The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: The UK thread

Post by ed » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:44 pm

Screen Shot 07-30-19 at 08.43 AM.PNG

errrrrrrr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I care :rub:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Here, better? :)
Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:39 pm
Oh my. When I was a wee lad, my Nana, who was a bit of an Anglophile, had this coffee table book:

https://www.amazon.com/This-England-Nat ... B0013GFA14

At the time I didn't really understand the literary reference.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:58 pm

IMG_9947.JPG
Like this? :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I care :rub:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:57 pm

Interesting piece from Mark Steyn.

https://www.steynonline.com/9576/berrying-boris
Until his car passed through the gates of Buckingham Palace en route to the kissing of hands, I didn't quite believe Boris Johnson would actually make it to the premiership. That's partly because many years ago he arrived late at a Spectator lunch, told us he'd just realized he was going to be prime minister, and we all laughed. Yet, a quarter-century later, here he is. As his sister Rachel points out, only fifty-five people have ever become UK PM, and, even if one has difficulty recalling the names of any of the recent occupants, that's still fewer than have gone into space.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:38 pm

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:51 am

ed wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:58 pm
IMG_9947.JPG

Like this? :D
That's the one she had. Yep. :mrgreen:

Wish I still had a copy. I think my parents might still have it.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:49 am

Met Police must pay three men £414,000 after corrupt officer tried to frame them for axe murder

The Metropolitan Police has been ordered to pay three men a total of £414,000 after a corrupt officer tried to frame them for the axe murder of Daniel Morgan.

Sitting at the High Court on Wednesday, Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb said the damages would "highlight and condemn the egregious and shameful behaviour" of Detective Chief Superintendent David Cook.

It marked the end of a marathon fight for compensation by Jonathan Rees, Glenn and Garry Vian, who came under investigation after Mr Morgan was found dead in March 1987.

The victim was found with an axe embedded in his face in a car park at the Golden Lion in Sydenham, south-east London.

There were no witnesses to the killing, but Mr Rees and the Vians were charged with murder in 2008 after Gary Eaton, a criminal, claimed they had been nearby.

The three men spent two years in jail before the case collapsed in March 2011 after it emerged that Eaton had been "coached" by Cook.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... ied-frame/

Nothing about the future of Mr. Cook. :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:37 pm

Minister: keep suspects anonymous if there is a reputation to protect

Justice secretary floats idea of not naming some people accused of serious crimes

The justice secretary has suggested that the anonymity of suspected sex offenders and others accused of serious crimes should be respected until they are charged if they have a reputation to protect.

Robert Buckland QC was asked if he supported a campaign to ban the naming of those arrested on suspicion of rape and other sexual offences, which has been led by Sir Cliff Richard and the radio presenter Paul Gambaccini, both falsely accused of historical sex offences.
[…]
Buckland told the Times (paywall): “Let’s say you are a reputable local businessperson who is accused of fraud. Your good name is going to be really undermined by this mere accusation. You are a person of good character. That might be a meritorious case for anonymity.

“Let’s say you are a person with a list of previous convictions. You’ve committed offences. There is intelligence out there that suggests that other victims might come forward. Is that a case where anonymity should be automatic?”

Official guidance over whether arrested suspects’ names should be published ahead of charge is mixed, but the names are often disclosed by other means – particularly in high-profile cases.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... to-protect

Can't ruin the lives of Important People™. The lesser ones…

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:04 pm

Universal rights are so passé.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:01 pm

solely

Post by solely » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:29 pm

His shirt doesn't fit. I would check my change.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:40 am

Pro-EU Liberal Democrats take parliamentary seat from British PM Boris Johnson’s Conservatives, reduces majority to one
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/a ... -pm-boris/

What the title says.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:45 am

That's a majority of one including the Paisleyistas, I take it.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:09 am

Yes. There's at least one Tory MP threatening to join the opposition LibDem party in September - and we'll then have a minority government, even with DUP support.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:35 am

It is looking more and more like there will be an election.

