The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Giz

Re: The UK thread

Post by Giz » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:33 pm

Wow, wind is much higher than I’d imagined.

Is Boris Johnson speaking?

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:01 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:55 am

Curbing pensioner benefits could help the young, says report

Lords committee calls for free TV licences for over-75s and other perks to be scrapped

Free TV licences for over-75s should be scrapped, the age threshold for free bus passes raised and the triple-lock on pensions abolished to close the widening gap between young and old in Britain, according to a Lords report.

The House of Lords committee on intergenerational fairness and provision said it was time to rebalance government policy in favour of the young, to remove the risk of the social bonds between generations fraying further.

For reasons of fairness and because many pensioner households across the UK have become better off on average than many working-age families, it called on ministers to curb several benefits targeted at older Britons.

The report said the triple-lock – which raises state pension payments in line with the highest of consumer price inflation, average earnings growth, or 2.5% – should be removed. The increase in annual pension payments should instead track average earnings, it said.

Free TV licences based on age should be phased out but could be offered based on household income instead. The age when older people can apply for a free bus pass and receive winter fuel payments should also rise to at least five years after a person becomes eligible for the state pension, said the report.

It added that this could be phased in to coincide with the state pension age rising to 67 from 2026.
https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/ ... ays-report

Save The Children™! :mrgreen:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:40 am

Why not just gas old people and save on pensions right away?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:09 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:40 am
Why not just gas old people and save on pensions right away?
As the article says, they have first to be tricked into working longer. After that…

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:24 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:36 am

Rape victims among those to be asked to hand phones to police

Victims of crimes, including those alleging rape, are to be asked to hand their phones over to police - or risk prosecutions not going ahead.

Consent forms asking for permission to access information including emails, messages and photographs have been rolled out in England and Wales.

It comes after a number of rape and serious sexual assault cases collapsed when crucial evidence emerged.

Victim Support said the move could stop victims coming forward.

But police and prosecutors say the forms can plug a gap in the law which says complainants and witnesses cannot be forced to disclose relevant content from phones, laptops, tablets or smart watches.

Director of Public Prosecutions Max Hill said such digital information would only be looked at where it forms a "reasonable" line of inquiry, with material going before a court only if it meets stringent rules.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-48086244

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu May 09, 2019 1:18 am

UK Voting Guide for the upcoming EU Elections

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat May 11, 2019 1:00 am

UK Police Ask ‘Have You Seen This Woman?’ Twitter’s Response Is Brutal

“Have you seen Fahmida Begum? Police are very concerned for her welfare after she went missing in Bradford,” tweeted BBC Radio Leeds’ official Twitter account. West Yorkshire Police used the same photo in an appeal asking residents for help locating the woman.

Begum, a 52-year-old resident of Manningham in West Yorkshire, England, went missing on March 15. According to a local BBC report, she wears a long black dress with a full-face veil and is described as having a “large build.”

The responses to BBC Radio Leeds’ inquiry were likely not what the outlet was expecting.

I think she's hiding out in a pub beer garden somewhere.

She's the one on the left,or is it the right,no the front one,got it,back row middle...

“Jesus Christ – our security is actually in these peoples hands”
https://pluralist.com/fahmida-begum-missing-police/ [Made cuts & reshuffled.]

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon May 13, 2019 4:23 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue May 14, 2019 3:24 am

↑ Nothing like guns + civil forfeiture? :twisted:

Nigel Farage ‘fled after chauffeur driven 4×4 crashed into car carrying toddler’

A toddler was rushed to hospital after Nigel Farage ‘upped and left’ the scene of a head-on car crash, it has been claimed.

Pub landlord Patrick Tranter, 38, said his 13-month-old son George were badly shaken and both taken to hospital following the smash.

Patrick has been diagnosed with neck and shoulder injuries and possible whiplash.

The dad-of-one slammed the Brexit Party leader for what happened in the aftermath, and said: ‘He didn’t even bother to see if we were OK.’

He added Farage ‘could not possibly have failed’ to hear George’s screams, but instead collected his bag from the boot of the car and ‘vanished’.

[…]

Patrick said that his vintage car has been written off as a result of the collision and has now barred Farage from the George and Dragon pub, which he owns.

He said: ‘He lives two miles away and loves a pint, but he won’t get one from me. Man of the people, my arse.

