The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Giz

Re: The UK thread

Post by Giz » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:14 am

Forward, the Slight Brigade!”
Was there a millenial dismayed?
Not though the snowflake knew
Someone had chundered.
Theirs not to post reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to hug and cry.
Into the valley of Micro-aggressions
Snowed the six hundred.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:35 am

"There are your puns!"

--Captain Lewis Edward Nolan

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:59 am

UK museums task staff with identifying 'stolen' colonial collections

Major institutions including the British Museum and V&A are working to reassess the provenance of some of their key objects brought to Britain from overseas under the Empire, to provide an honest assessment for visitors.

The collections have come under increasing pressure in recent years to acknowledge “stolen” items, facing calls to return star objects to their native countries.

The British Museum, which holds the Elgin marbles and Benin bronzes, has regularly emphasised the “great public benefit” of having such items on display in the context of its world collection, and its commitment to the safe-keeping of its treasures.

But, as a new generation of visitors demand answers, it, along with the V&A and the Pitt Riv
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... llections/

A section of the Elgin marbles.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Is British cooking "filthy muck"?

That is the expression used by George Orwell in describing the fare at the tripe shop lodging house where he stayed in Wigan.

At any rate, it is apparently the official policy of the British government, according to this article.

Will ‘Frenzied Hectoring’ by British Food Nannies Never End?
Reason

"The free-will question needs turning on its head," wrote Sonia Sodha in The Guardian last month. What does Sodha's upside-down willpower argument look like?

"There's no free choice about the [food] industry reshaping our tastes to benefit its profit margins without us even realizing," writes Sodha, who goes on to suggest that "some" "libertarians" "perhaps" share "a disdain for people just too greedy to leave some of their dinner on their plate." (I was taught to clean my plate and to avoid straw man arguments.)

OK the article does not say "filthy muck", that is just my interpretation. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:31 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:31 pm
describing the fare at the tripe shop lodging house where he stayed in Wigan.
Reminded me of Bill Tidy's Fosdyke saga:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:03 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:09 am

In a Nation of Ugly, they must celebrate what Beauty they can find.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:17 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:03 am

FTFY :)

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:31 pm
Is British cooking "filthy muck"?

That is the expression used by George Orwell in describing the fare at the tripe shop lodging house where he stayed in Wigan.

At any rate, it is apparently the official policy of the British government, according to this article.

Will ‘Frenzied Hectoring’ by British Food Nannies Never End?
Reason

"The free-will question needs turning on its head," wrote Sonia Sodha in The Guardian last month. What does Sodha's upside-down willpower argument look like?

"There's no free choice about the [food] industry reshaping our tastes to benefit its profit margins without us even realizing," writes Sodha, who goes on to suggest that "some" "libertarians" "perhaps" share "a disdain for people just too greedy to leave some of their dinner on their plate." (I was taught to clean my plate and to avoid straw man arguments.)

OK the article does not say "filthy muck", that is just my interpretation. 8)
I know you're an Orwell fan, Abdul, but he died in 1950 and times have changed. Do remember that Orwell was writing during the great depression, after the WW1 introduction of rationing, and through WW2 when rationing was reintroduced; it didn't finish until 1954. He also chose to immerse himself in the lives of the destitute and desperately poor, so don't rely on him for an accurate depiction of what most people ate at the time. Here's an interesting article about rationing from T3eh Grauniad about rationing, diet and health.
There can't be many people who would willingly return to the days of food shortages and rationing, but that doesn't usually stop our mums and grans fondly recalling the stodgy puddings, bread and dripping and shepherd's pies of their wartime diet. Today, as we tuck into ready-made curries and lasagne, it's tempting to smile smugly and think we all know what's good for us now. But as nutritional experts believe - and the Hymers family from Otley in Yorkshire can confirm - it may well be that Mum knows best.

