The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: The UK thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:40 am

Donald Trump and Boris Johnson 'already working on' UK-US free trade deal
Sky News (UK)
Donald Trump has said he and Boris Johnson have already started working on a free trade deal between the US and the UK.

The US president said the pair had spoken since Mr Johnson became prime minister and that they plan to spend time together to formulate an agreement.

Downing Street confirmed that talks between the two leaders had taken place on Friday evening and that they would meet at a G7 summit in Biarritz, France, next month.

Number 10 said Mr Trump had expressed his commitment to an "ambitious free trade agreement", with formal talks to begin "as soon as possible after Britain leaves the EU".

In another Friday night phone call, Downing Street said Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also pledged to work towards a "smooth transition" to a free trade agreement with the UK after Brexit.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos. -- Abdul Alhazred

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:01 am

asthmatic camel wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:08 pm
Perhaps I will completely move the goal posts now that I have been shown Mad Racist Jeremy is a racist and is mad.
So you cannot show how Mad Racist Jeremy will pay for his promises.

Quod erat demonstrandum times four.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:37 am

Giz wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:59 pm
Also, I will feel more sympathy with the “overworked” U.K. police when they stop arresting 3000 people a year for offensive tweets.
reference?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Giz

Post by Giz » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:42 am

ed wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:37 am
Giz wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:59 pm
Also, I will feel more sympathy with the “overworked” U.K. police when they stop arresting 3000 people a year for offensive tweets.
reference?
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/poli ... -b8nkpgp2d

https://www.google.com/amp/s/reason.com ... -po/%3famp

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:07 am

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:43 am

Giz wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:41 pm
asthmatic camel wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:08 pm
Perhaps I'm mad...

(Actually, I am according to medical professionals.)

But, I'm smart enough to outwit most professional investors...

And way better at managing money than Conservative Party chancellors of the exchequer, who promised repeatedly to reduce the national debt since taking power in 2005.

Q.Fuckin.E.Cuntin.D
That graph appears to be a condemnation of Gordon Brown... renowned “conservative” chancellor and then PM over the 2005 to 2010 period.

My apologies, I should have said since taking power in 2010. I was thinking of David Cameron becoming Conservative Party leader in 2005.

And, speaking of racism, the Conservatives have repeatedly promised to reduce net immigration to 100,000, a target which they have come nowhere near achieving. Linky. Concern over immigration was mostly why the leavers won the Brexit referendum.

Gordon Brown? The "No more bust and boom, Iron Chancellor"? A dreadful chancellor and an even worse PM.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:36 am

asthmatic camel wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:43 am
And, speaking of racism, the Conservatives have repeatedly promised to reduce net immigration to 100,000, a target which they have come nowhere near achieving. Linky. Concern over immigration was mostly why the leavers won the Brexit referendum.
Make no mistake. That Mad Jeremy is a racist, and he bears culpability for the racism in his party does not make the Tories or any other party as pure as the snow driven to the Thames Embankment. Just as that he is Mad Racist Jeremy did not make The Gray Lady competent or Boris the Bullet Dodger not a clown.

Racism behind Brexit is an issue as it is in all countries that want control on their cultures--whatever that means. I can understand playing the "MY Ancestors learned English!!" and that as part of the natural fear of "new" or "different." I can understand not wishing to import cultures that still treat women as chattel slaves or soccer as a sport. Uncontrolled immigration has other problems.

Separating legitimate concerns from racism can be difficult.

Unless it is bloody obvious as in the case Whatever the Fuck the BNP Cunts call themselves.

It is an old issue. We can quote Eric Clapton on the matter. In fact, let me see if one of my favorite Terry Gilliam bits in on t3h y00t00bz:

Crap! The Story of the Prince with the Black Spot. Anyways. . . .

Same in the USA!USA!USA! though I like to joke that what is "white" now was not white then: Italians, Irish, Jews, Gits from Swansea, et cetera.

Though I would suggest that Brexit is "more than that" which is part of the problem. The EU's basic plan for migration was the hope that most would not bother to learn German or Dutch or Whatever the Fuck they Speak in Belgium and move on to the Merry Ol' American Colonies [Stop that.--Ed.]. Separating how much is "Oh look! Black as the Ace of Spades!" and how much is upset with the idea of ""England! This precious stone ... set in the silver sea!"

Start at 1:22

having to agree to economic and legal and cultural rules from a bunch of Prefers Suppositories to Proper Pills Frenchies would upset anyone.