Forget Brexit, the Tories do not have a working majority. I am not sure that means Labour could gain a majority or convince the LSD [Stop that. – Ed.] the LibDems to form a coalition with them if Mad Racist Jeremy leads it. Even Mad Racist Jeremy cannot form a coalition with SNP – and the numbers may not work for a majority anyways – so who knows?

Depending on the polls, mayhaps the LibDems do NOT want an election since if Mme. Farage makes a deal with Boris the Bullet Dodger to either support Tory candidates or form a coalition with the Tories and the polls suggest they will get wiped out again. They may also consider Mad Racist Jeremy too extreme to support or want to let win.

"Interesting times, Francis!"

—J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:56 pm

But can he push no-deal Brexit through real quick before losing parliament?

I get the impression that is Johnson's plan, not trying to settle in for a long time.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:16 am

Edinburgh Festival Took Pound Hedges to Sign Up Foreign Artists

Organizers of Edinburgh’s performing arts festival took hedges on the pound earlier this year in order to sign up international artists amid Brexit-induced currency volatility.

Managers hedged most of their currency dealings between six and eight months ago, shielding the festival’s budget from sterling swings, director Fergus Linehan said in an interview with the Financial Times. The three-week event features theater, dance and musical events with performers from 41 countries, from Russia to Nigeria.

“No one wants to do deals in sterling any more,” Linehan said. “So you’ve got to do all the arrangements in dollars and euros.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... gn-artists

:mrgreen:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:01 am

Scottish independence: new poll reveals majority now in favour of quitting UK
The Week (UK)

A majority of Scots are now in favour of independence amid growing uncertainty over the terms of Britain’s departure from the European Union, a major new survey has found.

As seen in the pic, it's not independence they want. It's a better choice of groveling target. :)

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:24 am

↑ That picture is from April (it's not so cold right now).

Tory home secretary says government should be allowed to read people’s WhatsApp messages

Priti Patel calls for access to users’ data on messaging apps

The home secretary has claimed end-to-end encryption of Facebook’s messaging platforms would hinder police investigations into child abuse and terror plots.

After the Five Eyes security summit, which took place on Monday and Tuesday, Priti Patel said tech firms should not “empower criminals” with their products.

Senior ministers from the Five Eyes partnership, comprised of the UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the US, met tech firms at the London meeting to discuss security issues.

They voiced their concerns about end-to-end encryption, used by messaging apps such as WhatsApp and Telegram, where only the message sender and the receiver can see its content.

The platform itself cannot read the messages, meaning there is no way for investigators to obtain information on criminal activity directly from the firms.

Facebook is considering using end-to-end encryption on Facebook Messenger and Instagram Direct.

Writing in The Telegraph, Ms Patel called for tech companies to provide a “back door” into such messaging apps, which could be used by law enforcement organisations to tackle crime.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 28371.html

Undoubtedly for our own good (and then they can crack down on disrespectful messages, which is less exhausting than running after thieves and murderers). :|

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:31 am

Drug overdose eclipses suicide as biggest killer of middle-aged men, ONS figures reveal

Suicide is no longer the biggest killer of middle-aged men, new data has revealed, as deaths caused by drug overdoses have eclipsed them for the first time.

Suicide was previously the leading cause of death for males aged 35 to 49.

However, figures published today by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) reveal that men in this age group are now more likely to be killed by drug overdoses or accidental poisonings, amid concerns from public health experts of a looming opiate crisis.

This marks the first time that accidental poisoning has overtaken suicide - which is now the second-leading cause of death - as the biggest killer of middle-aged men. Suicide was previously the leading cause of death for males in this age group for the past three years running.

In 2018 there were 1,336 deaths attributed to accidental poisoning in men aged 35 to 49. This accounted for 12.5 per cent of deaths for men in this age group, up from 10.9 per cent in 2017.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... -aged-men/

Suicide by opiates? :|