How much the world can change in one lifetime

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: How much the world can change in one lifetime

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:53 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:36 pm
Interesting point.

The internet changed a lot of things. I play an RPG over the internet on Sundays. Our group is three Americans, a Brit, A Croatian and a Pole. The Croatian, though, is currently living in Belize.

When it was a kid, that would have been impossible/unthinkable on several levels. Now, it’s trivial and not the least bit odd
Remember pen-pals? We were encouraged to have them at school and I maintained a friendship with an American girl in Colorado Springs for over ten years, others, mostly furriners trying to learn English, not so long. :)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:09 am

Its funny. When you watch a movie it can be terribly dated and quaint with a couple of events
- the use of a flip phone
- a character advancing the plot by being unable to communicate with someone.
- not knowing where someone is

Any depiction of tech is a sure indicator of age. Worse than those wide lapels that Abdul used to wear.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:42 am

ed wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:09 am
Its funny. When you watch a movie it can be terribly dated and quaint with a couple of events
- the use of a flip phone
- not knowing where someone is
You just described the plot of roughly half of all Star Trek episodes.

shuize

Post by shuize » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:48 am

asthmatic camel wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:53 am
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:36 pm
Interesting point.

The internet changed a lot of things. I play an RPG over the internet on Sundays. Our group is three Americans, a Brit, A Croatian and a Pole. The Croatian, though, is currently living in Belize.

When it was a kid, that would have been impossible/unthinkable on several levels. Now, it’s trivial and not the least bit odd
Remember pen-pals? We were encouraged to have them at school and I maintained a friendship with an American girl in Colorado Springs for over ten years, others, mostly furriners trying to learn English, not so long. :)

I “took” German in high school but I was a terrible student. To make things interesting our teacher arranged for us to have pen pals in Germany. I was paired with a girl in Cologne (I might even still have her picture somewhere) whose father was an English teacher, so her English was excellent. Our correspondence lasted for two or three letters (in English) and then she wrote a letter saying I should try more German with the rest of the letter in German. She may have said she wanted to move to America and be my forever sex toy, but I couldn’t understand a word of it. Oh, well. I’m sure it wasn’t my only missed opportunity.

Later in life I visited Cologne. Nice place.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:09 pm

We have marvelous toys. But when so many find affordable housing and healthcare elusive, I would agree they have not seen prosperity.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:11 pm

ed wrote:
A character advancing the plot by being unwilling to communicate is another--apparently has its roots in a Victorian desire to preserve reputation at all costs.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:11 pm

ed wrote:
Worse than those wide lapels that Abdul used to wear.

I have located the ensemble ed wore for his high school graduation reception in a museum in Abbottabad, Pakistan of all places.

Photo credit: Museum of Infidel Shenanigans, Abbottabad.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:12 pm

Hey, I had a pen-pal in England. Just so happens on a whim I looked her up on FB a few weeks ago. I found someone of the same name who lived in England that was approximately the right age, but my greeting is probably lost in her "other" folder. Or it isn't her at all. Or she's like, "who's this guy?"
--Soldier, TF2

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:35 pm

I hadn't thought of that, gnome. I found my friend easily enough on FB and it seems she's doing well. Don't think I'll bother contacting her, though; it might seem a bit weird 30 years later. :)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:07 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:35 pm
I hadn't thought of that, gnome. I found my friend easily enough on FB and it seems she's doing well. Don't think I'll bother contacting her, though; it might seem a bit weird 30 years later. :)
:cry:

I doubt that. Would you think it weird if she contacted you? As long as you don't include a dick pic, I think she'd be thrilled.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:50 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:35 pm
For that matter, this very conversation could not have taken place. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:22 pm

Heh. She's a Good 'Ole, Godfearin', Bible-Belt, Republican Gal, never did have much in common. :D

ed

Post by ed » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:49 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:11 pm
ed wrote:
Worse than those wide lapels that Abdul used to wear.

I have located the ensemble ed wore for his high school graduation reception in a museum in Abbottabad, Pakistan of all places.

Photo credit: Museum of Infidel Shenanigans, Abbottabad.
Still looks snappy.

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:32 pm

The www has changed a lot since 1994. Just 25 years, but it could be a lifetime.
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

ed

Post by ed » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:39 pm

I have collected books for years. Used to be a "big deal" to deal with a foreign seller, snail mail catalogs, weeks to consummate a deal. I recall when, thru ABE, I started regularly dealing with a dealer in Oz. WOW!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:49 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:24 pm

The first photo interview: Michel Eugène Chevreul (chemist and color theorist) for his hundredth birthday, by Nadar in 1886.

Quoting from the interview:

"… C'est là l'inconvénient de cette philosophie de rhéteurs, de grands diseurs de rien. On se contente de mots et de paroles creuses."
… That's the disadvantage of this philosophy of rhetoricians, great sayers of nothing. We are content with words and hollow sentences."

The Post Modernists aren't that modern, after all. :mrgreen:

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:45 am

Those are cool shoes.

ed

Post by ed » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:14 am

If "24" was made a few years before it was.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:33 am

Heh. My first camera was a Voigtlander Bessa, which I bought at a school auction for £0.50 and later sold for £5.00. Wish I'd kept it. :(

A far cry from the Canon I mostly use now.