But. . . . how much is the support for Brexit over those legitimate issues and not "Bloody Darkies!"? I would like to hope that 51ish percenty of the United Kingdom [Cue "Last Night of the Proms": all stand for "God Save the Queen"--Ed.] is not racist.
Gordon Brown? The "No more bust and boom, Iron Chancellor"? A dreadful chancellor and an even worse PM.
What? I thought he saved the world!

Evidences:

Too soon?

Though I disagreed with Brown I sort of felt sorry for him. He was the Al Gore to Blair's Clinton. Was suppose to be PM--it was His Turn!--but he was, well, "Brown."

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:56 am

Doctor X wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:36 am

What? I thought he saved the world!

Evidences:

Too soon?

Though I disagreed with Brown I sort of felt sorry for him. He was the Al Gore to Blair's Clinton. Was suppose to be PM--it was His Turn!--but he was, well, "Brown."

--J.D.
Who'd have thunk it? Doctor X has a heart after all. :D
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:14 am

RETRACT THAT!!11!!!!1!! [!--Ed.]

--J.D.

P.S. "Da Peoples" who made the wonderful The Queen with Martin [Stop it.--Ed.] Sheen as Tony Blair did the also wonderful The Deal regarding Tony's rise to power and stepping over Brown. They were not sure about the actor who plays Brown, but he put on weight and worked on Brown's sort of, well, "unable to relate to people" and they freely admit they were won over.

Done by other people, The Coalition is also wonderful. You will love "That Guy from The League of Gentleman, the Iron Bank, and Mycroft Holmes playing Peter Mendelsonysnomdekurt. The guy playing Cameron is fantastic as is the guy who plays Brown. Their "Brown" just keeps pissing off the LSD [Stop it!--Ed.] by acting as if they are just there to keep in and Labour in power.

Brown just . . . did not have "it." In a way, he was like May other than no one considered May "PM Material" until Cameron decided to "Bugger Off" as your commentator aptly put it and the Tories were left with the 2016 Republican Presidential Candidates. Including Trump . . . er . . . Johnson. Labour clearly did not have a replacement for Blair plus Too Many Shits Brownies were sick of waiting all of those years.

Instead, it was His Turn, but by that time people were sick of Tony. So he had to answer for the Sins of Tony without getting any credit for any successes.

You have probably seen this, but it still makes me laugh and sort of summarizes the problem between Brown 'n Blair:

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:00 pm

With ongoing disappointment I ascertain that JRM is very unacceptable

Andy Kelly
‏ @Andy_eprr

JRM Esq. if you don't mind.

StokeyLitFest
‏ @StokeyLitFest

JRM, Cnt.

Cyrus Bales
‏ @CyrusBales

Imperial measurements?!?!

That's awkward because I know Jacob Rees-Mogg is a cunt in metric, but I'm unsure how that converts to imperial.

Sam Williams
‏ @skydiversam

2.54 Centicunts

John Smith
‏ @FuryfromtheDeep

Centicunts is still metric

Adam Smethurst
‏ @adamsmet66

Cuntches
Discussion on the point here.

--J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:48 am

Child poverty cash handed back to Europe unspent

More than £3.5m intended to alleviate child poverty and homelessness is at risk of being wasted because the government has failed to spend it, says a House of Lords committee.

Peers have written to the Home Office saying it is "extraordinary" that the EU funding has not been used.

They warn that some of the cash has already been forfeited and are worried about the rest being handed back.

The government said there had been "barriers" over spending the money.

But peers have written to complain that after almost six years, the government has failed to deliver spending aimed at addressing "the worst forms of poverty".

About £580,000 of unspent cash has so far been taken back - and a further similar amount is at risk of being deducted at the end of the year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49131685

Proves the UK doesn't need the EU. :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:17 am

Turks welcome 'Ottoman grandson' Boris Johnson as British leader

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkey celebrated incoming British prime minister Boris Johnson’s Turkish heritage on Wednesday, with politicians and media proclaiming that the “Ottoman grandson” could strengthen ties between two countries on Europe’s fringes.

The former London mayor is the great-grandson of the Ottoman Empire’s last interior minister, Ali Kemal, and his ancestry has been a source of pride for many Turks.

Despite his sometimes disparaging remarks about Turkey, including a crude limerick about President Tayyip Erdogan and demands in 2016 that Britain veto Turkey’s accession to the European Union, Johnson is affectionately referred to as “Boris the Turk” by some Turkish media.

