The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Giz

Re: The UK thread

Post by Giz » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:41 am

UK survey of 5000 subjects reveals:

“People of every age group, ethnicity and social backgrounds say they would “rather live in a society that focuses on giving people more security” than one that “focuses on giving people more freedom”.
In total, 65% of respondents favoured security, compared to 35% who chose society based on freedom. “

“61% of people believe that “on the whole, jobs and wages have been made worse by technological change”.”

“When asked about different ways to run the country, 80% of people support “having experts, not government, make decisions according to what they think is best for the country” and 84% who favour “having a democratic political system”. ”

“Younger voters are most authoritarian. Among 25-34 year olds, 36% support army rule; 66% favour strongman leaders; and 26% believe democracy is a bad way to run the country. “

“Older voters are considerably more democratic. Among over-75 year olds, just 3% of over-75s believe democracy is bad. Among 65-74 year olds, fewer than half (48%) support strongman leaders and just one in ten (10%) people support army rule. “

https://www.ukonward.com/thepoliticsofbelonging/

I’m not sure where to start complaining about the idiocy.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:57 pm

Of course such people are suckers for false promises of security, and can't do anything about it when they realize.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Sort of unusual. 36% support "army rule"? 66% "strongman leaders"?

Is that really right? Maybe there's something weird about how the polling was done.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:42 pm

Where's her nose ring?

Some silly regulation about it not being part of the uniform? 8)

solely

Post by solely » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:59 pm

Say no to hair shaming.

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:14 pm

The chief constable never said to play with live wires before the interview. He just said that whoever talked to the news should have elocution running through them.

solely

Post by solely » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:36 pm

Hint, a hat would complete the uniform.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:28 pm

Giz wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:41 am
“Younger voters are most authoritarian. Among 25-34 year olds, 36% support army rule […]
Yet they don't seem to flock to the military:
UK army combat units 40% below strength as recruitment plummets

Exclusive: Defence secretary Ben Wallace urged to turn ‘shocking trend’ around as matter of urgency

Data released by the Ministry of Defence under freedom of information laws shows the number of soldiers in the British army’s infantry regiments has declined steadily over the past five years. There are more than 2,500 fewer personnel in frontline units than 2015, and all 16 regular regiments are have shortfalls.

The figures have prompted criticism of the outsourcing company Capita, which signed a contract with the MoD to manage recruitment to the armed forces in 2012, for its “shambolic and chaotic” handling of the situation. The have also been calls for the defence secretary, Ben Wallace, to address the crisis urgently. [Nothing like privatization, uh?]

Publicly available data published quarterly by the MoD shows a 7.6% deficit in personnel across the army on 1 January 2019, but the figure masks a more dramatic shortfall in frontline troops.

Guardian analysis of the FOI data for the same period shows that nine of the 16 infantry regiments were 20% or more below their “workforce requirement” – the planned number of personnel needed. Four were 25% or more below their required strength.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... t-plummets

But then, military rule needs just one dictator with enough medals on his 1 pretty uniform, right? :mrgreen:

1 "Her" if it's a dictatrix.

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:44 pm

The Guardian comes to a belated realization:

“In the absence of a formal constitution, British democracy is heavily reliant on politicians acting with honour”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... xit-itself

I guess we’ll have to see how that turns out.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:10 pm

UK PM backs 'stop-and-search' power, says will create 10,000 more spaces in prisons

(Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has given support to the police’s “stop-and-search powers” and also pledged to create “another 10,000 spaces” in UK prisons.

“... I am announcing today that in all 43 police authorities in England and Wales, we are making clear that the police can and should make use of their stop-and-search powers”, he wrote in the Mail on Sunday, adding that such a step was needed to combat crime.

Johnson also wrote that Finance Minister Sajid Javid has agreed to spend up to 2.5 billion pounds ($3.01 billion) to create 10,000 additional spaces in prisons.

He insisted on tougher sentencing laws for “serious sexual and violent offenders”, as well as for those carrying knives.
https://in.reuters.com/article/britain- ... NKCN1V1020

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:32 am

The Queen is reportedly 'dismayed' by British politicians who she says have an 'inability to govern'
  • The Queen has expressed disappointment at the British political class's 'inability to govern,' according to a report.
  • The 93-year-old monarch made the comments at a private event following the resignation of David Cameron as prime minister in 2016, the Sunday Times claimed.
  • 'I think she's really dismayed,' said a royal source, who added: 'I've heard her talking about her disappointment in the current political class and its inability to govern correctly.'
  • Her frustration is said to have grown since.
https://www.businessinsider.com/queen-e ... ans-2019-8

:twisted:

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:24 am

Caroline Lucas, the Green MP, has written in the Guardian newspaper that Britain needs a "Unity Government" composed entirely of all-women, all-white, all-remainer MPs.

This is perfectly acceptable because sexism and intolerance is fine providing it's coming from the far left.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eal-brexit

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:20 am

You are a RACIST cis-hegemonic white supremacist if you think otherwise.

I will pray for you.

–J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:55 am

ceptimus wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:24 am
Caroline Lucas, the Green MP, has written in the Guardian newspaper that Britain needs a "Unity Government" composed entirely of all-women, all-white, all-remainer MPs.

This is perfectly acceptable because sexism and intolerance is fine providing it's coming from the far left.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eal-brexit
The answer to sexist stereotypes is more sexist stereotypes!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:22 pm

ceptimus wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:24 am
All white. :o

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:59 pm

Children of British Isis members will not be allowed to return to UK, government rules

‘If these children are not returned to their country, rehabilitated and reintegrated into their communities, they will all become future terrorists,’ warn the Kurdish authorities

Children of British Isis members stranded in Syria will not be allowed to return to the UK, the government has reportedly decided.

At least 30 British children are currently being held with their mothers in camps in northern Syria, after being detained as they fled the crumbling Isis caliphate.

The government has been under pressure to bring them home from the dangerous and overcrowded camps, both from local Syrian authorities and from the Trump administration. Earlier this year the infant son of Shamima Begum, the teenager who fled her home in Bethnal Green to join Isis, died weeks after arriving at one of the facilities.

The former foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt had said following the death that the government was working with the then international development secretary, Penny Mordaunt, on whether the children could be safely returned.

But Sajid Javid, the former home secretary, concluded after a review that it would be too dangerous to send officials to retrieve the children from Syria, according to The Times – despite the camps being regularly visited by British aid workers and journalists.

A number of European countries have repatriated stranded children, however. France, Germany, Norway and Denmark have all brought a small number back, most of whom were orphans whose parents were killed during the caliphate’s final months. Australia also recently brought home eight children and grandchildren of two Australian nationals who fought for Isis.

Some 70,000 women and children who fled the Isis caliphate in its last months are being held in camps by the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), a mostly Kurdish militia that defeated the terror group with US and UK backing. The largest of those facilities is al-Hol camp, which is currently housing some 11,000 foreign citizens. The SDF is also holding some 800 European Isis fighters.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 54306.html

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:56 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:08 am

Are those things tentacles?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:27 pm

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:35 pm

Giz wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:41 am
UK survey of 5000 subjects reveals:

“People of every age group, ethnicity and social backgrounds say they would “rather live in a society that focuses on giving people more security” than one that “focuses on giving people more freedom”.
In total, 65% of respondents favoured security, compared to 35% who chose society based on freedom. “

https://www.ukonward.com/thepoliticsofbelonging/

I’m not sure where to start complaining about the idiocy.
Well, the government has sissified the population to such an extent this isn't terribly surprising.

I give you Neil "It doesn't bear thinking about" Tipping
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -pond.html
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!