The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The UK thread

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:36 pm

Remember that you lot can always do worse.

Staring right at you.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:24 pm

Boris Johnson takes his revenge and sacks over half the cabinet
Teh Gruniad

Charged language about "revenge" and "purges" aside, isn't it normal for a new PM to appoint a new cabinet?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:59 am

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:15 am

Aaaand, our new PM was elected by just 92,153 Conservative Party members. That means 65,947,857 of the population didn't vote for him.

Democracy?
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:17 am

Parliamentary system.

Far less of a percentage of Labour MPs want the Mad Racist as their leader.

Illinois did not get to vote for Obama's replacement as senator. A former governor in federal prison and the current governor sold the seat.

In the rain.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:28 am

Technically, Brits never elect a PM directly, do they? When you have an election you vote for your local MP and the party that ends up with the most MPs chooses which one of them will be prime minister (provided that they can form a government either by themselves or in a coalition with other parties). Isn't that how it works?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:48 am

It is.

Beyond my Usual HiLARioUS jokes about British teeth, lack of central heating, and USA!USA!USA! the systems sort of "work" and "not work" for their countries. The USA!USA!USA! is a federal republic. As we have pontificated, having one region dominating another leads to wars.

The UK mutters about this--one region dominating another--every so often from Scotland, Whales, and Those Prats from Sloan. The difference is imagine if the USA!US[Get on with it!--Ed.] had the House of Representatives as their primary body. The Founding Fathers [Tm.--Ed.] recognized the problem with that. You effectively vote for a party in the UK and get what the party decides. The "good thing" is usually "things get done"--unless you do not want them "done!" The bad thing is you get one party controlling everything unless as in the last few years, you get a "hung" parliament where coalitions are necessary which gives a lot of power to A Few Cunts in tiny parties.

In the US you can, and many do, vote one party for Representative, another party for Senator, and even another for President. So if you "like your Representative," you can vote for him and still vote against Her Turn. You cannot do that Our Colonies: you like your M.P. but hate May Johnson . . . heh . . . heh . . too bad! It gets even more confusing on how the P.M. is actually chosen. You can vote for your Representative, but you do not get to vote for your House leadership. Now you assume who it is, but if, as in the case of many Democrats, you do not "wike" The Thin Lady [Stop that.--Ed.] Nancy Pelosi, it is not as if your vote matters.

As Labour discovered, by rules, the M.P. do not choose their leader. The Unions and other scumbags . . . er . . . Labour voters have a significant say. So you had the case where a major majority of Labour M.P.s wisely wanted to dump the Mad Racist but could not. So imagine if the House knew Pelosi was a "best bet," but the majority of New York wants AOC because "New York!" You have a disaster.

And it gets even weirder in the UK particularly. "Back in the Day," when asthmatic was less gay, you had two parties in Ol' Blighty and this "Liberal" party that sort of, well, hung about because, like, before WWI or for a few years after, they held power for, like, a particularly unremarkable Tuesday. So you knew what you got. There were "other parties," but no one cared. Members tried to get noticed in Prime Minister's Question Time. That was it.

Until you have a hung parliament.

The Scottish National Party [SNP--Ed.] is devoted to breaking away from the UK. They finally won all but two M.P. from Scotland so they are a "major minor" party. For Labour to gain a majority, even after May fucked up the last election, Labour would have to form a coalition with it . . . which wants to break up the Union! That is the sort of insanity that is possible with a parliamentary system. Though fans of that system do not have to deal with a Parliament that votes one way, a Prime Minster that wants it another way, and everyone actually hoping that the House of Lords will sort it out! Except in USA!USA! there is no "sorting out" since unless the House and Senate and President agree nothing happens.

The only "break" is if the President's party holds a majority in both houses with a "super" majority in the Senate to quash filibusters or if the party against the President holds super majority 2/3rds of both houses basically force legislation down the President's throat by overriding his vetos.

As with most systems, both countries "fell" into what they have over time and it seems natural that they have what they have.

In the rain.

--J.D.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:38 pm

Who elects a leader by "direct democracy"?

Russia.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:59 pm

Well, at least PMQT is entertaining again.

--J.D.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:44 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:15 am
Aaaand, our new PM was elected by just 92,153 Conservative Party members. That means 65,947,857 of the population didn't vote for him.

Democracy?
It's still over 90,000 more votes than our European President, von der Leyen, got. That means over 508,000,000 of the population didn't vote for her.

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:35 pm

ceptimus wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:44 pm
asthmatic camel wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:15 am

Democracy?
It's still over 90,000 more votes than our European President, von der Leyen, got. That means over 508,000,000 of the population didn't vote for her.
To be fair, she still got more votes than most of the Germans who have tried to run Europe

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:02 pm

OK, bored and on Google Maps I found this scene outside an old Abbey. What the flying fuck is happening here?

https://goo.gl/maps/NZiWuP225tQRvWkJ7

https://goo.gl/maps/Rhtn2MP2Y6y7oCbT8
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:24 pm

The real problem for Doris Dumbass, err Boris Gump err (stop that, ed.) is that, for all his bluff, bluster and bullshit, he still leads a minority government, just about propped up by the heavily bribed D.U.P. In addition to that, he's heartily loathed by many of his own MPs, a goodly number of whom are against Brexit altogether or won't vote to leave without a deal.