“Ottoman grandson becomes prime minister,” read a front-page headline of the opposition newspaper Sozcu. “For England, a prime minister with roots in Cankiri,” it said, referring to Kemal’s home province in central Turkey.

Like Johnson, his great-grandfather was a journalist who went into government, a move that proved ill-fated. In the final days of the Ottoman Empire, Kemal was captured and lynched by nationalists fighting to establish the Turkish state.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKCN1UJ1E8

:mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:42 am

Muslim parents in the UK refuse ‘non-halal’ children’s flu vaccine

Muslims parents in England refused to permit their children to get flu vaccines after the Muslim Council of Britain ruled the treatment is ‘non-halal’.

Public health officials are concerned over the increasing number of Muslim children expected to be withdrawn from a major flu vaccine drive, The Telegraph reported.

The programme is set to begin in schools next month. Every child of primary school age will be offered a nasal spray to protect people of all ages from the virus.

However, Muslim parents have been told that the Fluenz spray is forbidden by Islam because it contains gelatin — derived from pigs, which are considered unclean.
https://www.samaa.tv/living/health/2019 ... u-vaccine/

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:17 am

Shades of the Indian mutiny (cartridges made from cow and pig fat*)

* cow and pig! the raj didn’t discriminate when discriminating!

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:26 am

“Your new Prime Minister is a liar” is projected onto Buckingham Palace

https://royalcentral.co.uk/interests/re ... ce-126736/

Aw! Shocking! :shock:

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:11 am

Giz wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:17 am
Shades of the Indian mutiny (cartridges made from cow and pig fat*)
There is a fantastic treatment of that whole "godawful small affair" by George "You've Seen My Movies!" Frazier's "Flashman" character. Sort of a guide on how to quite royally fuck up a situation thinking mere "rationalism" will defeat emotion.

--J.D.

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:34 am

Love the flashman books. Along with Colleen mccolloghs (completely different) First Man in Rome series, my favorite historical novels

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:41 am

I am impressed by the amount of research he did over the periods covered. Reading about the Tai Ping Rebellion, I wondered, "why the hell did they not mention this is school? I am disappoint."

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:27 am

Labour would surge clear of Tories under Boris Johnson if Jeremy Corbyn replaced as leader, poll indicates

The finding comes as four separate polls – the first surveys of the new Tory administration – gave Mr Johnson a lead over Labour, and speculation of an early general election continued to mount.

Pollsters YouGov found the Conservatives 10 points ahead of Mr Corbyn’s party, while Deltapoll’s results suggested a 5-point lead, and a third by ComRes indicated a much narrower lead of one point.

The Deltapoll for The Mail on Sunday placed Mr Johnson’s party on 30 per cent while Labour were in a second place on 25 per cent, and the Liberal Democrats on 18 per cent. It showed the Brexit Party losing ground, on 14 per cent.

But if Labour was to drop Mr Corbyn as leader, the poll added the party would shoot into the lead at 34 per cent, with the Tories on 28 per cent, and the Lib Dems under new leader Jo Swinson on 13 per cent.

The poll also indicted a majority – 55 per cent – of the British public believed a general election was likely in 2019.

Mr Corbyn has recently been on the defensive, fighting off accusations of the party’s poor handling of antisemitism allegations, and its Brexit stance that led a dire performance at the European elections earlier this year.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

Mr Johnson has ruled out a public vote before the October Brexit deadline, but speculation is rife that Mr Johnson’s hardline rhetoric on a no-deal scenario could result in such a motion toppling his government in autumn.

Writing in The Mail on Sunday, polling expert professor John Curtice said there is “good reason to believe that either the pressures or the temptation to hold an election will prove too great between now and Christmas”.

But he added: “The party whose leadership he has just acquired is in a weak electoral position. Recently, the polls have on average suggested that just one in four voters would back the Conservatives in an immediate general election.

“The party’s electoral difficulties will be underlined if, as widely anticipate, it loses the Brecon and Radnorshire constituency in Thursday’s by-election.

“Yet Labour is in no better a position. It too has been running at just a quarter of the vote. The party’s current leader, Jeremy Corbyn, is currently deeply unpopular.

Read by the People Too Unfashionable to Run the Country
Sorry to make you cry, asthmatic.

Relax.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:39 pm

Oh my. When I was a wee lad, my Nana, who was a bit of an Anglophile, had this coffee table book:

At the time I didn't really understand the literary reference.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare