Claus!!

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
skeptica

Claus!!

Post by skeptica »

:evil:

:roll:

I see that you can't resist cutting and pasting your slogan over and over again... ;)

By the way, welcome to the nascent Skeptical Community board...
skeptica

Post by skeptica »

CFLarsen wrote:Evidence?
Well, if it isn't you, Claus, I'm just about ready to install a mod that will control a situation like this...

G6
renata

Post by renata »

skeptica wrote:
CFLarsen wrote:Evidence?
Well, if it isn't you, Claus, I'm just about ready to install a mod that will control a situation like this...

G6
Hi Girl 6 :) Great board! Will impersonation of people be not allowed? It sounds like it might be a good idea, from this example. Ah, behold the evil of the slippery slope ;)
LuxFerum

Post by LuxFerum »

Claus got banned? :shock:
renata

Post by renata »

LuxFerum wrote:Claus got banned? :shock:
Moderator abuse!! Moderator abuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember the good old days, when mods did not arbitrarily delete users. I don't see any rules against impersonation! I think Girl 6 has had it, and should resign immediately before this place goes further into moderated hell. I volunteer to take her place. Lickspittles may apply to my PM box :lol: :lol: :lol:
skeptica

Post by skeptica »

It's not him...

I'm clearing up the posts in his name and restoring it.

I haven't banned him. :D

G6
renata

Post by renata »

skeptica wrote:
It's not him...

I'm clearing up the posts in his name and restoring it.

I haven't banned him. :D

G6
I can't believe how quickly you got corrupted by the power you wield. Tsk Tsk. ;)
LuxFerum

Post by LuxFerum »

evidence?

Who was him?
Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Do you mind telling us who that was, so that we can lynch him or her? :twisted:
skeptica

Post by skeptica »

Quester_X wrote:Do you mind telling us who that was, so that we can lynch him or her? :twisted:
It's all cleaned up. :D

I have an idea of who it was, but you guys know me. I never reveal information like that. Suffice it to say, I'm glad it happened. I think I will move forward with a mod for flood control that should help in the future.

I was more concerned about Claus' reputation than anything else. It's all fine now.
Andalyn

Post by Andalyn »

skeptica wrote:
Quester_X wrote:Do you mind telling us who that was, so that we can lynch him or her? :twisted:

I have an idea of who it was, but you guys know me. I never reveal information like that. Suffice it to say, I'm glad it happened. I think I will move forward with a mod for flood control that should help in the future.

I was more concerned about Claus' reputation than anything else. It's all fine now.
We had the same problem at mu.nu. One way around it was requiring PM confirmation sent via JREF Forum PM system. Unforutately, this causes a bit of a lag and a headache for Admin, but was effective in stopping impersonators. :)
Skeptoid

Post by Skeptoid »

G6,

You do have some software control over flooding by setting a minimum amount of time between posts by the same user. Like 1 minute.
Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Post by Bearguin »

But set it to less than a minute.

At least until it becomes a problem.

Besides, how could someone make Claus look worse :roll:
LuxFerum

Post by LuxFerum »

Skeptoid wrote:G6,

You do have some software control over flooding by setting a minimum amount of time between posts by the same user. Like 1 minute.
nooooooooooooooo :(
that makes my spamming difficult :(
no one in particular
Title: Incredulous Bastard

Post by no one in particular »

On a hunch, I began to examine our spammer's avatar (Img. 1) with a bit of the written text (Img. 2) on JREF forum member !Xx+-Rational-+xX!'s website. Note that our spammer originally started out with CFLarsen's JREF avatar, but later changed it to Img. 1.

Both bits of text look as though they were drawn with a mouse in a program similar to MS Paint. If you, dear reader, have ever tired to do such a thing you would notice that it is very difficult to duplicate any one effort. It may be possible to pick our major similarities, though.

Notice the similarities in the "t" in both images. Both test samples use a "t" with a leg on it instead of the cross style "t." Also, the "r" is made in a single stroke, not a down-then up stroke.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~bldavis36/r ... arson2.JPG

Oh well, not in the least conclusive. I was bored, though.

Ah yes, there was one other thing... On !Xx+-Rational-+xX!'s silly website (as linked above) we find this claim:
I coined the term "kooktard" which is used to insult believers now use it against the opposition!
And, yes, we find that a google search turns his website up as the only hit for that term. Relevance, you ask? Well, our spammer's signature was this:
Kooktards must be crushed under the jackboot of skepticism
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Fine . . . make charges without evidence. . . .

Flees flying bricks. . . .

--J.D.
renata

Post by renata »

Andalyn wrote:
skeptica wrote:

We had the same problem at mu.nu. One way around it was requiring PM confirmation sent via JREF Forum PM system. Unforutately, this causes a bit of a lag and a headache for Admin, but was effective in stopping impersonators. :)
Yeah, we got some assholes impersonating well known JREF posters. At munu it is an automatic bannable offense for the impersonator.

We did not require PMs for regular posters. The ones that we suspected, based on their behaviour of impersonations were contacted on JREF- and I think all 4-5 times our suspicions were confirmed. Also, anyone who wanted to be a mod had to confirm their identity to me via JREF. Regular posters did not have to go through that.
slimshady2357

Post by slimshady2357 »

no one in particular wrote:On a hunch, I began to examine our spammer's avatar (Img. 1) with a bit of the written text (Img. 2) on JREF forum member !Xx+-Rational-+xX!'s website. Note that our spammer originally started out with CFLarsen's JREF avatar, but later changed it to Img. 1.

Both bits of text look as though they were drawn with a mouse in a program similar to MS Paint. If you, dear reader, have ever tired to do such a thing you would notice that it is very difficult to duplicate any one effort. It may be possible to pick our major similarities, though.

Notice the similarities in the "t" in both images. Both test samples use a "t" with a leg on it instead of the cross style "t." Also, the "r" is made in a single stroke, not a down-then up stroke.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~bldavis36/r ... arson2.JPG

Oh well, not in the least conclusive. I was bored, though.

Ah yes, there was one other thing... On !Xx+-Rational-+xX!'s silly website (as linked above) we find this claim:
I coined the term "kooktard" which is used to insult believers now use it against the opposition!
And, yes, we find that a google search turns his website up as the only hit for that term. Relevance, you ask? Well, our spammer's signature was this:
Kooktards must be crushed under the jackboot of skepticism
Well done, I find your evidence interesting, though not compelling.

Now, who the hell is really !Xx+-Rational-+xX!? :mrgreen:

Adam
no one in particular
Title: Incredulous Bastard

Post by no one in particular »

slimshady2357 wrote: Well done, I find your evidence interesting, though not compelling.
Good, then, we share the same position. This is why I drew no conclusions. It is entirely possible that the drawings were coincidence. It is also entirely possible that the spammer lifted the word "kooktard" from !Xx+-Rational-+xX!.
slimshady2357 wrote: Now, who the hell is really !Xx+-Rational-+xX!?
It appears that I have an uncommon opinion on this matter. I think that !Xx+-Rational-+xX! is an original (that is, I think he is not an Ian or some other's sock) poster. From the moment that he showed up at the JREF forum, he had an easily identifiable character. He has poor grammar and an odd sense of humor. I would be utterly impressed if anyone was able to maintain that character for so long without outing themselves.