The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ceptimus

Re: The UK thread

Post by ceptimus » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:59 pm

One of our MPs, Fiona Onasanya, might be wearing a tag while voting in parliament today. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... er-a-month
She was jailed for lying about a speeding offence, but for some unaccountable reason hasn't been sacked from her job as Member of Parliament yet.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:01 pm

Is it possible to be "sacked" other than losing an election?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:05 pm

According to the article, a prison sentence in excess of year results in immediate sacking, but she only got a three-month sentence. If she doesn't do the right thing and resign (she's showed no signs of doing that yet) her constituents can organize a 'recall petition' and force a by-election if they get enough support (10% of the electorate need to sign).

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:07 pm

I thought MP weren't permitted to resign.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:50 pm

Why do they cost £9 a day? £270 a month?

Is it because when the taxpayers pay for it, no one gives a shit how much it costs?

Don't tell me that's a fair price either because there's no reason it should cost more than a cellphone, and really it should cost less. A mobile phone would be what, £2 a day maybe?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:27 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:50 pm
A mobile phone would be what, £2 a day maybe?
At that price it couldn't be a serious, confidence-inspiring, gadget.

But you probably answered your question.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:40 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:50 pm
Why do they cost £9 a day? £270 a month?

Is it because when the taxpayers pay for it, no one gives a shit how much it costs?

Don't tell me that's a fair price either because there's no reason it should cost more than a cellphone, and really it should cost less. A mobile phone would be what, £2 a day maybe?
The answer is in one of the related articles in that link.

Government criticised over satellite tagging system
A new £60m GPS tagging system for offenders is five years behind schedule and has so far delivered no benefits, a report has said.

The Ministry of Justice had said the new technology would save money and be in place in England and Wales by 2013.

But a National Audit Office report says the plan was too ambitious and lacked evidence it would work.

The MoJ said it was now in a "strong position to continue improving confidence in the new service".

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:59 am

Shamima Begum update.
Shamima Begum flees Syrian refugee camp after IS brides issue death threats

Angry IS brides have turned their wrath on Shamina Begum after they accused her of disgracing their cause, now she’s on the run.
https://www.news.com.au/world/middle-ea ... e2e4b75329

Has been relocated to another camp.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:19 am

BORN FREE Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will raise their baby as ‘gender fluid’ and will avoid any stereotypes, according to friends

A source close to the couple told Vanity Fair that Meghan Markle, 37, was telling guests at her recent New York baby shower that she would raise their baby in a "fluid" way.

“She was talking openly about it,” said the source to the magazine.

“Meghan has been talking to some of her friends about the birth and how she and Harry plan to raise their baby. Her exact word was 'fluid'.

"She said they plan to raise their child with a fluid approach to gender and they won’t be imposing any stereotypes."

Meghan, now seven months pregnant, flew from London to the US last week for five nights of shopping and pampering.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/85368 ... o-friends/

Even royalty is tainted?!? :shock:

(OK, it's The Sun.)

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:49 am

Two of Labour's most senior figures have clashed over how to handle anti-Semitism within the party.

General secretary Jennie Formby accused deputy leader Tom Watson of "completely unacceptable" behaviour for asking complaints about anti-Semitism to be forwarded to him for monitoring.

She said his approach would "undermine" and "pollute" existing party processes.

Mr Watson stood by his request, saying "opacity and delay" by the party had led to "a complete loss of trust".

The Labour Party has been dealing with complaints of anti-Semitism over the last two years.

Mr Watson's original intervention came after nine MPs quit the Labour Party last month citing the party's failure to tackle anti-Semitism as one of the reasons.

Mr Watson emailed all Labour MPs and peers telling them he would be "logging and monitoring" complaints of anti-Semitic abuse and bullying.

Ms Formby then wrote to him, copying in all Labour parliamentarians.

She told him: "It is absolutely inappropriate for you to set up a vague parallel complaints monitoring system."

Ms Formby said that he and the party had "very strict responsibilities" to safeguard members' data under GPDR and data protection laws and asked for complaints not to be sent to Mr Watson "or any unauthorised individual".

She added: "Furthermore, you will undermine the work that my staff and I are doing and will confuse and pollute the existing formal process, compromising it and slowing it down."

Mr Watson responded: "The constant concern of those complaining about anti-Semitism in our party is that there is no transparency about the process.

"Too often those who have suffered anti-Semitic abuse have not heard anything about the outcome of their complaint.