So far, he's threatened to suspend parliament in order to force through a no-deal Brexit. (Good luck with that!) He's also assured us that he'll be able to negotiate a better deal than Theresa May was able to achieve over the last three years. (Good luck with that, too!)

We Brits live in interesting times.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:36 pm

Which goes back to the Japanese Original Problem were those in favor of leaving never formed a consensus on "what" that would be exactly and too many of them refuse to compromise.

Boris may be loathed by many members of his party, but Mad Racist Jeremy is loathed by them more.

Whether he can negotiate a "good deal," or even a deal that will convince his party to unite behind it, well, I will not hold my breath on that!

You must be just loving Rees-Moog. . . .

--J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:38 pm

I just hope The Queen© gets fed up with the clowns and sends everybody to the Tower of London.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:47 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:24 pm
The real problem for Doris Dumbass, err Boris Gump err (stop that, ed.) is that, for all his bluff, bluster and bullshit, he still leads a minority government, just about propped up by the heavily bribed D.U.P. ...
OK. Had to look up the DUP, though likely you explained it before.
Reverend Ian Paisley's old party. Him I've heard of.

Questions:

So when you say "minority government" you mean the Tories are a minority but only just, right?
So it's coalition politics with some religious crazies holding the balance?
You say they were bribed. What was the price?

Sounds like Israel. :lmao:

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:57 pm

From the above link, which you couldn't be bothered to click, faggot-ass.

Yes, it's in coalition with a bunch of nasty, religious loonies.

The cost was £1,000,000,000, Linky, given by a PM who was keen to point out that the government had "No magic money tree."

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:17 pm

You linky-poo does not work in the USA, but it gave me enough of a clue to find this one.

https://www.businessinsider.com/theresa ... ion-2017-6
May has agreed an extra £1 billion of spending in Northern Ireland plus further controls over an extra £500 million in already committed funds to the province. Yet any extra spending in Northern Ireland will lead to immediate calls for increased spending in Scotland, Wales and England, under the spirit of the so-called Barnett Formula. ...
No mention of the DUP getting any cabinet minister appointments.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:21 pm

For those unable to handle large numbers--ones above 100--it does not take a lot of defection in just the Tory party for it to lose a vote. This is basically what has happened in the various "Brexit votes" where May could not convince her party to unite behind "whatever" her plan was.

It gets weirder in that even Labour was not united either.

Looking over the numbers the fear is that if Labour took power, unless it won an out-right majority--and the numbers show it needs to pick up ~75 seats to avoid being in the Tory mess since Sinn Féin does not actually show up, it would have to form a coalition. Since they did not appear ready to do that, with whom do they form a coalition?

The smaller parties may not be enough unless Labour gets at least ~60 more seats, and that assumes that the smaller parties want to join with a Mad Racist. This possible situation led to questions as to whether or not Labour would join with the SNP which wants to dissolve the union. Even Mad Jeremy was not so stupid to advocate that during the election.

What would be really interesting for no one who has to live under it, is if there is a "snap election" for various reasons including a successful "no confidence," the Tories remain about the same or pick up/lose a seat or two, and Labour only picks up like 40 or so, so neither are in a position to hold a majority.

This happened back when Labour got voted out and the LSD Party [Stop that!--Ed.] became "kingmaker." Their coalition, opposition to Brexit, and other silliness ended up making them seem superfluous so they got nearly erased in the next election which the Tories won decisively . . . then Brexit . . . then May . . . and here we are.

So what if the "small parties" do not have enough to form a working coalition with either the Tories or Labour however they divide? Or if say Green + Mad Raving Loony Party--Darryl-- can form a coalition with Labour that just gets them to 325, but the Greens want things even Mad Jeremy does not want to give up? Darryl wants his lemon to be declared Emperor of China. Since Mad Jeremy cannot keep his own party together, he has the same problem with one or two Labour M.P.s proving enough for them to be defeated which can bring us right back to another election.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:40 pm

About that racism in the Mad Racist Jeremy's party:
Labour's shadow immigration minister has said he is "sincerely sorry" after sharing what he described as "an anti-Semitic conspiracy" on social media.

Manchester Gorton MP Afzal Khan shared the Facebook post in 2015 when he was an MEP for the North West of England.

His apology comes days after Manchester councillor Majid Dar was suspended over alleged anti-Semitic posts online.

Conservative politicians and Jewish groups have called for an inquiry into Mr Khan's conduct.

The post in question features a video of the US comedian Jon Stewart talking about the Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Underneath the video the text prominently refers to an "Israel-British-Swiss-Rothschilds crime syndicate" and "mass murdering Rothschilds Israeli mafia criminal liars".

["Snip!"--Ed.]
After being contacted about the post by the BBC, Mr Khan said "I am mortified and sincerely sorry about this genuine accident.

"I didn't read the text below, which contained an anti-Semitic conspiracy about the Rothschilds. I would never have shared it if I had seen that," he said.

The other one has bells on it. . . .
Bugger'd by Colonists
--J.D.