Dieticians have long argued that wartime rationing provided the healthiest diet the British population has ever eaten, leading to dramatic post-war improvements in the nation's health. But now that ration books are consigned to museums, nutritionists still believe there are valuable lessons we can learn from the 40s diet that could help us beat the biggest threats to health today.
Filthy muck? Well, I'm not sure what your definition is. One of my grandfathers was an enthusiastic consumer of tripe and the other, (Welsh), loved boiled sheep brains. You won't find either in most supermarkets today but both are actually highly nutritious. My definition of modern "filthy muck" would include most takeaway food, pizza, ready meals packed with fat, added sugar and salt, sweets, crisps etc., all of which are helping to turn us into a nation of porkers!
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:32 pm

So the answer is -- Yes it's filthy muck, but it's not your grandfather's filthy muck. :coolspecs:

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:15 pm

The answer is -- there is no correct answer, because it's almost impossible to define what "British food" now is.

Here's Deliveroo's top ten most-ordered food in the UK, none of which are traditional favourites, like fish and chips.

Cheeseburger, Five Guys – London, UK
Boojum's Twojum, Boojum – Belfast, UK
Chicken Katsu Curry, wagamama – London, UK
Cheese 6oz American Cheeseburger, Gourmet Burger Kitchen – London, UK
Chicken Tinga Burrito, Mission Burrito – Bristol, UK
Medium Grilled Chicken Burrito, Tortilla – Brighton, UK
Crazy Salmon Roll, Kenji Sushi – Edinburgh, UK
Byron Burger, Byron – London, UK
Dead Hippie Burger™, MEATliquor – London, UK
Oahu Bowl, Ahi Poké – London, UK

That doesn't mean traditional British foods aren't still popular, just that there's been a huge increase in the range of food Brits regularly eat, even since I was a boy.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:40 pm

So bad British food nowadays is bad American food + curry. :BigGrin3:

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:46 pm

Heh. Curry has been around for so long that it pretty much is traditional British food and has evolved into something that often bears little resemblance to the food Indians eat. For example, you won't find many Hindus eating Beef Vindaloo, and Chicken Tikka Masala, another popular dish, was invented in Britain. :)

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:49 pm

Sort of like Chop Suey being 100% American. 8)

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:59 pm

I suppose so, yes.

The British Curry
by Debabrata Mukherjee

The UK now celebrates National Curry Week every October. Although curry is an Indian dish modified for British tastes, it’s so popular that it contributes more than £5bn to the British economy. Hence it was hardly surprising when in 2001, Britain’s foreign secretary Robin Cook referred to Chicken Tikka Masala as a “true British national dish”.

If Britain taught India how to play cricket, India perhaps returned the favour by teaching the British how to enjoy a hot Indian curry. By the 18th century, East India Company men (popularly called ‘nabobs’, an English corruption of the Indian word ‘nawab’ meaning governors or viceroys) returning home wanted to recreate a slice of their time spent in India. Those who couldn’t afford to bring back their Indian cooks satisfied their appetite at coffee houses. As early as 1733, curry was served in the Norris Street Coffee House in Haymarket. By 1784, curry and rice had become specialties in some popular restaurants in the area around London’s Piccadilly.
:)

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:53 pm

Anyway, excuse me for now, it's dinner time...

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:53 pm
Anyway, excuse me for now, it's dinner time...

FTFY HTH

BTW, fish sticks are an American favorite. :wink:

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:16 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:46 pm
Heh. Curry has been around for so long that it pretty much is traditional British food and has evolved into something that often bears little resemblance to the food Indians eat. For example, you won't find many Hindus eating Beef Vindaloo, and Chicken Tikka Masala, another popular dish, was invented in Britain. :)
Lucky man! Our local curry is:
– extremely bland (and sold as "strong", never tried the "mild" version, blargh!), so I have to add cayenne pepper;
– packaged in ridiculously small jars (33 g).

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:05 am

OK. Change of pace time.

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 pm

"A Scottish Labour councillor has been reinstated into the party after she was suspended for suggesting a joint front page by three Jewish newspapers condemning antisemitism was a Mossad bid to discredit Jeremy Corbyn."

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/scot ... r-1.478270

Because that is par for the course in Labour now.
Last edited by Giz on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.