"It is my responsibility as deputy leader of the Labour Party to ensure people have confidence in our complaints system and our ability to deal transparently with the scourge of anti-Semitism.

"I will continue to do everything I can to achieve that."

It comes as members in Diane Abbott's Hackney North constituency issued a motion against MPs who "slander the party" by claiming it is "institutionally anti-Semitic".

Labour's Stella Creasy, who represents the neighbouring London constituency of Walthamstow, said the motion was "disgraceful" and called on Ms Formby to investigate the local party.

She tweeted: "what on earth is going on... that such a motion can be put forward?"

Sheffield Hallam members backed a similar motion and called for the reinstatement of MP Chris Williamson, who was suspended by the party last week for saying Labour had "given too much ground" in the face of criticism over anti-Semitism.

Bugger'd by Colonists
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:02 am

Sadiq Khan calls for overhaul of Scotland Yard's gang matrix as 4 in 5 names on it are shown to be black

Sadiq Khan is calling for an overhaul of Scotland Yard’s controversial gangs database after it was found to include a “disproportionately” high number of young black men

The Mayor today published a review of the confidential Gangs Matrix, which was created after the 2011 riots to identify those considered at risk of becoming involved in gangs.

City Hall found that of the 3,200 names listed on the database, three quarters are under the age of 25 and four-in-five are black.

It said that while there is evidence the list has helped to reduce offending rates, measures were required to “restore trust” and ensure it is used “lawfully and proportionately”.
[…]
The report comes after an investigation by the UK’s data watchdog accused the Met of “serious breaches” of data protection laws.

Information commissioner Elizabeth Denham said details about individuals suspected of gang involvement were “inappropriately” shared with housing and education authorities, potentially jeopardising their careers and alienating communities.

The Standard revealed earlier this month that the Met is being sued by a 28-year-old man from Newham who claims his name appeared on pages from the database which were leaked onto social media.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/s ... 24006.html

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:03 am

I am offended by Germany being the bad guy in 100% of world wars. Maybe I should write to historians and ask them to overhaul their data?

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:03 am

I mean you have to really blame the Serbians for the first one.

What?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:13 pm

Sadiq Kahn should also do something about the disproportionately high number of young black men (and women) winning running events. Over 90% of Olympic sprint medal winners are of West African descent, and in middle distance running the over-representation of winners from East Africa is just as alarming.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:27 pm

ceptimus wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:13 pm
Sadiq Kahn should also do something about ...
BTW, he's totally copying Chicago.

Bear in mind that "youth" gangs (at least in Chicago) are employees of adult owned very profitable criminal enterprises. West Side Story it's not. So in effect they are now covering up the victimization of black kids by politically connected criminals.

Same in London?

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:27 pm

Same in London?
I don’t believe so.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:23 pm

Witness wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:19 am
BORN FREE Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will raise their baby as ‘gender fluid’ and will avoid any stereotypes, according to friends ...
The Palace Breaks Its Silence on False Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'Gender Fluid' Baby Story
Elle

She's also rumored to have a touch of the tar brush, but I don't believe it. :cowbell:

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:44 pm

Certainly doesn't look it in that photo.

Why do you hate diversity AA? :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:37 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:23 pm
Witness wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:19 am
BORN FREE Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will raise their baby as ‘gender fluid’ and will avoid any stereotypes, according to friends ...
The Palace Breaks Its Silence on False Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'Gender Fluid' Baby Story
Elle
More Fake News about the royals. I would feel sorry for them but on the other hand they get to live in palaces and have servants to do all the house chores, so on balance I think it's a pretty cushy life.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:28 am

Rats! Fake news… Oh, well, they already have two loons in the family, that's enough. :mrgreen:

In other news, another loon:
Police are urging Muslim women who have been intimidated or threatened for wearing western clothing to come forward.

Detectives have made the appeal after a man was today sentenced for threatening a female worker at a health centre in Bromley-By-Bow because of the way she was dressed.

Snaresbrook Crown Court heard Mohammed Amin also hurled abuse at a doctor he believed was a Christian and threatened him with violence if he was reported to police.

The 37-year-old, from Walthamstow, entered St Andrew’s Health Centre and gave a note to the Muslim worker stating that she was not following the Islamic dress code.

When her colleague confronted him he made threats towards the woman he gave the note to before targeting the doctor.

Today he was sentenced to an 18 month community order after being convicted of two counts of racially/religiously aggravated Section 4 Public Order Act offences against NHS staff on February 7.
https://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/ ... 8rbMXnFQrc