come to fruition as before any research could begin, the study had to be approved by ethics committees and regulators.
https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavir ... d69e27aa3e
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Next week: 2500 Welsh bitten by radioactive rabid bats.

Not part of a test, I just want to see it happen.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

New Brexit deal deems Netscape Browser and Mozilla Mail as secure software.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55475433

Had me worried for a minute there.