Reminisce: Old Cars

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Reminisce: Old Cars

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:50 pm

My very first car was a 10 year-old 1965 Ford Thunderbird. At 16, it wasn't really mine; rather my dad's. He bought it for 'the kids' so it was a hand-me-down from two sisters above.

But it was mine, really. Even when they used it, I fixed it. Or 'hacked' is a better term. But I knew it.

I'd give my left nut, and both of ed's, to have that car today in the condition it was then. I was allowed to sell it for what I could get at age 16. I took the first offer of $300. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I could have got $400. It had a 390(5?) V8 (6 worked) and electric everything (though only the headlights worked). If I had it today I'd rebuild it from scratch. I'd make tens of dollars on resale.

My very second car was a 1973 VW bug. It really was mine because I got to take the $300 from the Thunderbird and add $1000 of my own to own it. I wrecked it in the first week by not quite understanding the process of a clutch in starting; I drove through a Sears Automotive Store. But insurance paid for that (daddy paid insurance!). I might have loved that car more than the Thunderbird. It certainly used less gas than a V8 with two bad pistons and didn't have 'electric' anything, so everything pretty much worked. And I remember that smell; it was a new-car smell that lasted forever. I can't describe it but something akin to rotting rubber that smelled like perfume. .. I'd like to have that now too.

After that, it was all down hell. Not hill: hell.

After that, was a brand new 1985 Ford Mustang 5.0 I bought cash with saved navy money. Might as well have been a 1.0 for how it ran after a year; I fucking hated that car but couldn't afford another. I used that into marriage, 10 years later. I guess I can't complain but for the constant walking after breakdowns.

Nyarlathotep

Re: Reminisce: Old Cars

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:36 pm

My first car was a 1985 Mercury Lynx. Red. Really really red. I loved that car, but it met its end when my inexperience as a driver (I never got a license until I was 25, because of my driving phobia) caused me to be less than careful going through an intersection and I got t-boned. No one was hurt, but my red Lynx was totaled.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:58 pm

First was a '55 Chevy. Got into a headon and totaled it. Then a 65 mustang fastback. Something went on the engine and I sold it for $600. Shoulda put it on blocks or something.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:34 pm

For me, a 1984 Chevy Celebrity Eurosport that was ten years old at the time. I didn't know crap about buying cars, and my stepdad, who is usually much smarter, fell for the "little old lady who barely used it" line about the apparent low mileage. Buried in the paperwork, noticed too late to do anything about it, was that the mileage had rolled over. I was always getting the thing fixed for oil leaks or overheating, but it more or less worked.

Until a year or so later. I drove from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale (about a six hour drive) to visit a girl I'd met at USF. We were never officially dating, but there'd been some casual fun. She'd moved back home after graduating to be near her parents.

The whole trip was a comedy of errors. I was able to arrive without any trouble--the car had a persistent oil leak, but as long as I kept adding oil as needed, it was fine. After an awkward weekend of mixed signals and botched opportunities that I'll spare you the details of, it was time to go home. So I headed back across Alligator Alley late at night, intent only on getting back home, and completely neglecting to add more oil.

I was about halfway across when the engine started running rough. I let off the gas to try and baby it, but suddenly there was a loud BANG and the engine started racing. The car had thrown a rod, though I didn't know what that was yet. I was able to get it pulled over, and so there I was in the middle of nowhere, FL at 2AM or something like that, no cell phone, and probably surrounded by alligators and murderers. Luckily, that road had a call box system at every mile marker, and one was close by. That got me a tow to the Collier county visitor center.

I would have called my roommate, but he was in no position to help as he was visiting his future wife in South Carolina. I didn't want to call my parents and admit that I'd screwed up, so instead I called another Tampa girl I'd sort of dated for a while that also wound up more of a flash in the pan. But, we were still friends and her parents had AAA. That service was able to get me and my car to a randomly chosen mechanic in Naples, where I got the bad news. I junked it for 45 bucks. Then I wound up having to call my roommate after all, because his parents lived in Ft. Meyers and they got me the rest of the way home. Though that messed with my roommate's weekend because he had to explain to them why he couldn't fetch me himself, and he'd been hoping to keep his OWN trip from them.

I wound up taking city buses for a while. It wasn't too bad because I lived right next to a major hub. I think my stepdad wound up feeling guilty about getting scammed, because even though it was absolutely my screwup that blew up the car, he bought a new pickup and gave me his old one (a Silverado that became known as The Behemoth).
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:56 pm

To demonstrate just how reminisceable my first car was, I don't remember it. I don't even remember what color it was.

However, one of my early cars was a 1959 Chevy that I bought in Idaho in cherry condition when I was 22 (or thereabouts).

Some drunk asshole smashed into it while it was parked. Totaled. I cried. That'll learn me not to park a nice car on the street. The police hauled her ass off to jail. I didn't cry about that. Asshole.

The only other memorable car I owned was a 1983 DeLorean. It was my daily driver. Sweet ride.

Oh, and for a short while I had a 1963 Greenbrier van that I was planning to rebuild. That didn't work out. Maybe some day.

Or, what the heck, maybe build a van version of the 59 Chevy, kinda like this:

But with gull wing doors, of course. 8)

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:16 pm

xouper wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:56 pm
The only other memorable car I owned was a 1983 DeLorean. It was my daily driver. Sweet ride.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:58 pm

Working at the local radio station while in high school I bought a new '73 Datsun B210 hatchback.
Screen-Shot-2015-07-12-at-10.41.35-PM.jpg
Not a shot of mine, but close enough. $3007.00 was the price back then. $500 down and 85 a month for 36 months.

Good basic transportation. Came with an AM radio. Ripped that out and installed a TEAC cassette (cassette??!!!) player and some nice speakers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:15 am

When my company finally started making some $, I reflexively bought a Corvette. Horribly disappointing.
Whenever there was a problem you had to leave it at the dealer for at least a day, more often overnight. Then they would inform you that some widgit was busted but that they didn't stock it. So you had to retrieve the car and schedule another visit. The seatbelt was broken when I got it. They couldn't get a replacement part (no, they wouldn't take it off another floor model). I finally called Detroit and bitched. The dealer called me on vaca complaining that I went over their head but they fixed the damn thing when I got back. The last straw was when the AC died. The part necessitated removing the entire dashboard. Two days. Then they didn't stock the part. Had the car for less than a year and bought a used Mercedes sports thing. Never knew shit about cars and didn't care.

It occurred to me that while I had a high end Chevy, the dealer was optimized for Chevette service. NG.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:23 am

My first car was a lime green lincoln continental. My friends called the "pimp mobile."

not long after it came into my possession (it was used of course) the rear bumper fell off.

I liked to put my cassette tape of The Doors in when tooling around. This was the first track I remember

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

xouper

Post by xouper » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:50 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:23 am
My first car was a lime green lincoln continental. My friends called the "pimp mobile."
Sweet.

I always fancied getting me a Mark IV Landbarge.