‘As far as I’m concerned he’s barred.’

Farage has insisted he checked no-one was hurt and claimed Patrick was abusive to him.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/11/nigel-fa ... r-9497845/

Banned from the pub, a fate worse than death. :shock:

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue May 14, 2019 4:05 am

It’s like removing British citizenship

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu May 16, 2019 12:07 am

Church of England put reputation above abuse victims' needs, inquiry finds

Report into Peter Ball case criticises ex-archbishop George Carey as well as Prince Charles

The Church of England put its own reputation above the needs of victims of sexual abuse, with a serious failure of leadership by the former archbishop of Canterbury George Carey, in its handling of the case of a bishop who eventually went to prison, an official inquiry has concluded.

It also found that Prince Charles and other members of the establishment were misguided in their expressions of support of Peter Ball as he battled the accusations.

Ball, a former bishop of Lewes and Gloucester, was jailed in 2015, more than 20 years after allegations were made against him that were largely ignored or downplayed by the church. Ball accepted a police caution in 1993 and resigned as bishop but was allowed to continue officiating in the C of E.

Ball “seemed to relish contact with prominent and influential people”, a 250-page report published on Thursday by the independent inquiry into child sexual abuse (IICSA) said. He “sought to use his relationship with His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales to further his campaign to return to unrestricted ministry”.

The prince and his private secretary spoke about Ball with the archbishop of Canterbury and arranged for the Duchy of Cornwall to buy a property to be rented by Ball after he resigned as a bishop.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... uiry-finds

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat May 18, 2019 12:06 am

Important news, at last:
We're saved! Raven chicks hatch at the Tower of London for the first time in 30 years, ensuring the legend that the castle will crumble and Britain fall if they leave will NOT be fulfilled
  • Four raven chicks were hatched to parents Huginn and Munnin on April 23
  • Legend insists if the Tower of London's ravens ever depart it will fall down
  • Ravenmaster at the Tower Yeoman Chris Skaife said he was 'absolutely thrilled'
  • He said he noticed on April 23 that the parents had four healthy chicks in a nest
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... r-gap.html

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun May 19, 2019 3:24 am

McDonald’s refuses to sell milkshakes during Nigel Farage campaign to spare him a dousing

Fast-food chain agrees to police request – but rival [Burger King] suggests customers keep buying the drinks popular with political activists

A McDonald’s outlet near to where Nigel Farage was speaking was stopped by police from selling milkshakes because of fears protesters would throw the dairy-based drinks over him.

Staff said officers had ordered them to take action to avoid repeats of scenes when Ukip candidate Carl Benjamin and activist Tommy Robinson both had milkshakes hurled at them this month.

Anti-far-right campaigners have quickly adopted the tactic of throwing milkshakes during the European elections in attempts to humiliate those they disagree with.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 19856.html

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu May 23, 2019 9:08 pm

From The Times:

“A campaigner for shooters’ rights has confirmed that he lost his gun licences because of police concerns over extremist content on social media.

Callum Long-Collins, 28, runs the English Shooting YouTube channel, which reviews legal firearms and promotes the sport of “practical shooting” in which participants run along obstacle courses shooting at targets, often using assault-style weapons.

One video that Mr Long-Collins posted after the terrorist murders at the Bataclan, in November 2015, was titled, “Paris Attacks: Time for Self Defence”. The film has since been deleted.

In a BBC interview in 2016 he said: “Being British and a firearms owner, it almost feels illegal to have any sort of opinion on using guns for self-defence.””

I guess he called it.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu May 23, 2019 9:24 pm

You may recall I previously opined that high officials had to know about the grooming gangs and were protecting them.
That is it wasn't solely a question of people being afraid to diss Muslims.

I didn't have any particular theory, I just figured it had to be so because that's how corruption works.

Well well well ...

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri May 24, 2019 7:15 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:24 pm
Well well well ...

:?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri May 24, 2019 8:10 am

Looks like it was pulled.

Short version: Gordon Brown.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri May 24, 2019 11:51 pm

No jellied eels or beans and mash for the Duchess of Sussex.

She's 100% AMERICAN, buddy! :mrgreen:

Meghan Markle loves boxed mac and cheese and tater tots
Page Six (NY Post)

Not even amusingly African American. :cowbell: